Angry over diversity in children's show, NRA TV depicts 'Thomas & Friends' in KKK hoods
Add Reply
Bradley K. Sperman
2018-09-14 00:09:52 UTC
Using a jarring image to blast increased diversity on a
children's TV show, a National Rifle Association online show
depicted characters from "Thomas & Friends" in white, Ku Klux
Klan-style hoods on burning train tracks.

Host of NRA TV's "Relentless," Dana Loesch went after the
classic children's character Thomas The Tank Engine after its
maker, Mattel, joined forces with the United Nations in efforts
to increase gender diversity and representation on the program
and include new characters from around the globe.

Loesch, a conservative spokeswomen for the gun rights group,
specifically called out one new character – Nia, a steam engine
from Kenya.

"That's where it gets really strange to me," Loesch says on
Friday's episode. "Am I to understand this entire time that
Thomas and his trains were white? Because they all have gray
faces. How do you bring ethnic diversity? I mean they had to
paint what I guess they thought was some sort of African pattern
on the side of Nia's engine."

The program cut to an image with three trains wearing white
hoods and tracks on fire. "Fair, I get it," Loesch sarcastically
says. "Thomas the Tank Engine has been a blight on race
relations for far too long. Clearly this is overdue."

The NRA did not immediately respond to USA TODAY's request for
comment.

Mattel announced Friday that "Thomas & Friends," a Nick Jr.
show, would add characters to its newest season from around the
world and partner with the UN to promote its Sustainable
Development Goals.

Thomas & Friends
?
@ThomasFriends
We've teamed up with the @UN to teach families about the
Sustainable Development Goals! We hope to inspire the next
generation of global citizens, and start meaningful
conversations and learning between children and parents.
#AllAboardForGlobalGoals http://bit.ly/2NY2zk6

9:42 AM - Sep 7, 2018
224
101 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy

In the new season, Thomas will travel from his fictional home
Sodor for the first time in the series to visit China, India and
Australia, Mattel said. More female characters will also be
represented, the company added.

"This change will deepen the brand's engagement with girls who
represent over 40% of the show's viewership and provide a strong
message of gender equality to the young audience," Mattel said
in a statement.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/09/12/nra-tv-
dana-loesch-thomas-tank-engine-kkk-hood/1286727002/
Scout
2018-09-14 00:26:28 UTC
Post by Bradley K. Sperman
Using a jarring image to blast increased diversity on a
children's TV show, a National Rifle Association online show
depicted characters from "Thomas & Friends" in white, Ku Klux
Klan-style hoods on burning train tracks.
They're Nazarenos, also called Penitentes (penitent ones). They wear tall
pointed caps with hoods called capirotes as a sign of their penitence.
They come in all sorts of colours and colour combinations including all
white.

Apparently the creators in the UK are failure with such priests, as they are
reasonably common throughout Europe.

Once again we see a case of people assuming the worst because they are
ignorant of the reality.

---
https://www.avg.com
Byker
2018-09-14 13:11:44 UTC
Spain, I believe: https://tinyurl.com/y792f334
Scout
2018-09-14 23:23:00 UTC
Post by Byker
Apparently the creators in the UK are familiar with such priests, as they
are reasonably common throughout Europe.
Spain, I believe: https://tinyurl.com/y792f334
The shows creators are in the UK, the priests are most found in Spain.
Spain is a popular holiday spot for UK'ers on holiday.

---
https://www.avg.com
Nancy2
2018-09-15 02:16:48 UTC
People thinking the Thomas program's white hoods are KKK probably also don't recognize that zig-zag
line logo was a Native American design long before the Nazis hijacked it.

N.
Rhino
2018-09-15 03:33:55 UTC
Post by Nancy2
People thinking the Thomas program's white hoods are KKK probably also don't recognize that zig-zag
line logo was a Native American design long before the Nazis hijacked it.
The swastika is an *ancient* symbol, originating in India in about 500 BC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

I suppose it's possible native Americans had the symbol even earlier but
I'm not sure how you'd prove it unless it was carved in something that
could be carbon-dated.
Himler
2018-09-26 03:45:01 UTC
Post by Scout
Post by Bradley K. Sperman
Using a jarring image to blast increased diversity on a
children's TV show, a National Rifle Association online show
depicted characters from "Thomas & Friends" in white, Ku Klux
Klan-style hoods on burning train tracks.
They're Nazarenos, also called Penitentes (penitent ones). They wear
tall pointed caps with hoods called capirotes as a sign of their
penitence. They come in all sorts of colours and colour combinations
including all white.
Apparently the creators in the UK are failure with such priests, as
they are reasonably common throughout Europe.
Once again we see a case of people assuming the worst because they are
ignorant of the reality.
Some deliberately choose to be ignorant.

RichA
2018-09-14 03:37:06 UTC
Post by Bradley K. Sperman
Using a jarring image to blast increased diversity on a
children's TV show, a National Rifle Association online show
depicted characters from "Thomas & Friends" in white, Ku Klux
Klan-style hoods on burning train tracks.
Host of NRA TV's "Relentless," Dana Loesch went after the
classic children's character Thomas The Tank Engine after its
maker, Mattel, joined forces with the United Nations in efforts
to increase gender diversity and representation on the program
and include new characters from around the globe.
Loesch, a conservative spokeswomen for the gun rights group,
specifically called out one new character – Nia, a steam engine
from Kenya.
Yeah, a train built by Europeans, but falling apart along with its tracks, thanks to "liberation" from "evil" colonialists.