Travis McMichael, father Greg, neighbor Roddie Bryan, convicted
2021-11-25 00:33:42 UTC
The McMichaels and Bryan were convicted on 23 charges related to the
murder of Ahmaud Arbery.

I wonder if the members of the news media who declared the jury system
broken after Rittenhouse's acquittal are still of that opinion.
Rhino
2021-11-25 01:57:50 UTC
The McMichaels and Bryan were convicted on 23 charges related to the
murder of Ahmaud Arbery.
I wonder if the members of the news media who declared the jury system
broken after Rittenhouse's acquittal are still of that opinion.
I very much doubt it. They only declare the system broken when it fails
to deliver the verdict they want. Otherwise, it is working perfectly.
2021-11-25 03:43:14 UTC
On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 20:57:50 -0500, Rhino
The McMichaels and Bryan were convicted on 23 charges related to the
murder of Ahmaud Arbery.
I wonder if the members of the news media who declared the jury system
broken after Rittenhouse's acquittal are still of that opinion.
I very much doubt it. They only declare the system broken when it fails
to deliver the verdict they want. Otherwise, it is working perfectly.
As I saw elsewhere the jury system worked as expected. The system
didn't exactly set a shining example when given the process it took
just to get to charges being raised against the trio. It seems likely
that the case would never moved forward without the release of that
video of the trio going after Arbery.
Adam H. Kerman
Isn't this the video Bryan took? Didn't the police have it? I'm confused.
shawn
2021-11-25 04:40:29 UTC
On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 03:49:28 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
The McMichaels and Bryan were convicted on 23 charges related to the
murder of Ahmaud Arbery.
I wonder if the members of the news media who declared the jury system
broken after Rittenhouse's acquittal are still of that opinion.
I very much doubt it. They only declare the system broken when it fails
to deliver the verdict they want. Otherwise, it is working perfectly.
As I saw elsewhere the jury system worked as expected. The system
didn't exactly set a shining example when given the process it took
just to get to charges being raised against the trio. It seems likely
that the case would never moved forward without the release of that
video of the trio going after Arbery.
Isn't this the video Bryan took? Didn't the police have it? I'm confused.
I don't know if the police had it. According to what I read he gave it
to his attorney who then released it to the public. This was in May
and that's when things started moving quickly. Before that nothing
seemed to be happening.
Adam H. Kerman
2021-11-25 04:53:59 UTC
[...]
Waitaminit

The attorney released evidence created by his own client implicating
him in a murder?
Marc Catone
My understanding is that the lawyer no longer represented him when the video was handed over to the police.
Adam H. Kerman
2021-11-25 05:14:57 UTC
Post by Marc Catone
[...]
That doesn't make any sense either. Even if he's no longer the attorney,
he is barred by legal ethics from acting against his former client in
that manner.
Marc Catone
2021-11-26 03:59:16 UTC
Life is funny...sometimes people do the right thing.
Adam H. Kerman
2021-11-26 04:08:18 UTC
Post by Marc Catone
Post by Adam H. Kerman
That doesn't make any sense either. Even if he's no longer the attorney,
he is barred by legal ethics from acting against his former client in
that manner.
Life is funny...sometimes people do the right thing.
By definition, ethical violations are the wrong thing. If a lawyer
violates certain ethics, it's a criminal act, specifically the one about
betraying a client's confidence.

You think the Sixth Amendment civil right to counsel is a bad thing?
shawn
2021-11-25 05:56:48 UTC
On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 04:53:59 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
[...]
Yeah, it's not something you hear of every day but then a lot of
things that happened in this case were quite unusual. Here's an
article pointing out the timeline of events in the case:

https://www.wjcl.com/article/ahmaud-arbery-timeline-murder-trial-1/38152482

May 5, 2020: A Brunswick radio station uploads footage of Arbery's
shooting to its website, it quickly goes viral and puts a national
spotlight on the case.

It is later revealed that attorney Alan Tucker released the footage
after it was given to him by Bryan, who shot the video.

========
So one of the men involved in the killing recorded the entire thing
and then gave the video over to the attorney who then later released
it to the local media. It seems like without that happening the case
would have died without anyone being charged.
Marc Catone
2021-11-25 04:57:05 UTC
The McMichaels and Bryan were convicted on 23 charges related to the
murder of Ahmaud Arbery.
I wonder if the members of the news media who declared the jury system
broken after Rittenhouse's acquittal are still of that opinion.
Vigilantism reared its ugly head in both.

It was amazing that a predominantly white jury in the Deep South came up with that decision.
Adam H. Kerman
2021-11-25 05:22:32 UTC
Post by Marc Catone
Post by Adam H. Kerman
The McMichaels and Bryan were convicted on 23 charges related to the
murder of Ahmaud Arbery.
I wonder if the members of the news media who declared the jury system
broken after Rittenhouse's acquittal are still of that opinion.
Vigilantism reared its ugly head in both.
That's not what vigilantism means. Rittenhouse wasn't charged with
shooting looters. Travis McMichael made shit up that Arbery was
suspected of a fictitious crime.
Post by Marc Catone
It was amazing that a predominantly white jury in the Deep South came up with that decision.
Why? Juries take their oaths seriously. The judge ruled that the law
of citizens arrest the three defendants were relying on was irrelevant
to killing a man innocent of a (fictitious) crime.

What did the Kenosha County jury get wrong?
shawn
2021-11-25 05:59:53 UTC
On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 05:22:32 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Marc Catone
Post by Adam H. Kerman
The McMichaels and Bryan were convicted on 23 charges related to the
murder of Ahmaud Arbery.
I wonder if the members of the news media who declared the jury system
broken after Rittenhouse's acquittal are still of that opinion.
Vigilantism reared its ugly head in both.
That's not what vigilantism means. Rittenhouse wasn't charged with
shooting looters. Travis McMichael made shit up that Arbery was
suspected of a fictitious crime.
My understanding is that there actually was a crime where some
materials from a construction site had been taken some time before.
That and the video of Arbery in the construction site (I'm not clear
if this is the one where the theft had occurred or not) led to the
trio assuming that he must be guilty of the theft.
Adam H. Kerman
2021-11-25 07:33:38 UTC
Post by Marc Catone
Post by Adam H. Kerman
The McMichaels and Bryan were convicted on 23 charges related to the
murder of Ahmaud Arbery.
I wonder if the members of the news media who declared the jury system
broken after Rittenhouse's acquittal are still of that opinion.
Vigilantism reared its ugly head in both.
That's not what vigilantism means. Rittenhouse wasn't charged with
shooting looters. Travis McMichael made shit up that Arbery was
suspected of a fictitious crime.
My understanding is that there actually was a crime where some
materials from a construction site had been taken some time before.
That and the video of Arbery in the construction site (I'm not clear
if this is the one where the theft had occurred or not) led to the
trio assuming that he must be guilty of the theft.
I realize that Arbery had jogged through the construction site. It's
just that he was jogging and in no position to steal anything. That's
why McMichael was no vigilante.
shawn
2021-11-25 09:54:51 UTC
On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 07:33:38 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
Post by Marc Catone
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
Agreed. They made the leap from someone stole from a construction site
some time recently AND they had a video of Arbery walking through the
construction site but taking nothing TO assuming that Arbery must be
guilty of the theft. Then decided to take matters into their own hands
when they saw him jogging through the area some time later.

So they had no evidence that Arbery was guilty of anything but natural
curiosity when a new home was being built in the area. Oh, and being
black as I don't think the results would have been the same if he had
been a white guy.
Marc Catone
2021-11-26 03:58:05 UTC
What did the Kenosha County jury get wrong?
That it was self-defense.
Adam H. Kerman
2021-11-26 04:03:10 UTC
Post by Marc Catone
Post by Adam H. Kerman
What did the Kenosha County jury get wrong?
That it was self-defense.
Are you going to support your position, considering that witnesses for
the prosecution and video evidence supported the defense's self defense
case?
Ed Stasiak
2021-11-25 16:14:31 UTC
The McMichaels and Bryan were convicted on 23 charges related to the
murder of Ahmaud Arbery.
I wonder if the members of the news media who declared the jury system
broken after Rittenhouse's acquittal are still of that opinion.
Indeed, and I believe it only took the jury eight hours or so to reach the verdict.

The court system isn't prefect but it usually gets it right, both in this case and
the Rittenhouse trial.