German Cultural Council: Silence TV Talk Shows for Telling Too Much Truth
2018-06-13 19:05:55 UTC
The head of Germany's most powerful cultural body has called for the plug
to be pulled on the nation's multitude of political talkshows for a year,
arguing that their populist agenda has helped fuel the rise of the far
right.

Olaf Zimmermann, who heads the German cultural council, an umbrella group
for organisations from art galleries to television companies, said public
broadcasters needed to step back and rethink a format that has helped
cement gloom-ridden public attitudes towards refugees and Islam, and
propelled the Alternative für Deutschland party into parliament at last
September's election.

"I'd suggest for them, take a break for a year, though the length of the
intermission isn't the decisive factor. What is crucial is that they return
with new talkshow concepts and try to come up with more suitable contents
with regards to social cohesion in our society," Zimmermann said, arguing
that the public broadcasters ARD and ZDF were obsessed with refugee-related
issues, often framing them negatively.

The cultural council, which is taxpayer funded, has pointed out that since
2015, at the height of the refugee crisis when almost a million refugees
and migrants entered Germany, more than 100 political talk shows have put a
topic related to migration at the centre of their discussion.

Since September's election, which saw the AfD enter the Bundestag for the
first time, much debate has surrounded the extent to which framing an
issue, or lending a topic a certain perspective, might have helped their
cause.

Television analysts have argued that the issue of refugees has been dealt
with in a mostly negative way.

TV bosses have defended their formats, admitting the intensity of the
refugee debate led to the topic being far more widely discussed in 2015 and
2016 than ever before, but arguing that it was no longer a dominant theme.

Even last week, however, ARD's main talkshow HART ABER FAIR - HARD BUT FAIR
- led with the question: "To what extent is it possible to integrate young
men who have fled from war and archaic societies? How unsafe is Germany as
a result of them?"

The programme was triggered by the murder of a 14-year-old German girl
whose body was discovered in Wiesbaden last week. The 20-year-old Iraqi man
suspected of her rape and murder was extradited from Iraq to Germany this
week to face trial.

Zimmermann said in too many cases refugees were unfairly presented as a
threat to German society.

The production team of HART ABER FAIR said it rejected the accusation that
they had unfairly labelled all refugees as dangerous. "As journalists we
find the concept of framing alien to us. We are simply trying to represent
the issues which are occupying people, for what they are," they said.

A recent talkshow moderated by the veteran host Sandra Maischberger was
advertised in TV listings with the title: "Are we too tolerant towards
Islam?" Critics were quick to pounce on the word "we" as being problematic
because it suggested "them and us". The programme's title was swiftly
changed to: The Islam debate: where does our tolerance end?

Other recent talkshow topics included ones entitled Refugees and
criminality, and Beethoven or Burka?

Kai Hafez, a media analyst, said that immigration was rarely presented in
talkshows as anything other than negative. "The viewers get used to these
negative expressions, and long-term that way the rightwing populists manage
to press their points home," he told Der Spiegel.

For their part, the AfD-- whose representatives are relative newcomers on
the talkshow circuit, the party only having been founded in 2014-- have
been deeply critical of the extent to which they are excluded from TV
debates.

Last week that impression was only intensified after Alexander Gauland, the
party’s leader, had his invitation to appear on HART ABER FAIR withdrawn in
protest at his description of the Nazi era as the equivalent of "a bird
shit" in the context of "more than 1,000 years of successful German
history".

AfD supporters reacted to the ban with fury on social media, calling it
part of a campaign to squeeze the party off the airwaves.

Typically a German talkshow concentrates on a single topic for 60 to 90
minutes. Guests invariably include media representatives, at least one
member of the cabinet and opposition politicians.

Many media watchers have long been critical of the extent to which the
arguably tired and unimaginative format dominates German television,
accusing programme makers of choosing it because it is cheap-- despite
Germany having one of the highest licence fees in the world-- and blaming
it in part for the dramatic fall in viewers in recent years.

Controllers of the broadcasters have hit back. "We believe the talk shows
are an enriching part of our programming," Rainald Becker, the
editor-in-chief of the ARD told Die Welt. "Of course we discuss Islam now
and then, but we also have other topics such as housing, the collapse of
bee colonies or the shortage of carers.

"And to those who want to complain, I say to them: you know that there's an
off switch."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/13/populist-talkshows-fuel-rise-of-far-right-german-tv-bosses-told
Ed Stasiak
2018-06-13 21:09:05 UTC
The head of Germany's most powerful cultural body has called for the plug
to be pulled on the nation's multitude of political talkshows for a year, arguing
that their populist agenda has helped fuel the rise of the far right.
I’m amazed that so many in Europe openly call for mass censorship, because
I seem to remember another group that tried that.

Oh yeah, the FUCKING NAZIS…
Rhino
2018-06-13 21:31:31 UTC
The head of Germany's most powerful cultural body has called for the plug
to be pulled on the nation's multitude of political talkshows for a year, arguing
that their populist agenda has helped fuel the rise of the far right.
I’m amazed that so many in Europe openly call for mass censorship, because
I seem to remember another group that tried that.
Oh yeah, the FUCKING NAZIS…
The Communists were pretty big on censorship too, if I recall....
2018-06-13 21:30:34 UTC
[...]
I'm somewhat encouraged that the issue of immigration is actually being
discussed in Germany. I had feared it had already been off-limits due to
a perception that it was divisive or racist or "Islamophobic". I firmly
believe that the citizenry of a country MUST have a say in what
immigration policy is in that country. After all, if the citizens of
Germany or Canada or the United States have NO SAY in immigration
policy, then WHO *does* have a say? Clearly, if ordinary citizens have
no say, then only the government is making that policy and they may not
act in accordance with the wishes of their citizens. I would argue that
we've had this problem in Canada for many years now, especially under
the current Trudeau administration. In the light of Trump's efforts to
temporarily block travel from a few countries, Trudeau effectively
opened the doors to Canada and said everyone was welcome here. He
certainly didn't consult with me or anyone I know before he did that.

As for this move by the umbrella group to stop talking about
immigration, I don't think they have any business dictating what
networks can talk about on their shows or what the format is. Surely, if
these shows are unpopular, however old-fashioned the format, people
enjoy those shows and should be allowed to keep watching them. Given
that the networks continue to air these shows, I can only assume people
are actually watching them. If I'm not mistaken ARD and ZDF are
well-established popular networks, not new "fringe" networks emerging to
agitate people or whatever.

If their content on immigration is perceived as negative, maybe that's
because the German experience with immigration is, in fact,
significantly negative! If that is so, and people perceive their old
parties as not doing enough to combat the negatives, it's not surprising
that a newer party like AfD would attract votes. Suppressing discussions
of immigration *may* have the effect of diminishing interest in AfD but
wouldn't solving the problems that people perceive be a far better
solution than trying to make the discussion "verboten" (forbidden)?

Suppressing the conversation seems tantamount to telling everyone to
shut up and just forget that the emperor is naked. If immigration is
indeed causing problems, efforts need to be made to solve those problems
or, in the event that criticisms are overblow, nPROVE THAT THEY ARE
OVERBLOWN. If people are persuaded that the problems are overblown, they
will mostly calm down and stop worrying about the matter.
2018-06-13 23:38:31 UTC
The head of Germany's most powerful cultural body has called for the plug
to be pulled on the nation's multitude of political talkshows for a year,
arguing that their populist agenda has helped fuel the rise of the far
right.
Wow! If I were a Libertarian I'd be really pissed right now.

---
2018-06-14 02:02:33 UTC
The head of Germany's most powerful cultural body has called for the plug
to be pulled on the nation's multitude of political talkshows for a year,
arguing that their populist agenda has helped fuel the rise of the far
right.
Wow!  If I were a Libertarian I'd be really pissed right now.
Ya' know... not for nothing, but who gives a shit?
We have enough problems to worry about in this fucking country right now...

We have a delusional leader who thinks he can wish away problems with a
tweet, says we should jail journalists, and calls the press "the enemy
of the people".

Fuck what Germany is doing...
--
"I'm all the way down now. I can see all the way to the bottom.
They said there were two fathers, one above, one below.
back down at you." -James Delos (Westworld 5-12-18)
BTR1701
2018-06-14 02:45:29 UTC
The head of Germany's most powerful cultural body has called for the plug
to be pulled on the nation's multitude of political talkshows for a year,
arguing that their populist agenda has helped fuel the rise of the far
right.
Wow!  If I were a Libertarian I'd be really pissed right now.
Ya' know... not for nothing, but who gives a shit?
We have enough problems to worry about in this fucking country right now...
We have a delusional leader who thinks he can wish away problems with a
tweet, says we should jail journalists, and calls the press "the enemy
of the people".
And yet this is a TV newsgroup and I posted something about TV, which
has the distinct quality of being on-topic, unlike all the crap you
bitched about above.

Yet again FPP jumps in to whine about someone posting something on-topic
in rec.arts.tv
FPP
2018-06-14 03:27:21 UTC
[...]
Was that just in your ass, and you needed to pull it out right away?
Where did I bitch about anything being "off topic"?

I bitched about you giving a shit about petty things going on in
Germany, where you don't live - while ignoring everything going on
around you where you DO live.

I could give two shits about what's "on topic". I'm not sure I could
even give one shit about what's going on in Germany.
BTR1701
You didn't. You bitched that I posted something on-topic.
Rhino
2018-06-14 16:40:21 UTC
[...]
Well, you certainly don't give two shits about TV. In all the thousands
of posts you've made, I don't recall you EVER posting one about TV. I'm
not sure you even HAVE a TV, let alone use it to watch TV, let alone
care about even one show that's on it.

EVERYTHING you say is off-topic!
2018-06-14 23:45:47 UTC
[...]
Can I help it if you're an ignorant fuck?
Now, want me to prove you wrong again, like usual?

Here... look 'em up yourself right here. It's so simple even you can do it:
http://al.howardknight.net

The entire "Samantha Bee" thread is on topic:
<peovip$qii$***@dont-email.me>

Anthony Bourdain's suicide:
<pfdqal$igj$***@dont-email.me>

Bill Maher:
<pfirm0$o25$***@dont-email.me>

Seth Myers:
<peo7s5$5tg$***@dont-email.me>

Fear the Walking Dead:
<pdu6v6$t6u$***@dont-email.me>

Roseanne:
<pekpur$mgp$***@dont-email.me>

Reverie:
<pf0p89$7kg$***@dont-email.me>

HBO documentary:
<peoq3d$ipr$***@dont-email.me>

The Daily Show:
<peks4b$tau$***@dont-email.me>

Will Smith:
<pcimqm$s9e$***@dont-email.me>

I could go on, and on, and on because the fact of the matter is you're
full of shit, like usual, and I can back up whatever I say.

You should try it sometime... you ignorant fuck.
Rhino
2018-06-15 16:57:13 UTC
[...]
Awesome job, asshole! Only ONE of those links, the first one, actually
does anything and that just takes you to some kind of search engine for
looking up Usenet articles and it needs some kind of article ID which
you haven't provided. All of the remaining links create new empty emails.

Your citations are as useless as your "contributions" to our threads.
2018-06-15 17:52:43 UTC
[...]
Not to defend FPP, but those were Message-IDs, not links. Use them to
look them up on your own News server or via a Web interface like Howard
Knight's: http://al.howardknight.net/

Note that the angle brackets are significant.
BTR1701
2018-06-15 18:22:40 UTC
Your citations are as useless as your "contributions" to our threads.
Not to defend FPP...
Careful now... FPP might think you're flirting and bust out his bottle of
ass wax again.
Adam H. Kerman
Oh! That's mean.
FPP
2018-06-15 20:21:02 UTC
[...]
FUCKNUTS... I guess I gave you more credit than you deserved. They
aren't direct links, they're "Message ID's"

Here are the "Fucking Moron Instructions" for people like you.
(Write them down, or get a smart dog to help you.)

Go to: http://al.howardknight.net (like I said).
Input the links (that I GAVE you,) in the box that says:

"Usenet Article Lookup"
"Please provide an exact Message-ID, angle brackets included, to look up:"

THEN PRESS THE KEY ON YOUR KEYBOARD THAT SAYS:
"RETURN" and WAIT TWO SECONDS.

CAN YOU DO THAT, you fucking ignorant moron? Or do you need somebody to
hold your hand?
Darrel Knutson
2018-06-14 09:29:19 UTC
[...]
Yeah, really on topic. German TV talk shows, none of which I ever watch
here in Germany*, meaning that likely no one who reads what you wrote
actually watches them either.

* Except occasionally "Neo Magazin Royale" with Jan Böhmermann. That guy
rocks.

You know that so far you have just reported on one guy's opinion, right?
No decisions have been made.
BTR1701
2018-06-14 14:45:07 UTC
Post by Darrel Knutson
[...]
There's no requirement that a TV show have a certain quota of viewers in
this group before it's on-topic to talk about it.
Darrel Knutson
2018-06-14 18:29:58 UTC
Post by Darrel Knutson
[...]
Geezus! Stop writing stuff like this. I just about burst out laughing
out loud on a full yet quiet subway ride home.

I live in Germany and have watched exactly one episode of a German TV
talk show so far this year (and it's much more off the wall and bitingly
satirical than Samantha Bee has ever been). Since I'm likely to be the
only one here that has done even that, I'd say that's a pretty low
threshold and you don't have to take account of any perceived need on my
part, that's for sure. Gimme Steven, Trevor, Noah, Samantha, Bill, Jim,
Robin and Jordan any time.

I can't even tell you any details about any other talk shows in Germany,
although I might recognize the names of a few "moderators" or
"talkmasters" (as they are called in German).

Name your favorites:
BTR1701
2018-06-14 18:51:14 UTC
Post by Darrel Knutson
Post by BTR1701
Post by Darrel Knutson
[...]
No, it's true and has the added benefit of obviously annoying you, so I do
believe I'll continue.

(How does it feel to constantly be so publicly impotent?)
Post by Darrel Knutson
I live in Germany and have watched exactly one episode of a German TV
talk show so far this year
No one cares and what you do and do not watch is irrelevant to the question
of whether my post was on-topic in this newsgroup.
Darrel Knutson
Having a bad day are we?
BTR1701
Nah, you're the gift that keeps on giving!
Ed Stasiak
2018-06-14 19:10:01 UTC
Darrel Knutson
BTR1701
Darrel Knutson
BTR1701
*snip*
You’re (again…) getting suckered into the predictable “thread shifting”
that happens when someone is losing the argument or can’t come up
with a valid response.

POSTER #1: “The sky is blue.”
POSTER #2: “Oh yeah! Then what about Drumpf, huh?!”
POSTER #3: “I know right? Drumpf really sucks!”
TROTSKY: [something about penises]
FPP
2018-06-14 23:11:58 UTC
Darrel Knutson
BTR1701
Darrel Knutson
BTR1701
*snip*
You’re (again…) getting suckered into the predictable “thread shifting”
that happens when someone is losing the argument or can’t come up
with a valid response.
POSTER #1: “The sky is blue.”
POSTER #2: “Oh yeah! Then what about Drumpf, huh?!”
POSTER #3: “I know right? Drumpf really sucks!”
TROTSKY: [something about penises]
It has a name you know... "whataboutism".
BTR1701
2018-06-15 02:43:58 UTC
You're (again...) getting suckered into the predictable "thread
shifting" that happens when someone is losing the argument or
can't come up with a valid response.
POSTER #1: "The sky is blue."
POSTER #2: "Oh yeah! Then what about Drumpf, huh?!"
POSTER #3: "I know right? Drumpf really sucks!"
TROTSKY: [something about penises]
It has a name you know... "whataboutism".
And you're its Mozart.

But in reality, "whataboutism" is a meangless term that you can use to
distract people with when someone points out your hypocrisy or the
logical fallacy in the premise of your argument.

Here's an example that I recently saw in a YouTube vid:

INTERVIEWER: The US won't deal with you because of your human rights
abuses.

SUBJECT: That's logically inconsistent since the US deals with
Saudi Arabia and Israel in spite of their human rights
abuses.

INTERVIEWER: Whataboutism! (skrrrrreeeee!)

And say what you will about "whataboutism" but it's the never-ending
hypocrisy from the progs here that constantly fuels it.

"Whataboutism" is a necessary tool used to demonstrate the
"hypocricyism" and "double standardism" that are the hallmarks of
liberalism and progressivism.
FPP
2018-06-15 03:12:09 UTC
[...]
Only when you can't address the question at hand is it a negative thing.
It's a perfectly fine tactic if you address the issue, and THEN point
out the hypocrisy.

It's when you employ it so that you DON'T have to address it that it
becomes hypocritical.
moviePig
2018-06-15 13:21:12 UTC
[...]
Yes, the hallmark of 'whataboutism' is its question-mark, which aims to
render an adversary speechless, and a discussion victoriously ended.
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
BTR1701
You just described the race card.
moviePig
2018-06-15 18:39:46 UTC
[...]
...or any of several "magic issues". But those, at least, have real
issues at their core, whereas 'whataboutism' is just a dishonest tactic
-- adaptable to any room, and as useful there as a loud fart.
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
FPP
2018-06-15 20:22:24 UTC
[...]
No, he didn't. At all.
BTR1701
Even Pig admitted that he did, you preening buffoon.
FPP
2018-06-15 22:34:03 UTC
Yes, the hallmark of 'whataboutism' is its question-mark, which aims to
render an adversary speechless, and a discussion victoriously ended.
You just described the race card.
No, he didn't. At all.
Even Pig admitted that he did, you preening buffoon.
Oh, pig did? The guy you keep pointing to and telling us how wrong he
is all the time?
Do tell?
FPP
2018-06-15 22:34:32 UTC
Yes, the hallmark of 'whataboutism' is its question-mark, which aims to
render an adversary speechless, and a discussion victoriously ended.
You just described the race card.
No, he didn't. At all.
Even Pig admitted that he did, you preening buffoon.
Well, then it *MUST* be true!
moviePig
2018-06-16 02:43:00 UTC
Yes, the hallmark of 'whataboutism' is its question-mark, which aims to
render an adversary speechless, and a discussion victoriously ended.
You just described the race card.
No, he didn't. At all.
Even Pig admitted that he did, you preening buffoon.
Pig acknowledged some commonality, e.g., in the effect on discussion.
He *also* pointed out a difference (and would be happy to explain why
it's a significant one).
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
Darrel Knutson
2018-06-15 05:44:08 UTC
Post by Darrel Knutson
I live in Germany and have watched exactly one episode of a German TV
talk show so far this year
No one cares and what you do and do not watch is irrelevant to the question
of whether my post was on-topic in this newsgroup.
It simply provides substatiation that no one, absolutely no one here is
interested in the topic of German TV talk shows, none of which you are
likely ever to have seen, and yet even someone who happens to live in
Germany with ample opportunity to watch them is also completely
uninterested.

You may be on-topic, sure, but for about the stupidest purpose
imaginable. Being on-topic should provide no cover for being inane and
stupid.

Being so fucking close to the edge of being off-topic while at the same
time being stupid in purpose and intent is not something I respect.
BTR1701
2018-06-15 06:24:23 UTC
Post by Darrel Knutson
Post by BTR1701
Post by Darrel Knutson
I live in Germany and have watched exactly one episode of a German TV
talk show so far this year
No one cares and what you do and do not watch is irrelevant to the
question of whether my post was on-topic in this newsgroup.
It simply provides substatiation that no one, absolutely no one here is
interested in the topic of German TV talk shows
Well, netkop, if group interest is the metric by which we're judging the
validity of posts now, you'd find yourself in a bit of a pickle.
Post by Darrel Knutson
none of which you are likely ever to have seen
So what? I participate in discussions of shows that I haven't personally
seen all the time. It's still on-topic, netkop.
Post by Darrel Knutson
and yet even someone who happens to live in Germany with ample opportunity
to watch them is also completely uninterested.
Your interest in a show is not required for a post about it to be
on-topic, netkop.
Post by Darrel Knutson
Being so fucking close to the edge of being off-topic while at the same
time being stupid in purpose and intent is not something I respect.
I'm not sure you can conceive of how little I care about what you do and
do not respect, netkop.
Darrel Knutson
2018-06-15 08:31:59 UTC
Post by Darrel Knutson
Post by BTR1701
Post by Darrel Knutson
I live in Germany and have watched exactly one episode of a German TV
talk show so far this year
No one cares and what you do and do not watch is irrelevant to the
question of whether my post was on-topic in this newsgroup.
It simply provides substatiation that no one, absolutely no one here is
interested in the topic of German TV talk shows
Well, netkop, if group interest is the metric by which we're judging the
validity of posts now, you'd find yourself in a bit of a pickle.
So what?
Post by BTR1701
Post by Darrel Knutson
none of which you are likely ever to have seen
So what? I participate in discussions of shows that I haven't personally
seen all the time. It's still on-topic, netkop.
Netkop means nothing to me in the 8 languages I have spoken. Stop being
a turd. Turd? You understand that, right?
Post by BTR1701
Post by Darrel Knutson
and yet even someone who happens to live in Germany with ample opportunity
to watch them is also completely uninterested.
Your interest in a show is not required for a post about it to be
on-topic, netkop.
So what? No one is interested in the topic.
Post by BTR1701
Post by Darrel Knutson
Being so fucking close to the edge of being off-topic while at the same
time being stupid in purpose and intent is not something I respect.
I'm not sure you can conceive of how little I care about what you do and
do not respect, netkop.
You just love to naval gaze and prove the last point to the, well point
of silliness. Good for you. Next, please.
trotsky
2018-06-14 11:00:23 UTC
The head of Germany's most powerful cultural body has called for the plug
to be pulled on the nation's multitude of political talkshows for a year,
arguing that their populist agenda has helped fuel the rise of the far
right.
Wow!  If I were a Libertarian I'd be really pissed right now.
Ya' know... not for nothing, but who gives a shit?
We have enough problems to worry about in this fucking country right now...
We have a delusional leader who thinks he can wish away problems with a
tweet, says we should jail journalists, and calls the press "the enemy
of the people".
And yet this is a TV newsgroup and I posted something about TV,
You posted about German TV which you don't watch so you're a fucking
liar. Just leave for fuck's sake.
RichA
2018-06-14 03:10:00 UTC
The head of Germany's most powerful cultural body has called for the plug
to be pulled on the nation's multitude of political talkshows for a year,
arguing that their populist agenda has helped fuel the rise of the far
right.
Wow!  If I were a Libertarian I'd be really pissed right now.
Ya' know... not for nothing, but who gives a shit?
We have enough problems to worry about in this fucking country right now...
We have a delusional leader who thinks he can wish away problems with a
tweet, says we should jail journalists, and calls the press "the enemy
of the people".
Fuck what Germany is doing...
You, Trotsky and your friends:

Yes, hence the sarcasm.
RichA
2018-06-14 02:24:35 UTC
Pretty soon, jail for anyone not pulling the socialist party line. Hitler never died, it seems. Nor did Stalin.
Darrel Knutson
2018-06-14 09:29:19 UTC
Pretty soon, jail for anyone not pulling the socialist party line. Hitler
never died, it seems. Nor did Stalin.

That's not possible. The Socialist Party is not in government in Germany
and doesn't have a single seat in the Bundestag.

BTW, those men are dead. Do not believe otherwise.
Rhino
2018-06-14 16:53:49 UTC
Pretty soon, jail for anyone not pulling the socialist party line. Hitler
never died, it seems. Nor did Stalin.
That's not possible. The Socialist Party is not in government in Germany
and doesn't have a single seat in the Bundestag.
That's just a flat-out lie. According to Wikipedia, SPD
(Sozialdemokratische Partei Deutschlands = Social-Democrat Party of
Germany) is the second biggest party in the Bundestag since the last
federal election in 2017. Interesting: they called themselves the
Sozialist Partei Deutschlands for many decades; changing to
"Social-Democrat" must be a recent innovation. As for whether that means
they are inspired by Marxism, this quote seems relevant:
The SPD is a member of the Party of European Socialists, and initiated
the founding of the Progressive Alliance international for
social-democratic parties on 22 May 2013,[7][8][9] after criticising the
Socialist International for its acceptance of authoritarian parties.
Established in 1863, the SPD is by far the oldest extant political party
represented in the German Parliament and was one of the first
Marxist-influenced parties in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Democratic_Party_of_Germany

As I recall, they are also in the Grand Coalition governing Germany
right now since Merkel's party once again failed to get enough seats to
govern alone (as is virtually ALWAYS the case in Germany's proportional
representation system).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_federal_election,_2017
Post by RichA
BTW, those men are dead. Do not believe otherwise.
Obviously, Hitler and Stalin are LITERALLY dead but there seems little
doubt that their spirit lives on in many current politicians.
Darrel Knutson
2018-06-14 18:29:58 UTC
Pretty soon, jail for anyone not pulling the socialist party line. Hitler
never died, it seems. Nor did Stalin.
That's not possible. The Socialist Party is not in government in Germany
and doesn't have a single seat in the Bundestag.
That's just a flat-out lie. According to Wikipedia, SPD
(Sozialdemokratische Partei Deutschlands = Social-Democrat Party of
Germany) is the second biggest party in the Bundestag since the last
federal election in 2017.
Yeah, that's like saying the Republican Democratic Party has control of
the White House. There is a Socialist Party, and they are not the ones
in power.
Post by Rhino
[...]
And yet another "Ausländer" fails to understand the quite substantial
difference between socialism and social democracy. The "social" is
simply a way of expressing "for the people".

The SPD is not a strictly socialist party, but is also a party I would
never support - not that I have a vote. They are evolving just like the
way the Republican Party is not what it used to be 2, 8, 20, 50 or 150
years ago. (I'm sure Trump will lend the party his name for an annual
fee so the Republican name be retired and go away soon.)
More on your side of the Atlantic than mine.
Rhino
2018-06-14 21:54:31 UTC
Post by Darrel Knutson
Pretty soon, jail for anyone not pulling the socialist party line. Hitler
never died, it seems. Nor did Stalin.
That's not possible. The Socialist Party is not in government in Germany
and doesn't have a single seat in the Bundestag.
That's just a flat-out lie. According to Wikipedia, SPD
(Sozialdemokratische Partei Deutschlands = Social-Democrat Party of
Germany) is the second biggest party in the Bundestag since the last
federal election in 2017.
Yeah, that's like saying the Republican Democratic Party has control of
the White House. There is a Socialist Party, and they are not the ones
in power.
YOU said they didn't have a single seat in the Bundestag! They've
actually got 153 seats. Or were you referring to Die Linke when you
referred to the socialist party? Wikipedia says they got 69 seats, not
zero. Or did you mean the Greens? Or the FDP? They ALL got seats in the
Bundestag and certainly Die Linke and the Greens are leftist parties; I
don't know about the FDP.
Post by Darrel Knutson
Post by Rhino
[...]
I think you mistake me for a naive dupe who will be fooled by saying
that "social democracy" is completely different from "socialism".
Post by Darrel Knutson
The SPD is not a strictly socialist party, but is also a party I would
never support - not that I have a vote. They are evolving just like the
way the Republican Party is not what it used to be 2, 8, 20, 50 or 150
years ago. (I'm sure Trump will lend the party his name for an annual
fee so the Republican name be retired and go away soon.)
BTW, those men are dead. Do not believe otherwise.
Obviously, Hitler and Stalin are LITERALLY dead but there seems little
doubt that their spirit lives on in many current politicians.
More on your side of the Atlantic than mine.
There seem to be plenty in Europe too. Britain and Germany are both
working hard to suppress any mention of difficulty with immigrants. Last
time I checked, they were both on your side of the Atlantic....
Darrel Knutson
2018-06-15 04:52:31 UTC
Post by Darrel Knutson
[...]
The Socialist Party has no seats in the Bundestag.
The Social-Democrat Party has seats in the Bundestag.

See the difference?
Post by Rhino
Post by Darrel Knutson
Post by Rhino
Interesting: they called themselves the Sozialist Partei Deutschlands
for many decades; changing to "Social-Democrat" must be a recent
innovation. As for whether that means they are inspired by Marxism,
===
Post by Rhino
=====
As I recall, they are also in the Grand Coalition governing Germany
right now since Merkel's party once again failed to get enough seats to
govern alone (as is virtually ALWAYS the case in Germany's proportional
representation system).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_federal_election,_2017
And yet another "Ausländer" fails to understand the quite substantial
difference between socialism and social democracy. The "social" is
simply a way of expressing "for the people".
I think you mistake me for a naive dupe who will be fooled by saying
that "social democracy" is completely different from "socialism".
Let's just say they overlap less than you think. This has been an
argument here forever, so we aren't going to resolve it here.
Post by Rhino
Post by Darrel Knutson
The SPD is not a strictly socialist party, but is also a party I would
never support - not that I have a vote. They are evolving just like the
way the Republican Party is not what it used to be 2, 8, 20, 50 or 150
years ago. (I'm sure Trump will lend the party his name for an annual
fee so the Republican name be retired and go away soon.)
BTW, those men are dead. Do not believe otherwise.
Obviously, Hitler and Stalin are LITERALLY dead but there seems little
doubt that their spirit lives on in many current politicians.
More on your side of the Atlantic than mine.
There seem to be plenty in Europe too. Britain and Germany are both
working hard to suppress any mention of difficulty with immigrants. Last
time I checked, they were both on your side of the Atlantic....
I live in a country that has accepted well over a million Syrian
refugees. Successfully. How about the one you live in? Everything's
fine, right? What you say is one thing, what you actually do is a whole
lot more important.
BTR1701
2018-06-15 05:26:48 UTC
Post by Darrel Knutson
I live in a country that has accepted well over a million Syrian
refugees.
Hey, we have almost 20 million illegals!

Do we win?
Darrel Knutson
2018-06-15 05:49:19 UTC
Post by Darrel Knutson
I live in a country that has accepted well over a million Syrian
refugees.
Hey, we have almost 20 million illegals!
Do we win?
Yes, because our highly regarded president is doing his best to improve
the situation for everyone for a very bright future. Sunny days ahead.

One day racists may also stop using dog whistle terms they made up in
the past few years to refer to people as less than people. It shows a
clear lack of respect and should never be uttered by anywone associated
with law enforcement.
BTR1701
2018-06-15 06:20:49 UTC
Post by Darrel Knutson
Post by BTR1701
Post by Darrel Knutson
I live in a country that has accepted well over a million Syrian
refugees.
Hey, we have almost 20 million illegals!
Do we win?
Yes, because our highly regarded president is doing his best to improve
the situation for everyone for a very bright future. Sunny days ahead.
One day racists may also stop using dog whistle terms they made up in
the past few years to refer to people as less than people.
It's in the United States Code, and it's been in use for decades. Go
peddle your race card bullshit somewhere else.
Darrel Knutson
2018-06-15 08:31:59 UTC
Post by Darrel Knutson
Post by BTR1701
Post by Darrel Knutson
I live in a country that has accepted well over a million Syrian
refugees.
Hey, we have almost 20 million illegals!
Do we win?
Yes, because our highly regarded president is doing his best to improve
the situation for everyone for a very bright future. Sunny days ahead.
One day racists may also stop using dog whistle terms they made up in
the past few years to refer to people as less than people.
It's in the United States Code, and it's been in use for decades. Go
peddle your race card bullshit somewhere else.
Illegal alien, yes. Illegal, no. You lie. You are actively using a
racist term and should stop. Not doing show demontrates not a card, but
your behavior as a racist.
BTR1701
2018-06-15 08:57:37 UTC
Post by Darrel Knutson
Post by BTR1701
Post by Darrel Knutson
Post by BTR1701
Post by Darrel Knutson
I live in a country that has accepted well over a million Syrian
refugees.
Hey, we have almost 20 million illegals!
Do we win?
Yes, because our highly regarded president is doing his best to
improve the situation for everyone for a very bright future.=
Sunny days ahead.
One day racists may also stop using dog whistle terms they made up in
the past few years to refer to people as less than people.
It's in the United States Code, and it's been in use for decades. Go
peddle your race card bullshit somewhere else.
Illegal alien, yes. Illegal, no.
LOL!
Post by Darrel Knutson
You are actively using a racist term and should stop.
"Illegal" is not a race. It can and does apply to people of all races
and ethnicity who enter the United States illegally.
Darrel Knutson
2018-06-15 10:37:30 UTC
Post by Darrel Knutson
Post by BTR1701
Post by Darrel Knutson
Post by Darrel Knutson
You are actively using a racist term and should stop.
"Illegal" is not a race. It can and does apply to people of all races
and ethnicity who enter the United States illegally.
Yes, go ahead and explain the intricacies of a dog whistle to me. Tell
me what I shouldn't instantly think when I hear it, even though it is
one.
BTR1701
2018-06-15 14:42:53 UTC
Post by Darrel Knutson
Post by BTR1701
Post by Darrel Knutson
Post by BTR1701
Post by Darrel Knutson
Post by Darrel Knutson
You are actively using a racist term and should stop.
"Illegal" is not a race. It can and does apply to people of all races
and ethnicity who enter the United States illegally.
Yes, go ahead and explain the intricacies of a dog whistle to me.
I don't care about your fantasies and your pig sirens. Those are your
business.
Adam H. Kerman
2018-06-15 05:50:51 UTC
Post by Darrel Knutson
I live in a country that has accepted well over a million Syrian
refugees.
Hey, we have almost 20 million illegals!
Do we win?
How many of the Syrians accepted the need to adapt to the rules, laws,
and customs of their host nation?
Darrel Knutson
2018-06-15 08:31:59 UTC
Post by Darrel Knutson
I live in a country that has accepted well over a million Syrian
refugees.
Hey, we have almost 20 million illegals!
Do we win?
How many of the Syrians accepted the need to adapt to the rules, laws,
and customs of their host nation?
I'd guess 99.97% or so. It's becoming hard to tell the Syrians from the
Turks and other legal residents and even from lots of non-white Germans.
FPP
2018-06-15 09:28:57 UTC
Post by Darrel Knutson
I live in a country that has accepted well over a million Syrian
refugees.
Hey, we have almost 20 million illegals!
Do we win?
So much, in fact. Don't you watch Fox News?
So, so much winning...
Rhino
2018-06-15 17:13:26 UTC
Post by Darrel Knutson
Post by Rhino
Post by Darrel Knutson
[...]
So you're admitting that you were lying through your teeth then? Your
*intention* was to give the impression that there were no socialists in
the German parliament despite the truth that there are several socialist
parties there with hundreds of seats between them.
Post by Darrel Knutson
Post by Rhino
Post by Rhino
Post by Rhino
Post by Darrel Knutson
The SPD is not a strictly socialist party, but is also a party I would
never support - not that I have a vote. They are evolving just like the
way the Republican Party is not what it used to be 2, 8, 20, 50 or 150
years ago. (I'm sure Trump will lend the party his name for an annual
fee so the Republican name be retired and go away soon.)
BTW, those men are dead. Do not believe otherwise.
Obviously, Hitler and Stalin are LITERALLY dead but there seems little
doubt that their spirit lives on in many current politicians.
More on your side of the Atlantic than mine.
There seem to be plenty in Europe too. Britain and Germany are both
working hard to suppress any mention of difficulty with immigrants. Last
time I checked, they were both on your side of the Atlantic....
I live in a country that has accepted well over a million Syrian
refugees. Successfully.
Sure it's been successful - if you assume that the media told you about
all the bad things that have happened, rather than suppressing it all.

Have a look through YouTube sometime. I recall several videos there that
suggest things are NOT fine there AT ALL. Did you see the one about the
75 year old woman in Hamburg who was getting sexual come-ons from young
migrants and who said crime in her neighbourhood was through the roof
since they brought a bunch of migrants into it? I remember posting that
for you.

I've seen videos where German children were bullied by migrant children
to the point where one father showed the migrants a (fake) gun to warn
them not to go any further and then HE got arrested. I saw a video by a
17 year old German girl where she said she was terrified to go out on
the streets for fear of what the migrants were going to do, her video
was apparently viral and originated on Facebook. I've seen a video of a
Berlin elementary school where 90% of the kids were migrants and they
bullied the Germans mercilessly, hiding behind their refugee status.

And then there was the mass molestation in Cologne at New Year's a
couple of years ago. And the terrorist attacks that must have made even
the German news. I well remember that one involved driving a truck
through a Christmas market in Berlin, which coincidentally was in
Breitsheidplatz, where I actually visited some years ago. Then there was
the guy that blew himself up outside the cultural festival. And the guy
who shot up the shopping all. All in the name of Allah although maybe
your media suppressed all that.
Post by Darrel Knutson
How about the one you live in? Everything's
fine, right? What you say is one thing, what you actually do is a whole
lot more important.
Our virtue signalling Prime Minister brought in plenty of migrants and
has publicly signalled that our doors are open to more. As to whether it
is going smoothly, you're not going to believe a negative word that I
say anyway so what's the point?
Darrel Knutson
2018-06-15 21:32:15 UTC
Post by Darrel Knutson
Post by Rhino
Post by Darrel Knutson
[...]
You are once again confusing socialists with social democrats. They are
not the same.
Post by Rhino
Post by Darrel Knutson
Post by Rhino
Post by Rhino
Post by Darrel Knutson
Post by Rhino
[...]
Just like there is overlap between the FDP, CDU/CSU and Greens on many
issues and the AfD and Linke agree wholeheartedly on some things and
violently disagree on others, and the SPD and Greens meet up nicely on
many social issues, but depart when it comes to environmental issues.

Since there is a Socialist Party in Germany and they are not social
democrats, to call the Social Democrat Party socialist is quite
incorrect - They are social democrats, similar but different. Enough
reasons to have different parties.
Post by Rhino
Post by Darrel Knutson
Post by Rhino
Post by Darrel Knutson
[...]
Why would they "supress" anything? It's local governments taking care of
the refugees on the ground anyway, i.e. many of our neighbors.
Post by Rhino
Have a look through YouTube sometime. I recall several videos there that
suggest things are NOT fine there AT ALL. Did you see the one about the
75 year old woman in Hamburg who was getting sexual come-ons from young
migrants and who said crime in her neighbourhood was through the roof
since they brought a bunch of migrants into it? I remember posting that
for you.
There are always exceptions. And the origin is not as important as age.
Men ages 17-21, regardless of race, religion or origin, commit over 90%
of all violent crimes. Since many Syrian refugrees are men escaping
conscription into war, their rates of crime can absolutely be expected
to be higher. They are. No big surprise.

Except when Germans hear how out of proportion things are getting blown
in some right wing online publishing circles.
Post by Rhino
I've seen videos where German children were bullied by migrant children
to the point where one father showed the migrants a (fake) gun to warn
them not to go any further and then HE got arrested. I saw a video by a
17 year old German girl where she said she was terrified to go out on
the streets for fear of what the migrants were going to do, her video
was apparently viral and originated on Facebook. I've seen a video of a
Berlin elementary school where 90% of the kids were migrants and they
bullied the Germans mercilessly, hiding behind their refugee status.
Very exceptional situations. Not the norm at all.
Post by Rhino
And then there was the mass molestation in Cologne at New Year's a
couple of years ago. And the terrorist attacks that must have made even
the German news. I well remember that one involved driving a truck
through a Christmas market in Berlin, which coincidentally was in
Breitsheidplatz, where I actually visited some years ago. Then there was
the guy that blew himself up outside the cultural festival. And the guy
who shot up the shopping all. All in the name of Allah although maybe
your media suppressed all that.
It's kinda funny that you know almost about as much as I do about these
incidents and you don't even live here.
Stop being selfish. It's not about you, it's about the refugees.
The Horny Goat
2018-06-15 19:24:59 UTC
Post by Darrel Knutson
The Socialist Party has no seats in the Bundestag.
The Social-Democrat Party has seats in the Bundestag.
See the difference?
Plus the fact that the SPD is at least as old as the US Republican
party while the Socialist party has at least another 100 years to
reach that level. And the fact that the SPD is part of the Second
International along with groups like the French Socialist party, the
British Labour party and the Canadian New Democratic party while that
other group isn't.

If people haven't learned by now that in German politics "socialist"
doesn't always mean what you expect it to mean they have surely
forgotten the NSDAP!
Darrel Knutson
2018-06-15 21:32:15 UTC
Post by Darrel Knutson
The Socialist Party has no seats in the Bundestag.
The Social-Democrat Party has seats in the Bundestag.
See the difference?
Plus the fact that the SPD is at least as old as the US Republican
party while the Socialist party has at least another 100 years to
reach that level. And the fact that the SPD is part of the Second
International along with groups like the French Socialist party, the
British Labour party and the Canadian New Democratic party while that
other group isn't.
If people haven't learned by now that in German politics "socialist"
doesn't always mean what you expect it to mean they have surely
forgotten the NSDAP!
It's like trying to explain that in German a "Liberal" is someone who
doesn't believe in government interference or control. In Germany,
liberals are free-market economy white guys you mostly see wearing suits
and who are members of the FDP, the Free Democrat Party, aka "die
Liberale". Lots of them are socially conservative, lots of them are just
the opposite.