Trump spinning virus failure as a win again by celebrating 'encouraging' progress
Trump's Lies Are All He Has
2020-08-04 11:43:29 UTC
Another 150,000 deaths forecasted by election day, mostly in red trump
loving shithole states.

Trump spinning virus failure as a win again by celebrating 'encouraging'
progress

Every time President Donald Trump and his political team claim great
progress in the pandemic it's a dangerous sign: things are likely about to
get worse. Forever spinning their failure in handling the crisis, Trump
and Vice President Mike Pence on Monday made selective claims of
"significant" advances and "very encouraging" signs and celebrated
"plateauing" cases in sunbelt areas that might have escaped their
disasters by ignoring the President's advice. Their cheerleading clashed
with forecasts from government health experts that 1,000 Americans a day
will die from Covid-19 in coming weeks, and an alarming warning from Dr.
Deborah Birx, which led Trump to effectively brand the 40-year public
health servant in a tweet as "pathetic." The President also renewed
blatantly false claims that the United States had done a better job than
many other countries that are now seeing flareups of the disease that pale
in comparison with the disaster in the southern United States.

Fact check: Another Trump briefing, more Trump falsehoods on coronavirus
and mail-in voting Fact check: Another Trump briefing, more Trump
falsehoods on coronavirus and mail-in voting In a news conference packed
with dubious superlatives and gushing praise for his government's work in
fulfilling routine procurement tasks, Trump sketched a completely
different reality from the one unfolding across the nation. Perhaps the
most concerning aspect of his briefing was not the massive
misrepresentations but that the White House is so confined to its
constantly tested Covid-19 bubble that it actually believes its own
propaganda. "We are beginning to see evidence of significant progress
nationwide," Trump said, five months into a pandemic that he initially
denied, and then neglected. "An encouraging sign. Very encouraging," Trump
said, after cherry picking data and praising governors of Florida, Arizona
and Texas -- who allowed the virus to sweep through their states -- for
doing a "tremendous job." He went on: "The virus is receding. In hot spots
across the south and west, we've seen slow improvements from their recent
weekly peaks." "I think we are doing very well and I think ... as well as
any nation," Trump said baselessly, given that the United States has less
than 5% of the world's population but around 25% of global deaths from
Covid-19. In an interview with Axios that aired later Monday night, when
confronted with the United State's daily death toll, Trump said, "They are
dying. That's true. And you -- it is what it is. But that doesn't mean we
aren't doing everything we can. It's under control as much as you can
control it. This is a horrible plague that beset us." Earlier, Pence also
spoke optimistically about the outbreak in southern and western states
that enthusiastically embraced Trump's demands for an early opening and
were consequently hit by a deadly wave of infections. "We are beginning to
see not only plateauing but are beginning to see cases declining and
emergency rooms decline," Pence said on a call with governors. Plateauing,
after so much death and at such a high level of new infections in southern
states is welcome. But it's hardly a cause for celebration, given that
infection rates would not have been so severe with proper virus
management. Trump and Pence vs. the experts
Trump criticizes Birx for the first time after she issues coronavirus
warnings Trump criticizes Birx for the first time after she issues
coronavirus warnings The President and Pence, razor focused on the
election in exactly three months, spoke in a way that implicitly
disregarded and may well have been intended to counter the warning of
Birx, the coronavirus task force coordinator who said on CNN Sunday the
virus was in a "new phase" as it bears down on rural areas where health
care is often rudimentary. Trump earlier complained that Birx had been
drawn into criticizing the administration because Democratic House Speaker
Nancy Pelosi accused her of being too positive. "Deborah took the bait &
hit us. Pathetic!" Trump wrote. But Birx's remarks were reinforced Monday
by the government's top infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci, no
stranger to presidential rebukes, who painted a picture of an
out-of-control pandemic. "When you have community spread, it's much more
difficult to get your arms around that," Fauci said during a news briefing
with Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont, a Democrat. "When you have community
spread, it's insidious. There are people who are spreading it who have no
symptoms at all, and we know that definitely occurs. It's difficult to
identify it, and it's difficult to do identification, isolation and
contact tracing," Fauci added. Trump appeared to get the message that the
spreading of the virus in heartland areas would be damaging for him
politically. He repeatedly used the word "rural" during his news
conferences to stress his government was in control. But for yet another
day, message coming from the administration's top political hitters and
the medical experts was plagued by contradictions, not least because Trump
seeks to obscure the real story with his daily briefings. "What jumps out
to me is we are in a crisis situation in America and we are hearing a
narrative that doesn't recognize that," said Dr. Richard Besser, former
acting director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on
"The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer." There are some encouraging signs
in the seemingly endless fight against Covid-19. States such as New York,
which ignored Trump's demands for early opening -- part of a federal
approach its Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Monday was the "worst
government blunder in modern history" -- are doing well. New infections
are falling in Arizona, Texas and Florida, even though they remain at
levels that suggest the downward curve will be prolonged. But at least 30
states suffered higher rates of new deaths this past week compared to the
previous week, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. In 12 of
those states, the increase in deaths was at least 50%: Washington, Idaho,
Montana, South Dakota, Texas, Mississippi, Michigan, Ohio, Maine,
Virginia, West Virginia and Alaska. And test positivity rates -- an
indicator of how rampantly a virus is spreading -- remain stubbornly high
in more than 30 states. Multiple victory laps
No signs Trump has a plan as experts say the pandemic enters new phase
No signs Trump has a plan as experts say the pandemic enters new phase
Throughout the pandemic, the administration has been desperate to proclaim
victory and great progress and to move on, while pocketing a political
victory that is incompatible with the facts of the virus. From the same
podium in the White House Briefing Room in mid-April, Trump signaled to
Americans that their brief fight against the virus was already over. "Now
that we have passed the peak in new cases, we are starting our life
again," Trump had said. "We are starting rejuvenation of our economy
again," he said, while declaring the US would experience far fewer deaths
than predicted. At that point, the disease had killed 30,000 Americans.
Less than four months later, 155,000 are dead. One month later, in May,
and after the death toll from Covid-19 reached 80,000, the President was
back with another "mission accomplished" moment. "We have met the moment
and we have prevailed," he declared, though he later tried to walk back
the remark by saying he was referred to testing. In that event, it was a
distinction without a difference since health experts say that now, even
in early August, the US still lacks a national testing and tracing
operation. As on Monday, Trump's victory lap at that moment was
contradicted by a warning from Fauci that was proven right by events. "If
we skip over the checkpoints in the guidelines to: 'Open America Again,'
then we risk the danger of multiple outbreaks throughout the country,"
Fauci wrote in a May email to The New York Times that proved to be exactly
correct. "This will not only result in needless suffering and death, but
would actually set us back on our quest to return to normal," Fauci had
added. Pence has also been guilty of misrepresenting the facts from his
position as the head of the White House's coronavirus task force. Just six
weeks ago, the vice president penned an op-ed for the Wall Street Journal
in which he castigated the media for accurate reports about a building
disaster in southern and western states. "In recent days, the media has
taken to sounding the alarm bells over a "second wave" of coronavirus
infections. Such panic is overblown," Pence wrote.

"We are winning the fight against the invisible enemy."
Such commentary by the people in charge of stabilizing America during the
worst domestic crisis since World War II is one reason that their
politically motivated forecasts of imminent victory may have the opposite
of their intended effect.
Jack Shit
2020-08-04 14:25:40 UTC
On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 11:43:29 -0000 (UTC), "Trump's Lies Are All He Has"
Post by Trump's Lies Are All He Has
Another 150,000 deaths forecasted by election day, mostly in red trump
loving shithole states.
Trump spinning virus failure as a win again by celebrating 'encouraging'
progress
Every time President Donal <SLAP>
No need to waste space with your tears.
default
2020-08-05 12:42:44 UTC
On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 11:43:29 -0000 (UTC), "Trump's Lies Are All He Has"
Post by Trump's Lies Are All He Has
Another 150,000 deaths forecasted by election day, mostly in red trump
loving shithole states.
Trump spinning virus failure as a win again by celebrating 'encouraging'
progress
Every time President Donald Trump and his political team claim great
progress in the pandemic it's a dangerous sign:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/04/politics/donald-trump-coronavirus-pence-birx/index.html

The Axios interview of Trump bolsters the point

https://www.axios.com/full-axios-hbo-interview-donald-trump-cd5a67e1-6ba1-46c8-bb3d-8717ab9f3cc5.html

Bozo Boy thinks if he doesn't run out of happy-face stickers, he
hasn't a care in the world. But he is frightened, scared silly, so
scared that he's resorted to reading speeches from the podium.

And proving he has a problem reading someone else's words.
Jack Shit
He doesn't need anyone writing for him.
super70s
2020-08-05 15:54:54 UTC
Post by Jack Shit
[...]
He made a complete fool of himself in that interview. "You can't do
that, you can't use deaths as a percentage of population...you have to
use cases."