US repatriation of remains
2019-08-10 16:09:39 UTC
https://nypost.com/2019/08/08/vietnam-war-airmans-remains-flown-home-by-pilot-son/

While driving to Blaine, WA yesterday there was a report on our local
(Vancouver) radio station involving a reporter they had sent last week
to El Paso to report on the shootings. Along with the report they got
a completely different story (see above).

The reporter said they were kept on board the aircraft while a coffin
was unloaded and flight crew distributed US flags to passengers
(including the Canadian reporter). The co-pilot then came on the
intercom and gave a synopsis of the above story.

Think what you like about the Vietnam war and 1967 but I do think that
the above story of the homecoming 52 years later represents America at
its finest. I particularly like that they returned him to the same
airport he left from.
A Friend
2019-08-10 18:27:08 UTC
https://nypost.com/2019/08/08/vietnam-war-airmans-remains-flown-home-by-pilot-
son/
While driving to Blaine, WA yesterday there was a report on our local
(Vancouver) radio station involving a reporter they had sent last week
to El Paso to report on the shootings. Along with the report they got
a completely different story (see above).
The reporter said they were kept on board the aircraft while a coffin
was unloaded and flight crew distributed US flags to passengers
(including the Canadian reporter). The co-pilot then came on the
intercom and gave a synopsis of the above story.
Think what you like about the Vietnam war and 1967 but I do think that
the above story of the homecoming 52 years later represents America at
its finest. I particularly like that they returned him to the same
airport he left from.
I'd seen the story, of course. I wasn't aware that the airplane's
passengers had been required to participate or, as a matter of fact,
that there were passengers aboard in the first place. The coverage
gave the strong impression that this had been a special flight.
The Horny Goat
2019-08-10 22:39:26 UTC
I'd seen the story, of course. I wasn't aware that the airplane's
passengers had been required to participate or, as a matter of fact,
that there were passengers aboard in the first place. The coverage
gave the strong impression that this had been a special flight.
Nope it was a commercial flight and one where the pilot heard what it
was carrying and requested and got permission to captain (which he was
100% qualified to do) that flight.

Apparently it was even the same airport the late colonel had departed
from 52 years previously when heading to Vietnam.

Am still ambivalent how I feel about US bombing in Vietnam and
elsewhere in Indochina - I was in high school then so am old enough to
remember well - but good on all those who made the return this week
with dignity and honor!

[My only personal experience as an airline passenger being delayed
exiting a flight was on a Hong Kong - Vancouver flight where an
elderly passenger had expired about 1 hour out from Vancouver and as
Vancouver was the closest airfield the plane continued to its
destination. We were kept on board until the ambulance attendents
confirmed that she was already gone at which point they put a blanket
over her and told the crew to deplane the passengers. When we went up
the tunnel we passed the ambulance men flanked with a pair of Mounties
who were obviously about to swing into action as soon as the last
passenger deplaned. Apparently there were legalities that had to be
followed when a passenger passed outside Canadian airspace on a Canada
bound flight. No idea the lady's citizenship or residency so please
don't ask.

I >DO< know that the Canadian legal requirements are different
depending on whether the deceased is citizen, non-citizen or military
personnel as I had to organize my mother's return to Canada after
passing when out of country back in 2005. That was definitely NOT a
fun week!]
A Friend
2019-08-11 02:43:09 UTC
Am still ambivalent how I feel about US bombing in Vietnam and
elsewhere in Indochina - I was in high school then so am old enough to
remember well - but good on all those who made the return this week
with dignity and honor!
There were other remains aboard the flight? First I've heard about
that, too.
The Horny Goat
2019-08-11 21:27:27 UTC
Am still ambivalent how I feel about US bombing in Vietnam and
elsewhere in Indochina - I was in high school then so am old enough to
remember well - but good on all those who made the return this week
with dignity and honor!
There were other remains aboard the flight? First I've heard about
that, too.
Hmmm didn't hear that - I mostly heard about it on the radio -
Canadian radio station was sending reporter to El Paso to report on
the shootings and ended up by pure chance on that flight. Then looked
up the store online thereafter.

But it sounds like they did everything very right so I thought it was
a somewhat feel good story (as opposed to how the colonel got dead in
the first place...)