[OT] Canadian government planning to regulate the Internet
2021-05-02 21:33:56 UTC
The damned Liberals in Ottawa apparently haven't taken enough of our
freedom away yet. They are working to regulate the Internet to take away
more of our freedom of speech.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/05/02/liberal-government-wont-reverse-bill-c-10-amendment-despite-backlash/
Vote differently. Only way to change it, short of violent revolution.
FPP
2021-05-02 22:21:43 UTC
The damned Liberals in Ottawa apparently haven't taken enough of our
freedom away yet. They are working to regulate the Internet to take away
more of our freedom of speech.
https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/05/02/liberal-government-wont-reverse-bill-c-10-amendment-despite-backlash/
Vote differently. Only way to change it, short of violent revolution.
Right. We tried both this last year, and one of them worked.
--
Memoriam for the Turd Reich: "Truth isn't truth!" (Yes, it is.)*
"What you're seeing and what you're reading is not what's happening."

* Under New Management -January 20, 2021
moviePig
It wouldn't have, if the other one had.
RichA
Democrats should do what the CRTC in Canada does. Fund everything via the state! That way for ever Schitt's Creek you end-up with a dozen productions at the high-school play talent-level.
trotsky
2021-05-03 10:16:46 UTC

Could you repeat that in English?
RichA
2021-05-02 23:13:28 UTC
The damned Liberals in Ottawa apparently haven't taken enough of our
freedom away yet. They are working to regulate the Internet to take away
more of our freedom of speech.
https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/05/02/liberal-government-wont-reverse-bill-c-10-amendment-despite-backlash/
This nonsense has been going on for decades in broadcasting. Canadian "creators" with no talent live-off government subsidies while ones with real talent head south while foreign creators are
prevented from participating fully. Much of it is to protect "French Canadian" heritage which no one but hillbillies gives a s---- about.
Ed Stasiak
2021-05-02 23:31:24 UTC
The damned Liberals in Ottawa apparently haven't taken enough of our
freedom away yet. They are working to regulate the Internet to take away
more of our freedom of speech.
https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/05/02/liberal-government-wont-reverse-bill-c-10-amendment-despite-backlash/
The Heritage Committee won’t reverse changes to Bill C-10 that would allow the CRTC to regulate Canadians’ social media content.

Conservative MP Rachael Harder argued the Heritage Committee went too far by removing the section of the bill that excluded user-generated content from regulation.

With this change, content posted to platforms like YouTube would be regulated by the CRTC. The change has sparked an outcry from the public and experts who say it could infringe on free speech.

The Liberal party effectively stopped the discussion on April 30th by voting to shut down the debate on the motion brought by the Conservatives.

Following the discussion, Heritage Minister Steven Guilbeault tweeted that “the Conservatives are proving to us that they don’t care about Canadian stories and culture.” He argued that the party is delaying parliamentary work and “misleading Canadians and putting the interests of big foreign streamers over those of Canadian creators.”

When Guilbeault introduced Bill C-10 in November 2020, he stated that user-generated content such as videos on YouTube and posts on Facebook would be exempt from regulation.

However, this exclusion was removed last month and would essentially give the CRTC the power to regulate millions of social media posts uploaded by Canadians each day.

The government has said the change is designed to regulate social media platforms the same way as conventional broadcasters. The goal of the proposed bill to ensure online streaming services contribute to the creation and production of Canadian content.

Experts and advocacy groups have said that bringing user-generated content under regulation is an attack on Canadians’ right to free speech and expression.

Sorry Rhino, RichA and HornyGoat but you guys never had the right to free speech in the first place.

https://ibb.co/d0692XG

You could have joined us back in 1812 but instead, you got all hopped-up on maple syrup and burned
down the White House...
Rhino
2021-05-03 00:16:37 UTC
Post by Ed Stasiak
Experts and advocacy groups have said that bringing user-generated content under regulation is an attack on Canadians’ right to free speech and expression.
Sorry Rhino, RichA and HornyGoat but you guys never had the right to free speech in the first place.
https://ibb.co/d0692XG
You've got a point, I will admit....
Post by Ed Stasiak
You could have joined us back in 1812 but instead, you got all hopped-up on maple syrup and burned
down the White House...
Actually, we had a shot even earlier during your Revolutionary War. The
revolutionaries sent a military contingent and a top general to Quebec,
which was the most highly populated part of the country at the time, to
invite us to join the nascent US. Guess who the general was? Benedict
Arnold! The people of Quebec gave the idea a hard pass. Apparently, the
British were a more attractive option to them at the time.

Mind you, I'm not sure who they spoke to. After all, the Brits had only
taken Quebec 20 odd years before and the majority of the population must
have been French. I'm not sure why they'd prefer the still-Brits to the
about-to-be-former-Brits....

[Short research break]
I've refreshed my memory. It seems that Benedict Arnold was only a
colonel when this happened (December 1775) and he commanded one group of
soldiers while a General Montgomery led the other group. They captured
Montreal but then marched on Quebec City and lost rather decisively in
the ensuing battle. It was the British governor of Quebec, Sir Guy
Carleton, who refused the American demand that Quebec City surrender to
the revolutionaries. The Battle of Quebec was the first loss by the
Revolutionary forces in the Revolutionary War.

https://www.history.com/topics/american-revolution/battle-of-quebec-1775

I wonder how things would have played out if Arnold and Montgomery had
asked nicely if we wanted to join the Revolution, rather than occupying
one city and then trying to take the other by force?
2021-05-04 06:46:33 UTC
On Sun, 2 May 2021 20:16:37 -0400, Rhino
Actually, we had a shot even earlier during your Revolutionary War. The=20
revolutionaries sent a military contingent and a top general to Quebec,=20
which was the most highly populated part of the country at the time, to=20
invite us to join the nascent US. Guess who the general was? Benedict=20
Arnold! The people of Quebec gave the idea a hard pass. Apparently, the=20
British were a more attractive option to them at the time.
Mind you, I'm not sure who they spoke to. After all, the Brits had only=20
taken Quebec 20 odd years before and the majority of the population must =
have been French. I'm not sure why they'd prefer the still-Brits to the=20
about-to-be-former-Brits....
In fairness, the Americans had a rather strong anti-Catholic
reputation whereas the Brits vowed to respect their religious rights.

In 1775 that was a very big thing indeed.
Adam H. Kerman
2021-05-04 21:41:58 UTC
Actually, we had a shot even earlier during your Revolutionary War. The=20
revolutionaries sent a military contingent and a top general to Quebec,=20
which was the most highly populated part of the country at the time, to=20
invite us to join the nascent US. Guess who the general was? Benedict=20
Arnold! The people of Quebec gave the idea a hard pass. Apparently, the=20
British were a more attractive option to them at the time.
Mind you, I'm not sure who they spoke to. After all, the Brits had only=20
taken Quebec 20 odd years before and the majority of the population must =
have been French. I'm not sure why they'd prefer the still-Brits to the=20
about-to-be-former-Brits....
In fairness, the Americans had a rather strong anti-Catholic
reputation whereas the Brits vowed to respect their religious rights.
Exactly when were the Brits a paragon of virtue with respect to
religious liberty?
Rhino
2021-05-04 22:53:31 UTC
[...]
I don't think anyone is saying that they ever were paragons. But the
French in Quebec, who were the vast majority of the citizenry, were keen
to keep their Catholic religion back when the British defeated them
during the 7 Years War (or the French and Indian Wars if you prefer) and
the Brits gave them guarantees that they could keep their language and
religion. The French Quebeckers finally more or less lost their religion
in the early 1960s but it had been important to them before then. (If
you don't believe me, look at a road map of Quebec, as I did in the
1980s, and virtually every town in the province had "St." (or "Ste." the
feminine form of Saint) in front of it, although the biggest cities,
Montreal and Quebec (City), did not.
In 1775 that was a very big thing indeed.
Neill Massello
2021-05-03 10:38:44 UTC
The damned Liberals in Ottawa apparently haven't taken enough of our
freedom away yet. They are working to regulate the Internet to take away
more of our freedom of speech.
https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/05/02/liberal-government-wont-reverse-bill-c-10-amendment-despite-backlash/
Liberalism is eating itself.