What Did You Watch? 2018-04-08 (Sunday)
Obveeus
2018-04-09 12:23:47 UTC

KILLING EVE: The first episode of this new BBCAmerica series about a
prolific hitman (Jodie Comer, DOCTOR FOSTER) and a British agent (Sandra
Oh, GREY'S ANATOMY) who tries to stop her. The hitman is supposed to be
good at her job, yet she leave eye witnesses to every crime and also
leaves fingerprints at at least one scene. The British Agents is not
yet an agent in episode #1, but is looking to move up from police cases
to more international crime fighting work. This first episode was
infused with quite a bit of humor, which makes sense given the show's
executive producer (Phoebe Waller-Bridge, FLEABAG and CRASHING).

OKKUPERT (OCCUPIED): The first 4 episodes of season #2 of this near
future history look into the Russian invasion of Norway in order to
seize oil assets. The season premiere features some redhead naked
nudity, just to trick viewers into thinking that this might be the norm
instead of a special premiere hook. The cast is a mix of evil Russian
politicians, evil Russian Oligarch types, evil Norway traitors helping
the Russians, evil Norway terrorist trying to stop the Russians, and
maybe even a few characters who aren't evil, but might be forced to do
evil things.

JAMES ACASTER: REPERTOIRE COLLECTION: The final episode of this 4
episode stand up comedy series. This was the funniest of the four (but
you have to watch the other 3 first to get all the jokes) as it covers
bread research (including a second round with gluten-free options), his
plan for an all you can eat ice cream business, the life of a duck, and
lots more great call-back humor. The ending even hints that you should
start at the beginning and watch all these a second time...and that is a
good point.

SMALL CRIMES: A 2017 crime caper film about an ex-cop who gets out of
jail after 6 years and want to resume a normal life. Of course, his
idea of normal isn't normal anyway...and gets even more complicated by
his past co-workers and his family having their own ideas about what he
should do with his life. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (GAME OF THRONES) stars
along with a strong supporting cast including Robert Forster (TWIN
PEAKS), Jacki Weaver (SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK), Molly Parker (HOUSE OF
CARDS, LOST IN SPACE), and Gary Cole (VEEP).

2018-04-09 14:01:29 UTC
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
On a day I had to run a review session for work, which means I couldn't
watch the end of the Masters, I didn't watch much:

Famous in Love (recorded) - The second season premiere (ep's #2.1 & 2.2).
On some level, I feel like this show has changed somehow - maybe
it's that Paige isn't a wide-eyed outsideer anymore; and Alexis'
reality show certainly doesn't help - but actually I think it may be
exactly the same.
It's 2 months after the season #1 finale (so, the "flashforward to
the ending" at the beginning of season #1 ended up making no sense
afterall!!), and we learn that Paige chose that jealous, self-righteous
asshole Jake over that manipulative addict asshole Rainer (Paige really
couldn't "win" this "lottery", huh?...), and is working with Cassie on
Jake's indie movie... and I yawn. Rainer, meanwhile, is in rehab where
he's hooking up with a totally hott(!) former child star (played by
"The Original's" Danielle Campbell, who looks to be a recurring
character, and she's lost weight and looks great!!), and is refusing to
talk to his EVOL!!1! producer mommy Nina (Perrey Reeves). Apparently
Tangy's album tanked. Jordan is in the Oscar hunt. And Alexis has the
reality show.
The fate of "Locked", which has suspended production for Rainer's
rehab, hangs in the balance. In the end, Rainer mans up and saves
"Locked" (which means Paige is off Jake's picture). But after Alexis
clashes with Nina, Alexis decides to stab Tangy in the back, and reveal
Nina's affair with Jordan on her show.
P.S. "Famout in Love" looks to be tanking in the ratings, so I'd say
there's pretty much no shot for a season #3 of this one.

Twin Betrayal (Lifetime) - I enjoyed this. It was actually a pretty
decent "noir" (for Lifetime). Jen Lilley plays the dual role of a
"good" twin, and her EVOL!!1! twin sister who sets her up for the
murder of their father.
This starts kind of weird though, as the EVOL!!1! twin doesn't show
up for a good while in the flick...
Anyway, it did feel like they "ran out of time" at the end of this
movie, and needed another 10 minutes to do the ending right. But one
minute, the "good" twin believes her best friend is in on the
conspiracy, and the next minute she's using her to set up a "sting".
Huh?! How did we get from Point A to Point B in just 2 scenes?!!
Anyway, I still enjoyed this - it was fun noir-ish silliness. :)

Recorded for later: The Arrangement, and Timeless.
2018-04-09 16:06:18 UTC
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
Family Guy - "The Woof of Wall Street" - Already covered.

Billions - "A Generation Too Late" - While Axe fixates on subverting his
agreement not to trade his team fixates on being replaced by a machine.
Meanwhile the new Attorney General orders Chuck to prosecute an innocent
man.

The Walking Dead - "Worth" - Negan returns to set his house in order.

Madam Secretary - "My Funny Valentine" - Episode from last week. Mostly
background noise.

Con Man - "Too Much Closure for Comfort" - Season 1 finale. My DVR has
been rerecording the entire first season. I've been deleting them but
decided to rewatch this one. It was meh. "What Goes Up" - Season 2
premier with Jack auditioning to star on a new show called "Doctor Cop
Lawyer." I didn't care much for this episode.

Paterno (HBO) - Al Pachino stars as the infamous football coach Joe
Paterno. It was generally a well made movie. But I really didn't like
how it ended with a character being told something that may have
completely changed everything that the movie said beforehand then
cutting to black.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (3D blu-ray) Cap faces off against
Hydra and his best friend Bucky in one of my favorite Marvel Universe
movies.

Avengers: Age of Ultron (3D blu-ray) - The Avengers reassemble to take
on Ultron. There are some nice action sequences, especially the Hulk
vs. Hulk Buster fight. But the movie as a whole is a mess.
anim8rfsk
2018-04-09 16:26:24 UTC
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
Family Guy - "The Woof of Wall Street" - Already covered.
Just 'meh' - plus they showed some of those real mangled baby dog ads
during it which seemed at the very least to be tacky.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Madam Secretary - "My Funny Valentine" - Episode from last week. Mostly
background noise.
Still better than State of Affairs.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Avengers: Age of Ultron (3D blu-ray) - The Avengers reassemble to take
on Ultron. There are some nice action sequences, especially the Hulk
vs. Hulk Buster fight. But the movie as a whole is a mess.
It suffers from the fact that Ultron, as presented, is unbeatable.
Except for his own stupidity. I mean, why is there one central Ultron
at all?
2018-04-09 16:44:54 UTC
What did you watch?
I haven't seen this one yet, either.
Arthur Lipscomb
2018-04-09 19:36:09 UTC
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
Avengers: Age of Ultron (3D blu-ray) - The Avengers reassemble to take
on Ultron. There are some nice action sequences, especially the Hulk
vs. Hulk Buster fight. But the movie as a whole is a mess.
I haven't seen this one yet, either.
You've had 10 *years* to watch *all* the Marvel cinematic universe
movies! What are you waiting for? :-/

10 years in the making, the movie event of the decade is almost here! :-)

anim8rfsk
2018-04-09 19:54:15 UTC
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
Avengers: Age of Ultron (3D blu-ray) - The Avengers reassemble to take
on Ultron. There are some nice action sequences, especially the Hulk
vs. Hulk Buster fight. But the movie as a whole is a mess.
I haven't seen this one yet, either.
You've had 10 *years* to watch *all* the Marvel cinematic universe
movies! What are you waiting for? :-/
10 years in the making, the movie event of the decade is almost here! :-)
http://youtu.be/5iOhzJdDawE
He was washing his hair.
2018-04-09 20:00:35 UTC
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
Avengers: Age of Ultron (3D blu-ray) - The Avengers reassemble to take
on Ultron. There are some nice action sequences, especially the Hulk
vs. Hulk Buster fight. But the movie as a whole is a mess.
I haven't seen this one yet, either.
You've had 10 *years* to watch *all* the Marvel cinematic universe
movies! What are you waiting for? :-/
10 years in the making, the movie event of the decade is almost here! :-)
http://youtu.be/5iOhzJdDawE
He was washing his hair.
I'm a "DC" guy?... ;p
2018-04-09 20:08:23 UTC
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
Avengers: Age of Ultron (3D blu-ray) - The Avengers reassemble to take
on Ultron. There are some nice action sequences, especially the Hulk
vs. Hulk Buster fight. But the movie as a whole is a mess.
I haven't seen this one yet, either.
You've had 10 *years* to watch *all* the Marvel cinematic universe
movies! What are you waiting for? :-/
10 years in the making, the movie event of the decade is almost here! :-)
http://youtu.be/5iOhzJdDawE
He was washing his hair.
I'm a "DC" guy?... ;p
I already said you were avoiding the good movies.
Obveeus
+1 on the DC movie diss.
anim8rfsk
2018-04-09 21:09:36 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
Avengers: Age of Ultron (3D blu-ray) - The Avengers reassemble to take
on Ultron. There are some nice action sequences, especially the Hulk
vs. Hulk Buster fight. But the movie as a whole is a mess.
I haven't seen this one yet, either.
You've had 10 *years* to watch *all* the Marvel cinematic universe
movies! What are you waiting for? :-/
10 years in the making, the movie event of the decade is almost here!
:-)
http://youtu.be/5iOhzJdDawE
He was washing his hair.
I'm a "DC" guy?... ;p
I already said you were avoiding the good movies.
+1 on the DC movie diss.
:)
2018-04-10 01:26:55 UTC
THE WALKING DEAD - "Worth" - Negan returns to set his house in order.
After some lackluster offerings of late, this was a really good episode.
And it looks like neither Rick nor Negan is going to honor Coral's last
'give peace a chance' wish.

Loved the Simon zombie strapped to the fence at the end.
Arthur Lipscomb
2018-04-10 05:50:54 UTC
THE WALKING DEAD - "Worth" - Negan returns to set his house in order.
After some lackluster offerings of late, this was a really good episode.
And it looks like neither Rick nor Negan is going to honor Coral's last
'give peace a chance' wish.
Loved the Simon zombie strapped to the fence at the end.
Yeah, this was one of the better episodes. Unfortunately during the
premier(?) episode they showed a flash forward with Negan alive and well
and part of team Rick. That has sucked all the tension out of the season
since we now know they are both going to live and become friends. But
for that flash forward, I would have at least considered it a
possibility that Simon's group would have gotten the drop on Negan.
BTR1701
2018-04-10 07:29:16 UTC
THE WALKING DEAD - "Worth" - Negan returns to set his house in order.
After some lackluster offerings of late, this was a really good episode.
And it looks like neither Rick nor Negan is going to honor Coral's last
'give peace a chance' wish.
Loved the Simon zombie strapped to the fence at the end.
Yeah, this was one of the better episodes. Unfortunately during the
premier(?) episode they showed a flash forward with Negan alive and well
and part of team Rick.
That wasn't a flash-forward. That was just Coral's dream of how
everything could be.
Arthur Lipscomb
Thanks! It was a pretty ridiculous dream.
David Barnett
2018-04-09 21:27:38 UTC
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
On Sunday April 8 I watched:

FATHER BROWN: The Kembleford Dragon
Kembleford is the railway station & Dragon is the name of the train.
Wasn't greatly impressed by the episode.
Grade B

ARROW: Brothers in Arms
Discussed elsewhere iirc.
Grade C-
David Barnett
Rhino
2018-04-10 02:07:43 UTC
[...]
Why on earth would Russia, which is awash in natural gas and oil, invade
a NATO country to get more oil, especially when any attack on a NATO
country invokes a defense by ALL NATO countries, one of which is the
most powerful nation on earth, the USA? A western country dealing with a
Russian occupation is an interesting premise but I'm doubtful about it's
plausibility.
Jim G.
2018-04-12 04:12:24 UTC
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
KILLING EVE / 1x01 / Nice Face

[MI5 security officer Eve Polastri is bored in her job and yearns for a
more exciting life. When a Russian politician is murdered, Eve is tasked
with protecting the only witness and soon finds herself on a collision
course with a violent and extraordinary assassin.]

This one is off to a good start. Eve is extremely interesting and
frustrated in her job; her boss is a riot. The assassin is extremely
psychotic and competent and careless in her job; her handler is
tolerant. And the Russian expert is more than a little scary. The other
supporting players are all well cast, too. And on top of the solid
casting and the character introductions and a decent premise, there was
plenty of unexpected but welcome humor. No complaints from me so far.

Grade: A-

TIMELESS / 2x04 / The Salem Witch Hunt

[While Wyatt sneaks away from the bunker to face an unbelievable truth,
Lucy, Rufus and their former enemy-turned- teammate, Garcia Flynn, chase
the Mothership to the Salem Witch Trials. There they must prevent the
execution of a headstrong young woman who, it turns out, is mother to
one of the most consequential Americans of all time.]

The cavalier changes to history are getting more and more extreme and
it's ridiculous, and it's seriously taking away from what would
otherwise be a very entertaining show. And the team is split up *again*
because drama. Plus, is it my imagination or is Rufus making *way* more
references to race and his blackness this season? There were at least a
couple of them in this one, and he has what seems to be a new chip on
his shoulder, almost as if he just woke up and found out that he's black.

Grade: C
"Oh, my god. That's tragic. It's like a Hallmark movie. But with
tentacles." -- Dean Winchester, SUPERNATURAL
BTR1701
2018-04-12 04:28:26 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
KILLING EVE / 1x01 / Nice Face
[MI5 security officer Eve Polastri is bored in her job and yearns for a
more exciting life. When a Russian politician is murdered, Eve is tasked
with protecting the only witness and soon finds herself on a collision
course with a violent and extraordinary assassin.]
This one is off to a good start. Eve is extremely interesting and
frustrated in her job; her boss is a riot. The assassin is extremely
psychotic and competent
No, the assassin isn't psychotic at all. She's a psychopath, not a
psychotic.

Psychosis a is a severe mental disorder in which thought and emotions
are so impaired that all contact is lost with external reality. A
psychotic would be barely able to dress and feed themselves, let alone
be a professional assassin.

Psychopaths, on the other hand, are as grounded in reality as anyone
else, but utterly lacking inhibitions and empathetic emotion, which
makes killer-for-hire an ideal job.
Post by Jim G.
TIMELESS / 2x04 / The Salem Witch Hunt
[While Wyatt sneaks away from the bunker to face an unbelievable truth,
Lucy, Rufus and their former enemy-turned- teammate, Garcia Flynn, chase
the Mothership to the Salem Witch Trials. There they must prevent the
execution of a headstrong young woman who, it turns out, is mother to
one of the most consequential Americans of all time.]
The cavalier changes to history are getting more and more extreme and
it's ridiculous, and it's seriously taking away from what would
otherwise be a very entertaining show. And the team is split up *again*
because drama. Plus, is it my imagination or is Rufus making *way* more
references to race and his blackness this season? There were at least a
couple of them in this one, and he has what seems to be a new chip on
his shoulder, almost as if he just woke up and found out that he's black.
Yeah, that's getting tiresome. As is the whole bickering over Flynn.
Either use him or don't, but I'm getting tired of hearing about it.
anim8rfsk
2018-04-12 04:52:23 UTC
Post by Jim G.
[...]
Yeah, he's growing tiresome. It's not like Mason set the water
fountains so they only serve white employees.