What Did You Watch? 2020-07-30 (Thursday)
2020-07-31 08:30:41 UTC

GHOST ADVENTURES:SCREAMING ROOM:
"The Annabelle Investigation". Scoobie Douche and the guys review their
investigation of the "possessed doll" that inspired a bunch of horror movies.

"It took a worldwide pandemic. It took a 35% plunge in the stock
market. It took quarantining. It took many small businesses closing. It
took canceling practically everything, to bring the USA economy back to
the Obama high mark."
Ian J. Ball
2020-07-31 15:50:24 UTC
Lots and lots of movies!! (The last entry may be of interest to Fred,
et al!...):

Carriers (Showtime Extreme, which I guess has taken over from Showtime
Beyond for Skiffy flicks now that the latter channel has been killed...
:/ ) -
How come I've never heard of this film before?!!
A 2009 (though filmed in 2006!) post-apocalyptic flick starring
Piper Perabo (when she still looked good!), Emily VanCamp, Lou Taylor
Pucci, and Chris Pine! - Where has this been hiding??!!!
This flick is very dark - like almost pitch black. The ending,
especially, I thought was gratitously downbeat, which I didn't care
for...
But this certainly kept my interest, though I don't think it really
offers anything new (more of Emily VanCamp in a bikini top would have
helped!), and it's certainly pretty effective.

The Last Kingdom (Netflix) - Ep. #4.6. Uhtred and his group, which
includes Eadith and the three children, is on the run, as is
Aethelflead and Lord Aldhelm (though we don't see much of them...), all
this happening when an outbreak of the Plague(?) hits the countryside.
Ultimately, Uhtred's group gets cornered by Eardwulf and his men, but
Eadith exposes Eardwulf's treachery to his men, which works as Eardwulf
takes off, and his men seem to ride back to Mercia.
In Mercia, Lady Aelswith shows up, which causes tension between King
Edward and the Mercians, and Edward insists that Aelswith be let into
the city, despite the gates being closed to keep out the Plague(?).
Aelswith then tries to talk some sense into Edward, who is starting to
lose confidence in the (treacherous) Lord Aethelhelm.
In Wales, Brida is now a slave (though she hasn't seemed to have
lost the baby yet), but it sounds like the Welsh are about to be
attacked by Danes arriving from Ireland.

soaps: B&B - Another preemption leads to another rerun.
DOOL - Crazy Claire shows up on HottCiara's doorstep and not only
swears her innocence, but virtually demands that Ciara help Claire
figure out who set her up as the "saboteur"!... I enjoyed Eve giving it
to the captive Ben (I'm wholly sympathetic to Eve here). EvenHotterGabi
(though her hair was overdone here) gets one up on Chad by helping Li
arrange a deal for DiMera enterprises. Gwen insist that she and Jake
"move in" to the DiMera mansion. And, finally, stupid Allie goes in to
labor, and then she kicks Sami out, and insists that Nicole be her
"birthing coach" instead!
GH - I think they're rerunning the last few episodes that were "new"
(from early May) before production halted and the show went into reruns
- GH starts up with new episodes on Monday.

The Strangers: Prey at Night (Prime) - Stretches of this were
unsatisfying when the principals (Christina Hendricks, Martin
Henderson, Lewis Pullman, and the "ingenue" Bailee Madison) do all the
usual "wrong" horror movie tropes (e.g. like not killing or
incapacitating the murderers when you have the chance!).
That said, I did like that this one did seem to pretty clearly "end"
the (short) "The Strangers" franchise here, as Madison's character
ultimately does do what needs to get done (even if she's horribly
inefficient about it!!).
However, the ending is several minutes too long, and includes a
final scene that was both stupid and pointlessly gratuitous.
So, this was less effective than the original film, but I thought
Madison was pretty good in this.

Agents of SHIELD (recorded) - "Stolen" (ep. #7.10) - I think I liked
this episode less than Fred did. It was OK, but it really didn't grab
me. (It also feels like the story is being needlessly stretched out
now...)
However, it's looking like the next episode (the penultimate before
the 2-hour finale) looks more promising.

After (Netflix) - Netflix finally comes through with a recent
theatrical that I was curious to see. (But I think this is pretty
literally, like, the *only* one they have like that!!)
I thought this was really "standard fare" for a "teen romance" flick
like this, and wasn't nearly as good as, say, "To All the Boys I've
Loved Before".
This stars Katherine Langford's sister, Josephine (who looks to be a
shrimp!), and Ralph Fiennes' nephew, Hero Fiennes-Tiffin, as the meek,
bookish "good girl" and the presumptuous, damaged "bad boy",
respectively, who fall for each other in her first year of college.
(But, wait! There's a devastating twist!!)
Langford and Fiennes-Tiffin are fine in this, and the film *looks*
good, but it is breaking about *zero* new ground here, and doesn't
really offer anything original.
P.S. Selma Blair plays Langford's mother in this, and she looks so
*old* now... :(
I guess they've done a sequel to this one which seems much, *much*
more unnecessary than the sequels they've planned for To All the Boys
I've Loved Before"... :|

Bad Kids of Crestview Academy (Prime) - Wow: Ben Browder of "Farscape"
actually directs this 2017 flick!! (He also appears in it as "the
janitor".)
And I didn't realize until the end that this was actually a sequel
to the 2012 flick "Bad Kids Go To Hell" (Browder also played the
janitor in that one) - I'm pretty sure I've seen "Bad Kids Go To Hell",
but I don't remember what happens, and after watching this sequel, I'm
now going to need to go back and watch it again soon!
Anyway, this stars Sammi Hanratty as a (tiny!) "scholarship kid" and
student delinquent at the aforementioned Crestview Academy, who
conspires to get herself into weekend detention with four other of the
"rich kids" who may know something about her sister's suspicious
"suicide" death at a party the week before.
The good thing about this flick is that, even with the
"flashforward" at the beginning, I had *no* idea where it was going,
which is pretty much always a good thing for film with me, these days.
And I liked the ending.
I'm not sure I liked Browder's choice to interspese animated bits of
the "graphic novel" that this film is based on in with the
"live-action" parts, but overall I liked this film, and its tone.
The ending seems to prime it for YA sequel, though I don't think
there's been any movement on such a thing.

Recorded for later: Nothing! ("Blindspot" is over... :( )
2020-07-31 16:35:16 UTC
Lots and lots of movies!! (The last entry may be of interest to Fred, et
Carriers (Showtime Extreme, which I guess has taken over from Showtime
Beyond for Skiffy flicks now that the latter channel has been killed...
:/  ) -
  How come I've never heard of this film before?!!
  A 2009 (though filmed in 2006!) post-apocalyptic flick starring Piper
Perabo (when she still looked good!), Emily VanCamp, Lou Taylor Pucci,
and Chris Pine! - Where has this been hiding??!!!
  This flick is very dark - like almost pitch black. The ending,
especially, I thought was gratitously downbeat, which I didn't care for...
  But this certainly kept my interest, though I don't think it really
offers anything new (more of Emily VanCamp in a bikini top would have
helped!), and it's certainly pretty effective.
Netflix says I saw and liked this when it first came out, but I don't
remember it.

snip
[...]

I added Bad Kids Go To Hell to my Netflix queue 7 years ago and it's
been sitting there ever since. I guess I can move it to the top, or
catch it on Prime.

I watched:

The Seasoning House (Netflix rental) I need to give some mild spoilers
to explain the plot. This is 2013 thriller about a mute (and maybe deaf
although that part is really sketchy!) girl (Rosie Day) in some war torn
country. Her parents are murdered by soldiers (lead by Sean Pertwwee)
and she is taken to a brothel where other girls are kidnapped and forced
into prostitution. The guy who runs the house falls in "love" with her
and puts her to work cleaning up the other girls and giving them their
daily heroin injections. In the meantime she is secretly moving through
the house using crawlspace in the walls. One day Pertwee and his
soldiers return to the house and one of the soldiers hurts a new girl
that Rosie has befriended. Rosie then kills the soldier and uses the
hidden crawl space to hide and attack as the soldiers go after her.
It's a low budget schlock film, but it's better than it has any right
to be. Although it did get really bloody at times forcing me to look away.

Forget me Not (Amazon Prime) - 2009 supernatural horror movie mentioned
by Ian the other day. Some supernatural entity is killing a group of
photogenic teenagers and as each one dies they are erased from history.
It held my interest well enough. I had planned to also watch
"Babysitter Wanted" but I only made it 5 or so minutes before turning it
off. I'm not sure if I'm going to revisit it or not.

I *wanted* to watch Stargate Universe, but Prime will let me add to the
watch list, but it's not actually available to stream. It took me a
while to figure that out.

Transformers: War for Cybertron Trilogy (Netflix streaming) I watched
the first three episodes of this new Transformers series that uses the
original 80s designs, upgraded with modern CGI. I have really mixed
feelings about it. It's hard to explain if you weren't a child of the
80s who grew up loving Transformers. First what they got right, the
designs and voices are spot on 80s Transformers. I can't stress enough
how important that is. But what they got wrong is pretty huge. This
first bath of episodes serves almost like a prequel, showing the war on
Cybertron before the Autobots came to Earth. That is really great to
see. I don't mind them retconning a thing or two, but they are messing
with the characters in ways that just don't seem consistent and it's
bugging me. A lot. Ultramagnus surrenders to the deceptions? Not in
this time space continuum he doesn't!!!! If you *know* Transformers,
you *know* that would *never* happen! Jetfire is a loyal Decepticon
serving Megatron? No. Just No. Still, this is the closest thing to
"real" Transformers since the 80s, so I'm going to stick with it. And
it's only three episodes in, a lot of the character stuff *might* be
fixed. But some of it can't be.
Ian J. Ball
2020-07-31 16:47:53 UTC
Lots and lots of movies!! (The last entry may be of interest to Fred,
Bad Kids of Crestview Academy (Prime) - Wow: Ben Browder of "Farscape"
actually directs this 2017 flick!! (He also appears in it as "the
janitor".)
  And I didn't realize until the end that this was actually a sequel to
the 2012 flick "Bad Kids Go To Hell" (Browder also played the janitor
in that one) - I'm pretty sure I've seen "Bad Kids Go To Hell", but I
don't remember what happens, and after watching this sequel, I'm now
going to need to go back and watch it again soon!
snip
I added Bad Kids Go To Hell to my Netflix queue 7 years ago and it's
been sitting there ever since. I guess I can move it to the top, or
catch it on Prime.
I'm likely to try to get to it today...
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
Damn - only available via iTunes, or I would have sought this out...
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Forget me Not (Amazon Prime) - 2009 supernatural horror movie mentioned
by Ian the other day. Some supernatural entity is killing a group of
photogenic teenagers and as each one dies they are erased from history.
It held my interest well enough.
And is primed for a better remake.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
I had planned to also watch "Babysitter Wanted" but I only made it 5 or
so minutes before turning it off. I'm not sure if I'm going to revisit
it or not.
It's definitely slow starting - it may take as many as 30 minutes
before it starts getting anywhere.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Transformers: War for Cybertron Trilogy (Netflix streaming) I watched
the first three episodes of this new Transformers series that uses the
original 80s designs, upgraded with modern CGI. I have really mixed
feelings about it. It's hard to explain if you weren't a child of the
80s who grew up loving Transformers. First what they got right, the
designs and voices are spot on 80s Transformers. I can't stress enough
how important that is.
Cool.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
But what they got wrong is pretty huge. This first bath of episodes
serves almost like a prequel, showing the war on Cybertron before the
Autobots came to Earth. That is really great to see. I don't mind
them retconning a thing or two, but they are messing with the
characters in ways that just don't seem consistent and it's bugging me.
A lot. Ultramagnus surrenders to the deceptions? Not in this time
space continuum he doesn't!!!! If you *know* Transformers, you *know*
that would *never* happen! Jetfire is a loyal Decepticon serving
Megatron? No. Just No.
Yeah, this all sounds quite bad.
2020-07-31 17:02:35 UTC
I *wanted* to watch Stargate Universe, but Prime will let me add to the
watch list, but it's not actually available to stream. It took me a
while to figure that out.
Yeah. PRIME pulls crap like that a lot.

On the other hand, you dodged a bullet.
2020-07-31 23:54:33 UTC
I *wanted* to watch Stargate Universe, but Prime will let me add to the
watch list, but it's not actually available to stream. It took me a
while to figure that out.
There's a 'where can I watch Stargate' site that was updated July 2020 that
says Stargate SGU (the "SGU" stands for: SUCK GOATS YOU) is on The Hulu.

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2018/11/watch-stargate-sg1-atlantis-universe-
online/

Ba'al help us all, they cut the abominable web series STARGATE ORIGINS SGO
into a 'movie' called STARGATE ORIGINS CATHERINE SGOC (The SGOC stands for
SUCKS GOATS WORSE THAN SGU (the "SGU" stands for: SUCK GOATS YOU))
2020-08-01 02:25:42 UTC
I *wanted* to watch Stargate Universe, but Prime will let me add to the
watch list, but it's not actually available to stream. It took me a
while to figure that out.
There's a 'where can I watch Stargate' site that was updated July 2020 that
says Stargate SGU (the "SGU" stands for: SUCK GOATS YOU) is on The Hulu.
https://www.gateworld.net/news/2018/11/watch-stargate-sg1-atlantis-universe-
online/
Ba'al help us all, they cut the abominable web series STARGATE ORIGINS SGO
into a 'movie' called STARGATE ORIGINS CATHERINE SGOC (The SGOC stands for
SUCKS GOATS WORSE THAN SGU (the "SGU" stands for: SUCK GOATS YOU))
I think I have at least one free trial of Hulu in my back pocket, but
I'm in no hurry to use it. I think I'll end up using my free trial in a
few weeks. I just hope it hasn't already expired...checking...I don't
see an expiration date on the coupon, so hopefully I'm good.
anim8rfsk
2020-08-01 03:33:07 UTC
[...]
I figured better safe than sorry, so I contacted Hulu. I confirmed the
coupon will work for me and it expires on 8/14. That's a week sooner
than I would have liked, but beggars can't be choosers. I'll start my
free month of Hulu on 8/13.

OK, so Stargate Universe is back on the menu. :-)

I don't remember any of the episodes, but I'm positive I loved the show.
anim8rfsk
2020-08-01 04:40:33 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
Psst, I like it too.
<to be filled in at a later date>
anim8rfsk
2020-08-01 05:02:50 UTC
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
So you're the two!
Jim G.
2020-08-01 23:27:25 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
I figured better safe than sorry, so I contacted Hulu. I confirmed the
coupon will work for me and it expires on 8/14. That's a week sooner
than I would have liked, but beggars can't be choosers. I'll start my
free month of Hulu on 8/13.
OK, so Stargate Universe is back on the menu. :-)
I don't remember any of the episodes, but I'm positive I loved the show.
So you're the one!
Psst, I like it too.
So you're the two!
Me, three -- once the guy who went on to play Rumple on ONCE UPON A TIME
dialed the jerkwad schtick back about ten notches. Sadly, it took a
handful of episodes for that to happen, IIRC, and the idiots behind the
show dug themselves a huge hole that they could never climb out of.
Still, I really enjoyed the run of this one.
"I'm really glad we're at this place in our relationship where we can
dig up graves together without having to talk." -- Major Lillywhite, iZOMBIE
Dimensional Traveler
2020-08-02 01:05:50 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Fri, 31 Jul 2020 20:33:07 -0700 Arthur
I figured better safe than sorry, so I contacted Hulu. I confirmed the
coupon will work for me and it expires on 8/14. That's a week sooner
than I would have liked, but beggars can't be choosers. I'll start my
free month of Hulu on 8/13.
OK, so Stargate Universe is back on the menu. :-)
I don't remember any of the episodes, but I'm positive I loved the show.
So you're the one!
Psst, I like it too.
So you're the two!
Me, three -- once the guy who went on to play Rumple on ONCE UPON A TIME
dialed the jerkwad schtick back about ten notches. Sadly, it took a
handful of episodes for that to happen, IIRC, and the idiots behind the
show dug themselves a huge hole that they could never climb out of.
Still, I really enjoyed the run of this one.
We're gonna give Anim a stroke. :)
<to be filled in at a later date>
suzeeq
I thought it was ok. Tedious, but not too awful.
Jim G.
2020-08-30 02:52:44 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Psst, I like it too.
So you're the two!
Me, three -- once the guy who went on to play Rumple on ONCE UPON A TIME
dialed the jerkwad schtick back about ten notches. Sadly, it took a
handful of episodes for that to happen, IIRC, and the idiots behind the
show dug themselves a huge hole that they could never climb out of.
Still, I really enjoyed the run of this one.
We're gonna give Anim a stroke. :)
Or at least his computer, from the sounds of it.
anim8rfsk
2020-08-02 02:15:02 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
I hated not only every single frame of it, but the individual sprocket holes
that delivered those frames.
Do they have those on video?
anim8rfsk
2020-08-02 16:03:49 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
I could have said 'scan lines' but it just doesn't have the same feel.
2020-08-02 16:19:32 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
Don't bring reality into it. He'll just transfer it to film so he has
the excuse to hate it more. :D
<to be filled in at a later date>
Arthur Lipscomb
2020-08-02 16:34:41 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by anim8rfsk
Fri, 31 Jul 2020 21:40:33 -0700 Dimensional
LOL!!!
anim8rfsk
2020-08-02 23:08:55 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
I was in a deposition where the evil lawyer held up a VHS tape and challenged
me to deny that he could just pull the tape out of the cartridge and hold it
up to the light and we could look at the frames. I laughed out loud at him.
He didn't like that.

Happy ending: we got him fired.
LOL!!
anim8rfsk
2020-08-03 01:38:48 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
You should have asked him to prove it. :D
<to be filled in at a later date>
anim8rfsk
2020-08-03 03:35:52 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
I did. I told him to go ahead and try. I think my laughing dissuaded him.
2020-08-03 04:56:36 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
I have better self control than you. I would have just rested my chin
on one hand and waved the other at him as I said, "Please, show me."
<to be filled in at a later date>
anim8rfsk
2020-08-03 05:21:08 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
If I'd had a clew anything that stupid was coming, maybe.

It was like something Clod would say. You blurt out laughing first before the
sadness sets in.
2020-08-03 03:16:35 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
I was rooting for Rush to arrange for Young's death. Some of the time,
Rush was evil enough to be entertaining. Young was never entertaining.
I don't think it was the actor's fault, as he doesn't piss me off on
other shows.
anim8rfsk
2020-08-03 03:44:54 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
Yeah, there were people I liked on other shows. Hell, Richard Dean Anderson
was awful on SGU.
2020-07-31 21:13:09 UTC
Recorded for later: Nothing! ("Blindspot" is over...  :(  )
And only 10 years too late.
<to be filled in at a later date>
suzeeq
2020-07-31 21:19:23 UTC
It only ran 5 years....
Dimensional Traveler
<to be filled in at a later date>
suzeeq
So what happened in the other 5 years?
Dimensional Traveler
2020-08-01 15:48:02 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Recorded for later: Nothing! ("Blindspot" is over...  :(  )
And only 10 years too late.
It only ran 5 years....
EXACTLY!!!!
So what happened in the other 5 years?
Someone thought up the idea for the show.
<to be filled in at a later date>
anim8rfsk
2020-07-31 23:46:59 UTC
Bad Kids of Crestview Academy (Prime) - Wow: Ben Browder of "Farscape"
actually directs this 2017 flick!! (He also appears in it as "the
janitor".)
How did you watch this? They want me to pay to see it.
Post by Ian J. Ball
[...]
I guess you're just cursed.

EDIT
Wow. There are two different listings for this on PRIME - one place you have
to pay for it, and the other you don't.
That's messed up right there.
2020-08-01 01:40:59 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
[...]
Yes, I've seen this before, esp. when you "search" in the Amazon Prime
app sometimes.

But both "Bad Kids Go to Hell" and "Bad Kids of Crestview Academy" are
available via Prime (currently).

Now that I've seen the former, I'll have some comments in the next
WDYW? thread about how the two films fit together (or don't!!).
2020-08-01 16:39:26 UTC
snip
Post by Ian J. Ball
Bad Kids of Crestview Academy (Prime) - Wow: Ben Browder of "Farscape"
actually directs this 2017 flick!! (He also appears in it as "the
janitor".)
  And I didn't realize until the end that this was actually a sequel to
the 2012 flick "Bad Kids Go To Hell"
I have now watched both movies. :-)

Post by Ian J. Ball
that one) - I'm pretty sure I've seen "Bad Kids Go To Hell", but I don't
remember what happens, and after watching this sequel, I'm now going to
need to go back and watch it again soon!
  Anyway, this stars Sammi Hanratty as a (tiny!) "scholarship kid" and
student delinquent at the aforementioned Crestview Academy, who
conspires to get herself into weekend detention with four other of the
"rich kids" who may know something about her sister's suspicious
"suicide" death at a party the week before.
  The good thing about this flick is that, even with the "flashforward"
at the beginning,
I didn't "get" that it was a flashforward. I thought it was retcon of
the end of the first movie.

Post by Ian J. Ball
much always a good thing for film with me, these days. And I liked the
ending.
Me too. But I have *no* idea what was going on with the bugs!
Post by Ian J. Ball
  I'm not sure I liked Browder's choice to interspese animated bits of
the "graphic novel" that this film is based on in with the "live-action"
parts, but overall I liked this film, and its tone.
Agreed. At times the animated bits felt almost like a cheat due to
budget constraints, but then they'd go live action and it seemed like it
probably wasn't a budget issue.