Unsuccessful with Comcast
2019-03-05 20:28:29 UTC
This morning, I tried to do something about my mother's Comcast bill.
She pays Comcast thousands a year as she subscribes to a lot of tv
channels. There are always discounts to renegotiate.

I could get just a minor reduction in her bill, $13 a month. I was going
to take it when they asked me to confirm that she'd be put into a 24
month contract with $220 cancellation penalty (although that drops each
month of the contract). I said she'd never been in a contact before to
get discounts, when I was informed that she was currently in a contract
that was ending April 12, when all her discounts would expire. If she
unsubscribed, she'd owe a cancellation penalty of $10 a month, so $20.

I'd kept my temper up to that point, but I was livid. I told him that he
failed to inform me that what I was negotiating for was a new contract
period and I told him that the current contract was unconscionable as
she'd had several rate increases DURING the contract. Comcast may keep
the package price fixed, but they take things out of the package and add
surcharges or drop channels.

I stated my position that the contract isn't legitimate if one party
cannot exit the contract without penalty but the other party is free to
raise rates with impugnity.

He didn't care when I informed him that I'd file a complaint with the
state attorney general consumer protection bureau.

I asked for a complete refund of 24 months of surcharges for Broadcast
Fee and Regional Sports Fee. She isn't going to get it but we may
receive a callback from a higher up in customer service who might be
willing to make a better offer.

I'd still like her to get an outside antenna but she's always been
reluctant. I think a previous homeowner had one, but it was gone by the
time she moved in. There were two small-dish satellite dishes up there
from a previous homeowner, finally discared by the roofer.
Ed Stasiak
2019-03-05 21:24:25 UTC
I'd still like her to get an outside antenna but she's always been
reluctant. I think a previous homeowner had one, but it was gone
by the time she moved in. There were two small-dish satellite
dishes up there from a previous homeowner, finally discared by
the roofer.
An in-door rabbit ears antenna works fine for me and I get a clearer
picture (due to digital broadcast) then I ever got with cable tv but if
you feel the need for a full-size old school style tv antenna, mount
it up in the attic.

No need to drill holes into the roof or walls from the outside, you can
easily drop the antenna wire down between the interior wall studs into
the living room or where ever and being up in the attic, it’s protected
from the weather.

2019-03-05 22:18:30 UTC
I'd still like her to get an outside antenna but she's always been
reluctant. I think a previous homeowner had one, but it was gone
by the time she moved in. There were two small-dish satellite
dishes up there from a previous homeowner, finally discared by
the roofer.
An in-door rabbit ears antenna works fine for me and I get a clearer
picture (due to digital broadcast) then I ever got with cable tv but if
you feel the need for a full-size old school style tv antenna, mount
it up in the attic. . . .
It would be quite simple to mount it on the roof. There are already
holes in the outside wall where coax and out-of-service telephone wire
enter, plus all those other holes used to connect the removed small-dish
satellite receivers. New coax would simply follow a downspout and cross
a portion of the roof. The antenna is easily (well, by someone not me
who has falling-off-the-roof workmans' comp insurance) mounted to the
chimney.

I've tried running 300 ohm antenna wire inside to see where an indoor
antenna might be mounted but reception sucks. As she's got line-of-sight
to Hancock (where some of the broadcast antennas are) and probably Sears
(where the rest of the broadcast antennas are), outdoor antenna is the
way to go. But she'd have to agree to it.
j***@hotmail.com
2019-03-07 01:34:56 UTC
[...]
My decades of savings now totals gazillions of dollars. I put a signal amp on my antenna. No wonder comcast changed their name brand to xfinity.

Amy Poehler's groveling in comcast ads is really sad :(
anim8rfsk
2019-03-05 21:49:56 UTC
[...]
Good luck on that.

The COX is constantly advertising that they don't have contracts at all and
constantly trying to get me to agree to a contract.
2019-03-05 22:46:23 UTC
On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 20:28:29 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
They all want to get you into a contract. You can negotiate a better
price even without a contract but it will be a bit more. Last time I
talked with Comcast I negotiated a deal of about $179 for everything
(fees/taxes/services) for Digital Starter/Internet Plus/Phone service
with no contract. I could have saved $10/month if I went to a 2 year
contract. Though I had to go to the retention dept and tell them I was
ready to walk to get the deal.

Glad I didn't go for the contract as a few month later ATT offered
Uverse Fiber here so I got more channels/faster speed and phone for
$128. It was actually $125 but they bumped up the broadcast fee and
regional sports fees. They always put those fees as outside of the
contracted price but at least AT&T actually includes the fees in the
quoted price unlike Comcast.

One thing I should also add is that they started offering me even
better pricing if I would switch back just a month after I left that
was the same as AT&T but didn't include the hardware pricing so it was
actually more than AT&T but cheaper than they offered before.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
I stated my position that the contract isn't legitimate if one party
cannot exit the contract without penalty but the other party is free to
raise rates with impugnity.
I suspect you will find that the contract is only for the basic
services and all the extra fees are outside of the contract but have
to be paid to keep the service.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
He didn't care when I informed him that I'd file a complaint with the
state attorney general consumer protection bureau.
He's a customer service drone. Threats like that might impact the
company but he's not directly impacted by it.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
I asked for a complete refund of 24 months of surcharges for Broadcast
Fee and Regional Sports Fee. She isn't going to get it but we may
receive a callback from a higher up in customer service who might be
willing to make a better offer.
I'd still like her to get an outside antenna but she's always been
reluctant. I think a previous homeowner had one, but it was gone by the
time she moved in. There were two small-dish satellite dishes up there
from a previous homeowner, finally discared by the roofer.
Depending on where she is located the antenna may work well.
Unfortunately for me my apartment faces south while most of the
antennas are to the west of me so I can only pick up a few of the
20-30 channels available and only ABC out of the broadcast networks.
Don't think even one of those huge indoor antennas (about 3 feet long)
would help that much as the signal would have to pass through multiple
buildings in the complex as well as trees.

TL:DR; Contract likely only includes basic services
(TV/Phone/Internet) and none of the additional fees. To get the best
price talk to the retention dept and negotiate hard. Works best if you
have an alternative to switch to.

Also helps if you know what the best price available for new customers
for the same service. Retention can give a current customer that price
but they will do their best to avoid doing so. I would always call up
after my contract was up and negotiate a better price even when I
didn't have an equivalent service available for me to switch to.
anim8rfsk
2019-03-05 23:35:45 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
My Cox is desperate to bundle. They won't deal on TV or Interweb unless I add
my phone. Then the savings is huge - I'd be paying less than I am now for
just TV and Interweb, plus I wouldn't be paying Century Link anything.
Problem is, Cox phone doesn't work if you need more than one phone jack, like
for a burglar alarm.
2019-03-05 23:21:28 UTC
Wow. Just got an email telling me they made changes to the account,
raising prices significantly versus just letting the current contract my
mother is in end on April 12. It was all prorated at the new higher
price effective today.
anim8rfsk
2019-03-06 06:15:09 UTC
Wow. Just got an email telling me they made changes to the account,
raising prices significantly versus just letting the current contract my
mother is in end on April 12. It was all prorated at the new higher
price effective today.
snarl
Had to wait on hold for a really really long time to get a deal for my
mother that costs approximately what she's paying right now; some deal.
She's not in contract.

I couldn't get the supervisor to offer a bigger discount on the triple
play bundle, but she did offer an immediately credit of $49.95, so
that's something. She appeared to be sympathetic that the service was
changed without my permission.

I am waiting for a call back from a higher up Comcast rep since I did
file the complaint with the state attorney general consumer complaint
division. I will have a long discussion with him about how my mother was
not protected against substantial rate increases during the contract
period. That was outrageous.

This was a truly unproductive day.
anim8rfsk
2019-03-06 13:55:55 UTC
[...]
:(

I've had fights like that with my Cox. They simply made the appropriate
records vanish.
2019-03-13 07:30:48 UTC
[...]
My mother showed me her current bill. The bill acknowledged that the
payment was posted but the promised $49.95 credit was NOT there.

Surprise surprise
anim8rfsk
2019-03-13 14:25:35 UTC
[...]
If they're like Cox, you'll find they've lost all records of any previous
communications with you as well.

You seriously have to record your conversations with these 'people'
w***@post.com
Or when you call them, you could first ask with whom you are speaking and their operating number. Then post their names here along with what they told you and when they told you it (and please tell them you are doing so).
anim8rfsk
2019-03-13 19:29:30 UTC
Wed, 13 Mar 2019 11:50:01 -0700
Post by w***@post.com
[...]
That doesn't work. I had the name and number of the Cox representative I
spoke to, and they simply denied there was any record of my having called
before, even though the person I talked to before that admitted that there
was.

I did get away with the "I'm posting this" threat/promise once, when I spent
an hour and a half on the phone with Sparklett's water over phony charges. I
have no idea if my telling her that I was posting the conversation on
Facebook as we spoke helped or not, but they did finally make the phony
charges go away.
2019-03-13 18:54:13 UTC
[...]
Yup

That's what happened this morning.
anim8rfsk
2019-03-13 19:34:42 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
You seriously have to record your conversations with these 'people'
Sorry man. Trying to hold cable companies to their word is a regular
Kobiyashi Maru.
2019-03-15 00:12:20 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
You seriously have to record your conversations with these 'people'
Sorry man. Trying to hold cable companies to their word is a regular
Kobiyashi Maru.
Here's where we are:

Did I already mention that I had called the consumer bureau of the state
attorney general to find out the status of the complaint from over a
week ago, to learn that they hadn't even assigned it to anyone and it
wasn't even entered into the database? I had filled out a Web form, so
that should have entered it into the database immediately, but all I got
was a reference number. No case was opened.

It takes over a month just to get into the database!

I went through the cable liason at village hall where she lives. A
representative called back yesterday but rattled off his phone number so
quickly in the message he left tha I couldn't understand it and wrote
down one incorrect digit. I had to go through the liason again today.

The liason was a riot, wanting to add "irate subscriber" to the callback
request. I pointed out to her that that's redundant, given most cable
company's level of service to the subscriber.

This time, someone from Comcast did call back and I was able to speak to
her directly.

I calculated the difference in the broadcast fee and regional sports fee
after the January 2018 and January 2019 increases over the 2017 price.
There was a difference of $55. She agreed to credit that.

Also, she agreed to re-instate the $49.95 credit the supervisor on
Tuesday had promised because my mother's account was put into another 24
month contract without consent.

I suppose it'll take a few days for these credits to be reflected in the
billing system but I hope they'll be there in time for her to deduct
them from her next payment.

No, she wouldn't budge on the prices being offered. so my mother is in a
discount for the next 12 months (but Comcast is free to raise prices
outside the bundle price). My mother wanted a fixed price for a longer
period but I reminded her again that the fees outside the bundle could
be raised by Comcast with or without being in a 24 month contract.

There's always the possibility that Comcast will offer a better deal, or
I can talk my mother into having an outdoor antenna installed and just
drop Comcast entirely, or maybe go down to an Internet-only package.

The broadcast fee is on all television service accounts, even those
accounts that are just broadcast television channels.

If a television subscriber takes any package of channels that includes a
satellite channel, then the regional sports fee is imposed.
anim8rfsk
2019-03-15 03:38:06 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
Well, some progress anyway. Good for you.

Some friends of mine who dumped COX a little while ago just had a salesman
show up at their door trying to get them to sign up again!
2019-03-15 03:53:15 UTC
. . .
How are they watching tv? What are they using for Internet access?
shawn
2019-03-15 03:56:49 UTC
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 03:53:15 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
. . .
Some friends of mine who dumped COX a little while ago just had a salesman
show up at their door trying to get them to sign up again!
How are they watching tv? What are they using for Internet access?
That's like Comcast sending me multiple letters offering Internet+TV
for $23/month (not including the various fees and taxes)
anim8rfsk
2019-03-15 04:04:45 UTC
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 03:53:15 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
. . .
Some friends of mine who dumped COX a little while ago just had a salesman
show up at their door trying to get them to sign up again!
How are they watching tv? What are they using for Internet access?
That's like Comcast sending me multiple letters offering Internet+TV
for $23/month (not including the various fees and taxes)
I get the letters and emails constantly, but a real person? At the door?!
2019-03-15 04:26:58 UTC
. . .
Some friends of mine who dumped COX a little while ago just had a salesman
show up at their door trying to get them to sign up again!
How are they watching tv? What are they using for Internet access?
He says

"Nothing exotic. Our TV is DirecTV and Internet is ATT Uverse."
2019-03-15 04:45:12 UTC
. . .
Some friends of mine who dumped COX a little while ago just had a salesman
show up at their door trying to get them to sign up again!
How are they watching tv? What are they using for Internet access?
He says
"Nothing exotic. Our TV is DirecTV and Internet is ATT Uverse."
Sounds like they may have DSL for Uverse. The speeds are more limited
but okay for streaming video.
Adam H. Kerman
2019-03-15 05:13:51 UTC
. . .
Some friends of mine who dumped COX a little while ago just had a salesman
show up at their door trying to get them to sign up again!
How are they watching tv? What are they using for Internet access?
He says
"Nothing exotic. Our TV is DirecTV and Internet is ATT Uverse."
Sounds like they may have DSL for Uverse. The speeds are more limited
but okay for streaming video.
AT&T keeps rebranding everything. At a business address, they had us on
a data-only U-verse account, which got rebranded away from U-verse in
2016. It required a different terminal adapter than when I had AT&T DSL
at home because U-verse provisioned DSL in a different way.

I just looked on their Web site. There's no mention of U-verse, just
AT&T Fiber. When my mother first moved here, she was close enough to the
central office that DSL was possible without a repeater (I forget what
the device is called), but they've been exceedingly slow to deploy those
VLADs (the alien spaceship landing platform) which terminate the fiber.
It's a copper pair for the last 1000 feet or so to the house.

The previous residents had two different small dish satellite services.
There's still a DVR from one of them in the basement.
shawn
2019-03-15 06:16:11 UTC
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 05:13:51 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
. . .
[...]
Yes, they sell it as AT&T Fiber but it's Uverse TV (whether you get it
over Fiber/DSL). We were just able to get the fiber offering back at
the end of November as they started running fiber through the
neighborhood back in the summer. They are apparently making a big push
to run fiber throughout the area. Something that Google never did as
they serve small areas around Atlanta including one a few miles from
me.
anim8rfsk
2019-03-15 11:03:25 UTC
[...]
COX gave up on ever giving us fiber and just renamed their regular service
the same as their fiber service so they could justify their false advertising
that claimed their fiber service was available 'everywhere'
m***@hotmail.com
Yet, I bet that strangely the fiberoptic cables have already been laid in beneath the streets.
shawn
2019-03-15 16:52:51 UTC
Post by m***@hotmail.com
[...]
Sure, any decent sized cable system is going to use fiber for
distribution of their data. It's only when it comes to connecting to
the homes that they tend to switch to coax as it's typically been in
place forever so it's cheaper to just continue using it than it is to
make the fiber run to each home.
Adam H. Kerman
2019-03-15 17:13:49 UTC
Post by m***@hotmail.com
Post by m***@hotmail.com
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 05:13:51 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
Post by Adam H. Kerman
On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 21:26:58 -0700, anim8rfsk
Thu, 14 Mar 2019 20:53:15 -0700 Adam H.
. . .
[...]
It's not just that: Coax has tons of bandwidth. Verizon fios (fiber to
the home) never made any economic sense. That's why AT&T U-verse (which
has a hyphen in it just like The Amazing SpiderhyphenMan) was cheaper to
deploy. It was fiber-to-the-node, then a copper pair to the home with a
1000 foot limitation if I recall. A copper pair has tons of bandwidth.
Remember, in the 1960s, T-3 was just a copper pair.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the old wiring schemes, as long as
they're properly maintained, which of course phone companies were loathe
to do.
h***@bbs.cpcn.com
2019-03-15 21:29:48 UTC
I just looked on their Web site. There's no mention of U-verse, just
AT&T Fiber. When my mother first moved here, she was close enough to the
central office that DSL was possible without a repeater (I forget what
the device is called), but they've been exceedingly slow to deploy those
VLADs (the alien spaceship landing platform) which terminate the fiber.
It's a copper pair for the last 1000 feet or so to the house.
The Verizon website bears little resemblance to the service and
fees actually offered.

In any event, sadly, these days are definitely gone:
https://books.google.com/books?id=XlIEAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA145&dq=life%20bell%20service%20representative&pg=PA145#v=onepage&q&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=ekgEAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA3&dq=life%20bell%20service%20representative&pg=PA3#v=onepage&q&f=false
anim8rfsk
2019-03-15 05:23:46 UTC
. . .
Some friends of mine who dumped COX a little while ago just had a salesman
show up at their door trying to get them to sign up again!
How are they watching tv? What are they using for Internet access?
He says
"Nothing exotic. Our TV is DirecTV and Internet is ATT Uverse."
Sounds like they may have DSL for Uverse. The speeds are more limited
but okay for streaming video.
he says:

It is not exactly DSL but yes, pretty much. It is slower than cable for sure
but we've discussed that.

We're not that far from the switching office but the copper has crappy
insulation so they can't get more than about 12 megabits per second down.
2019-03-15 06:19:57 UTC
. . .
Some friends of mine who dumped COX a little while ago just had a salesman
show up at their door trying to get them to sign up again!
How are they watching tv? What are they using for Internet access?
He says
"Nothing exotic. Our TV is DirecTV and Internet is ATT Uverse."
Sounds like they may have DSL for Uverse. The speeds are more limited
but okay for streaming video.
It is not exactly DSL but yes, pretty much. It is slower than cable for sure
but we've discussed that.
We're not that far from the switching office but the copper has crappy
insulation so they can't get more than about 12 megabits per second down.
Yeah, I would never go for AT&T's (V)DSL offering unless I absolutely
had to. It was fine years ago when DSL was the best available but now
the offerings are much better. Still limited to really only a few
competitors but at least with better speeds. If I wanted/needed it I
could get gigabit speeds from both Comcast and AT&T. One of the
benefits of living in a big city while my relatives are left with much
slower offerings due to being in very small towns (around 10k.)
anim8rfsk
2019-03-15 11:05:21 UTC
. . .
[...]
I wouldn't have AT&T under any circumstances.

We had DSL at the office and it *never* worked. They always had some idiotic
excuse like "you have to run a dedicated phone line from the street" and "you
have to run a dedicated power line"
2019-03-15 14:19:12 UTC
. . .
[...]
As with most issues sounds like your local office didn't care about
giving good service. It's like my friend up in New Jersey who hates
Comcast due to their giving him poor service. While I had Comcast for
over a decade and never had any real poor service issues. The price
issues I had with them seem to be consistent over the industry so it's
not a Comcast specific problem.

The one time I did have a persistent problem it did take multiple
technician visits before they figured out it was a line issue a mile
away that was causing the problem but that's the nature of the beast
when a problem comes and goes. If the tech can't see the problem when
he's here it's hard to diagnose it.
anim8rfsk
2019-03-15 18:15:27 UTC
. . .
[...]
or *any* service
Post by shawn
It's like my friend up in New Jersey who hates
Comcast due to their giving him poor service. While I had Comcast for
over a decade and never had any real poor service issues. The price
issues I had with them seem to be consistent over the industry so it's
not a Comcast specific problem.
The one time I did have a persistent problem it did take multiple
technician visits before they figured out it was a line issue a mile
away that was causing the problem but that's the nature of the beast
when a problem comes and goes. If the tech can't see the problem when
he's here it's hard to diagnose it.
For months my cox email would all vanish unaccountably. The tech people on
the phone would say it was gone forever. I'd tell them it had reappeared
several times. They'd sigh and said they were submitting a trouble ticket,
but not give me a number, because they were simply lying to make me go away.

*Finally* I got somebody who knew what was going on. They have east and west
servers, identified right in the URL you're at, something like
mail.west.cox.net and mail.east.cox.net. One had my mail on it, the other
didn't, and you get directed randomly to whichever when you log on. Once I
knew I needed west, I was able to redirect it manually. Works every time.
There are other workarounds like 'never log in to cox.net directly, always
start on cox.com which will redirect you to cox.net but usually to the right
server'

They told me it was a temporary problem. That was at least 5 years ago now.
2019-03-15 18:43:47 UTC
. . .
[...]
That's a sign of poor management. There's no way that should have been
allowed to go on for any length of time. Hell, it should never have
been set up that way. Either have people choose which server they will
connect to or, as in most cases, they mirror the two systems so they
each have the same messages. So you might end up out of sync for a few
minutes/hours the same as with Twitter/Youtube but eventually both
servers would have the same data so it wouldn't matter which one you
connect to.

I wonder if that is all being managed out of Atlanta. I know that the
video management is done here as they had a job offer some years back
for a manager for their digital settop deployment that I considered
for a moment.
anim8rfsk
2019-03-15 20:09:22 UTC
. . .
[...]
It's worse than I made it out (I was simplifying); it only affects my MAIN
email account. The others mirror just fine.
Post by shawn
I wonder if that is all being managed out of Atlanta. I know that the
video management is done here as they had a job offer some years back
for a manager for their digital settop deployment that I considered
for a moment.
I don't think somebody that knew what they were doing would want to work for
Cox. I'm sure the others would turn on you.
h***@bbs.cpcn.com
2019-03-15 21:32:05 UTC
. . .
[...]
A friend has Comcast, including his landline phone. The phone
failed. First it was a pain just getting a hold of Comcast and
have them someone out. Second, the person they sent out was
clueless. Not only did he not fix the phone, my friend got
charged a $40 fee for his worthless visit. Finally, they sent
someone out who could fix the line (it was their problem.)

Personally, Comcast said I had 'bad wiring' when they were
the ones who installed it.

Adam H. Kerman
2019-03-15 16:23:17 UTC
. . .
I wouldn't have AT&T under any circumstances.
We had DSL at the office and it *never* worked. They always had some idiotic
excuse like "you have to run a dedicated phone line from the street" and "you
have to run a dedicated power line"
Uh, what? I can see the phone line, but a power line? I thought you were
by yourself in the office, so how much data could you consume?

When we had data-only U-verse at the office, it was a multi-tenant
building. We were on the 12th floor. They lit the phone line as far as
the wiring closet on the floor, then we couldn't find where the phone
line entered the office because the outlets I knew about were all for
wiring within the office. The installation technician finally looked
behind some furniture and figured it out.

It was a dedicated phone line but only because we didn't have POTS but
otherwise, it was an ordinary hookup. As far as power, well, we just
plugged the terminal adapter into a nearby wall outlet. Phone wire
itself is low voltage so I assume AT&T was just drawing power from
battery at the central office.

At home, I didn't have a dedicated phone line for AT&T data and voice;
it was shared. Because the crappy adapters they gave me weren't
adequately filter the DSL signal to prevent interference with the
cordless phone, they came back and moved DSL to the second pair within
the inside wiring and filtered the voice signal before it entered the
building, keeping it on the first pair within the inside wire.

For those who don't know, phone wire typically has two, three, or four
pairs within it. (The phone installation at my apartment was so old, it
had screw terminals!) It's twisted to prevent antenuation. Modern CAT5 or
CAT5e or CAT6 is all four pair but most plugs and jacks for phone wire
can typically have no more than three pairs hooked up. However, I once
had an office in which the previous tenant must have had a lot of phone,
because the phone jacks were all served by two CAT5 runs each and were
all 8-position jacks.

Did cable even offer alternatives?
anim8rfsk
2019-03-15 18:07:34 UTC
. . .
I wouldn't have AT&T under any circumstances.
We had DSL at the office and it *never* worked. They always had some idiotic
excuse like "you have to run a dedicated phone line from the street" and "you
have to run a dedicated power line"
Uh, what? I can see the phone line, but a power line? I thought you were
by yourself in the office, so how much data could you consume?
The service simply didn't work, and they lied about why rather than do
anything to make it so.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
See, you actually had someone COME OUT. US West mailed me the damn box and it
was all self install. And self maintain.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
For those who don't know, phone wire typically has two, three, or four
pairs within it. (The phone installation at my apartment was so old, it
had screw terminals!) It's twisted to prevent antenuation. Modern CAT5 or
CAT5e or CAT6 is all four pair but most plugs and jacks for phone wire
can typically have no more than three pairs hooked up. However, I once
had an office in which the previous tenant must have had a lot of phone,
because the phone jacks were all served by two CAT5 runs each and were
all 8-position jacks.
Did cable even offer alternatives?
No, this was, as usual, all pay off to the city council. It would be years
before Cox was allowed to service businesses by paying off the city council
more heavily.
2019-03-15 21:01:37 UTC
. . .
I wouldn't have AT&T under any circumstances.
We had DSL at the office and it *never* worked. They always had some
idiotic excuse like "you have to run a dedicated phone line from the
street" and "you have to run a dedicated power line"
Uh, what? I can see the phone line, but a power line? I thought you were
by yourself in the office, so how much data could you consume?
The service simply didn't work, and they lied about why rather than do
anything to make it so.
With cable it's always "sunspots".
. . .
At home, I didn't have a dedicated phone line for AT&T data and voice;
it was shared. Because the crappy adapters they gave me weren't
adequately filter the DSL signal to prevent interference with the
cordless phone, they came back and moved DSL to the second pair within
the inside wiring and filtered the voice signal before it entered the
building, keeping it on the first pair within the inside wire.
See, you actually had someone COME OUT. US West mailed me the damn box and it
was all self install. And self maintain.
The initial installer should have done that. It would have added minutes
to add the extra jack and wire it correctly. All he did was put the
second pair in the inside wire on the first pair in the jack.

But the regular installers don't carry the whole house filter. It's all
really stupid. One filter is cheaper than those per-jack filters, you'd
think, not to mention that the individual filters aren't designed for a
wall phone, duh, as they hang directly from the plate around the jack.
. . .
Adam H. Kerman
2019-03-15 21:24:31 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
I checked the automated billing system this morning. The two credits
were applied as promised.

Going forward, it doesn't do anything to get her bill down, alas. At
least she's not in a contract.
Adam H. Kerman
2019-03-13 19:54:00 UTC
[...]
I followed up with the state attorney general. Even though I had filled
out the form on line, the complaint hasn't even been entered into their
database nor has it been assigned to an advocate! It takes over 4 weeks!

I can understand that the advocate won't get back to her immediately,
but it takes four weeks just to enter the complaint into the database
despite the use of the Web form? That's stupid.

I left a message with the village liason to Comcast. They usually return
calls sooner.
h***@bbs.cpcn.com
2019-03-15 21:08:40 UTC
This morning, I tried to do something about my mother's Comcast bill.
She pays Comcast thousands a year as she subscribes to a lot of tv
channels. There are always discounts to renegotiate.
Comcast sucks.

Unfortunately, I don't think the competition is any better.
To me, it seems Verizon and Comcast are in a race to see who
can provide the worst service. Trying to get a hold of
assistance is murder.

(TV shows sometimes make a joke of someone on the phone trying
to break through voice recognition).