Tennessee Senate Race Shows There Is No Such Thing As A Moderate Democrat In 2018
Buzzsaw Checkerling
2018-10-11 14:39:05 UTC
While the national media encourage the radicalization of the Democratic
Party and highlight how that radicalization excites its base in liberal
states, the result is the crushing of moderate Democratic pols.

by Mollie Hemingway
October 11, 2018
<http://thefederalist.com>

Donald Trump was elected president despite low popularity ratings in
2016. While both Hillary Clinton and Trump were viewed unfavorably by a
majority of Americans polled, Trump set the record, with 61 percent
viewing him in a negative light, according to Gallup.

For millions of Americans, disliking Trump was not a barrier to voting
for him. In some cases people voted for him enthusiastically despite
not particularly liking him.

Tennessee has a smaller version of the opposite issue. Volunteer State
voters like the Democratic candidate Phil Bredesen. A popular former
governor and mayor of Nashville, his entrance into the race made the
open seat competitive despite the state’s Republican leanings. Cook
Political report rates it as a toss-up. The Real Clear Politics average
has Republican candidate Marsha Blackburn up by less than three points.

Bredesen is certainly a standard Democrat in his politics, but he’s
downplaying that fact and is willing to buck his party. He opposed the
manner in which Obamacare was implemented and occasionally criticizes
his party for its extremism.His approach is persuasive to some,
including the Washington Post opinion journalist Radley Balko:

He notes that Blackburn’s approach is more politically savvy. But it’s
worth thinking about why. As the recent Kavanaugh debacle showed, at
best the Senate has a grand total of one Democrat who can be labeled
moderate: Joe Manchin. Even Democratic senators from all the other
states that desired a Kavanaugh confirmation voted against him.

More important than the ultimate vote, though, were the Democratic
leaders responsible for the debacle. Senate Judiciary Committee’s top
Democrat Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) stage-managed the accusations
against Kavanaugh for maximum political effect. After hearings were
reopened, she read the outlandish Michael Avenatti gang rape cartel
allegations into the record. Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer
(D-New York) kept Democratic votes in line and told them to disregard
the principle of presumed innocence.

Looked at this way, Blackburn’s focus isn’t just a cynical ploy but an
understanding of how the current Senate’s party control has a far
greater effect on the average voter than any individual senator does.
Blackburn likely emphasized it because it’s a message that resonates
with voters more than the one where a politician claims he or she will
be one way when they frequently abandon their commitments when in
Washington.

How many times have politicians claimed they wouldn’t vote for House
Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) or Schumer only to do just that
or otherwise fail to put other Democrats in power? Bredesen claimed he
wouldn’t vote for Schumer for leader, but voters likely understand that
his no vote would have no effect on Schumer’s success. It is perhaps
worth noting that new undercover video from James O’Keefe casts
Bredesen’s moderation pledges in a questionable new light.

A new National Republican Senatorial Committee ad dealing with the race
understands this issue well:

Rather than target Bredesen, who is generally liked, it points out that
if he wins, bad things will happen to Tennessee. It makes the case that
the majority in the Senate is razor-thin and that Tennessee voters
could be responsible for turning the Senate to a Democratic majority.
Featuring clips of radical senators Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), Kamala
Harris (D-Calif.), and Cory Booker, (D-Spartacus), it notes that “If
Bredesen wins, Dianne Feinstein picks your judges, Bernie Sanders runs
the budget and Chuck Schumer runs everything.”

While the national media encourage the radicalization of the Democratic
Party and highlight how that radicalization excites its base in liberal
states, the result is the crushing of moderate Democratic senators in
states where they may have had a fighting chance.

Perhaps Bredesen will be able to pull out a victory. If the media
narrative of an unstoppable Blue Wave is accurate, he has a great shot.
But the extremism of the Democratic Party is not helping him win what
the media claim is a toss-up race.

______________
"On March 2nd, 2017, Dr. Benjamin S. Carson, Sr., M.D., was sworn in as
the 17th Secretary of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban
Development."
kensi
2018-10-11 16:05:58 UTC
Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-New York) kept Democratic
votes in line and told them to disregard the principle of presumed
innocence.
Hey, fuckhead. Yeah, you, fuckhead. There is no principle of presumed
innocence at a confirmation hearing. Only at a criminal trial.

Stop using that disingenuous talking point.

AND STOP SETTING SILENT FOLLOWUP-TOS!
in here." ~Checkmate
Adam H. Kerman
2018-10-11 16:58:13 UTC
Post by kensi
Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-New York) kept Democratic
votes in line and told them to disregard the principle of presumed
innocence.
Hey, fuckhead. Yeah, you, fuckhead. There is no principle of presumed
innocence at a confirmation hearing. Only at a criminal trial.
Stop using that disingenuous talking point.
AND STOP SETTING SILENT FOLLOWUP-TOS!
Actually, seamus, you fail to understand the purpose of the followup.
It's advice, not instruction.

hi seamus
Avenging Angel
2018-10-12 03:55:53 UTC
Post by kensi
Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-New York) kept Democratic
votes in line and told them to disregard the principle of presumed
innocence.
Hey, fuckhead. Yeah, you, fuckhead. There is no principle of presumed
innocence at a confirmation hearing. Only at a criminal trial.
Stop using that disingenuous talking point.
AND STOP SETTING SILENT FOLLOWUP-TOS!
We really need to exterminate your kind. You are a clear and present
danger.
kensi
2018-10-12 14:53:53 UTC
Post by Avenging Angel
Post by kensi
Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-New York) kept Democratic
votes in line and told them to disregard the principle of presumed
innocence.
Hey, fuckhead. Yeah, you, fuckhead. There is no principle of presumed
innocence at a confirmation hearing. Only at a criminal trial.
We really need to exterminate your kind. You are a clear and present
danger.
Genocidal threat noted, logged, and forwarded to the Hague.
in here." ~Checkmate
Avenging Angel
We'll exterminate the Hague, too.
kensi
2018-10-13 16:23:14 UTC
Post by Avenging Angel
Post by kensi
Genocidal threat noted, logged, and forwarded to the Hague.
We'll exterminate the Hague, too.
Interpol warned. Terroristic threats against the world court are not
going to be taken lightly.
in here." ~Checkmate
Avenging Angel
You're a fucking impotent joke.
kensi
2018-10-14 17:25:57 UTC
Post by Avenging Angel
Post by kensi
Post by kensi
Post by Avenging Angel
We'll exterminate the Hague, too.
but so far has not followed through on any of them. Nonetheless, your
violent anti-social rhetoric is dangerous and you need to be closely
monitored, for the safety of yourself and others.
in here." ~Checkmate
Avenging Angel
2018-10-13 03:12:28 UTC
Post by kensi
Post by Avenging Angel
Post by kensi
Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-New York) kept Democratic
votes in line and told them to disregard the principle of presumed
innocence.
Hey, fuckhead. Yeah, you, fuckhead. There is no principle of presumed
innocence at a confirmation hearing. Only at a criminal trial.
We really need to exterminate your kind. You are a clear and present
danger.
Genocidal threat noted, logged, and forwarded to the Hague.
BTW, moron, do you actually kmow who I am? Pathetic. I would kill you for
the fun of it.
kensi
2018-10-13 16:24:30 UTC
Post by Avenging Angel
BTW, moron, do you actually kmow who I am?
A usenet blow-hard who either is, or finds it cynically amusing to
pretend to be, a domestic extremist.
Post by Avenging Angel
Pathetic. I would kill you for the fun of it.
That sounds like full-blown psychopathy. Have you seen a head doctor?
in here." ~Checkmate
Avenging Angel