What Did You Watch? 2020-07-21 (Tuesday)
2020-07-22 08:30:41 UTC

FORBIDDEN HISTORY:
Several eps combined into a super-sized one.
(I'm starting to get tired of this)

MARRIED WITH CHILDREN:
"Thge Good-Bye Girl". After her modelling school closes, Kelly lands a job at
"TV World" theme park. Meanwhile, Al goes on a trip around the world.

MARRIED WITH CHILDREN:
"The Gas Station Show". "Bundy Sunday Fun Day" is no fun for Al when he's
forced to work in a gas station to pay the family's junk-food bill.

"It took a worldwide pandemic. It took a 35% plunge in the stock
market. It took quarantining. It took many small businesses closing. It
took canceling practically everything, to bring the USA economy back to
the Obama high mark."

Ian J. Ball
2020-07-22 17:08:35 UTC
Deadly Secrets by the Lake (LMN) - I watched this Lifetime flick with
Stefanie von Pfetten again because I couldn't remember what happened.
But I got to the end, and remembered why this flick pissed me off so
much! - it basically *doesn't end*. Yeah, they resolve the case of
getting the younger sister cleared of the murder charge - but they
don't resolve *at all* the overarching mystery of her missing high
school bestie. I can't tell if this was a backdoor pilot, or an attempt
to set up a sequel film, but it's a really shitty way to end a flick
like this if you aren't 100% sure the follow-up is going to get
made!... >:/

soaps: B&B - OK, *finally*, we actually get new material in this
episode! The non-Sally parts of the episode were boring, but the kooky
adventures of Sally and poor Dr. Penny Escobar as they are "forced" to
kidnap Flo were a hoot! I loved the looks on Dr. Penny's face when
Sally finally revealed what her plan is! I'm guessing this will end
with Penny siding with Flo (that Sally is nuts!!), and freeing Flo.
P.S. I'm betting at least some of these scenes were filmed
pre-lockdown, as the scenes with Steffi and Liam and the kid on the
couch were definitely not following social distancing guidelines!!
DOOL - I was really disappointed that they didn't have Claire just
up and leave town when no one was looking, once she realized that none
of her family has any faith in her (or her sanity) - that still would
have set Claire up as the "main suspect" for the bomb, without being so
utterly (and uninterestinly) ham-fisted about it, and it would have
been a lot more satisfying.

I ended up watching most of "She's the Man" (on HBO Comedy) again,
because it features so many actresses (e.g. Alexandra Breckenridge,
Laura Ramsey, Amanda Crew, Jessica Lucas) in their primes!! I had
forgotten that this was one of Channing Tatum's first starring roles,
and that the (once) ubiquitous Canadian actress Emily Perkins turns up
in this (as does John Pyper-Ferguson!) too. Sidenote: Judging from the
looks of it, Brandon Jay McLaren (who was also seemingly ubiquitous in
the 2000s!) must have played soccer for real!

The Man in the High Castle (Prime) - I finished out the series, so ep's
#4.7-4.10.
While by far the strongest scenes in this final season are in these
episodes, I agree with Arthur that the way this played out, it felt
like they had intended to do an additional fifth (and likely final)
season, but then were told late in the production of this fourth season
that the show was ending and that they had to wrap it up. As a result,
it felt like they glossed over about a season's worth of plot
developments in the final couple of episodes.
The ending itself was also very, very weak - the fate of the Smiths,
especially, I didn't buy (they didn't even show up what happened to the
daughters!!), I didn't buy the U.S. Reich just falling apart at the
end, and them *not* destorying the gate after all that (and what
happened with the gate) was incredibly hokey.
In conclusion, I thought the first three seasons of this (esp.
season #1!) were strong, but this fourth season was a letdown for a
variety of reasons.

Blame (Prime) - This wasn't bad... A clearly independent flick,
inspired(?) by "The Crucible", it focuses on an emotionally damaged and
vulnerable teen (Quinn Shephard, who also wrote, directed, and produced
this flick!) who begins to be attracted to her substitute
literature(/drama?) teacher (Chris Messina), and the jealous damaged
(head?) cheerleader (Nadia Alexander) who wants to destroy the girl.
Definitely an "independent film", but decent, and it kept me interested
throughout. Would have preferred a little stronger ending though...

Recorded for later: Stargirl.
2020-07-22 19:47:22 UTC
[...]
I vaguely remember when this was released, but I've never seen it before.
#1!) were strong, but this fourth season was a letdown for a variety of
reasons.
Blame (Prime) - This wasn't bad... A clearly independent flick,
inspired(?) by "The Crucible", it focuses on an emotionally damaged and
vulnerable teen (Quinn Shephard, who also wrote, directed, and produced
this flick!) who begins to be attracted to her substitute
literature(/drama?) teacher (Chris Messina), and the jealous damaged
(head?) cheerleader (Nadia Alexander) who wants to destroy the girl.
Definitely an "independent film", but decent, and it kept me interested
throughout. Would have preferred a little stronger ending though...
Recorded for later: Stargirl.
I completely forgot about Stargirl! I just checked my DVR and it wasn't
recorded and it's not scheduled to record next week either. I'm
assuming I can pull it off of OnDemand, but I need to look further into
what's happening with Stargirl. I assume it's an issue with the local
affiliate since it seems to be airing everyone else.

I watched:

Stargate Atlantis (Season 3 DVD)

I binged on a bunch of episodes. Highlights included:

"Progeny" - Atlantis encounter human form replicators.

"The Real World" - Basically part two of "Progeny" with Dr. Weir's body
being infected with replicator nanites. Not actually a "good" episode,
but O'Neill guess stared.

"McKay and Mrs. Miller" – Using math equations from his sister, McKay
almost destroys an entire universe. Along the way, a McKay from that
parallel universe shows up and turns out to be a nice guy. David
Hewlett’s real-life sisters plays his character's sister. On the
commentary they said in the episode where McKay first said he had a
sister, the script originally said brother but Hewlett asked for the
line to be changed to sister since he had one in real life and she was
also an actor. At the time they didn't think his real-life sister would
ever actually appear on the show.

The Return: Part 1 and 2 - After rescuing an Ancient Warship full of
living Ancients, everyone is kicked off of Atlantis. In their usual
arrogance, the Ancients aren't worried when the human form replicators
attack and are promptly killed off! However Woolsey and General O'Neill
were still in the city at the time so everyone whose name appears in the
opening credits, mount an unauthroized rescue mission to save them.
This was a pretty good two-parter. During the second part there's a
scene where they discuss O'Neill needing to dive into a submerged part
of the city in order to save the day. I thought to myself it would be
really cool if they could actually show O'Neill swimming in submerged
city as an extended underwater action sequence, but there would be no
way on a TV budget to do/show something like that. Then the next scene
was O'Neill swimming in the underwater action sequence I had just ruled
out as being impossible for a show like this to do.

"Tao of Rodney" - McKay accidentally gets "super powers." OK episode.

Merlin (DVD) 1998 NBC miniseries staring Sam Neill as Merlin and Helena
Bonham Carter as Morgan le Fay. Normally I wouldn't go near an old DVD
like this, but between watching the Stargate DVDs, and the other King
Arthur movies recently, I figured why not. Plus I was really in the
mood to revisit it after all of these years. Even though I was by far
more familiar with this movie than I was "Excalibur," watching
"Excalibur" really did help me with following the plot and characters.
I was noticing the differences between this and "Excalibur" and to my
surprise, there were actually things they did in "Excalibur" that I
thought were better. For example, when young King Arthur first gets the
sword and is trying to unite everyone under his rule, he hands an enemy
his sword and offers his head. In "Excalibur" they refuse to follow him
because he's just a squire so he hands an enemy knight his sword and
asks to be knighted. I thought that was much better. This movie also
didn't have any battle between Merlin and Mogan le Fay where she traps
him in ice. Isn't that part of the real legend? In stead of Morgan le
Fay as the main antagonist this movie has Merlin fighting Queen Mab
(Miranda Richardson) who I don't think is actually part of the original
Merlin/King Arthur story. But I could be wrong. One change I did like
was Martin Short as a gnome. He stole every scene he was in. And I
also really liked how the reason no one could pull the sword from the
stone is because it was being held by a rock giant. Overall, it holds
up very well.
anim8rfsk
2020-07-22 20:18:56 UTC
Stargate Atlantis (Season 3 DVD)
"Progeny" - Atlantis encounter human form replicators.
"The Real World" - Basically part two of "Progeny" with Dr. Weir's body
being infected with replicator nanites. Not actually a "good" episode,
but O'Neill guess stared.
Usually I don't pick at typos (unless you're Ian) but that's a pretty funny
double header there. :)
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
"McKay and Mrs. Miller" – Using math equations from his sister, McKay
almost destroys an entire universe. Along the way, a McKay from that
parallel universe shows up and turns out to be a nice guy. David
Hewlett’s real-life sisters plays his character's sister. On the
commentary they said in the episode where McKay first said he had a
sister, the script originally said brother but Hewlett asked for the
line to be changed to sister since he had one in real life and she was
also an actor. At the time they didn't think his real-life sister would
ever actually appear on the show.
And yet she shows up a few times. :)
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
heh
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
"Tao of Rodney" - McKay accidentally gets "super powers." OK episode.
Merlin (DVD) 1998 NBC miniseries staring Sam Neill as Merlin and Helena
Bonham Carter as Morgan le Fay. Normally I wouldn't go near an old DVD
That's also on Amazon PRIME. The sequel, too.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
no
2020-07-22 20:58:53 UTC
Stargate Atlantis (Season 3 DVD)
"Progeny" - Atlantis encounter human form replicators.
"The Real World" - Basically part two of "Progeny" with Dr. Weir's body
being infected with replicator nanites. Not actually a "good" episode,
but O'Neill guess stared.
Usually I don't pick at typos (unless you're Ian) but that's a pretty funny
double header there. :)
Sometimes I'm rushed and can't do a proper proof read. But in this
instance I wasn't actually rushed. Just trained to look for "red" for
typos. Took me a while to find it too!
"McKay and Mrs. Miller" – Using math equations from his sister, McKay
almost destroys an entire universe. Along the way, a McKay from that
parallel universe shows up and turns out to be a nice guy. David
Hewlett’s real-life sisters plays his character's sister. On the
commentary they said in the episode where McKay first said he had a
sister, the script originally said brother but Hewlett asked for the
line to be changed to sister since he had one in real life and she was
also an actor. At the time they didn't think his real-life sister would
ever actually appear on the show.
And yet she shows up a few times. :)
I'll keep an eye out.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
"Tao of Rodney" - McKay accidentally gets "super powers." OK episode.
Merlin (DVD) 1998 NBC miniseries staring Sam Neill as Merlin and Helena
Bonham Carter as Morgan le Fay. Normally I wouldn't go near an old DVD
That's also on Amazon PRIME. The sequel, too.
Sequel?!?!?!

Added to the watchlist. I'm not sure if I've seen it before. It's
possible until now I never even knew it existed. But it's hard to be
100% certain since sometimes I'll watch a movie then forget it. Still
looks like it premiered on the Hallmark channel, so there's a very good
chance I had no idea this movie ever existed until now.
up very well.
anim8rfsk
2020-07-22 21:10:16 UTC
Stargate Atlantis (Season 3 DVD)
"Progeny" - Atlantis encounter human form replicators.
"The Real World" - Basically part two of "Progeny" with Dr. Weir's body
being infected with replicator nanites. Not actually a "good" episode,
but O'Neill guess stared.
Usually I don't pick at typos (unless you're Ian) but that's a pretty funny
double header there. :)
Sometimes I'm rushed and can't do a proper proof read. But in this
instance I wasn't actually rushed. Just trained to look for "red" for
typos. Took me a while to find it too!
I'm picturing RDH staring questioningly ...
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
"Tao of Rodney" - McKay accidentally gets "super powers." OK episode.
Merlin (DVD) 1998 NBC miniseries staring Sam Neill as Merlin and Helena
Bonham Carter as Morgan le Fay. Normally I wouldn't go near an old DVD
That's also on Amazon PRIME. The sequel, too.
Sequel?!?!?!
yeparoonies
Added to the watchlist. I'm not sure if I've seen it before. It's
possible until now I never even knew it existed. But it's hard to be
100% certain since sometimes I'll watch a movie then forget it. Still
looks like it premiered on the Hallmark channel, so there's a very good
chance I had no idea this movie ever existed until now.
Awhile ago I searched the PRIME for 'Merlin' and pretty much added everything
to my watchlist. That's when I found it. :)
2020-07-22 22:16:51 UTC
Stargate Atlantis (Season 3 DVD)
"Progeny" - Atlantis encounter human form replicators.
"The Real World" - Basically part two of "Progeny" with Dr. Weir's body
being infected with replicator nanites. Not actually a "good" episode,
but O'Neill guess stared.
Usually I don't pick at typos (unless you're Ian) but that's a pretty funny
double header there. :)
Sometimes I'm rushed and can't do a proper proof read. But in this
instance I wasn't actually rushed. Just trained to look for "red" for
typos. Took me a while to find it too!
I'm picturing RDH staring questioningly ...
Spelling errors are underlined in red. If I don't see red there's an
incorrect assumption it's spelled correctly. Case in point, "guess
stared." Proof reading usually catches those types of errors.
Generally, I like to proof read multiple times before hitting send. I
*hate* typos! But sometimes I don't have time to do more than a casual
glance and relying on the computer spell check. You can tell if I'm
really rushed because even some stuff underlined in red get passed me.
anim8rfsk
2020-07-23 00:05:59 UTC
Wed, 22 Jul 2020 12:47:22 -0700 Arthur
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
The scary thing about The Facebook and it's Messenger is that it introduces
spelling errors *after* you hit send.
Only on mobile.
anim8rfsk
2020-07-23 04:49:07 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Wed, 22 Jul 2020 13:58:53 -0700 Arthur
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
Hmm. It might not do it on the Messenger desktop app, but I'm pretty sure it
does it in the pop up messenger tabs in the Facebook desktop browser version.
2020-07-23 05:05:43 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
I haven't seen them change when I message on the laptop. The tablet app
wants to autocorrect everything. I don't have it enabled on the computer.
anim8rfsk
2020-07-23 06:36:48 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by anim8rfsk
Wed, 22 Jul 2020 15:16:51 -0700 Arthur
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
Well, that would change everything. :D

I know it autocorrects on the desktop, I just don't know for sure if it
changes after it's sent.
TeeJay1952
2020-07-23 12:17:46 UTC
I completely forgot about Stargirl!  I just checked my DVR and it wasn't
recorded and it's not scheduled to record next week either.
I set manual rescord after not seeing it on DVR. Showed up as Stargirl
instead of DC's Stargirl. Meta mistake or new tital? Next week will show
answer.
Tee (not t) Jay
Jim G.
2020-08-01 23:26:06 UTC
STARGIRL / 1x10 / Brainwave Jr. / 07/21/20

[As Henry Jr. hones his newfound skills, secrets from his family’s past
force him to make a difficult decision. Tensions between Pat and Barbara
have her revisit her own past.]

I'm sooooo glad that Mom's finally in the loop and on the team, even
though I'm not so happy with how long it took her to stop being
so...difficult about it. Meanwhile, young Henry's redemption arc is
completed, which means that it's time for him to die after making one
final overdue and sincere apology to Yolanda. This was probably the
strongest episode so far and continues to be the best superhero show on
CW. So I can't wait for Team Berlanti to screw it all up next year after
DC removes its parental oversight...

Grade: B
"I'm really glad we're at this place in our relationship where we can
dig up graves together without having to talk." -- Major Lillywhite, iZOMBIE
Arthur Lipscomb
2020-08-02 02:49:56 UTC
Post by Jim G.
STARGIRL / 1x10 / Brainwave Jr. / 07/21/20
[As Henry Jr. hones his newfound skills, secrets from his family’s past
force him to make a difficult decision. Tensions between Pat and Barbara
have her revisit her own past.]
I'm sooooo glad that Mom's finally in the loop and on the team, even
though I'm not so happy with how long it took her to stop being
so...difficult about it. Meanwhile, young Henry's redemption arc is
completed, which means that it's time for him to die after making one
final overdue and sincere apology to Yolanda. This was probably the
strongest episode so far and continues to be the best superhero show on
CW. So I can't wait for Team Berlanti to screw it all up next year after
DC removes its parental oversight...
There was a segment on the 200th episode of "Robot Chicken" where a
demon rose up from hell and it had the face of Greg Berlanti. The demon
then admitted it was Greg Berlanti. However what shocked me was when
the rolled the credits and revealed Greg Berlanti actually voiced the
demon. Clearly he has a sense of humor about his status in the fan
community.
Ubiquitous
2020-08-03 00:01:14 UTC
Post by Jim G.
STARGIRL / 1x10 / Brainwave Jr. / 07/21/20
[As Henry Jr. hones his newfound skills, secrets from his family’s past
force him to make a difficult decision. Tensions between Pat and Barbara
have her revisit her own past.]
I'm sooooo glad that Mom's finally in the loop and on the team, even
though I'm not so happy with how long it took her to stop being
so...difficult about it. Meanwhile, young Henry's redemption arc is
completed, which means that it's time for him to die after making one
final overdue and sincere apology to Yolanda. This was probably the
strongest episode so far and continues to be the best superhero show on
CW. So I can't wait for Team Berlanti to screw it all up next year after
DC removes its parental oversight...
What? I assumed he's been running this show all along, which is the main
reason I didn't bother.

--
Every American should want President Trump and his administration to
handle the coronavirus epidemic effectively and successfully. Those who
demands not only of civic responsibility but of basic decency.
Jim G.
2020-08-30 02:56:21 UTC
Post by Jim G.
STARGIRL / 1x10 / Brainwave Jr. / 07/21/20
[As Henry Jr. hones his newfound skills, secrets from his family’s past
force him to make a difficult decision. Tensions between Pat and Barbara
have her revisit her own past.]
I'm sooooo glad that Mom's finally in the loop and on the team, even
though I'm not so happy with how long it took her to stop being
so...difficult about it. Meanwhile, young Henry's redemption arc is
completed, which means that it's time for him to die after making one
final overdue and sincere apology to Yolanda. This was probably the
strongest episode so far and continues to be the best superhero show on
CW. So I can't wait for Team Berlanti to screw it all up next year after
DC removes its parental oversight...
What? I assumed he's been running this show all along, which is the main
reason I didn't bother.
My understanding is that it was mostly Geoff Johns (who I like a lot)
and DC, with Berlanti included to placate the CW Vancouver crowd. Johns
recently went out of his way to essentially assure fans that season two
won't suck, making it clear that he's VERY aware of fan concerns. He
also pointed out that they'll continue to film in Georgia, which is a
good sign since it should reduce the contamination potential of Vancouver.