Yoda and Superman
2021-09-13 00:21:37 UTC
I never noticed this before, but in the cue "The Trip to Earth" from
SUPERMAN, John Williams has the strings playing Yoda's Theme. Not sure
why he would have done this. Williams has included Yoda's Theme in other
non-STAR WARS scores before, most notably in E.T. when the kids are out
trick or treating. That made more sense, however, since E.T. was wearing
a Yoda mask. I'm not sure what baby Kal-El zipping through space toward
Earth has to do with Yoda, though. Maybe Williams just likes the tune.
Trip to Earth

Yoda's Theme

Isn’t it the other way around? Superman the movie predates the Empire
strikes back by years.
2021-09-13 05:09:07 UTC
I never noticed this before, but in the cue "The Trip to Earth" from
SUPERMAN, John Williams has the strings playing Yoda's Theme. Not sure
why he would have done this. Williams has included Yoda's Theme in other
non-STAR WARS scores before, most notably in E.T. when the kids are out
trick or treating. That made more sense, however, since E.T. was wearing
a Yoda mask. I'm not sure what baby Kal-El zipping through space toward
Earth has to do with Yoda, though. Maybe Williams just likes the tune.
Trip to Earth
http://youtu.be/TRTAThH3uzY
Yoda's Theme
http://youtu.be/9C8J-jhMtRA
Isn’t it the other way around? Superman the movie predates the Empire
strikes back by years.
So then the question is, what is it about a little elfin green dude that ha
to do with a Kryptonian baby zipping through space...
anim8rfsk
2021-09-13 05:41:18 UTC
I never noticed this before, but in the cue "The Trip to Earth" from
SUPERMAN, John Williams has the strings playing Yoda's Theme. Not sure
why he would have done this. Williams has included Yoda's Theme in other
non-STAR WARS scores before, most notably in E.T. when the kids are out
trick or treating. That made more sense, however, since E.T. was wearing
a Yoda mask. I'm not sure what baby Kal-El zipping through space toward
Earth has to do with Yoda, though. Maybe Williams just likes the tune.
Trip to Earth
http://youtu.be/TRTAThH3uzY
Yoda's Theme
http://youtu.be/9C8J-jhMtRA
Isn’t it the other way around? Superman the movie predates the Empire
strikes back by years.
So then the question is, what is it about a little elfin green dude that has
to do with a Kryptonian baby zipping through space...
And all 28 known galaxies!

2021-09-13 05:57:04 UTC
[...]
What counts as 'knowing' a galaxy? If it's just seeing one through
telescope, we know a shit-ton more than 28 galaxies!
anim8rfsk
2021-09-13 07:30:18 UTC
[...]
What counts as 'knowing' a galaxy? If it's just seeing one through a
telescope, we know a shit-ton more than 28 galaxies!
Since he hast to travel through all of them I would say the definition is
“in our way”
2021-09-13 11:28:22 UTC
In article
I never noticed this before, but in the cue "The Trip to Earth" from
SUPERMAN, John Williams has the strings playing Yoda's Theme. Not sure
why he would have done this. Williams has included Yoda's Theme in other
non-STAR WARS scores before, most notably in E.T. when the kids are out
trick or treating. That made more sense, however, since E.T. was wearing
a Yoda mask. I'm not sure what baby Kal-El zipping through space toward
Earth has to do with Yoda, though. Maybe Williams just likes the tune.
Trip to Earth
http://youtu.be/TRTAThH3uzY
Yoda's Theme
http://youtu.be/9C8J-jhMtRA
Isn¹t it the other way around? Superman the movie predates the Empire
strikes back by years.
So then the question is, what is it about a little elfin green dude that has
to do with a Kryptonian baby zipping through space...
And all 28 known galaxies!
What counts as 'knowing' a galaxy? If it's just seeing one through a
telescope, we know a shit-ton more than 28 galaxies!
Since he hast to travel through all of them I would say the definition is
³in our way²
That distance thing was always ridiculous. Krypton was supposed to
have been about 25-30 lightyears from Earth, which made it more
believable that Jor-El would know about Earth and the conditions here.
But "galaxies away"? How the hell would he have known about Earth?
And there was nowhere closer to send the rocket?

Puzo just threw all that crap in there with no idea what he was talking
about.

BTW in the original stories, Krypton was in our own solar system in
Earth's orbit, but on the other side of the sun where we couldn't see
it.
anim8rfsk
2021-09-13 12:27:12 UTC
In article
[...]
Yep
Post by A Friend
Puzo just threw all that crap in there with no idea what he was talking
about.
I’m not sure how much we can blame on Puzo. If I recall superman 2 the
Donner cut commentary correctly, Mankiewicz re-wrote most of Puzo and they
tossed all of the Newman’s stuff. And then you’ve got Brando just making up
stuff as he goes.
Post by A Friend
BTW in the original stories, Krypton was in our own solar system in
Earth’s orbit, but on the other side of the sun where we couldn’t see
it.
Doppelgänger!!!

2021-09-14 11:52:04 UTC
Isn't it the other way around? Superman the movie predates the Empire
strikes back by years.
So then the question is, what is it about a little elfin green dude
that has to do with a Kryptonian baby zipping through space...
Post by A Friend
Puzo just threw all that crap in there with no idea what he was talking
about.
I'm not sure how much we can blame on Puzo. If I recall superman 2 the
Donner cut commentary correctly, Mankiewicz re-wrote most of Puzo and they
tossed all of the Newman’s stuff. And then you've got Brando just making up
stuff as he goes.
FYI, Danny has a new blog in the style of his Dark Shadows one that begins
with this movie.

https://superheroeseveryday.com/

Trump won.
Nyssa
2021-09-13 14:10:20 UTC
In article
Post by BTR1701
On Sep 12, 2021 at 10:41:18 PM PDT, "anim8rfsk"
Post by BTR1701
On Sep 12, 2021 at 5:21:37 PM PDT, "anim8rfsk"
[...]
the definition is ³in our way²
That distance thing was always ridiculous. Krypton was
supposed to have been about 25-30 lightyears from Earth,
which made it more believable that Jor-El would know about
Earth and the conditions here.
But "galaxies away"? How the hell would he have known
about Earth? And there was nowhere closer to send the
rocket?
Puzo just threw all that crap in there with no idea what
he was talking about.
BTW in the original stories, Krypton was in our own solar
system in Earth's orbit, but on the other side of the sun
where we couldn't see it.
But that explanation wouldn't work for Krypton being
in a solar system with a red sun and then claiming that
the reason Supes got his superpowers was because of
the *yellow* sun in our/his solar system.

At what point did the writers change it from one to
the other?

And besides everyone who has had read the John Norman
Gor series knows that GOR is the world on the opposite
side of the sun than Earth.

Nyssa, who finds it hard to keep up with all of the
recons in the Super-whoever universe these days much
less in the olden days
A Friend
2021-09-13 15:05:12 UTC
Post by Nyssa
Post by A Friend
BTW in the original stories, Krypton was in our own solar
system in Earth's orbit, but on the other side of the sun
where we couldn't see it.
But that explanation wouldn't work for Krypton being
in a solar system with a red sun and then claiming that
the reason Supes got his superpowers was because of
the *yellow* sun in our/his solar system.
At what point did the writers change it from one to
the other?
And besides everyone who has had read the John Norman
Gor series knows that GOR is the world on the opposite
side of the sun than Earth.
Nyssa, who finds it hard to keep up with all of the
recons in the Super-whoever universe these days much
less in the olden days
The explanation of Superman's powers evolved over time, but what's most
important is that Superman is the first super-powered character whose
abilities didn't come from the gods or a magic lantern or something.
Superman's powers were explained by his origins on another, much larger
planet. Co-creator Jerry Siegel had been a big-time science fiction
fan back at the Dawn of Time, and he based Superman on sfnal
principles.

Superman is super because he was born on a high-gravity planet.
Everyone on Krypton was super, but not so super that they could survive
something like the explosion of Krypton. They did have flight,
super-senses and at least some of the other powers.

After WW2, Superman is shown routinely surviving nuclear explosions, so
his origin is tweaked to show that Kryptonians were not super on
Krypton and that Superman's powers come from a combination of Earth's
atmosphere and lower gravity. (One story has it that Earth has only
.03% of Krypton's gravity.) Somewhere in there, they latched onto the
yellow-sun explanation for the powers, especially the sensory ones.

We'll leave aside the impossibility of humanoid creatures surviving on
a planet with 300g gravity and still looking like humans instead of
pancakes with eyes.
BTR1701
2021-09-13 16:44:32 UTC
Post by Nyssa
Post by A Friend
[...]
Why would a high-gravity planet give him X-ray or heat vision or freeze
breath or the ability to fly?
A Friend
2021-09-13 17:10:23 UTC
Post by Nyssa
Post by A Friend
[...]
You cut the bit where I said, "Somewhere in there, they latched onto the
yellow-sun explanation for the powers, especially the sensory ones."
If you want that to make sense, you're going to have to ask them about
it.
BTR1701
2021-09-13 17:26:43 UTC
Post by Nyssa
Post by A Friend
[...]
Sure, but he already had the powers when it was being explained as a
high gravity.
anim8rfsk
2021-09-13 19:24:16 UTC
Post by Nyssa
Post by A Friend
[...]
Flying is easy, or at least leaving a tall building at a single bound. He
can jump 300 times higher than you.

2021-09-13 20:04:02 UTC
In article
Post by Nyssa
Post by A Friend
[...]
Sure, but it would still be a parabola and he wouldn't be able to change
direction midway through the jump.
Ubiquitous
2021-09-14 11:59:05 UTC
Post by Nyssa
Post by A Friend
[...]
At first, he couldn't, but eventually he could change direction in mid-arc
and that eventually became flying. It was an evolving thing. He had other
powers that fell by the wayside.

There's a speach about it on Youtube somewhere...

Trump won.
Ubiquitous

Trump won.
anim8rfsk
2021-09-14 13:15:46 UTC
Post by Nyssa
Post by A Friend
[...]
It turned into flying after they made one fleshier superman cartoon where
he jumped and it looks remarkably stupid.

2021-09-14 15:29:46 UTC
Post by Nyssa
Post by A Friend
[...]
http://youtu.be/8O5R-BplaTU
It turned into flying after they made one fleshier superman cartoons where
he jumped and it looks remarkably stupid.
OK, I can see why they changed it.

Trump won.
A Friend
2021-09-14 16:41:02 UTC
In article
Post by anim8rfsk
It turned into flying after they made one fleshier superman cartoon where
he jumped and it looks remarkably stupid.
That's right. Once again, animation led the way. By 1942 Comics Supes
was yelling at Mxyztplk, "I thought I was the only man who could fly!"
anim8rfsk
2021-09-15 00:27:49 UTC
In article
Post by anim8rfsk
It turned into flying after they made one fleshier superman cartoon where
he jumped and it looks remarkably stupid.
That's right. Once again, animation led the way. By 1942 Comics Supes
was yelling at Mxyztplk, "I thought I was the only man who could fly!"
As seen tonight on \S/tupidgirl!

2021-09-15 08:37:21 UTC
It turned into flying after they made one fleshier superman cartoon where
he jumped and it looks remarkably stupid.
That's right. Once again, animation led the way. By 1942 Comics Supes
was yelling at Mxyztplk, "I thought I was the only man who could fly!"
As seen tonight on \S/tupidgirl!
I'd think you were joking, were it not Stupidgirl.

--
Trump won.

Ubiquitous

Trump won.
BTR1701
2021-09-13 16:42:20 UTC
In article
[...]
And how would Kryptonite have ever reached earth from an exploding
Krypton? Even at 25-30 light years, it would have taken a 100 million
years or so for debris from the planet to arrive. If it was 20 or more
galaxies distant, we're talking time that would rival the age of the
universe to get here.
Then why would the yellow sun have given him powers?
anim8rfsk
2021-09-13 19:24:15 UTC
In article
Post by A Friend
BTW in the original stories, Krypton was in our own solar system in
Earth's orbit, but on the other side of the sun where we couldn't see
it.
Then why would the yellow sun have given him powers?
Hotter and brighter. Blue dwarfs give humans the same powers yellow suns
give Kryptonians. Oddly blue dwarfs don’t seem to double up kryptonian
powers.

2021-09-13 20:05:31 UTC
In article
In article
Post by A Friend
BTW in the original stories, Krypton was in our own solar system in
Earth's orbit, but on the other side of the sun where we couldn't see
it.
Then why would the yellow sun have given him powers?
Hotter and brighter. Blue dwarfs give humans the same powers yellow suns
give Kryptonians. Oddly blue dwarfs don’t seem to double up kryptonian
powers.
But if Krypton is just on the other side of the sun from us, then they
would have evolved under the yellow sun just like us.
Dimensional Traveler
2021-09-14 01:07:58 UTC
In article
[...]
The comics people have long since said that a bunch of kryptonite
followed Kal-El through the space warp through which Kal-El's rocket
came to Earth, which is why there's so much kryptonite around this part
of space.
Just want to point out to others that the galaxies-away thing comes
from the first movie. It was stupid then, and it's still stupid. It
was never a comics thing. The old comics were written and edited by
pulp-sf guys who knew better.
BTW in the original stories, Krypton was in our own solar system in
Earth's orbit, but on the other side of the sun where we couldn't see
it.
Then why would the yellow sun have given him powers?
The yellow sun did not give him powers in those early stories. He got
them from Earth's atmosphere and lighter gravity. How those might give
you x-ray vision, though, I can't tell you.
The same way being bitten by a radioactive spider gives you a
precognitive "danger sense".
dirty old man.
A Friend
Science!
trotsky
Sure, because you inhabit a reality where Krypton exists, right?
trotsky
2021-09-13 12:15:28 UTC
I never noticed this before,
Color me shocked.