What Did You Watch? 2020-06-29 (Monday)
2020-06-30 08:30:41 UTC
After my workout, I watched:

HOW THE UNIVERSE WORKS:
Several eps combined into a super-sized one.
(I fell alseep on the couch at some point)

Democrats and the liberal media hate President Trump more than they
love this country.
Ian J. Ball
2020-06-30 16:12:51 UTC
On a day I finally got a gas grill for myself, I watched:

soaps: B&B - Malarkey from 2012(?) in which Wyatt and Hope get married
on a boat outside of Monaco.
Y&R - A good chesnut from 1994, in which we're reminded that Sharon
was always a gold-digging tramp from Day One. But this was fun, as it
was an episode with the lovely Brenda Epperson as Ashley Abbott, and
also sported Julianne Morris (I think) as Amy, Sharon's friend, and
Diana Barton as Mari Jo Mason. And it was the good old days of Heather
Tom as Victoria Newman, back when she got busted for posing nude!!

His Dark Materials (HBO Go) - "Betrayal" (ep. #1.8). OK, I see the
problem here - not only is this virulently "anti-Catholic" and
athestic, but it's also virulently "anti-parent", as it turns out
*both* of Lyra's parents are straight-up evil.
Anyway, this was a downright unsatisfying "season finale" - there's
an awful development here that I really didn't like, no Lee at all
(which felt like a dropped plot point after the previous episde), and
this ends on an unsatisfying cliffhanger in terms of both Lyra and Will.
I'll probably check out season #2, but I can see why this didn't do
better...

Brimstone (Prime) - OK, I straight up liked this quite a bit. (It helps
that Dakota Fanning was its primary star - I'm a sucker for her - but
second lead Emilia Jones was also quite good.)
Anyway, this is quite dark, very violent (and not in the "fun" way),
and told non-linearly - e.g. Acts 2 and 3 explain what happened in Act
1, with Act 4 serving as the resolution that ties everything together.
But I thought it was effective, even if it doesn't follow my preferred
"revenge flick" tropes.
Recommended for fans of Fanning (or Jones), or for anyone who wants
to see Guy Pearce play straight-up evil, or for fans of "revisionist
westerns".
2020-06-30 17:56:19 UTC
soaps: B&B - Malarkey from 2012(?) in which Wyatt and Hope get married
on a boat outside of Monaco.
  Y&R - A good chesnut from 1994, in which we're reminded that Sharon
was always a gold-digging tramp from Day One. But this was fun, as it
was an episode with the lovely Brenda Epperson as Ashley Abbott, and
also sported Julianne Morris (I think) as Amy, Sharon's friend, and
Diana Barton as Mari Jo Mason. And it was the good old days of Heather
Tom as Victoria Newman, back when she got busted for posing nude!!
His Dark Materials (HBO Go) - "Betrayal" (ep. #1.8). OK, I see the
problem here - not only is this virulently "anti-Catholic"
The books are famously anti-Catholic. But when they made the movie,
they hired Nicole Kidnam, who herself is Catholic. So the movie toned
the anti-religious aspects from the book way down.

and athestic,
Post by Ian J. Ball
[...]
I watched:

Penn and Teller: Fool Us - "Teller vs. Penn" – The first magician
brought out a large box of Styrofoam peanuts. He had Teller sign one
then dropped the peanut in the box. He then mixed it up and dived into
the box to find it. Penn seemed to be implying that he dropped the
peanut into a container but didn’t really challenge him one way or the
other. I'm not sure why Penn didn’t do more of a definitive guess. But
the magician managed to fool them.

The next magician did a card trick. He put some marks on one card then
made those same marks appear on other cards. He had the added affect of
a voice of doubt occasionally mocking him. It was a nice trick, but I
would have been more impressed if he let someone else mark the cards.
Not fooled.

The third magician turned a container of water Alison was holding into
tea. He then made a woman appear on stage from behind a curtain. Penn
made a point to say the tea could have been done lots of ways that was
poisonous, but since Alison was allowed to drink the tea the trick was
harder. But then Penn started to talk timing. This had to go to the
judges who ruled not fooled. My guess is the tea was on some sort of
delay, otherwise I have no idea. They didn’t even bother to explain the
woman who materialized.

The final magician swallowed some fishing hooks then regurgitated them
on a thread. I could have sworn Penn said they didn't let those kinds
of acts on the show. Then again, if true that might just be a sign that
he didn’t really swallow the hooks. Teller made it clear he knew how he
swallowed the hooks, and by using the deception several times, I think
it's clear he didn't really swallow the hooks. What seemed to confused
P&T was the thread, but in the end, they weren’t fooled.

For the final trick Penn did a magic trick in an attempt to fool Teller.
He had Teller pull a card from a deck then systematically pull out all
the wrong possible cards until he was left with the right card. Penn
(half) fooled Teller.

Perry Mason - Episode two follows the keystone cops and DA as they take
the path of least resistance by focusing on the father of the kidnapped
child and when that doesn't pan out, they focus on the mother.

2020 BET Awards - This was interesting since it was done with social
distancing. It was very well done. I didn't recognize most of the
people nominated and performing, but I was really impressed by some of
the performances done with the singer and musicians performing in the
same location, but still away from each other. I thought this one with
the singer in the center of a stage while surrounded by an orchestra
being lit as they performed was probably the best staging of the night.

St. Elmo's Fire (TMC) 1985 Joel Schumacher movie. This aired yesterday
and I have no idea if it was put on rotation because of Schumacher's
death, or if it was always scheduled to air. I don't think I've ever
seen this before. If I did, I completely wiped it from my memory. It
stars various 80s young stars including the "Brat Pack" and focuses on
their lives and loves shortly after graduating from college. I really
didn't like this movie. And I can easily see how if I did see it before
why I don't remember it. It's a completely forgettable movie. It just
has a really famous/memorable name.
suzeeq
And there were still complaints and calls for boycotting it.
Ian J. Ball
2020-06-30 18:26:50 UTC
Post by suzeeq
His Dark Materials (HBO Go) - "Betrayal" (ep. #1.8). OK, I see the
problem here - not only is this virulently "anti-Catholic"
The books are famously anti-Catholic. But when they made the movie,
they hired Nicole Kidnam, who herself is Catholic. So the movie toned
the anti-religious aspects from the book way down.
And there were still complaints and calls for boycotting it.
You guys are focusing on the wrong part - what shocks me is how
"anti-parent" this is. It's one thing to have one of the girl's parents
be evil - but to make them *both* straight-up evil strikes me as beyond
the pale.

That one development really cut the legs out from under this, IMO.

Again, just this trope, even more than the "anti-religion" bit, likely
explains why these books aren't more popular.
2020-06-30 23:23:40 UTC
Post by suzeeq
His Dark Materials (HBO Go) - "Betrayal" (ep. #1.8). OK, I see the
problem here - not only is this virulently "anti-Catholic"
The books are famously anti-Catholic. But when they made the movie,
they hired Nicole Kidnam, who herself is Catholic. So the movie
toned the anti-religious aspects from the book way down.
And there were still complaints and calls for boycotting it.
You guys are focusing on the wrong part - what shocks me is how
"anti-parent" this is. It's one thing to have one of the girl's parents
be evil - but to make them *both* straight-up evil strikes me as beyond
the pale.
That one development really cut the legs out from under this, IMO.
Again, just this trope, even more than the "anti-religion" bit, likely
explains why these books aren't more popular.
I've only seen episode 1, so I'll give it a few more before I can
comment on the 'anti-parent' bias. But many stories have evil or
indifferent parents, both of them.
Jim G.
2020-07-04 22:37:22 UTC
Post by suzeeq
His Dark Materials (HBO Go) - "Betrayal" (ep. #1.8). OK, I see the
problem here - not only is this virulently "anti-Catholic"
The books are famously anti-Catholic. But when they made the movie,
they hired Nicole Kidnam, who herself is Catholic. So the movie toned
the anti-religious aspects from the book way down.
And there were still complaints and calls for boycotting it.
You guys are focusing on the wrong part - what shocks me is how
"anti-parent" this is. It's one thing to have one of the girl's parents
be evil - but to make them *both* straight-up evil strikes me as beyond
the pale.
That one development really cut the legs out from under this, IMO.
Again, just this trope, even more than the "anti-religion" bit, likely
explains why these books aren't more popular.
I don't entirely disagree with you, but bad (one way or another and it
doesn't seem to matter at all) parents are a trendy thing in fiction at
this point.
"I'm really glad we're at this place in our relationship where we can
dig up graves together without having to talk." -- Major Lillywhite, iZOMBIE
Jim G.
2020-07-04 22:44:20 UTC
Post by suzeeq
[...]
If Pullman's constant target was Islam instead of Christianity and
Catholicism, his works would have been banned by now.
BTR1701
2020-06-30 19:17:22 UTC
2020 BET Awards - This was interesting since it was done with social
distancing. It was very well done. I didn't recognize most of the
people nominated and performing, but I was really impressed by some of
the performances done with the singer and musicians performing in the
same location, but still away from each other. I thought this one with
the singer in the center of a stage while surrounded by an orchestra
being lit as they performed was probably the best staging of the night.
http://youtu.be/RqQNFyIZ5Kg
Not really much of an orchestra. Three violins, a cello, and a bass are
a string quintet spaced across the whole stage.

I wonder if brass instruments will be allowed in orchestras from now on,
considering the very nature of playing them involves rocketing your
airflow through a tube and launching it over the heads of the rest of
the musicians.
Ubiquitous
2020-06-30 19:48:09 UTC
2020 BET Awards - This was interesting since it was done with social
distancing.
So, how many people got shot this year?
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
St. Elmo's Fire (TMC) 1985 Joel Schumacher movie. This aired yesterday
and I have no idea if it was put on rotation because of Schumacher's
death, or if it was always scheduled to air. I don't think I've ever
seen this before. If I did, I completely wiped it from my memory. It
stars various 80s young stars including the "Brat Pack" and focuses on
their lives and loves shortly after graduating from college. I really
didn't like this movie. And I can easily see how if I did see it before
why I don't remember it. It's a completely forgettable movie. It just
has a really famous/memorable name.
I remember liking it because it was very timely at the timne.
I cannot recall if I've seen it since.

--
Democrats and the liberal media hate President Trump more than they
love this country.
anim8rfsk
2020-06-30 20:27:38 UTC
Penn and Teller: Fool Us - "Teller vs. Penn"
I may have to go rewatch this from the gray. The CW feed was breaking up
constantly, and the CC was reduced to nonsensical jumbles of characters.

Note that Allyson is in all red this season, and she and Teller don't make
physical contact when he comes on stage any more. In fact she looks like
she's expecting it, but he makes a wide berth.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
– The first magician
brought out a large box of Styrofoam peanuts.
I liked him asking the audience if anyone had a peanut allergy. :)
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
He had Teller sign one
then dropped the peanut in the box. He then mixed it up and dived into
the box to find it.
After being covered in industrial adhesive
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Penn seemed to be implying that he dropped the
peanut into a container but didn’t really challenge him one way or the
other. I'm not sure why Penn didn’t do more of a definitive guess. But
the magician managed to fool them.
I didn't get this at all, except I guess Penn's first guess was wrong and he
didn't get a second bite.
He thought the guy dropped the peanut into a container he could get retrieve
it from. I think since the guy was in a box with 26,000 identical packing
peanuts and had the pen that Teller used to make a crude T on one (they
didn't even check the other side of it) he just made a new one. How would
they know?
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
The next magician did a card trick. He put some marks on one card then
made those same marks appear on other cards. He had the added affect of
a voice of doubt occasionally mocking him. It was a nice trick, but I
would have been more impressed if he let someone else mark the cards.
Not fooled.
yeah
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
The third magician turned a container of water Alison was holding into
tea. He then made a woman appear on stage from behind a curtain. Penn
made a point to say the tea could have been done lots of ways that was
poisonous, but since Alison was allowed to drink the tea the trick was
harder. But then Penn started to talk timing. This had to go to the
judges who ruled not fooled. My guess is the tea was on some sort of
delay, otherwise I have no idea. They didn’t even bother to explain the
woman who materialized.
Yeah, he had water that changes to tea in a fixed number of seconds, and
timed himself so it changed on command.
But if it smells like tea and tastes like tea and is drinkable ... it must be
clear tea that turns opaque, which is in and of itself something of a trick.

My big problem here was not only did he have a thick Chinese accent, he
seemed to have a speech impediment, the audio was hanging and dropping out
constantly, and the CCs were gibberish, so I have no idea if his patter
mattered.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
The final magician swallowed some fishing hooks then regurgitated them
on a thread. I could have sworn Penn said they didn't let those kinds
of acts on the show. Then again, if true that might just be a sign that
he didn’t really swallow the hooks.
it looked to me like the hooks were soft and digestible. :)
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Teller made it clear he knew how he
swallowed the hooks, and by using the deception several times, I think
it's clear he didn't really swallow the hooks. What seemed to confused
P&T was the thread, but in the end, they weren’t fooled.
I have no idea why this act was even on the show. I knew exactly how it was
going to end.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
For the final trick Penn did a magic trick in an attempt to fool Teller.
He had Teller pull a card from a deck then systematically pull out all
the wrong possible cards until he was left with the right card. Penn
(half) fooled Teller.
He completely and totally baffled Teller! Piff said so!!
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Perry Mason - Episode two follows the keystone cops and DA as they take
the path of least resistance by focusing on the father of the kidnapped
child and when that doesn't pan out, they focus on the mother.
The Majik DVR suggested I watch it, but it couldn't actually be done.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
Yeah, I know the name, but I've never seen it either.
2020-06-30 20:55:14 UTC
Penn and Teller: Fool Us - "Teller vs. Penn"
I may have to go rewatch this from the gray. The CW feed was breaking up
constantly, and the CC was reduced to nonsensical jumbles of characters.
Note that Allyson is in all red this season, and she and Teller don't make
physical contact when he comes on stage any more. In fact she looks like
she's expecting it, but he makes a wide berth.
I hadn't noticed. I just assumed these were recorded before the shut
down. But I guess they could have resumed filming a few weeks ago.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Penn seemed to be implying that he dropped the
peanut into a container but didn’t really challenge him one way or the
other. I'm not sure why Penn didn’t do more of a definitive guess. But
the magician managed to fool them.
I didn't get this at all, except I guess Penn's first guess was wrong and he
didn't get a second bite.
He thought the guy dropped the peanut into a container he could get retrieve
it from. I think since the guy was in a box with 26,000 identical packing
peanuts and had the pen that Teller used to make a crude T on one (they
didn't even check the other side of it)
I noticed that. Actually, I thought perhaps they did show the other
side and it was blank.

he just made a new one. How would
Post by anim8rfsk
they know?
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
I didn't notice. Might have been your bad connection. Or I was just
reading along with the CC.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
For the final trick Penn did a magic trick in an attempt to fool Teller.
He had Teller pull a card from a deck then systematically pull out all
the wrong possible cards until he was left with the right card. Penn
(half) fooled Teller.
He completely and totally baffled Teller! Piff said so!!
I didn't get that Teller wasn't in on it until the very end. The whole
time I kept expecting to see Teller do the same trick, but pull the
correct card on the first try. I definitely would have been watching
with a different mindset had I fully realized Teller wasn't in on it
from the start.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
It's hard to know for sure which have been watched and which are just
familiar names since they are so famous and clips of them are constantly
in other mainstream movies and TV shows. I know I've definitely seen
The Breakfast Club a few times, but the other "Brat Pack" movies I'm not
sure about. I don't think I've ever seen "Sixteen Candles" or "Pretty
in Pink" or any of the other "Brat Pack" movies. Although I have seen a
lot of John Hughes movies and it sometimes hard to keep straight which
is which since he also directed Brat Pack movies too.
anim8rfsk
2020-06-30 22:35:13 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Penn seemed to be implying that he dropped the
peanut into a container but didn’t really challenge him one way or the
other. I'm not sure why Penn didn’t do more of a definitive guess. But
the magician managed to fool them.
I didn't get this at all, except I guess Penn's first guess was wrong and he
didn't get a second bite.
He thought the guy dropped the peanut into a container he could get retrieve
it from. I think since the guy was in a box with 26,000 identical packing
peanuts and had the pen that Teller used to make a crude T on one (they
didn't even check the other side of it)
I noticed that. Actually, I thought perhaps they did show the other
side and it was blank.
he just made a new one. How would
Post by anim8rfsk
they know?
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
I've seen Breakfast Club, although in chunks and not in linear order. I've
seen both 16 Candles and Pretty in Pink, one of which deservedly ended
Ringwald's career over her outrageous demands.
Jim G.
2020-07-04 22:43:55 UTC
His Dark Materials (HBO Go) - "Betrayal" (ep. #1.8). OK, I see the
problem here - not only is this virulently "anti-Catholic"
The books are famously anti-Catholic.
Yep. And while I don't automatically let that stop me from watching
something (including PREACHER until Rogen took it too far even for me
and outed his own hatred), Pullman has had a constant chub over
Christianity in general and Catholicism in particular for as long as I
can remember. He's up there with Dawkins in my book, and the irony is
that they're both CoE products but seem to prefer to attack Rome
whenever possible.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
But when they made the movie,
they hired Nicole Kidnam, who herself is Catholic. So the movie toned
the anti-religious aspects from the book way down.
I'll take your word for it.
suzeeq
2020-07-05 00:57:53 UTC
Post by Jim G.
His Dark Materials (HBO Go) - "Betrayal" (ep. #1.8). OK, I see the
problem here - not only is this virulently "anti-Catholic"
The books are famously anti-Catholic.
Yep. And while I don't automatically let that stop me from watching
something (including PREACHER until Rogen took it too far even for me
and outed his own hatred), Pullman has had a constant chub over
Christianity in general and Catholicism in particular for as long as I
can remember. He's up there with Dawkins in my book, and the irony is
that they're both CoE products but seem to prefer to attack Rome
whenever possible.
Well the catholics are evil you know. King Henry said so.
I'll take your word for it.
Jim G.
2020-07-05 21:46:58 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by Jim G.
His Dark Materials (HBO Go) - "Betrayal" (ep. #1.8). OK, I see the
problem here - not only is this virulently "anti-Catholic"
The books are famously anti-Catholic.
Yep. And while I don't automatically let that stop me from watching
something (including PREACHER until Rogen took it too far even for me
and outed his own hatred), Pullman has had a constant chub over
Christianity in general and Catholicism in particular for as long as I
can remember. He's up there with Dawkins in my book, and the irony is
that they're both CoE products but seem to prefer to attack Rome
whenever possible.
Well the catholics are evil you know.
Only to the CoE. To the rest, we're only mostly evil.
Post by suzeeq
King Henry said so.
Take that with a grain of salt. His wives said that he wasn't
trustworthy, but they were all bitter for one reason or another.
suzeeq
2020-07-05 22:13:03 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by suzeeq
Post by Jim G.
His Dark Materials (HBO Go) - "Betrayal" (ep. #1.8). OK, I see the
problem here - not only is this virulently "anti-Catholic"
The books are famously anti-Catholic.
Yep. And while I don't automatically let that stop me from watching
something (including PREACHER until Rogen took it too far even for me
and outed his own hatred), Pullman has had a constant chub over
Christianity in general and Catholicism in particular for as long as I
can remember. He's up there with Dawkins in my book, and the irony is
that they're both CoE products but seem to prefer to attack Rome
whenever possible.
Well the catholics are evil you know.
Only to the CoE.
Right, that's who I was referring to.
The ones that kept their heads or weren't poisoned....
Jim G.
2020-07-06 00:37:55 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by Jim G.
Post by suzeeq
King Henry said so.
Take that with a grain of salt. His wives said that he wasn't
trustworthy, but they were all bitter for one reason or another.
The ones that kept their heads or weren't poisoned....
Sheesh. Kill a wife or three and you get branded forever.