[Blowjob teacher...] Ghislaine Maxwell, Jeffrey Epstein and the women who abuse other women
Leroy N. Soetoro
2020-07-04 00:41:01 UTC
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/ghislaine-maxwell-jeffrey-epstein-
women-who-abuse-other-women-ncna1232850

Ghislaine Maxwell, Jeffrey Epstein's right-hand woman, was arrested
Thursday in connection with Epstein's sex trafficking scheme, which
included the sexual exploitation of underage girls. According to the
indictment, Maxwell helped Epstein "recruit, groom, and ultimately abuse
victims" who both Epstein and Maxwell knew were children, some as young as
14.

The indictment is detailed and damning. Prosecutors accuse Maxwell of
befriending the girls, sometimes taking them shopping or to the movies,
and of encouraging them to accept Epstein's financial assistance.
Prosecutors allege that she would talk about sex in front of the girls,
undress in front of them, massage Epstein herself and push the girls to
massage him with everyone involved in various states of undress.

All of this, prosecutors say, was an effort to groom the girls for abuse
at Epstein's hands: Maxwell helped to "normalize sexual abuse," which
enabled Epstein to abuse his teenage victims; she was present for some of
the abuse and even participated in it; and, the indictment says, her
"presence during minor victims' interactions with Epstein, including
interactions where the minor victim was undressed or that involved sex
acts with Epstein, helped put the victims at ease because an adult woman
was present."

Want more articles like this? Follow THINK on Instagram to get updates on
the week's most important cultural analysis
The Ghislaine Maxwell story fascinates us not only because it involves
some of the world's most powerful people, but also because her role is so
unusual and her motives so incomprehensible. It simply doesn't comport
with our understanding of who commits sex crimes and how women behave. And
to be fair, there's good reason for that: Men are many, many times more
likely than women to sexually assault and abuse others. Women like Maxwell
are rare.

Ghislaine Maxwell, accused of being Jeffrey Epstein's accomplice, is
arrested
JULY 2, 202002:13
But that doesn't mean they're nonexistent or that actions like those
Maxwell is accused of are unprecedented. If Maxwell was as effective a
manipulator and groomer of girls as the indictment suggests, it's for the
same reason she's such a difficult character for the public to understand:
We don't expect adult women to sexually prey on girls; we expect that, if
an adult woman is in the room with vulnerable teenage girls, any men
present will behave better. We expect women to moderate men's bad acts,
not abet them.

But if we want to understand what exactly happened — if we want to
understand not just Maxwell but also the complicated reality of sexual
violence and exploitation — we have to cut through the stereotypes and
clichés that cut both ways. We can and should expect men to behave
decently, and when they don't, it isn't the fault of female temptation or
lack of female oversight. And on the flip side, women aren't always
victims or temptresses, and they are perfectly (and hideously) capable of
behaving badly on their own accord — including engaging in calculated
violence against other women.

The crux of the public fixation on Maxwell is this: If she committed the
crimes she's accused of, what in the world did she get out of helping
Epstein abuse teenagers? Maxwell was already a wealthy and well-connected
socialite when she met Epstein; she didn't want for money, and according
to prosecutors, she has millions at her disposal. She dated Epstein but
continued to assist him after their romantic relationship ended. She
wasn't turning a blind eye to a husband's bad acts to maintain a marital
fiction; she is alleged to have understood everything and helped it all to
happen.

E. Jean Carroll, a writer who says Donald Trump sexually assaulted her,
cleverly tweeted a photo of Trump and his wife, Melania, standing next to
Epstein and Maxwell with the comment "One of these women has protected a
man who's been accused of sexual assault by 24 women. The other is
Ghislaine Maxwell."

Carroll is generalizing a bit — Trump has been accused of sexual
misconduct in various forms, including assault, by about two dozen women.
But she is correct in her assessment that women have stood by and covered
for male abusers since time immemorial. Some of those women are abused
themselves, sticking with awful men because they have few options and have
been so psychologically broken down that leaving feels impossible.

Too often, women who are themselves victims are held criminally
responsible for their male partners' actions — some have been accused of
failing to protect their children from men who abuse them, too. Others
have faced criminal charges for fighting back against being beaten or
raped. We continue to blame women for the bad actions of men, even when
those women were also targets. But at least we increasingly have language,
and a narrative, for these cases: the abuser and the victim.

Federal officials: Ghislaine Maxwell played 'critical role' in Jeffrey
Epstein sex abuse ring
JULY 2, 202002:30
Other women may not be abused themselves, but they are partnered with men
who are exceptional liars and manipulators, and these women may believe
their male partners when they proclaim their innocence. The women may be
willfully ignorant or perhaps naive, gullible and grossly credulous, or
they may be, simply, complicated human beings who find their reason
clouded by emotion after they're drawn into the web of a particularly
cunning person. Whatever the explanation, we also slot these women into a
mundane role in a recognizable story: the Svengali and the naïf.

Other women who stand by bad men may be much less sympathetic, but they
are nonetheless walking well-trodden ground. Melania Trump, to use E. Jean
Carroll's example, is a familiar archetype: the greedy, insecure and
unscrupulous woman who has clear incentives to act as a shield to her
wealthier, more powerful husband. Without him, her social stature,
financial bounty and privileged lifestyle would suffer. It's not like
she's a victim; when you marry a man famous for cheating, who has long
been unapologetically and publicly misogynist, you know what you're
signing up for.

There's little evidence that Melania Trump objects to her husband's
degrading comments or that she expects him to behave any better than he
does. A troubling number of men seem to think that women's bodies are
simply part of an entitlement package that comes with being born male, and
a troubling number of women seem to agree — or at least to believe that
men can't help themselves or shouldn't face serious consequences for
sexual misdeeds. Men like Trump also give the women who stay with them
convenient defenses: It didn't happen; all these women, and maybe even the
media, are just out to get him. Melania Trump becomes, fairly or not, a
one-dimensional villain in another clichéd story: the rich guy and the
unscrupulous gold digger.

We can recognize and understand, even if we disapprove of and are
disgusted by, wives and girlfriends who enable men like Trump. We can
certainly extend empathy to women who are abused and terrorized by their
male partners and who, as a result, feel powerless when it comes to their
partners' hurting others. And, of course, we can avoid sexist tropes that
make women responsible for what the men in their lives do while still
holding women accountable for the choices they make. Melania Trump has
chosen to cover for her husband, which is indeed odious. But there is no
evidence that, as loathsome as she is, she set women up for her husband to
assault.

None of this appears to apply to Maxwell. If the allegations are true, she
wasn't simply looking the other way in the manner of so many wives,
girlfriends, friends and associates of abusive men for all of human
history. She hasn't claimed to have been abused or coerced. She wasn't
dependent on Epstein. She is certainly not naive. Maxwell is often talked
about as an "enabler," which is technically accurate, but she is accused
of doing much more than simply allowing Epstein to abuse children — not
just allowing the abuse to happen under her nose, but participating in it.

We may never understand Maxwell's motivations. But it would be a good
start to step away from the clichés and easy categories if we want to
understand female aiders, abettors and enablers of men's sex crimes, or
women at all. Women, it turns out, are just as complicated as men. And
just as men are as capable as the stereotypical adult woman of temperance,
nurturing and decency, women are as capable as men of genius and
greatness, of naivete and stupidity — and of abuse, exploitation and evil.

truck.

of the Obama presidency.

queer liberal democrat donors.

President Trump has boosted the economy, reduced illegal immigration,
appointed dozens of judges and created jobs.

Senile loser and NAMBLA supporter Nancy Pelosi got "Trumped" on February
5, 2020. "President Trump, Not Guilty."
RichA
2020-07-04 00:57:09 UTC
And despite Bill Clinton taking what, 23 trips on Epstein's jet, the "Lolita Express" he's not mentioned in the article...