[OT] Trees Are Racist
2019-03-14 17:47:49 UTC
https://insider.foxnews.com/2017/12/21/racist-trees-ca-city-remove-trees-between-golf-course-and-historically-black-neighborhood

'Racist' Trees? CA City to Remove Trees Between Golf Course and Historically Black Neighborhood

The government of Palm Springs, California, is declaring a war on so-called "racist" trees that line a golf course.

The city plans to spend $169,000 to remove the trees, which were planted in the 1960s between the perimeter
of the course and a minority neighborhood.

Some residents argue that the trees are a painful reminder of past segregation.

Tucker Carlson, noting that many new things have been declared racist in 2017, spoke to one of the residents
on his show Wednesday night.

Trae Daniel said when Tahquitz Creek Golf Course was built, the clear intent was to separate the course from
what was at the time a new housing development.

"Why are we punishing the trees? We're killing them," Carlson argued, adding that the people responsible for
planting the trees died long ago.

Daniel said the trees are "nasty" and environmentally-unfriendly, but they also prevent African-American home
owners from enjoying the benefits to property values of living along a golf course.
moviePig
2019-03-14 18:10:00 UTC
[...]
I'm happy to let Trump plant 400,000 *trees* along the Mexico border...
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
BTR1701
2019-03-14 18:12:15 UTC
[...]
That's a desert. They'd die. And you pretend you're concerned about
'wasting' money on a wall.
moviePig
2019-03-14 18:25:18 UTC
[...]
Well, I was making a joke -- maybe harder to recognize as it isn't
particularly partisan. Meanwhile, though, there's this:

Desert Trees

"Some of the most beautiful and interesting trees in the world come
from arid regions where hot sunny conditions and low rainfall are the
norms. Whether native or from other deserts, natural evolution has made
these trees perfectly suited to grow here, especially for those seeking
trees that can thrive, look amazing and yet use minimal water once
established."
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
BTR1701
They're probably racist, too.
BTR1701
2019-03-14 18:10:57 UTC
[...]
First the bees went racist on us. Now the trees. Mother Nature really is a
bigot, ain't she?

How are trees environmentally unfriendly? That's a new one on me.
FPP
2019-03-14 22:33:54 UTC
[...]
As your buddy Reagan. You clowns canonized the demented old man, after all.

"In 1981, President Ronald Reagan claimed that trees produce more air
pollution than automobiles, fueling a spate of jokes about "killer trees."
--
"An immigrant who achieves the American Dream didn’t steal anything from
you or your family. They just wanted it more than you and worked harder
your life sucks lemons, a wall isn’t going to turn it to lemonade."
trotsky
2019-03-15 11:22:15 UTC
Mother Nature really is a bigot, ain't she?How are trees environmentally unfriendly? That's a new one on me.
When the sun comes up in the morning it's a new one on you, Twinkles.
Rhino
2019-03-14 18:27:47 UTC
[...]
Huh? How is either thing even possible?
Post by Ed Stasiak
but they also prevent African-American home
owners from enjoying the benefits to property values of living along a golf course.
Aha! Now we have a more logical reason for taking down the trees: the
absence of trees will (allegedly) increase the property values of homes
that have a clear sight of the golf course.

I wonder if the home owners have considered these factors:
1. It seems likely that the trees may be protecting their homes from
stray golf balls. How many more windows will be broken if erratic drives
hit their homes?
2. People, including home buyers, like trees. Will the hit they take
from pulling out the trees offset the increase in value from making the
golf course more visible?
2019-03-14 18:40:11 UTC
Aha! Now we have a more logical reason for taking down the trees: the
absence of trees will (allegedly) increase the property values of homes
that have a clear sight of the golf course.
1. It seems likely that the trees may be protecting their homes from
stray golf balls. How many more windows will be broken if erratic drives
hit their homes?
2. People, including home buyers, like trees. Will the hit they take
from pulling out the trees offset the increase in value from making the
golf course more visible?
https://www.ibtimes.com/racist-trees-border-california-golf-course-being-removed-2630669

"The residents, led by a real estate agent named, Trae Daniel, made four demands
to the city council, the report said. They included removing the trees, the construction
of a six-foot privacy wall for the residents who need it, installation of a net or something
similar to stop the golf balls from coming into the yards of the residents and lastly,
planting new trees which looked similar to the ones planted on the golf course."
moviePig
2019-03-14 19:44:22 UTC
[...]
The homeowners' property values may (allegedly) go up, but the golf
course's value will go down. Ask any golfer: nets are hideous
reminders of urban proximity, and trees or other natural backdrop are
far preferable to views of *any* neighborhood...
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
shawn
2019-03-14 19:50:32 UTC
[...]
I wonder how the homeowners will feel about huge nets going up between
the golf course and their homes? What will that do to home values?
Rhino
2019-03-14 19:46:32 UTC
[...]
So they don't really have anything against trees per se, just the trees
which they already have. I don't see how tearing down old trees and
installing nets and privacy fences would make the golf course more
visible. Maybe you have to be there and see the actual properties and
trees to see how their demands will actually improve their property
values. Too bad the "journalists" didn't bother to include pictures
along those lines. (I'm sure it's cheaper to just drop in a stock shot
of city hall than send a photographer to the neighbourhood to make the
situation clear.)
2019-03-14 20:54:49 UTC
[...]
There's video at the link:

Rhino
2019-03-14 21:54:22 UTC
[...]
All the photos are from the perspective of the golf course. If I was
looking at buying a house, I'd want to see how things looked from the
house and its lot. I can't really tell whether the property would look
better from the curb if it was missing the tamarisks and had a fence and
netting. I can picture a 6 ft privacy fence but I have no idea how
obtrusive the netting would be once installed.

That aside, I found a short video that shows what the tamarisk tree
looks like and it really is quite short and very wide. It also thrives
in desert conditions so it would seem a good choice for a desert locale
like Palm Springs.
2019-03-14 21:03:32 UTC
[...]
The part that makes no sense at all to me is "planting new trees which
looked similar to the ones planted on the golf course". Dafuq? So just
moving the trees across the property line from being on the golf
course's property to on the houses' properties would satisfy them?
instinct are running screaming.
Rhino
2019-03-14 22:00:09 UTC
Post by Dimensional Traveler
[...]
I think they just don't like the tamarisk tree and would prefer a
different species, the one used elsewhere at the golf course.

There's some mischief going on here and it seems to be the Fox people
behind it. The real estate guy described the tree as nasty, which may be
a valid esthetic argument, but he could clearly see that the trees
themselves weren't racist, it was the people who had them planted there
who were racist. I believe him. The headline writer chose to make it
look like the trees themselves were being accused of racism, which, of
course, is ridiculous.

The real estate agent was wrong to describe the tamarisk as
inappropriate for that location (however he phrased it); it's actually
well-suited to desert, especially in salty soil.
2019-03-14 20:47:03 UTC
[...]
If the trees are *on* the golf course, then it's private property and
neither these homeowners nor the city have any say over removing them.
Rhino
2019-03-14 22:03:40 UTC
[...]
It's a public golf course. Doesn't that imply that the city owns it and
has the right to change the landscaping?

If the trees are on the homeowners' properties, then I assume they can
take them down and replace them with fences, nets and/or other species
if they like unless there's some kind of bylaw that prohibits them from
doing so. In that case, the homeowners should be able to lobby for a
bylaw chance to permit them to do what they want.
2019-03-14 22:10:27 UTC
[...]
So they're going to tear down trees and put up walls and nets. Aren't those
racist?
2019-03-14 20:42:35 UTC
Post by Ed Stasiak
but they also prevent African-American home
owners from enjoying the benefits to property values of living along a golf course.
Aha! Now we have a more logical reason for taking down the trees: the
absence of trees will (allegedly) increase the property values of homes
that have a clear sight of the golf course.
1. It seems likely that the trees may be protecting their homes from
stray golf balls. How many more windows will be broken if erratic drives
hit their homes?
Only the racist golf balls, which you can identify because they're all white.
2019-03-14 20:47:03 UTC
Post by Ed Stasiak
but they also prevent African-American home
owners from enjoying the benefits to property values of living along a golf course.
Aha! Now we have a more logical reason for taking down the trees: the
absence of trees will (allegedly) increase the property values of homes
that have a clear sight of the golf course.
I'd rather look at trees than a bunch of badly dressed old men hitting
little balls around.
trotsky
2019-03-15 11:23:16 UTC
I'd rather look at trees than a bunch of badly dressed old men hitting little balls around.
Sounds like you're spending too much time at Anim8r's.

2019-03-15 11:02:45 UTC
Ed Stasiak <***@att.net> Wrote in message:

This is so weird, this is EXACTLY the same kind of shit Thanny
complains about.