What Did You Watch? 2021-10-12 (Tuesday)
2021-10-13 08:30:41 UTC

VANDERPUMP RULES:
"The Schwartz Shuffle". Schwartz comes clean about pitting Katie against
Sandoval, while Ariana confides in Lisa Vanderpump about her deep-seated
issues with Lala. Sandoval helps James plan an epic vacation to Palm Springs
so he can propose to Raquel, but Randall's beef with Schwartz and Lala's
feuds with Ariana and Charli threaten to derail the trip.
I found myself channel surfing about halfway thru. Not a good sign...

VANDERPUMP RULES:
"Welcome to Rachella". Schwartz tries to regain his confidence at Lala and
Randall's pickleball tournament. Sandoval and James surprise the group with
an elaborate music festival at Coachella, but James saves the biggest
surprise for Raquel.

Trump won.
Ian J. Ball
2021-10-13 12:53:58 UTC
Even though this is my "short" workday of the week, I didn't get
through as much because of a Zoom meeting and a nap...:

The Next Step (Prime) - Ep's #3.19-3.22.
At least these episodes were better than the 4 episodes preceeding
them. For example, at least ep's #3.19-3.20 focused on Michelle.
In ep. #3.19, Michelle is late to a rehersal for 5-member group
dance, which includes Stephanie, so they have to perform for Kate with
only 4. They do OK, but they only have 4. Michelle finally arrives, but
without her dance clothes, and later her father brings by *his* gym bag
and not hers by mistake, so Michelle still can't perform. Kate ends up
going with another dance group, which infuriates Stephanie, as now
she's not a featured dancer. In the end, Kate kicks Michelle down to
alternate, which is ridiculous, as both of the TNS's best dancers,
Michelle and Amanda, are now alterantes. Riley and James walk in each
others' shoes in the comedy bit.
Ep. #3.20, was weird - it almost felt like an episode that was
originally written for Emily, but was randombly switched to Michelle.
Michelle is in one dance, but all she does is sit on a throne, while
Stephanie and the other girls get to dance around her. Michelle bursts
into tears, but tries to hide it from the others. Stephanie(!) decides
to comfort Michelle and get her out of her funk. (The thing is,
Stephanie *hates* Michelle, and has since the beginning, and nothing
that has happened since season #1 has really ever changed that!)
Stephanie is ultimately successful. Meanwhile Noah challenges Eldon to
a dance battle - this was actually fun. And Ella engages James, West
and Max in a series of challenges and beats them cold!
Ep. #3.21 saw duets between A- and B-Troupe, and Stephanie gets
stuck with crazy, sexy Beth, who does nothing but distract Stephanie
from the task at hand. Stephanie needs captain Giselle's help. Richelle
gets over her "crush" of Noah. This episode was interesting, as it was
clearly starting to set up season #4, with life beyond the "original"
Next Step dance crew...
Ep. #3.22 sees Amanda return from the exchange, finally!! They all
throw Amanda a surprise party which she greatly appreciates, as it
shows they really do care about Amanda. This episode was otherwise
mostly about various romantic couplings - e.g. Noah finally dances with
and kisses adorable Abi. But, in the end, Amanda and Michelle
commiserate about being simply alternates for internationals, and
Amanda warns Michelle that The Next Step has *no* chance against Sweden
in internationals. And Ella, the British exchange dancer, returns home.
Next episodes: They get to Miami to perform in internationals!!

soaps: DOOL - Mon's ep. The Devil makes Marlena convince Ben Weston to
have a baby with Ciara - the Devil has big plans for Ben's baby!!
Johnny tries to convince Allie to play their mom Sami in his movie
about Marlena's earlier possession. RedAbby and Chad "run lines" as
Marlena and John (complete with 90s flashback!), respectively, and it
felt like RedAbby was being drawn to Chad.
GH - Tues' ep. Kind of a stale ep. Ava advises Nikolas about
Spencer, and then admits she had Spencer arrested. Shawn, assuming
Victor is still dead, tells Alexis that he think Nikolas tried to kill
Hayden. Brando's annoying mother keeps trying to push him back into the
mob, but he tells her to shove it! Jason tries to talk Carly out of
revenge against Nina. Sonny talks to Jax, who tells Sonny his part in
Sonny getting his life back, but keeps Nina's details out of it. Nina
talks to Phyllis, and in the end Sonny walks in.

Recorded for later: Stargirl, and La Brea (which I may be dropping
soon, as I'm starting to build some DVR backlogs, and I still need to
finish out "Lucifer"...).
2021-10-13 13:15:32 UTC
Recorded for later: Stargirl, and La Brea (which I may be dropping
soon, as I'm starting to build some DVR backlogs, and I still need to
finish out "Lucifer"...).
Watch at least the beginning of La Brea. This week it became the incredibly
stupid show we were expecting in the first place.

What’s this Stargirl SG1 you speak of? Are you sure you didn’t mean
\S/tupidgirl SG1?

2021-10-13 13:15:31 UTC
Hey, thanks for asking!

I left a fake reality show running in the background much of the day,
AIRPLANE REPO. All these people pretending to be security guards and such
and nobody’s asking about the camera crew and the bright lights.
Regardless of the legalities of stealing airplanes, these guys absolutely
belong in prison. I mean they’re breaking into airports, disabling security
cameras, disabling gates, etc.

Stupidgirl
Another terrible episode spent mostly on the little kid the lesbians
adopted. Like dealing with her insecurities won’t wait until after they
save the freaking world. They also did multiple quotes from superman the
movie and a plot line from superman the quest for peace.
To add insult to injury the audio track was out of sync the whole damn
hour.

La Brea
OK, here it is! Here’s the incredibly stupid show we were all expecting
from the beginning. There’s a giant sloth that would look right at home in
a yogi bear cartoon. It’s individual hairs must be as big around as my
forearm. Howlingly awful dialogue and factual mistakes.

What did you watch?

Perhaps more importantly, what am I watching today?

SHAT IN SPACE!!!!

“The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it’s still on my list.
Ubiquitous
2021-10-13 15:21:21 UTC
Hey, thanks for asking!
I left a fake reality show running in the background much of the day,
AIRPLANE REPO. All these people pretending to be security guards and such
and nobody's asking about the camera crew and the bright lights.
Regardless of the legalities of stealing airplanes, these guys absolutely
belong in prison. I mean they're breaking into airports, disabling security
cameras, disabling gates, etc.
I always wondered how one would repo an airplane.
Post by anim8rfsk
Stupidgirl
Another terrible episode spent mostly on the little kid the lesbians
adopted. Like dealing with her insecurities won't wait until after they
save the freaking world. They also did multiple quotes from superman the
movie and a plot line from superman the quest for peace.
To add insult to injury the audio track was out of sync the whole damn
hour.
Almost everything on the CW sounds tin-y to me. I assumed it was a local
technical issue no one knows how to fix.
Post by anim8rfsk
La Brea
OK, here it is! Here's the incredibly stupid show we were all expecting
from the beginning. There's a giant sloth that would look right at home in
a yogi bear cartoon. It's individual hairs must be as big around as my
forearm. Howlingly awful dialogue and factual mistakes.
What did you watch?
Perhaps more importantly, what am I watching today?
SHAT IN SPACE!!!!
Someone put a webcam in the ISS bathroom?
I bet "trotsky" has spent many hours watching it intensely.

Trump won.
anim8rfsk
2021-10-13 15:42:22 UTC
Hey, thanks for asking!
I left a fake reality show running in the background much of the day,
AIRPLANE REPO. All these people pretending to be security guards and such
and nobody's asking about the camera crew and the bright lights.
Regardless of the legalities of stealing airplanes, these guys absolutely
belong in prison. I mean they're breaking into airports, disabling security
cameras, disabling gates, etc.
I always wondered how one would repo an airplane.
I am amazed that nobody brains these guys with an adjustable spanner.
Stupidgirl
Another terrible episode spent mostly on the little kid the lesbians
adopted. Like dealing with her insecurities won't wait until after they
save the freaking world. They also did multiple quotes from superman the
movie and a plot line from superman the quest for peace.
To add insult to injury the audio track was out of sync the whole damn
hour.
Almost everything on the CW sounds tin-y to me. I assumed it was a local
technical issue no one knows how to fix.
I just checked the show on the CW app. You can see Supergirl SG1 there even
if you can’t watch Stargirl SG1. Anyway, the audio for last nights episode
is OK there.
2021-10-13 17:01:49 UTC
Perhaps more importantly, what am I watching today?
SHAT IN SPACE!!!!
Did you have a working toilet to do that with?
dirty old man.
Pete
2021-10-13 21:07:04 UTC
La Brea
OK, here it is! Here’s the incredibly stupid show we were all expecting
from the beginning. There’s a giant sloth that would look right at home in
a yogi bear cartoon. It’s individual hairs must be as big around as my
forearm. Howlingly awful dialogue and factual mistakes.
Yeah, this is fast becoming the "stupidity of the week" show! I loved
that carnivorous giant sloth! (WP says it might have been an opportunistic
carnivore, eating others' kills, but it mainly ate leaves.) And I'm no expert,
but I thought they were named "sloths" for a reason... (:-/) I suspect --
if it was actually able to 'run' at all -- it would have been 180º from that
charge!

And it was also impressive how all the detailed displays in the control
centre went to white noise when the plane went down! Great design, guys,
to have all that graphics generated in the plane itself!

I guess it's entertaining enough in its own stupid way, and there's no
competition for me (I gaver up on Supergirl long ago) so I'll probably
continue, but I may get too bored.

-- Pete --
anim8rfsk
2021-10-13 22:48:22 UTC
Post by Pete
Post by Ian J. Ball
[...]
I love that the doctor hurt his back and told them it must be a fluid leak
if they didn’t drain it within the next X hours he’d be permanently
paralyzed. Like it might not just be a bruise or some swelling that would
go down by itself. If it’s something she actually managed to drain like
that – and he knew exactly how much to tell her to drain - why isn’t it
going to refill??

And the broad-spectrum generic antibiotics they carry in an ambulance can
kill whatever septic bacteria is on a dire wolf from 10,000 BC.

And why does everybody say 10,000 BC, not to mention exactly 10,000 BC, and
not “12,000 years“?

2021-10-13 23:11:40 UTC
In article
Post by anim8rfsk
And the broad-spectrum generic antibiotics they carry in an ambulance can
kill whatever septic bacteria is on a dire wolf from 10,000 BC.
Probably work better on those bacteria than they do now because they
wouldn't have developed a resistance to antibiotics back then the way
they have now.
Pete
2021-10-14 04:00:21 UTC
I love that the doctor hurt his back and told them it must be a fluid leak
if they didn’t drain it within the next X hours he’d be permanently
paralyzed. Like it might not just be a bruise or some swelling that would
go down by itself. If it’s something she actually managed to drain like
that – and he knew exactly how much to tell her to drain - why isn’t it
going to refill??
Yeah, that seemed like a typical "TV manufactured moment". Just the right
sequence of events for maximum drama, don't worry about the plausibility.
Ditto the cave-in...
Post by anim8rfsk
And the broad-spectrum generic antibiotics they carry in an ambulance can
kill whatever septic bacteria is on a dire wolf from 10,000 BC.
That sounds probable to me. That's sort of the point of antibiotics --
they'll kill most bacteria until they evolve resistance.
Post by anim8rfsk
And why does everybody say 10,000 BC, not to mention exactly 10,000 BC, and
not “12,000 years“?
Now that you, mention it, that does sound strangely specific! (:-))

-- Pete --
Rhino
2021-10-13 16:40:49 UTC
New Amsterdam - S4E04
The previous episode ended with everyone learning that Michelle Cox was
going to be Max's replacement. This episode began with Max objecting
vociferously; you see, he has history with her. She was a mentor in his
early years who he turned against because she only cared about dollars
and cents while he cared about people. The episode centers on legacies:
what legacy Max is going to leave and what legacy Helen is going to
leave. Max does everything he can to put the brakes on what his
replacement is clearly aiming to do but to little effect. Floyd helps a
patient who appears to be black but denies it initially; later it turns
out she had a white mother and black father and was adopted into a white
family and is having trouble dealing with her skin being darker than
theirs so she overdoses on skin whiteners. Iggy tries to help everyone
on the staff with their respective challenges.

The Resident - S5E05
Conrad is obsessed with trying to understand why Nic had the accident
that killed her and goes deep down a rabbit hole to search for some
previous medical history that would explain it. Ultimately, it looks
like Nic may only have braked to avoid hitting a deer. Meanwhile AJ and
Billie's son have a DWB (Driving While Black) experience that reinforce
Billie's son's assumption that all cops are racist. His mouthing off to
the cop nearly gets him shot and then succeeds in getting the cop
seriously injured when he falls victim to a hit-and-run scooter; AJ
saves him though. Bell has to persuade a colleague who is past his prime
to retire before he kills someone.
2021-10-13 17:08:12 UTC
[...]
I suppose I should have added that I also watched the second episode of
Squid Game. After all the hype, I got curious and watched the first
episode on the long weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving) and the second
episode last night. The second episode saw one of the survivors of the
first episode invoke a rule that if a majority of the players wanted to
end the game, it would end and everyone could return to the outer
society without having won any money; all the money in the pot would go
to the families of those who died playing the game. In a very close
election, the survivors voted to end the game. However, as we follow the
main characters, we see that they are all dealing with the same issues
they had when they agreed to play the game in the first place and none
of their problems have gone away. It seems likely that some of them will
regret their decision and will return to the game....
2021-10-13 18:04:27 UTC
"The Schwartz Shuffle". Schwartz comes clean about pitting Katie against
Sandoval, while Ariana confides in Lisa Vanderpump about her deep-seated
issues with Lala.
Is Ariana the one who hates sex and expects her boyfriend to become
celibate because she's just so wonderful he should be willing to go
without sex for the rest of his life just for the privilege of basking
in her presence?

(I caught part of a marathon of this show and feel like I committed a
hate crime against myself.)
Ubiquitous
2021-10-14 11:04:05 UTC
"The Schwartz Shuffle". Schwartz comes clean about pitting Katie against
Sandoval, while Ariana confides in Lisa Vanderpump about her deep-seated
issues with Lala.
Is Ariana the one who hates sex and expects her boyfriend to become
celibate because she's just so wonderful he should be willing to go
without sex for the rest of his life just for the privilege of basking
in her presence?
I'm not sure. Are you talking about the blonde or the brunnette with a
"Karen" haircut?

--
Trump won.