My EPG is lying to me
2021-06-07 20:57:47 UTC
My EPG is suddenly acting like it thinks it's Donald Trump. This started
about a week ago. The piece of Cox shit suddenly turned into a pathological
liar. I go to tune in Mayday I get Highway through Hell. I go to tune in
Into the Storm I get Twister. I go to tune in The Day after Tomorrow I get
I Am Legend. I go to tune in Volcano I get DC's Legends of Tomorrow. I go
to tune in Star Trek TOS S2E23 "The Omega Glory" I get ... I don't know
what the hell I get, but it definitely isn't "The Omega Glory", or even
Star Trek.

Basically I'm flying completely blind now. The worst bit is, a lot of
these things (including Mayday and Star Trek) are in their *normal time
slots* on channels that have aired them regularly in those time slots
for literally years. And when I try to tune them in I get something else,
but with the correct station bug for the channel it should be on.

What it looks like is, the networks have decided (all at the same time,
so collectively, so where are the antitrust lawsuits? Isn't that equivalent
to price fixing? Alleged competitors aren't supposed to be cooperatively
coordinating their behavior in ANY way, right?) to completely rearrange
all of their schedules, AND they have done ... something to prevent these
changes being communicated to customers through the EPGs on their DVRs.
It's like it's the 1980s all over again, the only way to find out what's
on is flipping channels, and the only way not to miss anything important
is to do it every hour, 24 hours a day, and never sleep ... unless you have
the hard drive space to record 24 hours of every channel every day. And
then you'd still have to search through all of it, and every single item
would be mislabeled ...

I don't suppose firing Cox and going back to AT&T UVerse would solve this,
would it? Not if the real source of the problem is the networks?
Ian J. Ball
2021-06-07 23:33:12 UTC
Fuck off, seamus