BBC: China threatens Canada. We could allow Hong Kong asylum seekers into Canada
2020-10-16 22:49:46 UTC
Canada lets in the world's trash on a regular basis so I've no issue with letting in Hong Kong people, most of whom are educated and have money and jobs. FAR better than 5th century religious fanatic Muslims and stone-age people's from Africa or the Island countries. But the C----- have got nerve threatening us. We let in 1 MILLION of them in the last 15 years or so and we KNOW China is attempting to export their populations to lessen strains on China AND gain political influence in other countries.

BBC:
Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he will not tolerate "coercive" diplomacy from China.

His remarks on Friday come a day after the Chinese ambassador warned that granting asylum to Hong Kong protesters could put Canadians in danger.

The envoy's comments were seen by many as a not-so veiled threat.

Relations between the two nations have been frosty since 2018, when two Canadians were detained in China over spying allegations.

This week, Beijing's envoy to Canada, Cong Peiwu explicitly told Canada not to accept asylum seekers from Hong Kong, calling them "violent criminals" in a video news conference.

"If the Canadian side really cares about stability and prosperity in Hong Kong, and really cares about the good health and safety of those 300,000 Canadian passport holders in Hong Kong and the large number of Canadian companies operating in Hong Kong … you should support those efforts to fight violent crimes," Mr Cong said.

When asked if his statement was a threat, Mr Cong said: "That is your interpretation."

Some leading Hong Kong protesters have fled for the West in recent months after the mainland authorities in Beijing passed a security law that reduces the city's autonomy and makes it easier to punish pro-democracy protesters.

Hong Kong, a former British colony, is part of China but enjoys unique freedoms as part of the conditions of its handover from the UK. Beijing says the new law will return stability to the city, but many Hong Kongers say it effectively curtails their right to protest and freedom of speech.

China's new law: Why is Hong Kong worried?

Mr Cong also threatened vague measures against Canada if the government were to pass a resolution condemning Beijing's treatment of Uighurs, a Muslim minority group who live largely in the Xinjiang region of northwest China.

The US sanctioned Chinese politicians over the summer. China is accused of mass detentions, religious persecution and forced sterilisation of Uighurs and others Muslims living in its far west.

In response, Mr Trudeau said he would not try and antagonise Beijing, but would not back down from protecting Canadian interests and standing up for human rights around the world.

"We don't look to escalate but we will continue to make sure Canadians know we stand for our rights and our values," he said.

Mr Trudeau's government has faced mounting pressure to repair relations with Beijing, nearly two years after the arrest of Michael Kovrig, a former diplomat, and Michael Spavor, a businessman.

Meng Wanzhou: The PowerPoint that sparked an international row

Both have been charged with spying, but many believe the arrests were made in retaliation for the detention of Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou in Vancouver, at the request of the US.

She is currently fighting her extradition to the US, where she faces fraud charges, in court.
Shadow
2020-10-17 19:19:15 UTC
Canada lets in the world's trash on a regular basis so I've no issue with letting in Hong Kong people, most of whom are educated and have money.
Easy targets, heh?
Maybe you should invite some of the Saudi Arabian Royals too.
LOL
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
RichA
2020-10-17 21:18:58 UTC
Not likely. If it weren't for oil, those losers would still be herding goats for a living. If all of Arabia were turned into "green glass" I wouldn't care.
Shadow
2020-10-17 21:55:20 UTC
Post by Shadow
Canada lets in the world's trash on a regular basis so I've no issue with letting in Hong Kong people, most of whom are educated and have money.
Easy targets, heh?
Maybe you should invite some of the Saudi Arabian Royals too.
Not likely. If it weren't for oil, those losers would still be herding goats for a living. If all of Arabia were turned into "green glass" I wouldn't care.
I don't think you care for anyone but yourself, and your
welfare check.
[]'s
The Horny Goat
2020-10-18 15:06:11 UTC
Post by Shadow
Canada lets in the world's trash on a regular basis so I've no issue with letting in Hong Kong people, most of whom are educated and have money.
Easy targets, heh?
Maybe you should invite some of the Saudi Arabian Royals too.
LOL
[]'s
I see no reason Canada should take even more Hong Kongers - there are
ALREADY 300k + Hong Kongers with the legal right to enter Canada at
any time. (Mostly those who have come to Canada, stayed the minimum
time to get their green card and voluntarily gone back) That's close
to 1% of the total Canadian population nearly all of which would
re-locate to Toronto and Vancouver rather than more evenly across the
country. (And who with their mainland Chinese compatriots have
distorted the real estate market in both places)