[OT] Twitter Engineers To "Ban A Way Of Talking"
2018-01-12 10:38:21 UTC
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-01-11/veritas-latest
01/11/2018

Twitter Engineers To "Ban a Way of Talking"

In the latest of a series of undercover operations targeting the mainstream media
and now Social Media, James O'Keefe of Project Veritas has just dropped a new
undercover video which reveals Twitter "shadow banning" and creating algorithms
that censor certain ideas.

The first clip features a former Twitter software engineer who explains how/why
Twitter "shadow bans" certain users:

Abhinav Vadrevu: "One strategy is to shadow ban so you have ultimate control.
The idea of a shadow ban is that you ban someone but they don't know they've
been banned, because they keep posting but no one sees their content."

"So they just think that no one is engaging with their content, when in reality,
no one is seeing it. I don't know if Twitter does this anymore."

Meanwhile, Olinda Hassan, a Policy Manager for Twitter’s Trust and Safety team
explains on December 15th, 2017 at a Twitter holiday party that the development
of a system of “down ranking” “shitty people” is in the works:

“Yeah. That’s something we’re working on. It’s something we’re working on. We’re
trying to get the shitty people to not show up. It’s a product thing we’re working on
right now.”

“Yeah you look for Trump, or America, and you have like five thousand keywords
to describe a redneck. Then you look and parse all the messages, all the pictures,
and then you look for stuff that matches that stuff.”

When asked if the majority of the algorithms are targeted against conservative or
liberal users of Twitter, Singh said, “I would say majority of it are for Republicans.”
moviePig
2018-01-12 15:15:51 UTC
http://youtu.be/64gTjdUrDFQ
[...]
Something non-obviously troubling about this can be found in, "We’re
trying to get the shitty people to not show up." It's as though turning
off the bedroom light makes the monsters disappear.
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
Rhino
2018-01-12 15:21:13 UTC
[...]
So now people who express conservative or pro-Trump views are not just
distasteful but actually monsters?
2018-01-12 15:24:02 UTC
[...]
Quite possibly. But, of course, that's nothing to do with what I said.
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
BTR1701
2018-01-12 16:04:54 UTC
Something non-obviously troubling about this can be found in, "We’re
trying to get the shitty people to not show up."  It's as though
turning off the bedroom light makes the monsters disappear.
So now people who express conservative or pro-Trump views are not just
distasteful but actually monsters?
Quite possibly. But, of course, that's nothing to do with what I said.
It's not your fault, Rhino. No one ever knows exactly what moviePig says
and he works hard to keep it that way.
moviePig
2018-01-12 16:19:03 UTC
Something non-obviously troubling about this can be found in, "We're
trying to get the shitty people to not show up."  It's as though
turning off the bedroom light makes the monsters disappear.
So now people who express conservative or pro-Trump views are not just
distasteful but actually monsters?
Quite possibly. But, of course, that's nothing to do with what I said.
It's not your fault, Rhino. No one ever knows exactly what moviePig says
and he works hard to keep it that way.
Hmm. So... *you* don't know what I said?
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
FPP
2018-01-13 01:23:19 UTC
Something non-obviously troubling about this can be found in, "We're
trying to get the shitty people to not show up." It's as though
turning off the bedroom light makes the monsters disappear.
So now people who express conservative or pro-Trump views are not just
distasteful but actually monsters?
Quite possibly. But, of course, that's nothing to do with what I said.
It's not your fault, Rhino. No one ever knows exactly what moviePig says
and he works hard to keep it that way.
Hmm. So... *you* don't know what I said?
Shit, half the time he doesn't seems to understand what I write, either.
--
"I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and
everyone knows it. Some FAKE NEWS media, in order to marginalize, lies!"
Eric Arthur Blair
trotsky
2018-01-15 15:41:19 UTC
Something non-obviously troubling about this can be found in, "We're
trying to get the shitty people to not show up."  It's as though
turning off the bedroom light makes the monsters disappear.
So now people who express conservative or pro-Trump views are not just
distasteful but actually monsters?
Quite possibly. But, of course, that's nothing to do with what I said.
It's not your fault, Rhino. No one ever knows exactly what moviePig says
and he works hard to keep it that way.
Hmm.  So... *you* don't know what I said?
Shit, half the time he doesn't seems to understand what I write, either.
More proof that Thanny thinks with his fanny.

---

2018-01-12 15:47:13 UTC
[...]
Yep, we're "shitty people"
2018-01-12 21:42:07 UTC
Something non-obviously troubling about this can be found in, "We’re
trying to get the shitty people to not show up."  It's as though turning
off the bedroom light makes the monsters disappear.
So now people who express conservative or pro-Trump views are not just
distasteful but actually monsters?
http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2018/01/12/breitbart-news-tonight-on-siriusxm-harmeet-dhillon/
by LUCAS NOLAN

Google a ‘Bubble of Very Liberal Groupthink’ with ‘Re-education Camp’ Atmosphere for Conservatives

Harmeet Dhillon, the lawyer filing a class-action lawsuit against Google on behalf of former engineer James Damore, appeared on Breitbart News Tonight to discuss the case.

The lawyer representing former Google engineer James Damore and another former Google employee in a class action lawsuit against their former employer appeared on Breitbart News Tonight recently alongside Breitbart Senior Editors-at-Large Rebecca Mansour and Joel Pollak to discuss the growing issues that conservatives are facing in Silicon Valley.

Joel Pollak began the interview by asking Dhillon to summarize the claims that her clients are making against Google and how they relate to the current issues of social media platforms censoring conservatives.

“Well the lawsuit is punitive class-action, so we’re seeking class status,” said Dhillon, “the two named plaintiffs are James Damore, who you mentioned and another fired software engineer David Gudeman, both of them are conservatives, both of them are white men. Both of them complained in the workplace about the quota system that Google has in place for hiring people and the incessant social justice warrior mentality that forces everybody at Google to toe the line with regard to hating on people who supported the President, or refusing to acknowledge people’s right to believe that there are two genders instead of multiple genders.”

Dhillon continued, “from top to bottom there’s this bubble of very very liberal groupthink that is at the same time very intolerant of people who have more traditional values. So James is somebody who I would call — he calls himself a classical liberal, not necessarily a conservative, more libertarian, free-thinker type, guy who was in a Ph.D. program at Harvard after getting his masters and decided to join Google — he was recruited there. He worked there for a few years and he got tremendously good reviews throughout his entire tenure there.”

“To get promoted at Google you have to check off the boxes prescribing to their diversity policies by attending diversity training, etc. So he went to one of these and you know it was all groupthink and it was all about how the fact that Google has fewer female engineers than male is because of bias and how everybody needs to get rid of their biases so we can achieve 50/50 parity. He [James] said ‘well wait a minute, why are we only looking at gender and these sort of characteristics, are we thinking about diversity of thought here or are we thinking about anything else and you know is your model really true.'”

Breitbart News Senior-Editor-at-Large Rebecca Mansour at one point brought a situation described by Dhillon at Google where men were put down, shamed and in some cases publicly booed, as a “carnival atmosphere.”

Dhillon replied, “I wouldn’t even call it carnival, Rebecca, I would call it re-education camp. I would call a company-wide meeting where the two senior executives, the Chief Financial Officer and another came to a meeting and they kind of called out different business units and how many women and men they had and if it was a business unit that was doing really well and had close to equal or equal 50/50, they cheered and clapped. And if it was a business unit that was called software programming or whatever that had fewer than that, they booed.”

The plaintiffs facing Google have started a fundraising site at Funded Justice. All of the funds raised will go directly towards legal fees in the case.
FPP
2018-01-13 01:22:20 UTC
[...]
No. Not "now". Always. This has never been a secret.

Trump is a racist. Those that support racism should be brave enough to
stand up and say so.
Eric Arthur Blair
Ed Stasiak
But those who disagree with you, should be shadow banned and censored?
BTR1701
Censorship is always the first reflexive action of a leftist.
FPP
2018-01-13 06:55:14 UTC
So now people who express conservative or pro-Trump views are
not just distasteful but actually monsters?
Trump is a racist. Those that support racism should be brave enough to
stand up and say so.
But those who disagree with you, should be shadow banned and censored?
Censorship is always the first reflexive action of a leftist.
I never asked that anyone be censored.
Pretty flimsy strawman, though...
Really, you used to be better at it than that.
--
"Donald Trump accepted the Republican nomination Thursday July 22nd."
"ISIS claimed responsibility". - J. P. Shanley
b***@gmail.com
Apparently so (in his extreme-right alternate reality).
trotsky
He's running at diminished brain capacity on account of the Ed sockpuppet.
trotsky
Cite?
moviePig
2018-01-13 14:10:38 UTC
So now people who express conservative or pro-Trump views are
not just distasteful but actually monsters?
Trump is a racist. Those that support racism should be brave enough to
stand up and say so.
But those who disagree with you, should be shadow banned and censored?
Censorship is always the first reflexive action of a leftist.
At last, a self-test for Leftism that I can administer in the privacy of
my own home...

(Good news... I'm clean!)
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
FPP
2018-01-13 14:46:46 UTC
So now people who express conservative or pro-Trump views are
not just distasteful but actually monsters?
Trump is a racist. Those that support racism should be brave enough to
stand up and say so.
But those who disagree with you, should be shadow banned and censored?
Censorship is always the first reflexive action of a leftist.
At last, a self-test for Leftism that I can administer in the privacy of
my own home...
(Good news... I'm clean!)
"Trump Renews Pledge to ‘Take a Strong Look’ at Libel Laws"
Q.E.D.
trotsky
2018-01-13 15:27:11 UTC
So now people who express conservative or pro-Trump views are
not just distasteful but actually monsters?
Trump is a racist. Those that support racism should be brave enough to
stand up and say so.
But those who disagree with you, should be shadow banned and censored?
Censorship is always the first reflexive action of a leftist.
At last, a self-test for Leftism that I can administer in the privacy
of my own home...
(Good news... I'm clean!)
"Trump Renews Pledge to ‘Take a Strong Look’ at Libel Laws"
Q.E.D.
If Rod Serling were still alive he'd say Thanny's posts amount to the
shittiest Twilight Zone ep. ever.
trotsky
2018-01-13 15:25:34 UTC
So now people who express conservative or pro-Trump views are
not just distasteful but actually monsters?
Trump is a racist. Those that support racism should be brave enough to
stand up and say so.
But those who disagree with you, should be shadow banned and censored?
Censorship is always the first reflexive action of a leftist.
At last, a self-test for Leftism that I can administer in the privacy of
my own home...
(Good news... I'm clean!)
Other than listening to Thanny's cyber bullshit what are the test
parameters?
moviePig
2018-01-13 15:33:46 UTC
So now people who express conservative or pro-Trump views are
not just distasteful but actually monsters?
Trump is a racist. Those that support racism should be brave enough to
stand up and say so.
But those who disagree with you, should be shadow banned and censored?
Censorship is always the first reflexive action of a leftist.
At last, a self-test for Leftism that I can administer in the privacy
of my own home...
(Good news... I'm clean!)
Other than listening to Thanny's cyber bullshit what are the test
parameters?
No parameters. I'm just pretty sure that the closest I've every come to
censoring somebody is to throw a rock at a boom-box.
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
RichA
1000 university experiences prove that point.
FPP
2018-01-13 06:54:02 UTC
So now people who express conservative or pro-Trump views are not just
distasteful but actually monsters?
Trump is a racist.  Those that support racism should be brave enough to
stand up and say so.
But those who disagree with you, should be shadow banned and censored?
Disagree on what? That Trump is a racist?

Anyone that disagrees with that hasn't been paying attention.
You only need to be able to read what the man says, in order to come the
inescapable conclusion that the man is a racist.
Ed Stasiak
2018-01-13 17:35:28 UTC
Sure, that or whatever; should they be censored and shadow banned?
FPP
2018-01-13 22:03:29 UTC
But those who disagree with you, should be shadow banned and censored?
Disagree on what?  That Trump is a racist?
Sure, that or whatever; should they be censored and shadow banned?
You want the short answer? It's "no".
Now, find me anywhere where I've ever advocated censoring anybody. Ever.
Ed Stasiak
2018-01-14 04:17:17 UTC
So there is a “long answer” to the question?
FPP
2018-01-14 13:10:14 UTC
Sure, that or whatever; should they be censored and shadow banned?
You want the short answer?  It's "no".
So there is a “long answer” to the question?
Yup. But it ends with the same word.
RichA
Yes, we all know there are no differences between races...in fairy land.
m***@hotmail.com
Its slowly but surely becoming that way. Yes, Rhino.
FPP
2018-01-13 22:06:17 UTC
Post by m***@hotmail.com
[...]
Did anybody watch Fox "News" this week? They spent two days explaining
why it was perfectly fine for Trump to call other countries shitholes.

Seriously. I heard it over and over and over again.

Trump's comments were racist, pure and simple. And anybody who agrees
with it, or makes excuses for it are racists, as well.

Also pure and simple.
m***@hotmail.com
Just as his father was also racist. But Trump grand-daddy was too busy first making the family fortune with Canadian Alberta Whore Houses to care. Odd, isn't it?
m***@hotmail.com
2018-01-13 20:34:58 UTC
[...]
Worse that that, some top republican leaders like Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell still haven't condemned Trump's racist statements.

How is that 'NOT' monsterous?
Ed Stasiak
2018-01-12 21:32:17 UTC
Abhinav Vadrevu: "One strategy is to shadow ban so you have ultimate control.
The idea of a shadow ban is that you ban someone but they don't know they've
been banned, because they keep posting but no one sees their content."
"So they just think that no one is engaging with their content, when in reality,
no one is seeing it. I don't know if Twitter does this anymore."
Something non-obviously troubling about this can be found in, "We’re
trying to get the shitty people to not show up."  It's as though turning
off the bedroom light makes the monsters disappear.
Twitter (and no doubt Facebook) is secretly silencing people, effectively making
them disappear.

But these websites have become huge communication systems used not only
by millions of Americans but bazillions of people world wide and I would say
have become “public utilities”, at least in the sense that they shouldn’t be able
to censor speech any more then a telephone company.

Unfortunately, Net Neutrality is fucked and so are we…
moviePig
2018-01-12 22:16:25 UTC
[...]
I agree -- though I must note this does sound a bit socialist of you.
Post by Ed Stasiak
Unfortunately, Net Neutrality is fucked and so are we…
I still cling to the hope that what is fucked can be un-fucked...
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
Ed Stasiak
2018-01-12 22:56:07 UTC
But these websites have become huge communication systems used not only
by millions of Americans but bazillions of people world wide and I would say
have become “public utilities”, at least in the sense that they shouldn’t be able
to censor speech any more then a telephone company.
I agree -- though I must note this does sound a bit socialist of you.
I’ve never shown blind loyalty to any politician or party platform, my views
on an issue depends on the particular issue and I see no contradiction there.

I’m also all for full-on socialized medicine as well as the unrestricted right
of the People to keep & bear all arms, short of WMDs.
anim8rfsk
2018-01-12 22:33:51 UTC
Abhinav Vadrevu: "One strategy is to shadow ban so you have ultimate control.
The idea of a shadow ban is that you ban someone but they don't know they've
been banned, because they keep posting but no one sees their content."
"So they just think that no one is engaging with their content, when in reality,
no one is seeing it. I don't know if Twitter does this anymore."
Something non-obviously troubling about this can be found in, "We’re
trying to get the shitty people to not show up."  It's as though turning
off the bedroom light makes the monsters disappear.
Twitter (and no doubt Facebook) is secretly silencing people, effectively making
them disappear.
Facebook is sort of doing the opposite. They let you block sites you
don't want to see posts from. But you can't block *liberal* sites. For
instance, if you clicked 'block' on a pro Trump site, the page would
disappear from your screen instantly, 'cause, blocked. But if you block
something like MoveOn, it *says* you have blocked this page, but the
page is still on your screen, and if a friend shared something from
there, it will still show on your timeline, and if you check, it will
say "this page is blocked' but it actually isn't.

God only knows what they're doing with people's posts in general. They
filter and shuffle it so thoroughly there's no way to tell, which is
probably what they want.
2018-01-13 05:17:39 UTC
[...]
They've taken over the comic book world, too.

----------------------

Secret Facebook Page Reveals Marvel, DC Comics Writers Conspiring to
Harass Comic Con Conservatives

https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2017/09/21/secret-facebook-page-reveals-mar
vel-dc-comics-writers-conspiring-harass-comic-con-conservatives/

The comic book world has had its share of scandals, including the very
recent and highly protested revelation that Captain America is really a
Nazi, angering fans worldwide. Mark Waid, who recently took over the
Captain America comic book for Marvel, has stepped into more hot water
after appearing to call out a fan and popular YouTube reviewer for
targeted harassment at this year's Comic-Con on his Facebook page.

For anyone attending this weekend's (excellent) Baltimore
Comic Con, I have an important request. There is a serial
YouTube harasser named Richard C. Meyer who I'm told may be
attending as a fan. If anyone sees this gentleman or any of
his friends, I need you to come find me and tell me immediately.
Even if I'm on a panel, come up and interrupt.

Please circulate this request as widely as you possibly can
through all your social media accounts. Fellow pros, tell each
other. This about attempting to lessen the harassment of women
in comics, and it is important. Please spread the word. Thank you.

Richard Meyer has a YouTube channel called Diversity & Comics, where he
reviews current comic books. Most of his reviews mock the overreaching
and suffocating leftist messaging that has infiltrated the entire
industry. I've seen enough of them to say with confidence that Meyer
seems like a pretty nice guy with a passion for comic books. His reviews
contain no swearing or major insults, just mild humor and a lot of
chuckling.

Meyer is just shy of 40,000 subscribers. He has more viewers than "The
Avengers" comic book had readers in August.

To make matters worse and more embarrassing for the SJW crowd of comic
book writers, a secret Facebook page was revealed where writers plotted
to target Meyer with harassment meant to incite violence:

Taylor Esposito is a letterer for DC Comics and is clearly seen on the
not-so-secret Facebook page insinuating that critics of their comics are
likely to be violent, calling them "nutjobs". Kelly Thompson of Marvel's
Star Wars Phasma and IDW's infamous lady Ghostbusters joined in,
claiming fear of the awful critics as the major reason she's never been
to a con as a professional. B. Clay Moore, who seems to have written
something a long time ago, actually suggests harassing Meyer to the
point of violence.

Meyer's videos are low budget, filmed with his phone usually while
sitting in his car or house flipping through comic books and chatting
about the stories and plot lines, artwork and themes. It's not exactly a
hate crime. He is knowledgeable, interesting and intelligent and he
clearly loves comic books. But he and others like him are facing an
industry that seems to not want them anymore.

Jon Del Arroz is an award-nominated science fiction writer, contributor
at The Federalist and author of the upcoming space novella Gravity of
the Game. He has followed the industry problems closely.

There's a disconcerting trend on the Left because the
black-balling attempts in the industry have failed, due to
independent media platforms, so they have moved to
intimidation and threats of violence.

Del Arroz, a comic book fan, senses a reckoning coming.

The industry is in trouble. Unlike others they have a
distribution network only meant to further Marvel/DC
properties. For real change to happen, fans have to
support indies.

PJ Media reached out to Richard Meyer, who was happy to talk about being
targeted by SJWs. "It's a neo-McCarthyism situation; the industry is
being destroyed," he said. "They are killing it. They've turned an
industry into a community which doesn't have to have sales or success.
It's a vicious pogrom and excommunication of anyone right of the extreme
far Left."

Meyer has been accused of transphobia for calling out the questionable
elevation of a transgendered comic author, Magdalene Visaggio, who
seemed to come out of nowhere with no history or accomplishments in the
industry. Visaggio rose quickly for a beginner, leading some, like
Meyer, to believe he was hired for diversity instead of skill. Visaggio
won a new talent workshop at DC Comics that put him in a position to be
mentored by the top comic writers in the industry even though he
appeared not to like or understand DC characters like Batman.

He also appears a little unstable, threatening "cis" people with
violence on social media:

https://static.pjmedia.com/trending/user-content/51/files/2017/09/Screen-
Shot-2017-09-22-at-12.01.13-AM.png

https://static.pjmedia.com/parenting/user-content/48/files/2017/09/downlo
ad-7.png

But there isn't any real rush to buy Visaggio's transgendered comic book
Kim & Kim, ranked #373 in the July sales ratings.

https://static.pjmedia.com/trending/user-content/51/files/2017/09/Screen-
Shot-2017-09-22-at-12.33.52-AM.png

Meyer believes he is being targeted for, among other things, daring to
criticize Visaggio. "You can't say anything about the diversity hires
because they're magical," he explained. "One of the successes of my
channel is that I say what other people are thinking. There's about
100,000 fans out there waiting to come back. America only has a few
unique institutions and one of them, comic books, is literally being
murdered. Normal comic pros have been chased away and it is now a weird
club for people with personality disorders."

Meyer seems to have it right. Lately another far lefty who writes GI Joe
(of all things), Aubrey Sitterson, caused a stir on 9/11 for this
ridiculous tweet.

@aubreysitterson: Oh good, it's Self-Centered National Tragedy
Remembrance from People Who Weren't Even Anywhere Near New York
City Day.

Meyer tried hiding his identity (or at least his workplace) online to
avoid the doxing and SWATing the left is so fond of. People who speak
critically of the industry, like MundaneMatt, have been SWATed for their
audacity to speak out. Meyers' enemies tried calling what they thought
was his employer, but they failed to find it. They did, however, reveal
his real name with the intention of targeted harassment as revealed in
the secret Facebook posting.

In a bizarre twist of events, Meyer was searching for a sold-out comic
book earlier in the summer called Mr. Miracle when he was told that a
downtown store in Charlottesville had it. He went to buy it and got
caught in the Charlottesville protests that turned violent. He reported
from the scene and an SJW informant and amateur comic writer, Heather
Antos, started spreading the rumor that he was a member of the KKK.
Girls like Antos can't stand Meyer because he has no qualms about
calling them "fake geek girls".

"The industry is hiring completely unqualified people based on
diversity," Meyers said "Heather Antos didn't know when her own book
came out. They don't do basic editing. The spelling is atrocious and the
term 'fake geek girl' really upsets them because it's true. They aren't
real fans. They know nothing about the characters or their stories and
their whole purpose is to rewrite them in their own image-- strident,
angry, anti-male, transgendered-- until they are unrecognizable."

Meyer believes that the shift from the classic comics to the
ultra-political began around 2015-- and fans have had enough.

"'Black Panther and the Crew' was a segregationist comic about white
genocide." he told PJM. "Who are they writing these comics for?" he
asked.

"Crest sells toothpaste to murderers on death row because it's a
business. They'll sell to anybody," he continued. "The comic industry
doesn't seem to want their fans to buy their product unless they are in
the extreme Left Wing. Comic book shops are full of basically
middle-aged white guys and Marvel seemed to be embarrassed of them and
so they threw them away for the rainbow hair crowd that doesn't actually
read comic books."

Carol Danvers, or Captain Marvel, is becoming transgendered. Comic book
fans have taken to calling her "Carl Manvers".

"We're watching her boobs disappear in every issue," said Meyers.
"Marvel has killed all the heterosexual romances in the stories and
replaced them with gay relationships. Gay relationships are depicted as
idyllic and heterosexual romances are shown as problematic. Comic book
shops are suffering because they can't sell these books. No one wants
them."

As for the kerfuffle with Mark Waid, Meyer won't comment other than to
say they have not spoken despite Waid's claim of wanting to "work it
out". After facing criticism for his public remarks, Waid offered a
half-hearted apology on Facebook for sounding like he was advocating
violence or trying to have Meyer banned from Comic Con. He now claims he
only wanted to "talk". PJ Media got Meyer on the phone in less than an
hour, so if talking is really what Waid wanted to do, he could have done
it already.

There is a disturbing and entirely too frequent trend of conservative
people being harassed, intimidated or banned from speaking, protesting
and now just trying to enjoy a comic book convention. Somehow the Left
has taken over every institution in America from libraries to comic
books and we let it happen. The question now is, how do we undo it?
anim8rfsk
2018-01-12 15:35:30 UTC
[...]
So the big question is, will we actually be able to Tweet this article?
2018-01-12 17:09:05 UTC
[...]
You should try and find out.
instinct are running screaming.
anim8rfsk
2018-01-12 20:31:59 UTC
Post by Dimensional Traveler
[...]
Meanwhile, Olinda Hassan, a Policy Manager for Twitter‰菄s Trust and
Safety
team
explains on December 15th, 2017 at a Twitter holiday party that the development
‰裉Yeah. That‰菄s something we‰菄re working on. It‰菄s something we‰菄re
working on.
We‰菄re
trying to get the shitty people to not show up. It‰菄s a product thing
we‰菄re
working on
right now.‰ᅵ
‰裉Yeah you look for Trump, or America, and you have like five thousand
keywords
to describe a redneck. Then you look and parse all the messages, all the pictures,
and then you look for stuff that matches that stuff.‰ᅵ
When asked if the majority of the algorithms are targeted against conservative or
liberal users of Twitter, Singh said, ‰裉I would say majority of it are
for
Republicans.‰ᅵ
So the big question is, will we actually be able to Tweet this article?
You should try and find out.
The Peach says this is fake news.
2018-01-12 20:48:44 UTC
[...]
We're supposed to believe an imaginary fruit?
instinct are running screaming.
anim8rfsk
2018-01-12 22:34:15 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
Meanwhile, Olinda Hassan, a Policy Manager for Twitter槌綌 Trust and
Safety
team
explains on December 15th, 2017 at a Twitter holiday party that the development
of a system of 槌ᅵdown ranking槌•ᅵ1ï¿œ2ᅵ 槌ᅵshitty people槌•ᅵ1ï¿œ2ᅵ is
槌ᅵYeah. That槌綌 something we槌綖e working on. It槌綌 something
we槌綖e
working on.
We槌綖e
trying to get the shitty people to not show up. It槌綌 a product thing
we槌綖e
working on
right now.槌•ᅵ1ï¿œ2ᅵ
槌ᅵYeah you look for Trump, or America, and you have like five
thousand
keywords
to describe a redneck. Then you look and parse all the messages, all the
pictures,
and then you look for stuff that matches that stuff.槌•ᅵ1ï¿œ2ᅵ
When asked if the majority of the algorithms are targeted against conservative or
liberal users of Twitter, Singh said, 槌ᅵI would say majority of it
are
for
Republicans.槌•ᅵ1ï¿œ2ᅵ
So the big question is, will we actually be able to Tweet this article?
You should try and find out.
The Peach says this is fake news.
We're supposed to believe an imaginary fruit?
She says "But DT knew me!"
2018-01-12 23:33:39 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
Meanwhile, Olinda Hassan, a Policy Manager for Twitter槼綼 Trust and
Safety
team
explains on December 15th, 2017 at a Twitter holiday party that the development
of a system of 槼�down ranking槼•�1�2� 槼�shitty people槼•�1�2� is
槼�Yeah. That槼綼 something we槼綖e working on. It槼綼 something
we槼綖e
working on.
We槼綖e
trying to get the shitty people to not show up. It槼綼 a product thing
we槼綖e
working on
right now.槼•�1�2�
槼�Yeah you look for Trump, or America, and you have like five
thousand
keywords
to describe a redneck. Then you look and parse all the messages, all the
pictures,
and then you look for stuff that matches that stuff.槼•�1�2�
When asked if the majority of the algorithms are targeted against conservative or
liberal users of Twitter, Singh said, 槼�I would say majority of it
are
for
Republicans.槼•�1�2�
So the big question is, will we actually be able to Tweet this article?
You should try and find out.
The Peach says this is fake news.
We're supposed to believe an imaginary fruit?
She says "But DT knew me!"
How do I know that if she's not here?
instinct are running screaming.
Ed Stasiak
2018-01-12 21:44:17 UTC
How would he know if he was being shadow banned?
anim8rfsk
2018-01-12 22:25:33 UTC
So the big question is, will we actually be able to Tweet this article?
You should try and find out.
How would he know if he was being shadow banned?
BTR can tell us if he sees it.

Now, if they're really clever, they'll let us shitty people talk to each
other, but hide our impure thoughts from the good, progressive people.
2018-01-12 22:58:35 UTC
I don’t want to be stuck in an echo chamber, even with people I agree with.
shawn
2018-01-12 23:51:21 UTC
On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 14:58:35 -0800 (PST), Ed Stasiak
How would he know if he was being shadow banned?
Now, if they're really clever, they'll let us shitty people talk to each
other, but hide our impure thoughts from the good, progressive people.
I don’t want to be stuck in an echo chamber, even with people I agree with.
You aren't stuck in an echo chamber as such because you are able to
see everyone's public posts. You just can't talk with everyone. It's
not much different from the mute function that Twitter has which
allows individuals to choose to mute posts from certain people or
posts on certain topics. Also shadow banning isn't something that
occurs just on Twitch. It's been a thing on Reddit for some time and
has been used to block people from posting in certain sub-reddits
(think newsgroups) when they became too toxic.

Finding out you are shadow banned can be done by creating a secondary
account or just not logging in. While I'm not a fan of shadow banning
I get why it's done. It avoids all of the arguments that would follow
with the moderators over the banning and possibly arguments that might
take over the sub-reddit.
Ed Stasiak
2018-01-13 01:24:57 UTC
I don’t want to be stuck in an echo chamber, even with people I agree with.
You aren't stuck in an echo chamber as such because you are able to
see everyone's public posts.
But nobody can’t see my posts as I’d be shadow banned, which is effectively
the same thing has flat-out banning me, except the corporation is still using
me to get the clicks and mine the data.
Post by shawn
While I'm not a fan of shadow banning I get why it's done. It avoids all of the
arguments that would follow with the moderators over the banning and possibly
arguments that might take over the sub-reddit.
I don’t “get why it’s done” because it censorship and that’s bullshit.

If someone needs to be banned then ban them, (as happens with moderated
newsgroups on Usenet) don’t try and pull these kinda games while presenting
your website as some kinda open discussion forum.
shawn
2018-01-13 02:38:41 UTC
On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 17:24:57 -0800 (PST), Ed Stasiak
Post by shawn
While I'm not a fan of shadow banning I get why it's done. It avoids all of the
arguments that would follow with the moderators over the banning and possibly
arguments that might take over the sub-reddit.
I don’t “get why it’s done” because it censorship and that’s bullshit.
If someone needs to be banned then ban them, (as happens with moderated
newsgroups on Usenet) don’t try and pull these kinda games while presenting
your website as some kinda open discussion forum.
Like I said they are trying to avoid the sort of long drawn out
arguements that can happen with banning. Especially if the person
being banned was well known. That discussion (really a bunch of rants)
can take over the sub-reddit/Timeline so a shadow ban avoids that as
the person is just gone without anyone being the wiser. At least not
for some time. Yeah, it sucks for the person being shadow banned and
it's a weak way to do it, but it does avoid the furor that can result
from banning some people.

What sucks is that some groups ban over the littlest things. Say the
wrong word and you can be shadow banned. I get banning people (even
shadow banning) people that are truly toxic,but trying to avoid actual
discussion of issues seems truly wrong. That's someone refusing to
acknowledge that there can be anyone out there that disagrees with
that person's world view.
Ed Stasiak
2018-01-13 17:33:55 UTC
If someone needs to be banned then ban them, don’t try and pull these
kinda games while presenting your website as some kinda open discussion
forum.
Like I said they are trying to avoid the sort of long drawn out arguements that
can happen with banning.
So what? They’re still secretly censoring people on what is being presented
as an open discussion forum.
I get banning people (even shadow banning) people that are truly toxic, but trying
to avoid actual discussion of issues seems truly wrong.
So you’re cool with shadow banning people you personally don’t like?

But what happens when someone doesn't like you?...
FPP
2018-01-13 22:11:44 UTC
If someone needs to be banned then ban them, don’t try and pull these
kinda games while presenting your website as some kinda open discussion
forum.
Like I said they are trying to avoid the sort of long drawn out arguements that
can happen with banning.
So what? They’re still secretly censoring people on what is being presented
as an open discussion forum.
I get banning people (even shadow banning) people that are truly toxic, but trying
to avoid actual discussion of issues seems truly wrong.
So you’re cool with shadow banning people you personally don’t like?
But what happens when someone doesn't like you?...
Exactly. Our founders were worried about "the tyranny of the majority".
And it's why we're supposed to be "a nation of laws, and not of men".

Men can be tyrants, and the majority can terrorize the minority. It's
why we don't allow the majority to do whatever they want.

Because today's majority can be tomorrow's minority.
shawn
Thanks for being consistent at ignoring what has been written before.
Ed Stasiak
2018-01-14 04:26:19 UTC
So you’re cool with shadow banning people you personally don’t like?
But what happens when someone doesn't like you?...
Thanks for being consistent at ignoring what has been written before.
You said you’re cool with shadow banning in some situations, I simply
asked your for reaction once you’ve been shadow banned.
The Horny Goat
2018-01-13 06:49:51 UTC
On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 17:24:57 -0800 (PST), Ed Stasiak
I don’t “get why it’s done” because it censorship and that’s bullshit.
If someone needs to be banned then ban them, (as happens with moderated
newsgroups on Usenet) don’t try and pull these kinda games while presenting
your website as some kinda open discussion forum.
Yup - don't say it's free speech if in practice that means only speech
the moderator agrees with.
BTR1701
There are no moderators or segregated topics on Twitter.
shawn
2018-01-13 09:44:29 UTC
[...]
Your point being? People can mute anyone on Twitter. They can also
block topics that they don't want to see. Some even subscribe to block
lists that will automatically mute people automatically. That first
started during the Gamer Gate mess when people would get blocked if
they followed someone that was considered toxic. As for moderators,
Twitch itself has started to act as moderator removing certain
accounts that were considered bad news for the platform.
Ed Stasiak
2018-01-13 17:40:15 UTC
There are no moderators or segregated topics on Twitter.
Your point being? People can mute anyone on Twitter. They can also
block topics that they don't want to see. Some even subscribe to block
lists that will automatically mute people automatically.
And that’s fine, as its the individual’s choice to block whoever they want
but what’s going on here, is secret across-the-board bans preventing
_anyone_ from seeing the content, whether they disagree with it or not.

Thanks, but I’m perfectly capable of deciding on my own, what I don’t
want to see.
Post by shawn
As for moderators, Twitch itself has started to act as moderator removing
certain accounts that were considered bad news for the platform.
Are they openly banning/TOSsing accounts and providing an explanation
why, or secretly shadow banning people?
BTR1701
2018-01-13 18:11:48 UTC
[...]
Your point being?
That your entire rationale for why shadowbanning is cool fails when
applied to Twitter. There are no "sub-Twits" that an argument might
"take over" as the result of an open ban.