What Did You Watch? 2021-11-24 (Wednesday)
2021-11-25 17:51:30 UTC
I guess Ubi is taking a siesta today, so I'll cover...
And what did you watch, on Thanksgiving Eve?!
Hey, thanks for asking!

I’m having trouble remembering.

Let’s see if the magic DVR kept much of a record.

I watched the final episodes of the $6 million man which I’ve given up on
Trying to spell correctly because spell check just isn’t having any of it.
It got stupider and stupider and I was glad it stopped. It was all Kenneth
Johnson alien crap and didn’t even make sense scene to scene. Then the
original ones started and they weren’t really much better.

A ridiculously young Linda Dano was a ghost researcher in one of them.
Flippers friend Pamela Franklin is a clairvoyant in another. Joanne Worley
is trapped on an island with the rest of the plane crash survivors. Both
Paul Fix and Paul Carr appear in a blatant Andromeda strain rip off. And a
delightful Elaine Giftos guest spot highlights the end of the series in a
two-parter filmed in the Bradbury building which is always a favorite.

And then finally the actual last episode is a blatant THE SPY WHO LOVED ME
rip with a Barbara Bach look alike!

https://images.app.goo.gl/1N4CSeksAhUfzjmT8

The best featured John Saxon as his own evil duplicate robot, before the
Fembots.

No wonder I was having trouble remembering!

2021-11-25 20:16:21 UTC
I guess Ubi is taking a siesta today, so I'll cover...
Yesterday was the one 100% "holiday" day I am granting myself this
The Next Step: The Scholarship (YouTube) - This is the last of "The Next
Step" supplementary "web series" for me to go through - this one takes
place between seasons #5 and #6.
  As I figured, the only "webisode" worth anything here was the last
one, which was the only one to have Emily, Michelle and Richelle. The
others were mostly dedicated to introducing the new season #6 cast like
Summer, Finn, Kenzie, and Lily and Davis.
  Of the three web series, the first one, "The Off Season", was the
most interesting (as it actually provided extra details), and this one
was the least interesting.
Black Widow (Disney+) - I liked this one a lot more than "Shang-Chi...",
even despite the heavy (gratuitous) use of CGI. But, then again, that
makes sense - this flick had characters we were much more invested in
(well, one of them, anyway!), and had a much higher calibre of actors,
with Florence Pugh, David Harbour, and Rachel Weisz.
  Hey, the movie even has Olga K.!! though her casting completely
screws up the timeline, as she is *older* that Scarlett J., yet is
supposed to be playing a character quite a bit *younger* than Natasha
The B.W.!!
  Anyway, I generally enjoyed this.
  The post-credits scene would have been a lot more effective if they
had left Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Valentina out of it - but as is usual
for Marvel, they are more interested in setting up the "next thing" than
in doing an real character development...  :/
Keep in mind the movies and TV shows got shelved for a year or more and
that messed with the release order too. If I recall correctly, this
movie would have been when her character was introduced.
  This segued nicely into...
Hawkeye (Disney+) - "Never Meet Your Heroes" and "Hide and Seek" (ep's
#1 & #2). Sidenote: I'd argue these are mistitled - "Never Meet Your
Heroes" would have worked much better as the title for episode #2.
  So far, I am liking this - it's lower stakes than the other Disney+
MCU series, but I actually like that.
  The first episode is mostly set up - explaining where Hailee
Steinfeld's Kate Bishop came from - and so isn't very funny.
  I thought the second episode was a significant improvement, with much
more humor. Poor put-upon Clint has to keep Kate, who annoys him,
"Infinity Wars") that Kate stole and which is now in the possession of a
firefighter(?). This forces Clint to go to a LARPing(!)
I didn't really care for that bit. It just didn't feel believable.

tournament with
a bunch of firefighters and cops. Later, Clint allows himself to get
captured by the thugs after Kate - hey, it's Aleks Paunovic from "Van
Helsing"!! - and stupid Kate, thinking she's helping, gets herself
captured too!
  I don't like the way this show ends its episodes - they come to
neither a natural conclusion, nor a true "cliffhanger" - instead, it
just feels like they "run out of time" on the ep., leaving a dangling
thread.
  Hey, does anyone *not* think that it's going to turn out to be Kate's
Mom (Vera Farmiga) who will turn out to be the 'Big Bad', and that her
fiance is just a big red herring?!
Yes, yes! A 1,000 times yes! Although the fiance is an actual villain
from the comics. There's no way Vera didn't off her first husband, and
probably her fiance's uncle too while she was at it. While the daughter
is trying to prove he's evil, Vera is probably thinking, of course he's
evil. That's *why* I like him.
Extracurricular (Prime) - 2018 Canadian flick, co-starring Brittany
Raymond of "The Next Step", along with Keenan Tracey, Spencer Macpherson
(who hasn't aged from child actor well) and Brittany Teo (whom I am not
familiar with, though she was apparently in "Dare Me" with Raymond, and
in another Lifetime movie I've seen). They play 4 high schoolers who
meticulously plan murders (for fun?). B-action movie actor Luke Goss
plays the local sheriff, and Tracey's and Macpherseon's father.
  I wanted to like this a lot more than I did. The ending went pretty
much where I expected it to (at least partly). And the movie doesn't
even bother to offer up a motive or any real explanation as to why these
highschoolers, esp. Raymond's overachieving character, are committing
these murders.
soaps: GH - Really, not much happened: Brook Lynn told Ned that Chase is
the "father" of hewr baby, and Chase tells Finn that he is a "father"
now. Most of the rest of this was Curtis whining to Portia about his new
"father". At the end, NuDrew shows up at Sam's place, after she and
Dante were doing some canoodling.
Recorded for later: Intergalactic, and DOOL.
I'm two behind on Intergalactic, and just don't care.
And what did you watch, on Thanksgiving Eve?!
In addition to Hawkeye, I also watched:

Chucky - "Twice the Grieving, Double the Loss" - Penultimate episode
which finds the kids feeling defeated and in disarray after Chucky
manages to murder most of their parents. And things go from bad to
worse when Devon runs off on his own to stop Chucky only to get captured
instead, and even worse Chucky reveals himself to Junior to turns out to
be a more than willing disciple. Next week, Andy finally arrives in town...

There was one scene when "Jennifer Tilly" showed up and I thought she
broke the 4th wall by referring to herself as Jennifer Tilly, the
actress. Then I remembered, they murdered the real Jennifer Tilly a few
movies back and took over her body. So technically, it is Jennifer Tilly
the actress playing herself on the show. Love that attention to detail!
Ian J. Ball
2021-11-26 00:35:14 UTC
I guess Ubi is taking a siesta today, so I'll cover...
Recorded for later: Intergalactic, and DOOL.
I'm two behind on Intergalactic, and just don't care.
Yeah, I tried starting over and didn’t get any further than I had the first
time.
I'm saving them up to "binge" this one, as I bet there's no other way
to get through it. (And I'm only doing that for Eleanor Tomlinson!!)
2021-11-26 02:18:54 UTC
I guess Ubi is taking a siesta today, so I'll cover...
Recorded for later: Intergalactic, and DOOL.
I'm two behind on Intergalactic, and just don't care.
Yeah, I tried starting over and didn’t get any further than I had the first
time.
I'm saving them up to "binge" this one, as I bet there's no other way
to get through it. (And I'm only doing that for Eleanor Tomlinson!!)
I’d binge if I could but I keep falling asleep.

2021-11-26 18:26:59 UTC
Hawkeye (Disney+) - "Never Meet Your Heroes" and "Hide and Seek" (ep's
#1 & #2). Sidenote: I'd argue these are mistitled - "Never Meet Your
Heroes" would have worked much better as the title for episode #2.
  So far, I am liking this - it's lower stakes than the other Disney+
MCU series, but I actually like that.
  The first episode is mostly set up - explaining where Hailee
Steinfeld's Kate Bishop came from - and so isn't very funny.
  I thought the second episode was a significant improvement, with much
more humor. Poor put-upon Clint has to keep Kate, who annoys him,
"Infinity Wars") that Kate stole and which is now in the possession of a
firefighter(?). This forces Clint to go to a LARPing(!)
I didn't really care for that bit. It just didn't feel believable.
It kind of highlighted something that's bothered me with all of these
post-Avengers shows. Namely that these people would be mega-celebrities
worldwide whether they liked it or not. They've saved all of humanity
like three or four times now.

Yet in FALCON AND THE WINTER SNOWMAN, they walk around the streets
virtually unrecognized and in one scene Sam can't even get a loan from
his hometown bank. I couldn't believe that bank manager would turn an
Avenger down for a loan, especially considering Sam actually was still
getting a paycheck from the Air Force. If I'm the manager of a small
bank in Louisiana, being able to tout one of the Avengers as a customer
would be worth whatever deal I could make to make it happen.

This series is better in that Hawkeye is actually frequently recognized
in public, but still only in a low-key kind of way. Nothing like you'd
expect if one of the world's biggest celebrities showed up at a showing
of the worst, cringiest Broadway musical ever made. When he showed up at
the LARP, the girl specifically says she recognizes him but he still
can't come in. Really? Is that how a mega-celebrity would be treated in
a situation like that? I mean, if the Rock, for example, showed up at a
local cosplay party, you really think they'd tell him to pound sand or
would it be much more likely they'd enthusiastically welcome him to hang
out with open arms?

And when they do recognize him, the bad guys do inexplicable things like
kidnap him. If I'm a bunch of track suit-wearing goons, with nothing but
gold chains and pistols, why in the name of Zeus's butthole would I be
stupid enough to assault and kidnap an Avenger? From their point of
view, even if they can handle *him* (which is big 'if' given what he did
during his time as the Ronin) Thor or Scarlet Witch or Hulk will be
likely to immediately show up to get him back and literally decimate
them all. These are people who fought Ultron, the Chitauri army, and
Thanos and won. Why on earth would a bunch of half-assed goombahs even
consider taking them on?
anim8rfsk
2021-11-27 00:50:59 UTC
Hawkeye (Disney+) - "Never Meet Your Heroes" and "Hide and Seek" (ep's
#1 & #2). Sidenote: I'd argue these are mistitled - "Never Meet Your
[...]
Especially since it’s about even odds that if the rock is there hi ho can’t
be far behind!
2021-11-29 19:14:14 UTC
Chucky - "Twice the Grieving, Double the Loss" - Penultimate episode
which finds the kids feeling defeated and in disarray after Chucky
manages to murder most of their parents. And things go from bad to
worse when Devon runs off on his own to stop Chucky only to get captured
instead, and even worse Chucky reveals himself to Junior to turns out to
be a more than willing disciple. Next week, Andy finally arrives in town...
There was one scene when "Jennifer Tilly" showed up and I thought she
broke the 4th wall by referring to herself as Jennifer Tilly, the
actress. Then I remembered, they murdered the real Jennifer Tilly a few
movies back and took over her body. So technically, it is Jennifer Tilly
the actress playing herself on the show. Love that attention to detail!
I was amazed when I realized that the part of the young Charles Lee Ray
in the flashbacks was being played by Brad Dourif's daughter. I thought
it was Dourif himself and they were doing some kind of CGI thing to make
him look young, but no, it's his (female) kid with a prosthetic nose.
anim8rfsk
2021-11-29 19:42:54 UTC
[...]
Is there enough Alexa Doig action to interest me?

2021-11-29 22:04:55 UTC
Post by super70s
In article
[...]
She has a fairly significant part... until Chucky sends her flying, that
is.
She went too soon. Though I guess that was the key to turning Junior.
Though I'm left wondering why Chucky felt the need to get one of the
kids on his side when he apparently already was building his army.
shawn
2021-11-29 23:40:13 UTC
Post by super70s
In article
[...]
They featured her heavily in the preview show but I guess it was just to
suck us in. I became suspicious when we never heard anything more about her
once the show began. Thanks!
At least she lasted through most of the first season. Unlike Sam Neill
in INVASION where he only appeared in the first episode. I kept
waiting for him to show up as some sort of alien controlled hybrid
only to realize he was never going to show up again. :(
Arthur Lipscomb
I forgot Sam Neill was even in Invasion! LOL
Arthur Lipscomb
2021-12-01 01:50:10 UTC
[...]
I had *no* idea that was her! His daughter also plays the captured
woman (from the last two movies) that Chucky put his soul in.
super70s
2021-11-26 07:05:21 UTC
My cable provider's free HBO preview week finally started (a day later
than promised but better late than never) so I watched The Little Things
with Denzel Washington and Rami Malek. Tonight was even better, last
year's Let Him Go with Kevin Costner and Diane Lane.
anim8rfsk
2021-11-26 11:01:31 UTC
Post by super70s
My cable provider's free HBO preview week finally started (a day later
than promised but better late than never) so I watched The Little Things
with Denzel Washington and Rami Malek. Tonight was even better, last
year's Let Him Go with Kevin Costner and Diane Lane.
The only reason I ever know there’s a preview yes when somebody else
mentions it because Cox never tells us. So I read this and flip over to HBO
and sure enough there’s Jurassic Park three running free..
2021-11-26 16:19:38 UTC
Post by super70s
My cable provider's free HBO preview week finally started (a day later
than promised but better late than never) so I watched The Little Things
with Denzel Washington and Rami Malek. Tonight was even better, last
year's Let Him Go with Kevin Costner and Diane Lane.
The only reason I ever know there’s a preview yes when somebody else
mentions it because Cox never tells us. So I read this and flip over to HBO
and sure enough there’s Jurassic Park three running free..
Did you watch it in a rear-view mirror?
dirty old man.
super70s
2021-11-26 22:43:04 UTC
Post by super70s
My cable provider's free HBO preview week finally started (a day later
than promised but better late than never) so I watched The Little Things
with Denzel Washington and Rami Malek. Tonight was even better, last
year's Let Him Go with Kevin Costner and Diane Lane.
The only reason I ever know there’s a preview yes when somebody else
mentions it because Cox never tells us. So I read this and flip over to HBO
and sure enough there’s Jurassic Park three running free..
My cable provider always gives a heads up on the snail mail bill I get
a month before the preview, then I cut that paragraph out and stick it
on my wall calendar so I don't completely forget. Cox may be doing that
also but if you happen to pay online you wouldn't see it.

Today I caught Land with Robin Wright, excellent I thought. It would
make a good double feature with Into The Wild, directed by Wright's
ex-husband Sean Penn.
anim8rfsk
2021-11-27 00:51:00 UTC
Post by super70s
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by super70s
My cable provider's free HBO preview week finally started (a day later
than promised but better late than never) so I watched The Little Things
with Denzel Washington and Rami Malek. Tonight was even better, last
year's Let Him Go with Kevin Costner and Diane Lane.
The only reason I ever know there’s a preview yes when somebody else
mentions it because Cox never tells us. So I read this and flip over to HBO
and sure enough there’s Jurassic Park three running free..
My cable provider always gives a heads up on the snail mail bill I get
a month before the preview, then I cut that paragraph out and stick it
on my wall calendar so I don't completely forget. Cox may be doing that
also but if you happen to pay online you wouldn't see it.
They didn’t when I got a paper bill. I’m all electronic now.
I did find a place for it though. If you click the all but useless on
demand button, and scroll down, it will tell you about the free preview!
However if you access the free preview through there, it says you have to
pay.
Sheesh!

2021-11-27 01:13:22 UTC
Post by super70s
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by super70s
[...]
Yeah, I didn't get any notice in the mail or email about this free
preview. That said it looks like AT&T is also taking part in this free
weekend.
anim8rfsk
super70s
2021-11-27 02:27:50 UTC
In article
Post by super70s
Post by super70s
My cable provider's free HBO preview week finally started (a day later
than promised but better late than never) so I watched The Little Things
with Denzel Washington and Rami Malek. Tonight was even better, last
year's Let Him Go with Kevin Costner and Diane Lane.
The only reason I ever know there’s a preview yes when somebody else
mentions it because Cox never tells us. So I read this and flip over to HBO
and sure enough there’s Jurassic Park three running free..
My cable provider always gives a heads up on the snail mail bill I get
a month before the preview, then I cut that paragraph out and stick it
on my wall calendar so I don't completely forget. Cox may be doing that
also but if you happen to pay online you wouldn't see it.
They didn’t when I got a paper bill. I’m all electronic now.
I think the only reason my provider does it on their bill is so they can
throw in a disclaimer at the end, "if you prefer not to receive the free
preview let us know." They must be worried about flack from parents with
small kids or something.
I did find a place for it though. If you click the all but useless on
demand button, and scroll down, it will tell you about the free preview!
However if you access the free preview through there, it says you have to
pay.
Sheesh!
I thought it was interesting in another post when you said you were also
getting the Showtime family this week. According to my records I haven't
had a Showtime preview since August 2018. Maybe they charge some nominal
fee to the provider for it which my provider is too cheapskate to pay.
Or maybe adding both HBO and Showtime at the same time is just too
complicated for them.
Adam H. Kerman
2021-11-27 20:43:11 UTC
Post by super70s
My cable provider's free HBO preview week finally started (a day later
than promised but better late than never) so I watched The Little Things
with Denzel Washington and Rami Malek. Tonight was even better, last
year's Let Him Go with Kevin Costner and Diane Lane.

I could have sworn I wrote about this a month or so back. I watched it
on HBO.

Kevin Costner as George gives a toned-down performance. He's truly excellent.
Diane Lane as Margaret is quite good too, but her character is absurd.

I liked it a lot. George and Margaret's relationship is quite
believeable. Their married son James dies accidentally. Margaret did not
get along with her daughter in law Lorna (Kayli Carter); Margaret was
overbearing with respect to how Lorna was raising her grandchild.

Lorna won't stay. Broke and desperate, she marries Donnie (Will
Brittain) who is, how can we put it, not normal. He's hiding from his
own overbearing mother Blanche (Lesley Manville). When she learns that
he's married with a stepson, she has him taken back to the family with
new family in tow.

Margaret had seen Donnie hit Lorna and gets desperate as Lorna simply
vanished with the child.

Margaret and George try to find them. Along the way they meet Peter, a
teenage Indian boy living rough. They share food and make friends.

They meet another of Blanche's relatives Bill (Jeffrey Donovan),
Donnie's uncle. Margaret misses obvious signs that Bill is extremely
dangerous. George won't trust him but Margaret goes along with his lies.

At Blanche's compound, they meet Blanche and her murderous brood, but
Lorna and her son are hidden from them.

It all leads to what you'd expect: Several threatening moments after
dinner, then the family invades the hotel room of Margaret and George,
and Donnie ends up chopping off George's hand.

In the big set-piece finale, the action returns to Blanche's home.
Wounded George commits violence agains her whole brood, but Margaret is the
one to kill Blanche ('cuz it's a woman's picture). George dies. Margaret
finally gets Lorna and her son away, with Peter's help.

It's kind of two different movies. The scenes with George and Margaret
are well done, versus Blanche and her brood are absurdly over the top,
however, Lesley Manville must have had the time of her life as she never
gets to play parts like this.
Ian J. Ball
2021-11-27 21:42:41 UTC
Post by super70s
[...]
Yeah, I agree, especially that last part! ;)
2021-12-03 23:51:31 UTC
Post by super70s
[...]
Added to the watch list.

Ubiquitous
2021-11-30 16:16:34 UTC
I guess Ubi is taking a siesta today, so I'll cover...
I was on the road for Thanksgiving.
And what did you watch, on Thanksgiving Eve?!
SQUID GAMES:
Four-hundred fifty-sixty players in crippling debt accept a strange
invitation to compete in children's games. Inside, a tempting prize awaits
with deadly high stakes with a whopping $45.6 billion prize at stake.

"Red Light, Green Light".
"Hell".
"The Man with the Umbrella".
"Stick to thye Team".
"A Fair World"
"Gganbu".

I had to stop at this point because that ep was brutal. Rather than post
spoilers, this needs to be in a dedicated thread.

--
Let's go Brandon!