Passengers Do Nothing While Vagrant Rapes a Woman on Philly Train
2021-10-19 20:40:16 UTC
People are routinely confronted by hysterical screaming maniacs in Target an
called "murderers" for not wearing masks but rape a woman on the train and n
one says a thing.

--------------------------------

https://nypost.com/2021/10/19/passengers-held-up-phones-during-philadelphia-septa-rape/

The passengers who did nothing while a homeless man raped a woman on
commuter train outside Philadelphia may have also recorded the vile attack o
their cellphones instead of calling for help, authorities said.

Surveillance footage showed Fiston Ngoy, 35, who has been charged with rape i
Wednesday's sickening attack aboard a Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportatio
Authority train, spent nearly 45 minutes harassing the woman and touched he
breast at one point, according to an arrest affidavit obtained by th
Philadelphia Inquirer.

Police said the rape lasted about six minutes as other passengers looked o
while holding their cellphones, but didn't use the devices to call 911
SEPTA's police chief said Monday.

"We want everyone to be angry, disgusted, and to join us in being resolute i
keeping our system safe," Chief Thomas Nestel III told reporters. "We need th
public to notify us when they see something that seems to be unusual."

The woman had tried to stop Ngoy prior to the sexual assault, a SEPT
spokesman told the New York Times. "Then, unfortunately, he proceeded to ri
her clothes off," SEPTA spokesman Andrew Busch said Sunday.

It's unclear how many other passengers were in the car of the westbound trai
on the Market-Frankford Line, but Upper Darby police Superintendent Timoth
Bernhardt said the attack might have been prevented if someone had gotte
involved.

"I'm appalled by those who did nothing to help this woman," Bernhardt told th
Times. "Anybody that was on that train has to look in the mirror and ask wh
they didn't intervene or why they didn't do something."

The bystanders who failed to intervene could be criminally charged if the
recorded the attack, Bernhardt said, but the decision would be up to loca
prosecutors after cops wrap up their investigation. Pennsylvania does not hav
a good Samaritan law, so it'll be "very difficult to bring charges agains
anyone who witnessed the attack but didn't call 911 or offer help," Bernhard
said.

Authorities have not released the surveillance video and Nestel refused Monda
to give an approximate number of witnesses to the alleged sexual assault. "
can tell you that people were holding their phone up in the direction of thi
woman being attacked," Nestel said.

An off-duty SEPTA employee called transit cops, who arrived minutes later t
interrupt the assault and arrest Ngoy, who listed a shelter in Philadelphia a
his last address. He later told investigators he struck up a conversation wit
the woman, claiming the sexual encounter was consensual and that she didn'
stop his advances, the Inquirer reported. The woman told cops that version o
events was false, saying Ngoy ignored her pleas for him to leave her alone
the police affidavit states.

Ngoy remained jailed Monday on $180,000 bail on charges of rape and relate
offenses. He's due in court for a preliminary hearing in Upper Darby o
Monday, the Inquirer reported. He had not requested a public defender as o
Monday, court records show.
Ed Stasiak
2021-10-19 22:46:52 UTC
The passengers who did nothing while a homeless man raped a woman on a
commuter train outside Philadelphia may have also recorded the vile attack on
their cellphones instead of calling for help, authorities said.
Perhaps they were waiting for a social worker to show up and provide the rapist
with some counseling?…
Rhino
2021-10-19 23:00:24 UTC
The passengers who did nothing while a homeless man raped a woman on a
commuter train outside Philadelphia may have also recorded the vile attack on
their cellphones instead of calling for help, authorities said.
Perhaps they were waiting for a social worker to show up and provide the rapist
with some counseling?…
They were watching on the sidelines, helpfully offering the rapist tips
on his technique....
2021-10-19 23:02:05 UTC
The passengers who did nothing while a homeless man raped a woman on a
commuter train outside Philadelphia may have also recorded the vile attac
on
their cellphones instead of calling for help, authorities said.
Perhaps they were waiting for a social worker to show up and provide th
rapist
with some counseling?…
They were watching on the sidelines, helpfully offering the rapist tips
on his technique....
I'm pretty sure I'd have just kicked him squarely in the head while he wa
doing his filthy business.
moviePig
2021-10-19 23:17:35 UTC
The passengers who did nothing while a homeless man raped a woman on a
commuter train outside Philadelphia may have also recorded the vile attack on
their cellphones instead of calling for help, authorities said.
Perhaps they were waiting for a social worker to show up and provide the rapist
with some counseling?…
They were watching on the sidelines, helpfully offering the rapist tips
on his technique....
I'm pretty sure I'd have just kicked him squarely in the head while he was
doing his filthy business.
There's video. Waiting a bit to see if some surfaces might be good...
Ubiquitous
2021-10-20 08:52:02 UTC
The passengers who did nothing while a homeless man raped a woman on a
commuter train outside Philadelphia may have also recorded the vile
attack on their cellphones instead of calling for help, authorities
said.
Perhaps they were waiting for a social worker to show up and provide
the rapist with some counseling?

They were watching on the sidelines, helpfully offering the rapist tips
on his technique....
I'm pretty sure I'd have just kicked him squarely in the head while he was
doing his filthy business.
There's video. Waiting a bit to see if some surfaces might be good...
Um, wow.

Let's go Brandon!
Ian J. Ball
2021-10-20 12:24:19 UTC
The passengers who did nothing while a homeless man raped a woman on a
commuter train outside Philadelphia may have also recorded the vile
attack on their cellphones instead of calling for help, authorities
said.
Perhaps they were waiting for a social worker to show up and provide
the rapist with some counseling?…
They were watching on the sidelines, helpfully offering the rapist tips
on his technique....
I'm pretty sure I'd have just kicked him squarely in the head while he was
doing his filthy business.
There's video. Waiting a bit to see if some surfaces might be good...
Um, wow.
I didn't believe moviepig was a Trotsky sock... until this.
2021-10-20 14:43:41 UTC
The passengers who did nothing while a homeless man raped a woman on a
commuter train outside Philadelphia may have also recorded the vile
attack on their cellphones instead of calling for help, authorities
said.
Perhaps they were waiting for a social worker to show up and provide
the rapist with some counseling?…
They were watching on the sidelines, helpfully offering the rapist tips
on his technique....
I'm pretty sure I'd have just kicked him squarely in the head while he was
doing his filthy business.
There's video.  Waiting a bit to see if some surfaces might be good...
Um, wow.
I didn't believe moviepig was a Trotsky sock... until this.
...whereas *I* didn't know there was a prize for being the first
villager to pick up a pitchfork. It's odd how gleefully we gasp at
these onlookers' behavior, but aren't even slightly curious about what
might have contributed to it.
trotsky
2021-10-20 16:18:47 UTC
[...]
I don't know what that means but I do know that Ian is just another gay
weasel on the group.
moviePig
2021-10-20 17:01:09 UTC
[...]
It means that, when we see people -- like these bystanders -- displaying
inaction that we self-righteously deem incomprehensible, we should
consider how that might not be *all* we're not comprehending.
danny burstein
2021-10-20 17:59:37 UTC
In <***@4ax.com> The Horny Goat <***@home.ca> writes:

[snip]
Most subway cars have a pull down emergency handle after all
Umm, maybe you ought to check and see what that emergency
handle does before you pull it.

To those actually interested in this, the emergency handles
on most municipal systems actiavte the trains' emergency
brakes, thus _STOPPING_ the train right then and there.

Which ain't such a good idea if you're in a tunnel a haf
mile from the hearest stops.
***@panix.com
2021-10-20 20:03:57 UTC
Post by danny burstein
Most subway cars have a pull down emergency handle after all
Umm, maybe you ought to check and see what that emergency
handle does before you pull it.
To those actually interested in this, the emergency handles
on most municipal systems actiavte the trains' emergency
brakes, thus _STOPPING_ the train right then and there.
I'm pretty sure that's an urban legend.

Let's go Brandon!
A Friend
No, it's not. The emergency handle (often it's a cord) stops the train.
Ubiquitous
2021-10-21 11:48:40 UTC
Post by danny burstein
Most subway cars have a pull down emergency handle after all
Umm, maybe you ought to check and see what that emergency
handle does before you pull it.
To those actually interested in this, the emergency handles
on most municipal systems actiavte the trains' emergency
brakes, thus _STOPPING_ the train right then and there.
I'm pretty sure that's an urban legend.
No, it's not. The emergency handle (often it's a cord) stops the train.
I'm quite sure that's a trope, if for no other reason than "why would you
give access to the breaks to anyone at any time, potentially causing the
train to derail?". I remember seeing it on some debunking show or site.

That cord rings an alarm that tells the conductor to put on the brakes.

Let's go Brandon!
Adam H. Kerman
2021-10-20 19:43:03 UTC
. . .
Most subway cars have a pull down emergency handle after all and most
urban subways have cell phone repeaters along their tracks.
Dude! Don't pull that! That's a brake lever.
. . .
trotsky
2021-10-20 20:42:25 UTC
...whereas *I* didn't know there was a prize for being the first
villager to pick up a pitchfork.  It's odd how gleefully we gasp at
these onlookers' behavior, but aren't even slightly curious about what
might have contributed to it.
I don't know what that means but I do know that Ian is just another gay
weasel on the group.
It means that, when we see people -- like these bystanders -- displaying
inaction that we self-righteously deem incomprehensible, we should
consider how that might not be *all* we're not comprehending.
If the victim is screaming then surely if the choice if between
calling 911 and taking a video any decent person would not consider it
a tough decision.
Don't fret. moviePig is just indulging his penchant for excusing the
inexcusable.
Holy balls, super intense moviepig trolling, whatever will he do?
trotsky
2021-10-20 20:47:35 UTC
[...]
So we don't know what we don't know? Is that supposed to be astute or
annoying?
moviePig
2021-10-20 22:15:13 UTC
[...]
Mainly it's supposed to acknowledge that there's apparently lots of
video of this encounter, which maybe we should wait to see before
administering lethal injections.
The Horny Goat
2021-10-20 23:51:13 UTC
Mainly it's supposed to acknowledge that there's apparently lots of
video of this encounter, which maybe we should wait to see before
administering lethal injections.
You're suggesting there were mitigating circumstances and that maybe
she led him on even though she was screaming when he was ripping off
her clothes?

My being in the "terminate with extreme prejudice" camp has more to do
with having two daughters I am somewhat fond of as opposed to being
ultra-politically correct.

And don't start to tell me he was mentally ill since at least in
Canada one of the flaws of our legal system is that in cases decided
by 'not guilty due to mental illness' merely moves the parole decision
from the legal system to the medical system and at least in these
parts there has been a stunning lack of accountability.

Here's an example: in the original case, A kills his 3 children and
attempts to kill B his wife. A is sentenced to a mental capacity
committal. Fast forward 10 years. B has made a new life in a new
community (about 150-200 miles away from where they lived at the time
of the murders of her children) while A steams in his drugs and
psychopathy. A applies for release - and requests the community B has
moved to to make her new life even though neither of them pre-murders
had any connection to it. It was reported in a magazine that she had a
routine that includes coffee and pastries. Guess who announces a
desire to feast at Tim Horton's.

To me the fact that he has requested release into the community where
it's known B now lives ought to be proof in itself that while he may
still be crazy he's sane enough to want to see her again though no one
can possibly know whether his intentions are peaceable or not and in a
world where I was king, that's a decision I'd allow ONLY with extreme
precautions and ONLY with B's consent. Given the link below it's clear
he got his wish though not to that community.

Though for sure I would consider a request to be released into B's new
community to be a direct sign of nefarious thoughts. Fortunately the
provincial justice also saw it that way and overruled the
psychiatrists who were ready to let him have his request.

As I say it's a very well known case. That said I consider the
followup story to that an abomination:
https://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/local-news/child-killer-allan-schoenborn-approved-for-unescorted-passes-into-community-4443801#:~:text=not%20a%20danger.%E2%80%9D-,In%20April%202008%2C%20Schoenborn%20stabbed%20and%20smothered%20his%20daughter%20and,in%20their%20Merritt%20family%20trailer.&text=He%20claimed%20he%20killed%20his,them%20from%20the%20crushing%20humiliation.
trotsky
2021-10-21 09:08:39 UTC
[...]
We should wait to see lots of video? Is it under lock and key or is
your syntax LSD influenced? What the flying fuck are you trying to say?
Can you PLEASE save the abstruse bullshit to punish Derpshit with?
moviePig
2021-10-21 14:34:38 UTC
[...]
I'm assuming that, if public attention to this incident remains high,
then most of the video that those idle onlookers purportedly shot will
make its way into public view. Admittedly, if it doesn't then I might
have to suspect it's self-incriminating (of the videographers).
trotsky
Wow, even Derpshit isn't stupid enough to think this.
Rhino
2021-10-20 00:02:56 UTC
The passengers who did nothing while a homeless man raped a woman on a
commuter train outside Philadelphia may have also recorded the vile attack on
their cellphones instead of calling for help, authorities said.
Perhaps they were waiting for a social worker to show up and provide the rapist
with some counseling?…
They were watching on the sidelines, helpfully offering the rapist tips
on his technique....
I'm pretty sure I'd have just kicked him squarely in the head while he was
doing his filthy business.
That's absolutely what SHOULD have been done!
Well anonyshitted by one of the resident chickenshit assholes!!!
anim8rfsk
2021-10-19 23:28:42 UTC
People are routinely confronted by hysterical screaming maniacs in Target and
called "murderers" for not wearing masks but rape a woman on the train and
no
one says a thing.
--------------------------------
https://nypost.com/2021/10/19/passengers-held-up-phones-during-philadelphia-septa-rape/
The passengers who did nothing while a homeless man raped a woman on a
commuter train outside Philadelphia may have also recorded the vile attack
on
their cellphones instead of calling for help, authorities said.
Surveillance footage showed Fiston Ngoy, 35, who has been charged with rape in
Wednesday's sickening attack aboard a Southeastern Pennsylvania
Transportation
Authority train, spent nearly 45 minutes harassing the woman and touched
her
breast at one point, according to an arrest affidavit obtained by the
Philadelphia Inquirer.
45 minutes? How long does it take to ride the train from end to end?
Police said the rape lasted about six minutes as other passengers looked on
while holding their cellphones, but didn't use the devices to call 911,
SEPTA's police chief said Monday.
"We want everyone to be angry, disgusted, and to join us in being resolute in
keeping our system safe," Chief Thomas Nestel III told reporters. "We need
the
public to notify us when they see something that seems to be unusual."
The woman had tried to stop Ngoy prior to the sexual assault, a SEPTA
spokesman told the New York Times. "Then, unfortunately, he proceeded to
rip
her clothes off," SEPTA spokesman Andrew Busch said Sunday.
It's unclear how many other passengers were in the car of the westbound train
on the Market-Frankford Line, but Upper Darby police Superintendent Timothy
Bernhardt said the attack might have been prevented if someone had gotten
involved.
Is there any kind of panic or emergency button you can hit?
“I’m appalled by those who did nothing to help this woman," Bernhardt told the
Times. "Anybody that was on that train has to look in the mirror and ask
why
they didn't intervene or why they didn't do something."
The bystanders who failed to intervene could be criminally charged if they
recorded the attack,
OK so what’s the law here? If you watched but didn’t record it you’re OK?
Are you just not allowed to shoot video on the train at all or is there
actually some bazaar law about shooting video of illegal acts?
Bernhardt said, but the decision would be up to local
prosecutors after cops wrap up their investigation. Pennsylvania does not
have
a good Samaritan law, so it’ll be “very difficult to bring charges against
anyone who witnessed the attack but didn't call 911 or offer help,"
Bernhardt
said.
Authorities have not released the surveillance video and Nestel refused Monday
to give an approximate number of witnesses to the alleged sexual assault.
"I
can tell you that people were holding their phone up in the direction of
this
woman being attacked," Nestel said.
An off-duty SEPTA employee called transit cops, who
arrived minutes later to
That’s a pretty good response time if the entire rape took six minutes
interrupt the assault and arrest Ngoy, who listed a shelter in Philadelphia as
his last address. He later told investigators he struck up a conversation
with
the woman, claiming the sexual encounter was consensual and that she didn't
stop his advances, the Inquirer reported. The woman told cops that version
of
events was false, saying Ngoy ignored her pleas for him to leave her alone,
the police affidavit states.
Ngoy remained jailed Monday on $180,000 bail on charges of rape and related
offenses. He's due in court for a preliminary hearing in Upper Darby on
Monday, the Inquirer reported. He had not requested a public defender as of
Monday, court records show.
2021-10-19 23:35:14 UTC
Even made the news in India, a rape mecca. BTW, looking at his picture? Figures...

https://getindianews.com/fiston-ngoy-biography-arrested-age-pennsylvania-man-raped-woman-on-train/
Ubiquitous
2021-10-20 14:53:22 UTC
The man who allegedly violently raped a woman on a train in the
Philadelphia-area, as onlookers watched and did nothing, is an illegal alien
who reportedly has a criminal history and was supposed to be deported years
ago.

Fox News reported:

Tucker Carlson Tonight has confirmed that Fiston Ngoy, who was
arrested last week for allegedly raping the woman in a brutal attack
on a SEPTA train in front of other passengers, came to the U.S.
legally in 2012 on a student visa. However, the 35-year-old
Congolese national’s visa was terminated in 2015 because he failed
to remain a student.

Meanwhile, court records show that he racked up “multiple arrests
and two misdemeanor convictions, one for controlled substances and
one for sexual abuse.” Ngoy pled guilty in 2017 in Washington D.C.
to the sexual abuse misdemeanor and was sentenced to 120 days in
prison and nine months probation.

Ngoy was reportedly never deported because “he received a ‘withholding of
removal’ from an immigration judge in March 2019 after the Board of
Immigration Appeals found that his misdemeanor sex offense was not a ‘serious
crime’ that would have made him ineligible for such a stay.”

The Daily Wire reported on Tuesday:

Police arrested 35-year-old Fiston Ngoy, who is homeless, Wednesday
night on charges including rape, sexual assault, and aggravated
indecent assault without consent after he allegedly attacked a woman
on board a train near Philadelphia. Throughout the attack, multiple
witnesses failed to intervene or call 911 as Ngoy allegedly tore off
the woman’s clothes and assaulted her.

Police said Monday that the man harassed the woman for about 40
minutes while nobody on the train intervened. He eventually began
ripping off her clothes, sexually assaulting, and raping her as she
attempted to push him away, police said according to WPVI. Ngoy told
police in a statement that he knew the woman, but could not remember
her name. He also claimed that the encounter was consensual.

Reports have suggested that those who watched the rape happen and did not
intervene could face criminal charges, although prosecuting such a case would
be tricky.

“I’m appalled by those who did nothing to help this woman,” Timothy
Bernhardt, the superintendent of the Upper Darby Township Police Department,
said. “Anybody that was on that train has to look in the mirror and ask why
they didn’t intervene or why they didn’t do something.”

Bernhardt said that there were enough people in the train car that
“collectively, they could have gotten together and done something.”

“What this woman endured at the hands of this guy, what she’s been able to
provide for us, it’s been unbelievable,” Bernhardt said.

Alexis Piquero, a criminologist at the University of Miami, said, “The onus
is really on us as a collective because we can’t always rely on the police.
We have to rely on one another.”

“We need a world where people are doing the right thing when you see someone
assaulted,” Piquero added.

Let's go Brandon!
BTR1701
2021-10-20 17:59:37 UTC
The man who allegedly violently raped a woman on a train in the
Philadelphia-area, as onlookers watched and did nothing, is an illegal alien
who reportedly has a criminal history and was supposed to be deported years
ago.
Just so we're clear if he's convicted he's on the first boat out
either at the beginning or end of sentence right?
Not if the 'progressives' get their way. They'll go out of their way to
protect him from ICE.
trotsky
2021-10-20 20:41:02 UTC
The man who allegedly violently raped a woman on a train in the
Philadelphia-area, as onlookers watched and did nothing, is an illegal alien
who reportedly has a criminal history and was supposed to be deported years
ago.
Just so we're clear if he's convicted he's on the first boat out
either at the beginning or end of sentence right?
Not if the 'progressives' get their way. They'll go out of their way to
protect him from ICE.
I sure hope such dog shit thoughts keep you up at night. Anim8r hopes
stuff keeps you up at night too but that's something entirely different.
The Horny Goat
2021-10-20 23:32:49 UTC
The man who allegedly violently raped a woman on a train in the
Philadelphia-area, as onlookers watched and did nothing, is an illegal alien
who reportedly has a criminal history and was supposed to be deported years
ago.
Just so we're clear if he's convicted he's on the first boat out
either at the beginning or end of sentence right?
Not if the 'progressives' get their way. They'll go out of their way to
protect him from ICE.
Well my preference for a convicted rapist would be deplaning at 10000
feet without parachute training but different strokes for different
folks I guess.

Last I heard 'progressives' weren't real big on rapists.
BTR1701
2021-10-21 00:03:29 UTC
The man who allegedly violently raped a woman on a train in the
Philadelphia-area, as onlookers watched and did nothing, is an
illegal alien who reportedly has a criminal history and was
supposed to be deported years ago.
Just so we're clear if he's convicted he's on the first boat out
either at the beginning or end of sentence right?
Not if the 'progressives' get their way. They'll go out of their way to
protect him from ICE.
Well my preference for a convicted rapist would be deplaning at 10000
feet without parachute training but different strokes for different
folks I guess.
Last I heard 'progressives' weren't real big on rapists.
As with most things 'progressive', it depends on who's being raped and
who's doing the raping.

A great example of this are the leaders of that #TimesUp movement, who
all had to resign in shame when it came out that the heads of this
anti-rape/anti-harassment movement were doing everything they could
behind the scenes to protect serial groper Andrew Cuomo from losing his
job.

Because Democrat.
The Horny Goat
2021-10-21 01:03:37 UTC
[...]
Well the perpetrator was black (can't remember which African country
he was from but definitely not American black). I don't know the
background of his victim but if whether she was rescued from her
attacker depended on the color of her skin then truly our nations have
gone beyond the pale. (no pun intended)

For me if a woman is getting raped be she red white yellow black or
green, if you're in a position to rescue her you have a moral duty to
do so.

That's non-negotiable in my books.
Ubiquitous
2021-10-21 11:53:34 UTC
The man who allegedly violently raped a woman on a train in the
Philadelphia-area, as onlookers watched and did nothing, is an illegal
alien who reportedly has a criminal history and was supposed to be
deported years ago.
Just so we're clear if he's convicted he's on the first boat out
either at the beginning or end of sentence right?
Not if the 'progressives' get their way. They'll go out of their way to
protect him from ICE.
Well my preference for a convicted rapist would be deplaning at 10000
feet without parachute training but different strokes for different
folks I guess.
Last I heard 'progressives' weren't real big on rapists.
You mean like Harvey Firestein, Bill Clinton, Bill Crosby, and Resident
Biden? Don't make me Troll-O-Meter you, bro!

Let's go Brandon!
The Horny Goat
2021-10-21 15:45:47 UTC
Last I heard 'progressives' weren't real big on rapists.
You mean like Harvey Firestein, Bill Clinton, Bill Crosby, and Resident
Biden? Don't make me Troll-O-Meter you, bro!
OK OK you've convinced me I left off the obligatory ending "... unless
the bad guy in question was one of their own" which is a phrase
applicable to all sorts of bad behaviour

Ubiquitous
2021-10-20 19:13:06 UTC
The man who allegedly violently raped a woman on a train in the
Philadelphia-area, as onlookers watched and did nothing, is an illegal
alien who reportedly has a criminal history and was supposed to be
deported years ago.
Just so we're clear if he's convicted he's on the first boat out
either at the beginning or end of sentence right?
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA AH AH AH HA!

Thanks for the good laf!

Let's go Brandon!
BTR1701
2021-10-20 21:09:23 UTC
...whereas *I* didn't know there was a prize for being the first
villager to pick up a pitchfork.  It's odd how gleefully we gasp at
these onlookers' behavior, but aren't even slightly curious about what
might have contributed to it.
I don't know what that means but I do know that Ian is just another gay
weasel on the group.
It means that, when we see people -- like these bystanders -- displaying
inaction that we self-righteously deem incomprehensible, we should
consider how that might not be *all* we're not comprehending.
If the victim is screaming then surely if the choice if between
calling 911 and taking a video any decent person would not consider it
a tough decision.
Don't fret. moviePig is just indulging his penchant for excusing the
inexcusable.
Right, any decent person *wouldn't* consider it a tough decision.
Therefore, any reasonable Usenet magistrate ought to wonder what caused
this entire bunch of onlookers to stay sidelined. Sure, maybe they
coincidentally *were* all shits, who knows? But it seems worth delaying
the lynch-mob for the short while that might give hard answers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect
moviePig
2021-10-20 22:12:25 UTC
[...]
I see. So, if we accept those links as proof that people are quite
prone to such inertia, then I wonder how much we can trust the smug
certainty of commenters here that surely *they* would've done better...
BTR1701
2021-10-20 22:18:02 UTC
[...]
I spent my whole working career intervening in the shenanigans of criminal
shitbags. I'm hardly being smug when I say I would have kicked this piece o
shit into the nearest intensive care ward.
moviePig
2021-10-20 23:04:19 UTC
[...]
shitbags. I'm hardly being smug when I say I would have kicked this piece of
shit into the nearest intensive care ward.
You believe you would've "kicked this piece of shit" that exists in your
imagination. But no one here, including you, was actually there. And the
possibility looms that considerably more visual info may be forthcoming.
BTR1701
2021-10-20 23:31:35 UTC
On Wed, 20 Oct 2021 13:01:09 -0400, moviePig
[...]
criminals and shitbags. I'm hardly being smug when I say I would have
kicked this piece of shit into the nearest intensive care ward.
You believe you would've "kicked this piece of shit" that exists in your
imagination. But no one here, including you, was actually there. And the
possibility looms that considerably more visual info may be forthcoming.
I know that some guy who's busy raping a woman literally can't
physically intimidate a whole subway car into submission. It's kinda
hard to control a crowd, including armed former feds, as I would have
been had I been there, while your dick is busy raping someone and all
your attention is on holding *her* down to do it.

You seem invested in the possibility of some unseen and unknown bogeyman
or spirit that froze everyone in place-- but not their cell phones,
Ba'al or Maleficent or the ghost of Palpatine let them use their cell
phones but otherwise rooted them in place-- because otherwise you can't
give them all a pass for their moral turpitude and at the same time
paint yourself as the wise and calm sage who had the foresight not to
"rush to judgment".
shawn
2021-10-20 23:56:25 UTC
[...]
See that's what gets me. I can understand the fear of getting involved
physically as you have no idea if the guy has a weapon on him. It
would definitely enter my mind in that situation and would leave me
conflicted as I would also very much want to stop the attack.

That said why wouldn't they bother to use a cell phone to call the
police. There's no real risk involved in doing that and it's easily
done in seconds. Then let the police catch the guy at the next stop.
The Horny Goat
2021-10-21 00:58:19 UTC
On Wed, 20 Oct 2021 19:56:25 -0400, shawn
Post by shawn
That said why wouldn't they bother to use a cell phone to call the
police. There's no real risk involved in doing that and it's easily
done in seconds. Then let the police catch the guy at the next stop.
Well that was my whole point - if the police suddenly got (from their
point of view) 20+ calls out of the blue they'd be on it in split
second time.

I gave an example of a long ago case where they got 5 911 calls in
quick succession and no question they prioritized the response that
night.

But for sure if a rapist was ABLE to keep going knowing how many
people had phones out doing what they were SUPPOSED to be doing with
their phones rather than what they actually did do then truly that man
would have impressed me!
The Horny Goat
2021-10-21 00:06:25 UTC
I spent my whole working career intervening in the shenanigans of criminals
shitbags. I'm hardly being smug when I say I would have kicked this piece of
shit into the nearest intensive care ward.
You believe you would've "kicked this piece of shit" that exists in your
imagination. But no one here, including you, was actually there. And the
possibility looms that considerably more visual info may be forthcoming.
While I agree with you, I very strongly disagree with you that those
filming were only "collecting evidence" with no element at all of
voyeurism.

Bottom line is if you're in an emergency situation your duty is to
render what help you can as quickly as you can and if you can't then
at least make an effort to summon help. Yes it's reasonable that you
take your own safety into account but that seems not to have been a
issue here in this case.
moviePig
2021-10-21 02:26:46 UTC
[...]
Note that I don't claim that they meant to be "collecting evidence",
only that they apparently *did* -- and I'm thinking we may get to see it
fairly soon. And *that* could help explain what *I* consider a
significant anomaly, i.e., that out of a crowd of passengers *nobody*
elected to interfere. Sure it's possible, but to me it seems odd --
particularly in light of the unanimous declarations heard here.
The Horny Goat
2021-10-21 00:00:40 UTC
I see. So, if we accept those links as proof that people are quite
prone to such inertia, then I wonder how much we can trust the smug
certainty of commenters here that surely *they* would've done better...
I spent my whole working career intervening in the shenanigans of criminals
shitbags. I'm hardly being smug when I say I would have kicked this piece of
shit into the nearest intensive care ward.
To be fair most of us have never experienced anything remotely like
that. The closest I have EVER come personally was when two people (mom
and grandpa) both thought the other was looking after my 2 year old
son while tyke walks out the front door and emerges onto the 4 lane
street between two parked cars.

I see the kid outside and go WTF? then see him emerge from between the
two cars with oncoming traffic about 3 car lengths back. I think "holy
sh*****!!!" and run directly into traffic myself waving my arms and
screaming till I get close enough to grab him and race to safety.

I'm well aware that I risked my life that day and the "decision" was
made instinctively in under a second so that's one of life's questions
I'll never have to ask myself. To the extent I thought about what I
was doing at all it was "I know that driver is far more likely to see
a big guy like me yelling and screaming than a cute little tyke on the
road clearly not paying attention to traffic and minding his own
business!"

My son turned 30 last week.

That's about the only threatening emergency situation I've been in -
and there is no doubt in my mind that the odds of the driver spotting
Johnny in time would be 50-50 AT BEST.

But no I've never encountered a major crime case except to hear about
one as a teenager over the dinner table when my late grandfather
served on a murder jury.
RichA
2021-10-21 03:14:32 UTC
People are routinely confronted by hysterical screaming maniacs in Target and
called "murderers" for not wearing masks but rape a woman on the train and no
one says a thing.
--------------------------------
https://nypost.com/2021/10/19/passengers-held-up-phones-during-philadelphia-septa-rape/
The passengers who did nothing while a homeless man raped a woman on a
commuter train outside Philadelphia may have also recorded the vile attack on
their cellphones instead of calling for help, authorities said.
Surveillance footage showed Fiston Ngoy, 35, who has been charged with rape in
Wednesday's sickening attack aboard a Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation
Authority train, spent nearly 45 minutes harassing the woman and touched her
breast at one point, according to an arrest affidavit obtained by the
Philadelphia Inquirer.
Police said the rape lasted about six minutes as other passengers looked on
while holding their cellphones, but didn't use the devices to call 911,
SEPTA's police chief said Monday.
"We want everyone to be angry, disgusted, and to join us in being resolute in
keeping our system safe," Chief Thomas Nestel III told reporters. "We need the
public to notify us when they see something that seems to be unusual."
The woman had tried to stop Ngoy prior to the sexual assault, a SEPTA
spokesman told the New York Times. "Then, unfortunately, he proceeded to rip
her clothes off," SEPTA spokesman Andrew Busch said Sunday.
It's unclear how many other passengers were in the car of the westbound train
on the Market-Frankford Line, but Upper Darby police Superintendent Timothy
Bernhardt said the attack might have been prevented if someone had gotten
involved.
"I'm appalled by those who did nothing to help this woman," Bernhardt told the
Times. "Anybody that was on that train has to look in the mirror and ask why
they didn't intervene or why they didn't do something."
The bystanders who failed to intervene could be criminally charged if they
recorded the attack, Bernhardt said, but the decision would be up to local
prosecutors after cops wrap up their investigation. Pennsylvania does not have
a good Samaritan law, so it'll be "very difficult to bring charges against
anyone who witnessed the attack but didn't call 911 or offer help," Bernhardt
said.
Authorities have not released the surveillance video and Nestel refused Monday
to give an approximate number of witnesses to the alleged sexual assault. "I
can tell you that people were holding their phone up in the direction of this
woman being attacked," Nestel said.
An off-duty SEPTA employee called transit cops, who arrived minutes later to
interrupt the assault and arrest Ngoy, who listed a shelter in Philadelphia as
his last address. He later told investigators he struck up a conversation with
the woman, claiming the sexual encounter was consensual and that she didn't
stop his advances, the Inquirer reported. The woman told cops that version of
events was false, saying Ngoy ignored her pleas for him to leave her alone,
the police affidavit states.
Ngoy remained jailed Monday on $180,000 bail on charges of rape and related
offenses. He's due in court for a preliminary hearing in Upper Darby on
Monday, the Inquirer reported. He had not requested a public defender as of
Monday, court records show.
I wonder if the train car had video?