CNN: Corvette turns into wop-mobile
2019-04-13 21:29:38 UTC
There are plenty of rear-engined sports cars already.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/12/success/gm-midengined-corvette/index.html

The thing that set the Vette apart from the Eurotrash was having a front engine and a much lower price to performance ratio.
Your Name
2019-04-14 05:32:14 UTC
There are plenty of rear-engined sports cars already.
Then it's a good thing this new one is *mid*-engined. :-p
Post by RichA
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/12/success/gm-midengined-corvette/index.html
The thing that set the Vette apart from the Eurotrash was having a
front engine and a much lower price to performance ratio.
Hey, it's American "sportscar" ... it won't even be able to go around a
corner properly ... just ask Jeremy Clarkson. ;-)

Plus it's no doubt only available in automatic, which means it's for
lazy posers. Real drivers use manual / "stick shift" gearboxes.

You want a real, cheap, reliable sportscar (that can actually go around
corner), then try the many Japanese models. The Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ
is loved by almost every car revieer on the planet and sells like
hotcakes, depsite many people stupidly whining about it being
underpowered (they simply don't understand the point of that car)
...and it still comes in a manual / "stick shift" version ...
unfortunately it is coming up for a refresh and the rumour is that it
will get an ugly nose similar to the new Toyota Supra.
RichA
Heh heh! Current Vette out-runs and out-handles a lot of more expensive Eurocars.
Your Name
2019-04-14 20:51:16 UTC
Post by RichA
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/12/success/gm-midengined-corvette/index.html
The thing that set the Vette apart from the Eurotrash was having a
front engine and a much lower price to performance ratio.
Hey, it's American "sportscar" ... it won't even be able to go around a
corner properly ... just ask Jeremy Clarkson. ;-)
Heh heh! Current Vette out-runs and out-handles a lot of more
expensive Eurocars.
Maybe, but only in a straight line ... once you get to a corner in an
American "sportscar", you're screwed. ;-)
Rhino
2019-04-14 21:45:43 UTC
Post by RichA
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/12/success/gm-midengined-corvette/index.html
The thing that set the Vette apart from the Eurotrash was having a
front engine and a much lower price to performance ratio.
Hey, it's American "sportscar" ... it won't even be able to go around a
corner properly ... just ask Jeremy Clarkson.  ;-)
Heh heh!  Current Vette out-runs and out-handles a lot of more
expensive Eurocars.
Maybe, but only in a straight line ... once you get to a corner in an
American "sportscar", you're screwed.   ;-)
I've only ever owned one "sportscar", a 1988 Mustang. It was the
absolutely worst car I've ever owned, hands down. I can well remember
situations where I was driving straight and the car tried its best to
fish-tail! For instance, one time, I was driving straight and downhill
on dry pavement along the Don Valley Parkway in Toronto when I felt the
rear end "get loose" and try to come around. I managed to wrestle it
straight again but I wasn't 100% sure I would succeed for a moment
there. I'd had a similar experience when I hit a patch of black ice a
few months earlier but that time I was so taken by surprise that the car
bounced off the guardrail and suffered substantial damage. On another
occasion, I was driving through a parking garage at parking garage
speeds and made a left turn; again, the rear end "got loose" and swung
out on me as if I was stunt-driving.

Its fundamental problem was that all the weight was at the front of the
car and it messed up the handling horribly. *Maybe* a couple of hundred
pounds of salt or sand in the trunk would have solved the problem. Years
later, long after I'd moved on to a much better car, I happened to be
talking to a mechanic who specialized in Mustangs and told him of my
negative experience with my Mustang; he speculated that there may have
been a mechanical issue causing trouble on the specific car. I don't
remember what he thought might have been happening but it must have been
subtle because none of the mechanics who had seen the car saw anything
wrong with it.
Your Name
2019-04-15 01:08:07 UTC
Post by RichA
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/12/success/gm-midengined-corvette/index.html
The thing that set the Vette apart from the Eurotrash was having a
front engine and a much lower price to performance ratio.
Hey, it's American "sportscar" ... it won't even be able to go around a
corner properly ... just ask Jeremy Clarkson.  ;-)
Heh heh!  Current Vette out-runs and out-handles a lot of more
expensive Eurocars.
Maybe, but only in a straight line ... once you get to a corner in an
American "sportscar", you're screwed.   ;-)
I've only ever owned one "sportscar", a 1988 Mustang.
Mustang isn't a "sportscar" ... it's a "muscle car".

A true sportscar is aerodynamic and shaped like an arrowhead (at least
they were beofre the Politically Corerct idiocy came along and
introduced piles of regulatory nonsense like 'pedestrian protection').
The Mustang on the other hand is shaped like and has all the
aerodynamics of a house brick ... and drives like one too.
Post by Rhino
[...]
If it was a modern Mustang, then it's more likely to be a software
glitch interferring. Computers shouldn't ever be used to control cars
(let alone planes).

Front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, manual ... that's the only way to do a
proper "sportscar". That's why the the likes of the Nissan 200sx /
240sx / 180sx, the Toyota 86, the Subaru BRZ, etc. and even the little
"roadsters" like the Mazda MX5 / Miata, the MG range, and the Honda
S2000 are all so popular.

"Supercars" usually go for mid-engine to get an even weight
distribution, but it ruins the feel, as well as usually any remote hope
of practicality.
Dimensional Traveler
2019-04-15 04:41:30 UTC
Post by Your Name
Post by Rhino
Post by Your Name
Post by RichA
Post by Rhino
[...]
If you are looking for "practicality" in a Supercar there is something
wrong with your brain.
instinct are running screaming.
Ed Stasiak
2019-04-15 16:52:39 UTC
Your Name
A true sportscar is aerodynamic and shaped like an arrowhead
The defining element of a “sports car” is having only two seats.

2019-04-15 17:02:47 UTC
Your Name
A true sportscar is aerodynamic and shaped like an arrowhead
The defining element of a “sports car” is having only two seats.
https://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2018/04/2019-Chevrolet-Corvette-ZR1-81.jpg
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
Your Name
2019-04-15 20:18:57 UTC
Your Name
A true sportscar is aerodynamic and shaped like an arrowhead
The defining element of a "sports car" is having only two seats.
https://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2018/04/2019-Chevrolet-Corvette-ZR1-81.jpg
https://s.yimg.com/aah/yhst-83547458988818/tandem-bicycle-bunnies-garden-11.jpg
The Renault Twizy has two seats:
2019-04-15 20:58:33 UTC
Post by Your Name
Post by moviePig
Your Name
A true sportscar is aerodynamic and shaped like an arrowhead
The defining element of a "sports car" is having only two seats.
https://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2018/04/2019-Chevrolet-Corvette-ZR1-81.jpg
https://s.yimg.com/aah/yhst-83547458988818/tandem-bicycle-bunnies-garden-11.jpg
<http://www.greenitalytours.com/resources/WP_20160603_15_48_44_Pro.jpg>
Yeah, but about that rear seat, the car's name starts with "NOLEG"...
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
Your Name
2019-04-15 20:14:43 UTC
Your Name
A true sportscar is aerodynamic and shaped like an arrowhead
The defining element of a “sports car” is having only two seats.
https://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2018/04/2019-Chevrolet-Corvette-ZR1-81.jpg
Not quite true. There are "2+2" sportscars which do have rear seats,
but usually at best they're only any good for kids to sit in.
shawn
2019-04-15 20:43:25 UTC
Post by Your Name
Your Name
A true sportscar is aerodynamic and shaped like an arrowhead
The defining element of a “sports car� is having only two seats.
https://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2018/04/2019-Chevrolet-Corvette-ZR1-81.jpg
Not quite true. There are "2+2" sportscars which do have rear seats,
but usually at best they're only any good for kids to sit in.
McLaren F1 has 3 seats and certainly seems to meet the sports car
definition. ;)

Your Name
2019-04-15 20:50:03 UTC
Post by Your Name
Your Name
A true sportscar is aerodynamic and shaped like an arrowhead
The defining element of a “sports car� is having only two seats.
https://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2018/04/2019-Chevrolet-Corvette-ZR1-81.jpg
Not quite true. There are "2+2" sportscars which do have rear seats,
but usually at best they're only any good for kids to sit in.
McLaren F1 has 3 seats and certainly seems to meet the sports car
definition. ;)
http://youtu.be/EkYVXIWAPnc
The McLaren is really a "supercar" or "hypercar", which are two of the
many sub-categories of an over-arching term "sportscar".
shawn
2019-04-15 21:16:01 UTC
Post by Your Name
Post by shawn
Post by Your Name
Your Name
A true sportscar is aerodynamic and shaped like an arrowhead
The defining element of a “sports car� is having only two seats.
https://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2018/04/2019-Chevrolet-Corvette-ZR1-81.jpg
Not quite true. There are "2+2" sportscars which do have rear seats,
but usually at best they're only any good for kids to sit in.
McLaren F1 has 3 seats and certainly seems to meet the sports car
definition. ;)
http://youtu.be/EkYVXIWAPnc
The McLaren is really a "supercar" or "hypercar", which are two of the
many sub-categories of an over-arching term "sportscar".
Yes, it's a super car but it certainly is within the standard for a
sport scar.

I'll add this article in to the discussion for another perspective on
just what is and is not a sports car.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28225/sports-car-definition/
Ed Stasiak
2019-04-16 01:14:11 UTC
I'll add this article in to the discussion for another perspective on
just what is and is not a sports car.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28225/sports-car-definition/
I generally agree with the author, though a Mustang in its standard performance
configuration is a “pony car” and becomes a “muscle car” with a proper engine.
Your Name
2019-04-16 06:05:42 UTC
Post by Your Name
Post by shawn
Post by Your Name
Your Name
A true sportscar is aerodynamic and shaped like an arrowhead
The defining element of a “sports car� is having only two seats.
https://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2018/04/2019-Chevrolet-Corvette-ZR1-81.jpg
Not quite true. There are "2+2" sportscars which do have rear seats,
but usually at best they're only any good for kids to sit in.
McLaren F1 has 3 seats and certainly seems to meet the sports car
definition. ;)
http://youtu.be/EkYVXIWAPnc
The McLaren is really a "supercar" or "hypercar", which are two of the
many sub-categories of an over-arching term "sportscar".
Yes, it's a super car but it certainly is within the standard for a
sport scar.
<snip>

That's why I said: "supercar" and "hypercar" are two fo the many
sub-categories of "sportscar".

Some of the other sub-categories include "roadster", "muscle car",
"racing car", "rally car", etc.

FPP
2019-04-14 07:41:41 UTC
Post by RichA
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/12/success/gm-midengined-corvette/index.html
The thing that set the Vette apart from the Eurotrash was having a
front engine and a much lower price to performance ratio.
Hey, it's American "sportscar" ... it won't even be able to go around a
corner properly ... just ask Jeremy Clarkson. ;-)
Plus it's no doubt only available in automatic, which means it's for
lazy posers. Real drivers use manual / "stick shift" gearboxes.
Real drivers want to get from point A to point B. Overgrown kids
pretending to be race car drivers want a stick.

And, yeah, they're way more fun to drive... but that thrill went away
when my chin whiskers filled in.
--
Trump: "I'm rich." (* but you can't see my taxes.)
"I'm smart." (* but you can't see my grades.)
"I'm totally exonerated." (* but you can't see the report.)
Your Name
2019-04-14 20:58:47 UTC
Post by RichA
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/12/success/gm-midengined-corvette/index.html
The thing that set the Vette apart from the Eurotrash was having a
front engine and a much lower price to performance ratio.
Hey, it's American "sportscar" ... it won't even be able to go around a
corner properly ... just ask Jeremy Clarkson. ;-)
Plus it's no doubt only available in automatic, which means it's for
lazy posers. Real drivers use manual / "stick shift" gearboxes.
Real drivers want to get from point A to point B. Overgrown kids
pretending to be race car drivers want a stick.
And, yeah, they're way more fun to drive... but that thrill went away
when my chin whiskers filled in.
Real drivers like to drive, hence the term.

Those who simply want to get from A to B are travellers or commuters,
not drivers (in the sense above).

Then there's the boyracer morons, who simply want to do donuts and wheelspins.

The weekend motoring section of the New Zealand Herald newspaper has an
interview with some local "celebrity" or management-type, and usually
one of the questions is whether they prefer manual or automatics ...
everyone who says they are a "driver" prefers the manual, even though
many actually drive an automatic simply because they're too lazy to
change gears in city stop-start-crawl traffic. The interview has also
recently started asking about the thoughts on self-driving cars, and
again all the "drivers" do not want a self-driving car.