What Did You Watch? 2020-02-13 (Thursday)
2020-02-14 09:30:41 UTC
After an exhaustive workout, I watched:

GHOST ADVENTURES: SCREAMING ROOM:
"Theme Park Nightmare". Zak and the guys revisit the Enchanted Forest, an
amusement park in rural Oregon where Aaron spent much of his childhood and
where they encountered bizarre entities. This was silly, even for this show.

HOW THE UNIVERSE WORKS:
"Edge of the Universe". The secrets of the phenomena that can be found in
deepest reaches of the cosmos might finally be revealed by experts thanks to
cutting-edge technology and new discoveries. Woah!

Watching Democrats come up with schemes to "catch Trump" is like
watching Wile E. Coyote trying to catch Road Runner.
Ian J. Ball
2020-02-14 14:41:49 UTC
With minimal comment:

The Magicians (recorded) - "Apocalyspe? Now?!". I'll get to the details
of this in tomorrow's WDYD? post.

Station 19 - Missed a few episodes, and I had little idea what was going on.

Grey's Anatomy - So it looks like they've got Sarah Rafferty and Lindy
Booth for a multiple-episode arc. And they're finally going to dump the
storyline with some of them working at the other hospital.
The absence of Justin Chambers as Karev is becoming incredibly
awkward - could they *really* not work up a proper ending for a guy
who's been on the show for 15 years?!! This stinks of something else
going on, as this is an incredibly poor send-off for the
character/actor...

Recorded for later: Legacies!!
2020-02-14 16:59:34 UTC

Law & Order: SVU -"I Deserve Some Love Too" - Team SVU go after an evil
federal immigration agent. This episode set me off a bit at the end.
Half of the episode was spent trying to get some SVU patented reluctant
witnesses to testify. Of course they agreed to testify. But when they
dramatically walked into court, the defense attorney had *no* idea who
they were because the DA never put them on the witness list. And that
was just completely glossed over as normal.

Party of Five - "Speak for Yourself" - The family uses the restaurant
for a fundraiser while Beto (AKA new Bailey) tries to get in good with
his girlfriend's father. That father couldn't be more of a jerk if he
tried. He's actually seems to be expecting Beto to do his job for him
in raising his daughter and is upset when Beto isn't acting like the
girl's father.

Star Trek: Picard - "Absolute Candor" - Team Picard visit a planet of
Romulan refugees to pick up another regular cast member. I liked this
one. And I like how all of the members of Rio's crew are holograms of
himself. We met 2 last week and I *think* another new one this week.
Unless that was the Navigator we saw last week and this week manning the
weapons in battle.

Sonic the Hedgehog (theatrical) - I am really not familiar with the
game, at all, so I went into this movie mostly open minded. I didn't
really like the trailers, but the reviews seemed to be good, I figured
maybe it would surprise me. It didn't. It was pretty mediocre. The
plot, what there is of it, mostly consists of an ugly blue CGI monster,
I mean hedgehog, running away and getting into trouble while Jim Carrey
mugs for the camera and chases after him. This was kind of like "ALF"
the movie. I was particularly annoyed that throughout the movie there
were *multiple* references to a "mushroom" planet, which I took to mean
a reference to the Mario Brothers game, and I was expecting a Mario
cameo or something along those lines. But no. There was no "Mario"
payoff to the constant "mushroom" references, which just added to my
annoyance. But for actual fans of the game, it might be amusing.
anim8rfsk
2020-02-14 17:09:16 UTC
Star Trek: Picard - "Absolute Candor" - Team Picard visit a planet of
Romulan refugees to pick up another regular cast member. I liked this
one. And I like how all of the members of Rio's crew are holograms of
himself. We met 2 last week and I *think* another new one this week.
Unless that was the Navigator we saw last week and this week manning the
weapons in battle.
It's hard to say. They've misidentified at least one at least once (he called
a non medical hoiogram an EMH, when he's neither medical nor emergency -
clearly the writers don't know what EMH stands for) so we'll never be able to
keep track.
I have no idea if they're supposed to be separate entities who might show up
and argue with each other or just different skins on the same program.
I wondered if the weapons guy was a nod to Tyr Anasai.
I miss Robert Picardo. And, for that matter, Howling Mad Barclay.
2020-02-14 17:31:38 UTC
Star Trek: Picard - "Absolute Candor" - Team Picard visit a planet of
Romulan refugees to pick up another regular cast member. I liked this
one. And I like how all of the members of Rio's crew are holograms of
himself. We met 2 last week and I *think* another new one this week.
Unless that was the Navigator we saw last week and this week manning the
weapons in battle.
It's hard to say. They've misidentified at least one at least once (he called
a non medical hoiogram an EMH, when he's neither medical nor emergency -
clearly the writers don't know what EMH stands for) so we'll never be able to
keep track.
The two from last week were EMH and ENH. N for Navigator. That's why I
was confused this week. The Hologram seemed to be Navigator, but the
look and personality were totally different.
Post by anim8rfsk
I have no idea if they're supposed to be separate entities who might show up
and argue with each other or just different skins on the same program.
I'm pretty sure they are different entities, who we will get to see
interact. Then again, on Voyager when the Doctor became the ECH, he was
the same entity, but his personality didn't change, so who knows. Wait,
was the ECH just a dream or did that ever happen for real?
anim8rfsk
2020-02-14 18:04:43 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
I have no idea if they're supposed to be separate entities who might show up
and argue with each other or just different skins on the same program.
I'm pretty sure they are different entities, who we will get to see
interact. Then again, on Voyager when the Doctor became the ECH, he was
the same entity, but his personality didn't change, so who knows. Wait,
was the ECH just a dream or did that ever happen for real?
As many resets as Voyage had, as many times as they slipped timelines, it all
may as well be a dream.

IIRC the ECH started out as a dream, but the EMH thought it was a good enough
idea that they later implemented it for real.

The big question is, with the ECH in place, why the Hell would you possible
hesitate to assassinate Janeway?

Remember when The Doctor went mobile? And somehow his program was
transferred, not copied, into the mobile emitter and the ship didn't have him
when he was away. What the Hell? Is he licensed by Adobe for only one user at
a time? It's like all the idiot TV writers that think scanning destroys the
original.
2020-02-14 17:55:15 UTC
Is there any other kind on a Dick Wolf show?
Ian J. Ball
2020-02-14 19:20:00 UTC
Party of Five - "Speak for Yourself" - The family uses the restaurant
for a fundraiser while Beto (AKA new Bailey) tries to get in good with
his girlfriend's father. That father couldn't be more of a jerk if he
tried. He's actually seems to be expecting Beto to do his job for him
in raising his daughter and is upset when Beto isn't acting like the
girl's father.
This show sounds absolutely terrible - nothing you say about it makes
me want to watch it, at all.
2020-02-14 21:24:15 UTC
Party of Five - "Speak for Yourself" - The family uses the restaurant
for a fundraiser while Beto (AKA new Bailey) tries to get in good with
his girlfriend's father.  That father couldn't be more of a jerk if he
tried.  He's actually seems to be expecting Beto to do his job for him
in raising his daughter and is upset when Beto isn't acting like the
girl's father.
This show sounds absolutely terrible - nothing you say about it makes me
want to watch it, at all.
Your just not Woke enough to enjoy it. ;-)

The show really does feel a lot like the original series, just updated
with a different family and problems. But the overall family dynamics
and nonsense is very relatable to the original series.

It was kind of funny when the militant social justice older daughter,
who organized the event, met up with a girl who is even more militant,
and began to question the restaurant staff on how they were being
(mis)treated by the family.

This is a paraphrase of the conversation they had in the restaurant kitchen:
How much are they paying you to work tonight?
Nothing. I'm working for free.
Aha! You're being exploited!
But it's *my* family's restaurant. I organized this event.
That doesn't matter! You think that's an excuse (or something like that)
Jim G.
2020-02-17 03:57:41 UTC
PICARD / 1x04 / Absolute Candor

[The crew's journey to Freecloud takes a detour when Picard orders a
stop at the planet Vashti, where Picard and Raffi relocated Romulan
refugees 14 years earlier. Upon arrival, Picard reunites with Elnor, a
young Romulan he befriended during the relocation. Meanwhile, Narek
continues his attempts to learn more about Soji while Narissa's
impatience with his lack of progress grows.]

"Anyone else think the Way of Absolute Candor sounds potentially annoying?"

This show is too young to seem this tired already. The only thing saving
it is people not named Picard.

Beyond that, it seems like each week we meet someone or a group of
someones who have legitimate and deep and thoroughly understandable
reasons to hate Picard. And when they reunite, they vent and Picard
admits the obvious as a form of apology and then he's INSTANTLY forgiven
by the person or group that has hated him for at least 14 years. It's
very...odd.

Grade: B-
"I'm really glad we're at this place in our relationship where we can
dig up graves together without having to talk." -- Major Lillywhite, iZOMBIE
anim8rfsk
2020-02-17 04:47:22 UTC
Post by Jim G.
[...]
Here's a question

On a planet too far away for them to reach anyway, they dumped a bunch of
Romulan refugees, and *only* Romulan refugees.

14 years later the cafe has a 'Romulans only' sign on it (that Picard is so
fucking self destructive he takes down)

Who the Hell are they keeping OUT?
2020-02-17 05:17:09 UTC
Post by Jim G.
PICARD / 1x04 / Absolute Candor
[The crew's journey to Freecloud takes a detour when Picard orders a
stop at the planet Vashti, where Picard and Raffi relocated Romulan
refugees 14 years earlier. Upon arrival, Picard reunites with Elnor, a
young Romulan he befriended during the relocation. Meanwhile, Narek
continues his attempts to learn more about Soji while Narissa's
impatience with his lack of progress grows.]
"Anyone else think the Way of Absolute Candor sounds potentially annoying?"
This show is too young to seem this tired already. The only thing saving
it is people not named Picard.
I'm still very much enjoying it.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Beyond that, it seems like each week we meet someone or a group of
someones who have legitimate and deep and thoroughly understandable
reasons to hate Picard. And when they reunite, they vent and Picard
admits the obvious as a form of apology and then he's INSTANTLY forgiven
by the person or group that has hated him for at least 14 years. It's
very...odd.
Grade: B-
Here's a question
On a planet too far away for them to reach anyway, they dumped a bunch of
Romulan refugees, and *only* Romulan refugees.
14 years later the cafe has a 'Romulans only' sign on it (that Picard is so
fucking self destructive he takes down)
Who the Hell are they keeping OUT?
I assumed there were some number of humans still on the planet left over
from the resettlement process. Plus any number of other species just
looking for an out of the way planet to live on. I mean if in the
entire universe of, what did they say, trillions of habitable planets or
something like that, they couldn't find a single better planet capable
of supporting that one kid, then surely there was no where else in the
universe for whatever humans were helping to settle that to planet to go
to either.

And agree about Picard being self destructive. He picks *that* moment
to start a fight or was this some master plan of his to get the kid to
come to his rescue? In either case, Picard should blame himself for
that man's death. he wouldn't have needed saving in the first place if
he hadn't picked that fight.
anim8rfsk
2020-02-17 05:44:55 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
Then they need to establish that.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
I mean if in the
entire universe of, what did they say, trillions of habitable planets or
"Although, come to think of it, there are over three billion stars in our
galaxy alone and ours is one of two trillion. There are a septillion known
planets, so maybe it should be called "vast quantities of stuff"."

I have grave doubts that there are a septillion known planets.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
something like that, they couldn't find a single better planet capable
of supporting that one kid, then surely there was no where else in the
universe for whatever humans were helping to settle that to planet to go
to either.
And they had to go to the beta quadrant to do it. What, is it uninhabited or
something?
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
And agree about Picard being self destructive. He picks *that* moment
to start a fight or was this some master plan of his to get the kid to
come to his rescue? In either case, Picard should blame himself for
that man's death. he wouldn't have needed saving in the first place if
he hadn't picked that fight.
Absolutely
2020-02-17 09:44:02 UTC
I have grave doubts that there are a septillion known planets.
If you discovered and catalogued that number of planets at a rate of
one per second, it would take you about 31.7 quadrillion years.

So, no, there can't be a septillion known planets. It's just not
possible to know that many.

There was this, too: "Although, come to think of it, there are over
three billion stars in our galaxy alone and ours is one of two
trillion. There are a septillion known planets, so maybe it should be
called 'vast quantities of stuff'."

Well, yes, there are indeed over three billion stars in the Milky Way,
because present-day estimates put the number at somewhere between 100
billion and 400 billion. The estimate on the number of galaxies in the
observable universe (which is perhaps a thousandth of the whole thing)
is between 200 billion to 2 trillion. That's a lot of wiggle room.
anim8rfsk
2020-02-17 11:09:08 UTC
[...]
I figured they got it from McCoy's speech in Balance of Terror. Got it wrong,
but still got it:

Something I seldom say to a customer, Jim. In this galaxy, there's a
mathematical probability of 3 million Earth-type planets. And in the
universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that, and
perhaps more, only one of each of us.
2020-02-17 17:14:01 UTC
I have grave doubts that there are a septillion known planets.
If you discovered and catalogued that number of planets at a rate of
one per second, it would take you about 31.7 quadrillion years.
You can fanwank that a little. Humanity doesn't have to count the
planets themselves. Other species could have been counting planets for
billions of years and leaving that data behind. The Federation has
access to all the planets all the Federation member worlds know about as
well as access to plenty of non Federation member worlds as well as a
Borg Cube and Vgyer and any number of powerful galactic entities with
databanks of vast interstellar knowledge.
anim8rfsk
2020-02-17 18:04:57 UTC
I have grave doubts that there are a septillion known planets.
If you discovered and catalogued that number of planets at a rate of
one per second, it would take you about 31.7 quadrillion years.
You can fanwank that a little. Humanity doesn't have to count the
planets themselves. Other species could have been counting planets for
billions of years and leaving that data behind. The Federation has
access to all the planets all the Federation member worlds know about as
well as access to plenty of non Federation member worlds as well as a
Borg Cube and Vgyer and any number of powerful galactic entities with
databanks of vast interstellar knowledge.
So there are a septillion known planets, and the superdupernova is going to
eat them all in the next couple of weeks, and Picard is wasting his time
moving Romulans out of the way.
2020-02-17 18:41:40 UTC
I have grave doubts that there are a septillion known planets.
If you discovered and catalogued that number of planets at a rate of
one per second, it would take you about 31.7 quadrillion years.
You can fanwank that a little. Humanity doesn't have to count the
planets themselves. Other species could have been counting planets for
billions of years and leaving that data behind. The Federation has
access to all the planets all the Federation member worlds know about as
well as access to plenty of non Federation member worlds as well as a
Borg Cube and Vgyer and any number of powerful galactic entities with
databanks of vast interstellar knowledge.
Hoe many other species? A billion? That would reduce the time to only
32 million years. You'd also have to go through all that stuff and
make use of it. Simply saying there's a septillion known planets
without bothering to sift through the information you have about them
makes the whole deal meaningless.

If they'd said "There could be a septillion planets out there," I'd
have had no problem with it.
anim8rfsk
2020-02-17 19:34:04 UTC
[...]
Yep. And that's the difference between good writing and Picard writing.
2020-02-17 22:21:25 UTC
[...]
What, are you saying SQL and its cousins can't handle a database that
size?
have had no problem with it.
Dimensional Traveler
2020-02-17 07:25:16 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
Picard was obviously pining for his younger days, when he got into bar
fights, got stabbed thru the heart and had to have an artificial heart
installed.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?"
anim8rfsk
Jim G.
2020-02-18 05:53:08 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Beyond that, it seems like each week we meet someone or a group of
someones who have legitimate and deep and thoroughly understandable
reasons to hate Picard. And when they reunite, they vent and Picard
admits the obvious as a form of apology and then he's INSTANTLY forgiven
by the person or group that has hated him for at least 14 years. It's
very...odd.
Grade: B-
Here's a question
On a planet too far away for them to reach anyway, they dumped a bunch of
Romulan refugees, and *only* Romulan refugees.
14 years later the cafe has a 'Romulans only' sign on it (that Picard is so
fucking self destructive he takes down)
Who the Hell are they keeping OUT?
I assumed there were some number of humans still on the planet left over
from the resettlement process.
Yep.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
I mean if in the
entire universe of, what did they say, trillions of habitable planets or
something like that, they couldn't find a single better planet capable
of supporting that one kid, then surely there was no where else in the
universe for whatever humans were helping to settle that to planet to go
to either.
Well, when you put it like that... :)
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
And agree about Picard being self destructive. He picks *that* moment
to start a fight or was this some master plan of his to get the kid to
come to his rescue? In either case, Picard should blame himself for
that man's death. he wouldn't have needed saving in the first place if
he hadn't picked that fight.
"We'll be around to pick you up in seven minutes."
"Got it. Picard out. Hmm...now what can I do for those seven minutes?
Listen to some pretentious classical music and make sure that everyone
hears it? Read some pretentious Old Earth literature and make sure that
everyone sees me doing it? No, wait! I know! I'll go pick a fight by
being an idiotic pontificating asshat who'd rather criticize others than
deal with my own massive past mistakes."
anim8rfsk
2020-02-18 10:13:06 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Beyond that, it seems like each week we meet someone or a group of
someones who have legitimate and deep and thoroughly understandable
reasons to hate Picard. And when they reunite, they vent and Picard
admits the obvious as a form of apology and then he's INSTANTLY forgiven
by the person or group that has hated him for at least 14 years. It's
very...odd.
Grade: B-
Here's a question
On a planet too far away for them to reach anyway, they dumped a bunch of
Romulan refugees, and *only* Romulan refugees.
14 years later the cafe has a 'Romulans only' sign on it (that Picard is so
fucking self destructive he takes down)
Who the Hell are they keeping OUT?
I assumed there were some number of humans still on the planet left over
from the resettlement process.
Yep.
Where did they say *anything* of the sort?
Post by Jim G.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Plus any number of other species just
looking for an out of the way planet to live on.
Yep.
See above.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
And agree about Picard being self destructive. He picks *that* moment
to start a fight or was this some master plan of his to get the kid to
come to his rescue? In either case, Picard should blame himself for
that man's death. he wouldn't have needed saving in the first place if
he hadn't picked that fight.
"We'll be around to pick you up in seven minutes."
"Got it. Picard out. Hmm...now what can I do for those seven minutes?
Listen to some pretentious classical music and make sure that everyone
hears it? Read some pretentious Old Earth literature and make sure that
everyone sees me doing it? No, wait! I know! I'll go pick a fight by
being an idiotic pontificating asshat who'd rather criticize others than
deal with my own massive past mistakes."
The scene that annoyed me even more was the first time he beamed out, and
started deliberately walking downstairs first. What the fuck is going to
happen when he comes out on the ship in downstairs stepping mode, except for
him falling and breaking a hip?
2020-02-18 19:10:44 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
It's a ham-handed attempt to show us that we're even more in the future
and they can beam people places while they're casually doing stuff
instead of having to stand still on a pad.
anim8rfsk
2020-02-18 19:23:01 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
Yep. But I wouldn't have minded it if he happened to be on a flight of steps
when he called for transport - it was incredibly stupid to have him call for
transport and then start walking downstairs.
2020-02-19 13:00:36 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
Teleporting someone mid-stride onto stairs sounds like an incredibly bad
idea.

BTR1701
2020-02-17 07:42:45 UTC
Post by Jim G.
PICARD / 1x04 / Absolute Candor
[The crew's journey to Freecloud takes a detour when Picard orders a
stop at the planet Vashti, where Picard and Raffi relocated Romulan
refugees 14 years earlier. Upon arrival, Picard reunites with Elnor, a
young Romulan he befriended during the relocation. Meanwhile, Narek
continues his attempts to learn more about Soji while Narissa's
impatience with his lack of progress grows.]
"Anyone else think the Way of Absolute Candor sounds potentially annoying?"
That was a good line but I really don't like the actress-- the aptly
named Alison Pill. I can't separate her from the ridiculous leftist
reporter she played on THE NEWSROOM and now I have a visceral dislike of
every character she plays.
Post by Jim G.
This show is too young to seem this tired already. The only thing saving
it is people not named Picard.
Beyond that, it seems like each week we meet someone or a group of
someones who have legitimate and deep and thoroughly understandable
reasons to hate Picard.
This particular group really didn't have reason to hate Picard. They
have a legitimate and deep and thoroughly understandable reason to hate
the Federation, but Picard was the only guy fighting *for* them against
the Federation's abandonment.
A Friend
That's your problem, of course, not hers.
BTR1701
Did I say it was her problem?
A Friend
2020-02-18 03:36:37 UTC
Post by Jim G.
PICARD / 1x04 / Absolute Candor
[The crew's journey to Freecloud takes a detour when Picard orders a
stop at the planet Vashti, where Picard and Raffi relocated Romulan
refugees 14 years earlier. Upon arrival, Picard reunites with Elnor, a
young Romulan he befriended during the relocation. Meanwhile, Narek
continues his attempts to learn more about Soji while Narissa's
impatience with his lack of progress grows.]
"Anyone else think the Way of Absolute Candor sounds potentially annoying?"
That was a good line but I really don't like the actress-- the aptly
named Alison Pill. I can't separate her from the ridiculous leftist
reporter she played on THE NEWSROOM and now I have a visceral dislike
of every character she plays.
That's your problem, of course, not hers.
Did I say it was her problem?
Yes, you did. You don't like the "aptly named" Pill because she played
a character you didn't like, and apparently did a convincing job of it.
This has colored every part you've seen her in since. You described a
"visceral dislike" of her. That's the kind of thing most people
reserve for phobias and Nazis.
BTR1701
2020-02-18 04:27:21 UTC
Post by Jim G.
[...]
Which makes her a bitter pill FOR ME.
This has colored every part you've seen her in since. You described a
"visceral dislike" of her.
And none of that is saying it's *her* problem. She doesn't even know me
or how I feel about her. How the hell could any of this be her problem?
That's the kind of thing most people reserve for phobias and Nazis.
Oh, FFS. Really? Now you're pretending I'm comparing her to a Nazi?

GTFO.
A Friend
2020-02-18 11:55:40 UTC
Post by Jim G.
[...]
No, I said nothing of the sort. What I said is sitting right there
waiting to be re-read.

You're overreacting. Again.
Post by BTR1701
GTFO.
N.
Adam H. Kerman
2020-02-18 15:31:30 UTC
Post by Jim G.
[...]
Would you take it down a couple of notches, please?

By definition, as she's using her birth name as her stage name, that's
not her problem. As she's being judged on later performances influenced
by having peformed an unlikeable and poorly-drawn character, that's not
her problem either. A viewer's perception of her based on a previous
performance and not based on her current performance isn't her problem.

Also by definition, once you mention Nazis, you've killed the
discussion. Godwin!

From my perspective, I will never see Megalyn Echikunwoke as anything
other than Isabelle Tyler, the insta-growed child that was the major
factor in the severe decline in quality of The 4400 in later seasons.
I've always felt that Mahershalalhashbaz Ali deserved a special Emmy
acknowledging that he's such a good actor that sharing scenes with her
didn't kill his career dead.

I don't care if Echikunwoke ever manages to perfect what limited acting
ability she might possess at RADA or joins the Royal Shakespeare
Company. It will be impossible for me to see her as an actress.

I'll bet that you can think of an actress with an early performance
that's so terrible that you never want to see her in anything else.
anim8rfsk
2020-02-18 17:24:28 UTC
Post by Jim G.
[...]
Wow. I haven't seen a Godwin invocation in years!
Post by Adam H. Kerman
From my perspective, I will never see Megalyn Echikunwoke as anything
other than Isabelle Tyler, the insta-growed child that was the major
factor in the severe decline in quality of The 4400 in later seasons.
She went on to be the worst part of CSI: Horatio and almost killed *that*
show, which is saying something. Luckily we got Socrates Poole to the rescue!
Post by Adam H. Kerman
I've always felt that Mahershalalhashbaz Ali deserved a special Emmy
acknowledging that he's such a good actor that sharing scenes with her
didn't kill his career dead.
I don't care if Echikunwoke ever manages to perfect what limited acting
ability she might possess at RADA or joins the Royal Shakespeare
Company. It will be impossible for me to see her as an actress.
Agreed.
Or that his first name didn't finish off the job!
Adam H. Kerman
2020-02-17 23:16:08 UTC
Post by Jim G.
PICARD / 1x04 / Absolute Candor
[The crew's journey to Freecloud takes a detour when Picard orders a
stop at the planet Vashti, where Picard and Raffi relocated Romulan
refugees 14 years earlier. Upon arrival, Picard reunites with Elnor, a
young Romulan he befriended during the relocation. Meanwhile, Narek
continues his attempts to learn more about Soji while Narissa's
impatience with his lack of progress grows.]
"Anyone else think the Way of Absolute Candor sounds potentially annoying?"
That was a good line but I really don't like the actress-- the aptly
named Alison Pill. I can't separate her from the ridiculous leftist
reporter she played on THE NEWSROOM and now I have a visceral dislike of
every character she plays.
That's your problem, of course, not hers.
I couldn't stand The Newsroom. Her character was not appealing. There are
actors I cannot see as other than their least appealing character and it
can keep me from suspending disbelief.
A Friend
2020-02-18 03:39:32 UTC
Post by Jim G.
PICARD / 1x04 / Absolute Candor
[The crew's journey to Freecloud takes a detour when Picard orders a
stop at the planet Vashti, where Picard and Raffi relocated Romulan
refugees 14 years earlier. Upon arrival, Picard reunites with Elnor, a
young Romulan he befriended during the relocation. Meanwhile, Narek
continues his attempts to learn more about Soji while Narissa's
impatience with his lack of progress grows.]
"Anyone else think the Way of Absolute Candor sounds potentially annoying?"
That was a good line but I really don't like the actress-- the aptly
named Alison Pill. I can't separate her from the ridiculous leftist
reporter she played on THE NEWSROOM and now I have a visceral dislike of
every character she plays.
That's your problem, of course, not hers.
I couldn't stand The Newsroom.
Neither could I, actually. It was one and done for me. I didn't hold
any grudges against the cast, though.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Her character was not appealing. There are actors I cannot see as
other than their least appealing character and it can keep me from
suspending disbelief.
I can be distracted by the presence of someone I think is a bad actor
whom I've seen be bad in something before, but I also accept this as my
problem and not the actor's. The actor might be terrific.
anim8rfsk
2020-02-17 11:01:47 UTC
Post by Jim G.
This show is too young to seem this tired already. The only thing saving
it is people not named Picard.
Beyond that, it seems like each week we meet someone or a group of
someones who have legitimate and deep and thoroughly understandable
reasons to hate Picard.
This particular group really didn't have reason to hate Picard. They
have a legitimate and deep and thoroughly understandable reason to hate
the Federation, but Picard was the only guy fighting *for* them against
the Federation's abandonment.
And now a quarter of a million Romulans, that he apparently brought to safety
on one ship (except there is no safety from the superdupernova which will eat
the universe) have just been sitting on their lazy asses in their town the
fed must have made for them waiting for the Fed to bring them fresh handouts?
What more do you *need* than a power plant and a bank of replicators?
2020-02-17 17:06:00 UTC
Post by Jim G.
PICARD / 1x04 / Absolute Candor
[The crew's journey to Freecloud takes a detour when Picard orders a
stop at the planet Vashti, where Picard and Raffi relocated Romulan
refugees 14 years earlier. Upon arrival, Picard reunites with Elnor, a
young Romulan he befriended during the relocation. Meanwhile, Narek
continues his attempts to learn more about Soji while Narissa's
impatience with his lack of progress grows.]
I thought none of them were rescued b/c of that replicant rebellion on Mars?
Post by Jim G.
Beyond that, it seems like each week we meet someone or a group of
someones who have legitimate and deep and thoroughly understandable
reasons to hate Picard. And when they reunite, they vent and Picard
admits the obvious as a form of apology and then he's INSTANTLY forgiven
by the person or group that has hated him for at least 14 years. It's
very...odd.
It's in essence a "heist movie"?

anim8rfsk
2020-02-17 22:20:02 UTC
Post by Jim G.
PICARD / 1x04 / Absolute Candor
[The crew's journey to Freecloud takes a detour when Picard orders a
stop at the planet Vashti, where Picard and Raffi relocated Romulan
refugees 14 years earlier. Upon arrival, Picard reunites with Elnor, a
young Romulan he befriended during the relocation. Meanwhile, Narek
continues his attempts to learn more about Soji while Narissa's
impatience with his lack of progress grows.]
I thought none of them were rescued b/c of that replicant rebellion on Mars?
No, Picard rescued at least this bunch before the Godless synthetics
rebelled.
http://youtu.be/B1lWoA2tgxQ