[NEWS] 'Event Horizon' TV series in development (sci-fi horror)
Add Reply
Your Name
2019-08-06 03:55:33 UTC
From ComingSoon.net ...

Event Horizon TV Series in Development at Amazon
Variety reports that a TV adaptation of the cult sci-fi horror
movie Event Horizon is in development at Amazon with Paramount
Television.

Adam Wingard (The Guest, You're Next, the upcoming Godzilla vs
Kong) will executive produce the series, and the outlet reports
may direct. Original producers Larry Gordon and Lloyd Levin
will executive produce alongside Jeremy Platt.

Directed by Paul W. S. Anderson, Event Horizon debuted in
theaters in 1997 as a box office bomb and a critical flop. In
that time, the film has gained favor with fans around the world
and become a cult film. Boasting an ensemble cast by today's
standards, the original film starred Laurence Fishburne, Sam
Neill, Kathleen Quinlan, Joely Richardson, Richard T. Jones,
Jason Isaacs and Sean Pertwee.

The year is 2047. Years earlier, the pioneering research vessel
Event Horizon vanished without a trace. Now a signal from it
has been detected, and the United States Aerospace Command
responds. Hurtling toward the signal's source are a fearless
captain (Fishburne), his elite crew and the lost ship's
designer (Neill). Their mission: find and salvage the
state-of-the-art spacecraft. What they find is state-of-the-art
interstellar terror. What they must salvage are their own lives,
because someone or something is ready to ensnare them in a new
dimension of unimaginable fear.

This marks yet another collaboration between Paramount
Television and Amazon previously collaborated on the hit Tom
Clancy's Jack Ryan.

<https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1089317-event-horizon-tv-series-in-development-at-amazon>
Michael OConnor
2019-08-06 06:18:12 UTC
I think I'll pass. The movie told a complete story, and the Event Horizon was destroyed at the end of the movie. I suppose you could do a limited series about the backstory of the disastrous first voyage of the Event Horizon, but you already know going in everybody on the ship is going to die horrible deaths, and I don't think that would be interesting. I can't see them sending another mission back to find out what happened to the mission to investigate what happened to the Event Horizon. There is a point when you should leave well enough alone, but Hollywood doesn't ever seem to understand that.
shawn
2019-08-06 12:06:19 UTC
On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 23:18:12 -0700 (PDT), Michael OConnor
Post by Michael OConnor
I think I'll pass. The movie told a complete story, and the Event Horizon was destroyed at the end of the movie.
I suppose you could do a limited series about the backstory of the disastrous first voyage of the Event Horizon,
but you already know going in everybody on the ship is going to die horrible deaths, and I don't think that
would be interesting. I can't see them sending another mission back to find out what happened to the mission
to investigate what happened to the Event Horizon. There is a point when you should leave well enough alone,
but Hollywood doesn't ever seem to understand that.
I am thinking the same thoughts. It's hard to see what a TV show could
add to the movie. I suppose they could do a reboot/retelling with a
different ending but then it's not really EVENT HORIZON.
anim8rfsk
2019-08-06 15:22:54 UTC
On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 23:18:12 -0700 (PDT), Michael OConnor
I think I'll pass. The movie told a complete story, and the Event Horizon
was destroyed at the end of the movie.
I suppose you could do a limited series about the backstory of the
disastrous first voyage of the Event Horizon,
but you already know going in everybody on the ship is going to die
horrible deaths, and I don't think that
would be interesting. I can't see them sending another mission back to find
out what happened to the mission
to investigate what happened to the Event Horizon. There is a point when
you should leave well enough alone,
but Hollywood doesn't ever seem to understand that.
I am thinking the same thoughts. It's hard to see what a TV show could
add to the movie. I suppose they could do a reboot/retelling with a
different ending but then it's not really EVENT HORIZON.
Yeah, this will be another show using nothing but the title.
2019-08-06 16:20:55 UTC
[...]
But, iirc, the movie didn't use much of its buzzword title, either...
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
Jim G.
2019-08-06 19:20:30 UTC
[...]

I assume that you're referring to the two words themselves and not to
the ship of that name where the vast majority of the action took place,
including almost 100% of the creepy and scary and gory stuff. It
couldn't have played a more central role than that!

It also alludes to the fact that the ship had FTL capabilities via an
experimental engine that ultimately created a rift in spacetime that
sent the ship to...someplace, where The Evil entered the equation. So
there's a lot of "event horizon" relevance there, as well.
"I'm really glad we're at this place in our relationship where we can
dig up graves together without having to talk." -- Major Lillywhite, iZOMBIE
moviePig
2019-08-07 13:36:51 UTC
Post by Jim G.
[...]
I'm referring to the actual meaning of the phrase (which I believe is
actually pretty popularly understood). But I don't fault them for using
it. For one thing, it'd be pretty hard to base a story on a theoretical
edge of knowability at the quantum scale. So, I meant above more to
point out an irony than to be snarky. (And I'd actually forgotten the
ship's name.)
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
Adam H. Kerman
2019-08-07 18:55:18 UTC
Post by Jim G.
[...]
Doesn't the fact that in every single goddam followup you have to
explain what you meant and how you were misunderstood in the previous
followup clue you in that everyone understands taht you don't use words
to communicate? So knock it the fuck off?
Bice
2019-08-06 21:07:24 UTC
Post by Your Name
Event Horizon TV Series in Development at Amazon
Directed by Paul W. S. Anderson, Event Horizon debuted in
theaters in 1997 as a box office bomb and a critical flop.
Yeah, because it was a complete piece of garbage.

One of the most disappointing and flat-out stupid "sci-fi" films I've
ever seen. Can't belive it actually has enough fans to turn it into a
TV series.

-- Bob
Your Name
2019-08-07 06:17:45 UTC
Post by Bice
Post by Your Name
Event Horizon TV Series in Development at Amazon
Directed by Paul W. S. Anderson, Event Horizon debuted in
theaters in 1997 as a box office bomb and a critical flop.
Yeah, because it was a complete piece of garbage.
One of the most disappointing and flat-out stupid "sci-fi" films I've
ever seen. Can't belive it actually has enough fans to turn it into a
TV series.
It's Hollyweird ... it doesn't need fans. They're simply digging
through all their old products trying to find anything they can
"reboot" or "revive", and 90% of the time they bear almost no
recognisable resemblance to the original anyway.
David Johnston
It doesn't. But Buffy was a crap movie that turned into a good TV series.
A Friend
Ditto for ALIEN NATION.
Bice
2019-08-09 11:56:59 UTC
Post by David Johnston
Post by Bice
Post by Your Name
Event Horizon TV Series in Development at Amazon
Directed by Paul W. S. Anderson, Event Horizon debuted in
theaters in 1997 as a box office bomb and a critical flop.
Yeah, because it was a complete piece of garbage.
One of the most disappointing and flat-out stupid "sci-fi" films I've
ever seen. Can't belive it actually has enough fans to turn it into a
TV series.
-- Bob
It doesn't. But Buffy was a crap movie that turned into a good TV series.
Ditto for ALIEN NATION.
Alien Nation at least had a premise that could work as a weekly show
(and even then it didn't last long).

The premise of Event Horizon (SPOLIER ALERT) is that a missing
spaceship comes back from hell(!), possesses the rescue crew sent to
check it out and makes them kill each other in increasingly gorey
ways. Doesn't seem like something that would work as an ongoing
series. You'd think after the third or fourth missing crew, someone
would figure out that they should just leave that ship alone.

-- Bob
BTR1701
Or nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Jerry Brown
2019-08-09 17:29:24 UTC
Post by Bice
Post by Your Name
Event Horizon TV Series in Development at Amazon
Directed by Paul W. S. Anderson, Event Horizon debuted in
theaters in 1997 as a box office bomb and a critical flop.
Yeah, because it was a complete piece of garbage.
One of the most disappointing and flat-out stupid "sci-fi" films I've
ever seen. Can't belive it actually has enough fans to turn it into a
TV series.
-- Bob
I'd be more interested in a series about the space coastguard ship
Lewis & Clarke which is sent to salvage Event Horizon. It could be
like Thunderbirds, but with more swearing.
--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)
Ian J. Ball
2019-08-09 17:53:07 UTC
Post by Bice
Post by Your Name
Event Horizon TV Series in Development at Amazon
Directed by Paul W. S. Anderson, Event Horizon debuted in
theaters in 1997 as a box office bomb and a critical flop.
Yeah, because it was a complete piece of garbage.
One of the most disappointing and flat-out stupid "sci-fi" films I've
ever seen. Can't belive it actually has enough fans to turn it into a
TV series.
-- Bob
Cool - glad I'm not the only one who despises this film.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I vastly prefer 2000's
"Supernova" to this POS "movie"...
2019-08-09 18:17:35 UTC
Post by Bice
Post by Your Name
Event Horizon TV Series in Development at Amazon
Directed by Paul W. S. Anderson, Event Horizon debuted in
theaters in 1997 as a box office bomb and a critical flop.
Yeah, because it was a complete piece of garbage.
One of the most disappointing and flat-out stupid "sci-fi" films I've
ever seen. Can't belive it actually has enough fans to turn it into a
TV series.
-- Bob
Cool - glad I'm not the only one who despises this film.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I vastly prefer 2000's
"Supernova" to this POS "movie"...
Which is the one where the big finish is the protagonist has two different
color eyes?
2019-08-10 06:23:51 UTC
The movie was beyond most who saw it. The TV series will be "dumbed-down."