The Sopranos ending
EGK
2020-08-04 16:29:30 UTC
Some spoiler space if you've never gotten around to watching The Sopranos.
If you haven't, you really should. :)

0

0

0

0

0

0

I finally watched the series last summer on Amazon Prime and was ready for
the ending. The fade to black. I was just talking with a friend who I
talked into watching it. He loved the series but was pissed off at the end.
He apparently lives in a cave so never heard how it ended.

I'm curious what people thought who watched it when it originally aired vs
people like me who binge watched it much later. I think I would have
probably been mad at the ending too if I had spent years watching. I
remember reading at the time of the finale that a lot of people actually
thought their cable had gone out. I'm not usually a fan of endings like
that because I like to see closure.

Of course the creator of the show, David Chase, still won't give a concrete
answer as to what happened. I can see the foreshadowing that Tony was
killed. Especially in the scene at the lake with him and Bobby Baccala
fishing. "you probably don't even hear it coming".

The alternative is life just went on...
Adam H. Kerman
2020-08-04 16:43:30 UTC
Post by EGK
[...]
http://youtu.be/tBbWiDTS6cQ
The alternative is life just went on...
It's not just The Sopranos series finale. I have had a lot of problems
with David Chase and his use of gangsters for existensial story telling
over the years. I've made any number of negative comments about his
episodes of The Rockford Files in which he introduced many of the themes
that he'd later explore in The Sopranos.

Let's just say... I was annoyed but I was already familiar with the
unsatisfying nature of David Chase's scripts.
EGK
2020-08-04 16:57:58 UTC
Post by EGK
[...]
I wouldn't have even known who David Chase was to be honest even though I've
probably seen a lot of his stuff. I liked The Rockford Files back in the
day but had no idea he scripted episodes of it for instance.

So did you watch The Sopranos when it was originally broadcast? Like I
said, I would have probably been one of those people with pitchforks out at
the end. Since I was expecting it, it was much easier to put the ending
into perspective. The thing is, being prepared for the ending and binge
watching the show isn't the way it was originally meant to be seen.

Besides The Sopranos being about the mafia, the mob boss going to a shrink,
and the fade to black ending, that's all I knew about it. Everything else
was a surprise.
Adam H. Kerman
2020-08-04 18:55:48 UTC
Post by EGK
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by EGK
[...]
Most notoriously, David Chase created the Two Idiots from Newark, those
two shithead would-be mobsters. They were in two fifth-season episodes,
the second being a pilot for a spinoff that Chase tried to sell. James
Garner wasn't even in it, beyond being stuck in a phone booth in a
framing scene. It's considered by every viewer as the worst episode of
the series and we are all greatful that Chase couldn't sell it.

It didn't prevent him from re-using the characters in The Sopranos.

Also, "The Man Who Saw the Alligators", a fifth season episode about an
angsty gangster who goes nuts, and yes, you will recognize it from The
Sopranos. It's a 90 minute episode that got cut down to 60 minutes for
second run syndication. Someone gave me the full episode. It makes
sense at 90 minutes, but I didn't like it.
Post by EGK
So did you watch The Sopranos when it was originally broadcast?
Some of it. I didn't have HBO the whole time, so I watched some of the
seasons months or a year later. But I did see the final episode when it
was new.
Post by EGK
Like I
said, I would have probably been one of those people with pitchforks out at
the end. Since I was expecting it, it was much easier to put the ending
into perspective. The thing is, being prepared for the ending and binge
watching the show isn't the way it was originally meant to be seen.
As I said before, I knew I was getting David Chase.
was a surprise.
Ian J. Ball
2020-08-04 16:52:56 UTC
Post by EGK
[...]
I saw it when it originally aired, and also went "WTF?..."

But it's subsequently been explained to me what it meant, basically as
you say - in some earlier episode, somebody says "You never hear the
bullet that kills you." (or maybe it is "you probably don't even hear
it coming"). So that's what the ending meant - Tony was indeed killed,
and you hear nothing when it happens because "You never hear the bullet
that kills you."

Chase basically confirmed this in a recent interview when he let slip
something to the effect of "...now that Tony is gone".
EGK
2020-08-04 17:09:38 UTC
Post by EGK
[...]
I saw that about Chase's "slip" but he still won't confirm it. Reporters
have been trying to get him to verify the meaning of the fade to black since
the show ended and he's always refused. They try to catch him in "slips"
like that.

It was just interesting to me because all these years later people still
talk about it and what happened. New viewers like me or my friend who
didn't know the ending was coming. I thought it was interesting that he
and his wife were watching it together. He was pissed but his wife, who had
also read about the ending, didn't mind the ambiguity at all.

The episodes of the series I disliked the most were probably the dream
episodes where Tony was in a coma. The ending seemed more of attempt at
being surreal like that. I think Tony got whacked too.
Ed Stasiak
2020-08-04 20:26:45 UTC
Post by EGK
E Gk
The episodes of the series I disliked the most were probably
the dream episodes where Tony was in a coma.
That, and how much time was wasted in the final season on the
gay Vito storyline, with the result that the mob war between Tony
and Phil Leotardo which should have been front-and-center, was
barely addressed and quickly wrapped up.

EGK
2020-08-04 21:11:52 UTC
On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 13:26:45 -0700 (PDT), Ed Stasiak
Post by Ed Stasiak
Post by EGK
E Gk
The episodes of the series I disliked the most were probably
the dream episodes where Tony was in a coma.
That, and how much time was wasted in the final season on the
gay Vito storyline, with the result that the mob war between Tony
and Phil Leotardo which should have been front-and-center, was
barely addressed and quickly wrapped up.
https://i.postimg.cc/JhmsbDPX/Phil-1593233321240.jpg
That's a big advantage of binge watching over watching week to week.
I've said for a long time that most any series plays better when you can
watch at your own pace. It allows you to more easily ignore the plot
choices you don't like.
Ed Stasiak
2020-08-04 21:33:54 UTC
Post by EGK
E Gk
Post by EGK
Ed Stasiak
That, and how much time was wasted in the final season on the
gay Vito storyline, with the result that the mob war between Tony
and Phil Leotardo which should have been front-and-center, was
barely addressed and quickly wrapped up.
That's a big advantage of binge watching over watching week to week.
I've said for a long time that most any series plays better when you can
watch at your own pace. It allows you to more easily ignore the plot
choices you don't like.
I rewatch “The Sopranos” every year and tend to FF through the family
drama stuff and concentrate on the mob stuff.

2020-08-04 20:52:41 UTC
Post by EGK
[...]
Nope. We picked up in the middle of Tony's life with no warning, and we
bowed out the same way.

The final scenes that were full of overshadowing were just illustrating
how Tony lives his life. The guy on the stool going into the bathroom,
etc. Those ominous scenes is how Tony looks at everything in his
life... as if every moment and little thing could be the last thing he sees.

You entered at one random moment in his life FROM black, and you exited
in another TO black.
The whole point is that Tony WILL die someday, and he COULD be whacked
at any moment.

That's how he has to live his life... taking in each detail around him,
as if it COULD be his last.
But there is no indicator that he dies... the rest of the scene is shot
3rd person, not POV.
--
History will show when Tyranny came to the streets of America, the 3%,
Militiamen and Gun Nuts, who like to dress up as GI Joe in tactical

"Leaders who have hidden in a bunker and gassed their own citizens
include Saddam Hussein, Adolf Hitler and Donald [Bunker Bitch] Trump." -
Ben Wexler
REAL PRESIDENTS LEAD. REALITY TV PRESIDENTS DON'T.

Trump: "No, I don't take responsibility at all." - 3/13/20
moviePig
2020-08-04 17:15:50 UTC
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2548021/the-sopranos-ending-explained-what-happened-at-the-end-of-the-hbo-series

...with which I agree.
FPP
2020-08-04 20:55:17 UTC
Post by EGK
[...]
Really... every single human character in every single TV series is
going to die one day. But you're not going to know how 99% of them die
- so why would you think Tony died, unless you saw some indication on
screen?

Ed Stasiak
2020-08-04 20:11:51 UTC
Post by EGK
E Gk
I'm curious what people thought who watched it when it originally aired
vs people like me who binge watched it much later.
I watched the finale “live” and initially thought my cable tv had cut out,
then I got a bit pissed at the lack of a “proper” ending, then realized the
screen suddenly cutting to black meant Tony had been murdered, (probably
by the man in the Members Only jacket) most likely by Butch DeConcini’s
NYC crew on orders from the Commission.

By the way, when does the Sopranos prequel movie come out?
EGK
2020-08-04 20:26:08 UTC
On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 13:11:51 -0700 (PDT), Ed Stasiak
Post by EGK
E Gk
I'm curious what people thought who watched it when it originally aired
vs people like me who binge watched it much later.
I watched the finale “live” and initially thought my cable tv had cut out,
then I got a bit pissed at the lack of a “proper” ending, then realized the
screen suddenly cutting to black meant Tony had been murdered, (probably
by the man in the Members Only jacket) most likely by Butch DeConcini’s
NYC crew on orders from the Commission.
https://i.postimg.cc/jS2NDJ3S/Butch-De-Concini.gif
By the way, when does the Sopranos prequel movie come out?
Sept. 25, 2020
“The Sopranos” prequel has a release date and a new name. Simply titled
“Newark,” the film will hit theaters on Sept. 25, 2020, more than 13 years
after the acclaimed HBO series came to an end.Mar 14, 2019