Saying some states are "key" to victory," media is opting for manipulation, not reporting
2020-10-15 07:24:30 UTC
I keep hearing this. "This state/city predicted wins in last several elections." "This state is KEY to election." Etc. So the message is (for those in the West) that once some Eastern state chooses and you can SEE it on TV/internet, there is no more reason for you to vote.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08v6fjl
Adam H. Kerman
2020-10-16 02:52:24 UTC
I keep hearing this. "This state/city predicted wins in last several
elections." "This state is KEY to election." Etc. So the message is
(for those in the West) that once some Eastern state chooses and you can
SEE it on TV/internet, there is no more reason for you to vote.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08v6fjl
The swing states are Pennsylvania, Florida, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin,
and maybe North Carolina. Everything else is predictable.

The campaigns believe the very same thing as you can see from where they
have been campaigning. Sorry you don't like it, Rich, but that's what
the combination of Electoral College with winner-take-all of the entire
state delegation leaves us with.
The Horny Goat
2020-10-16 15:29:20 UTC
On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 02:52:24 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
I keep hearing this. "This state/city predicted wins in last several
elections." "This state is KEY to election." Etc. So the message is
(for those in the West) that once some Eastern state chooses and you can
SEE it on TV/internet, there is no more reason for you to vote.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08v6fjl
The swing states are Pennsylvania, Florida, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin,
and maybe North Carolina. Everything else is predictable.
The campaigns believe the very same thing as you can see from where they
have been campaigning. Sorry you don't like it, Rich, but that's what
the combination of Electoral College with winner-take-all of the entire
state delegation leaves us with.
I have always thought it iniquitous that election results were being
announced in the east while polls were still open in the west.

One of the last acts of Pierre Trudeau in Canada was to stagger
election voting times across Canada so that while Canada is 5 1/2 time
zones wide (really only 4 1/2 since Yukon has a population of roughly
100k) polling times are staggered so voting times are no more than 1
hr different between east and west coast. This prevents anomalies like
the 1980 election where the networks were calling a winner while the
polls remained open in the west. The conventional wisdom is that it
also saved the personal seat of Liberal leader John Turner in 1984 as
the 1984 election was a massive rout for the Liberals as when the bad
news was heavily coming in in Ontario Liberal party workers in Toronto
phoned their counterparts in Vancouver who called their supporters
basically saying "we're getting killed in Ontario, we need all of you
out for John to at least get him a seat in Ottawa".

While I loathe most of what Pierre Trudeau stood for, this staggering
of voting times was the best of all government initiatives -
strengthening national unity while requiring little if anything in
taxes or government spending of any sort.

[The essential geographical difference between Canada and the US is
that most of Canada is one province wide from coast to coast - there
are not states north of each other as is the norm in the continental
US. That list of US "swing states" is ALL Mid-west with the exception
of FL / NC]]
Adam H. Kerman
2020-10-16 15:37:02 UTC
I keep hearing this. "This state/city predicted wins in last several
elections." "This state is KEY to election." Etc. So the message is
(for those in the West) that once some Eastern state chooses and you can
SEE it on TV/internet, there is no more reason for you to vote.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08v6fjl
The swing states are Pennsylvania, Florida, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin,
and maybe North Carolina. Everything else is predictable.
The campaigns believe the very same thing as you can see from where they
have been campaigning. Sorry you don't like it, Rich, but that's what
the combination of Electoral College with winner-take-all of the entire
state delegation leaves us with.
I have always thought it iniquitous that election results were being
announced in the east while polls were still open in the west.
Thanks to mail in voting and so many votes to count a week or longer
after November 3, that won't be an issue this year.
Post by The Horny Goat
One of the last acts of Pierre Trudeau in Canada . . .
That's very interesting. Thanks.
Post by The Horny Goat
[The essential geographical difference between Canada and the US is
that most of Canada is one province wide from coast to coast - there
are not states north of each other as is the norm in the continental
US. That list of US "swing states" is ALL Mid-west with the exception
of FL / NC]]
Pennsylvania is an eastern state. Michigan and Ohio are midwest but in
the Eastern time zone.
The Horny Goat
2020-10-17 23:41:05 UTC
On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 15:37:02 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
[The essential geographical difference between Canada and the US is
that most of Canada is one province wide from coast to coast - there
are not states north of each other as is the norm in the continental
US. That list of US "swing states" is ALL Mid-west with the exception
of FL / NC]]
Pennsylvania is an eastern state. Michigan and Ohio are midwest but in
the Eastern time zone.
Oops - you are of course right.

Didn't know about the MI / OH time zones but definitely know where
Pennsylvania is. (Kind of inevitable when you belong to a forum that
routinely discusses US Civil War battles!) Guess I wasn't reading
carefully enough. I'm pretty sure I know which of these states border
NY and NJ and which not :)
Adam H. Kerman
2020-10-17 23:54:47 UTC
[The essential geographical difference between Canada and the US is
that most of Canada is one province wide from coast to coast - there
are not states north of each other as is the norm in the continental
US. That list of US "swing states" is ALL Mid-west with the exception
of FL / NC]]
Pennsylvania is an eastern state. Michigan and Ohio are midwest but in
the Eastern time zone.
Oops - you are of course right.
Didn't know about the MI / OH time zones but definitely know where
Pennsylvania is.
Per time zone geography, Michigan should have been on Central Time, but
Detroit felt it did more business with New York and wanted to be on
Eastern time; the whole state followed.