"Vikings" creator writing Julius Caesar drama
David
2018-02-14 01:53:31 UTC
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/feb/11/martin-scorsese-romans-tv-series-caesars-british-writer-michael-hirst

Martin Scorsese teams up with British writer for epic take on the
Romans
by Dalya Alberge

His epic saga Vikings has become one of the world’s most popular
television shows, even boosting tourism in Scandinavia. The Tudors
enjoyed similar success. Now Michael Hirst, the British screenwriter,
is joining forces with Hollywood director Martin Scorsese, to make a
series about a joint obsession: the Romans.

The Caesars will tell the story of the early rulers of ancient Rome,
beginning with the rise to power of Julius Caesar. The pilot has been
written, plus the outline for the rest of the season. The plan is to
create a television drama, several seasons long. Filming is expected
to begin next year in Italy.
Obveeus
2018-02-14 03:04:26 UTC
Post by David
[...]
That seems like a great topic for political soap. I do hope they take
the budget overruns on IRISHMAN out of the budget for this show, though.

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2018/02/martin-scorsese-next-film-the-irishman-may-cost-netlfix-over-140-million

If the budget it kept small, we will still have togas and public baths,
but they can ditch the huge Roman architectural scenes that serve no
real purpose except to drive up the budget.
Ian J. Ball
2018-02-14 04:42:50 UTC
Post by David
[...]
You know, it's funny, because just yesterday I was thinking somebody
should just do a TV show about *all* of the Roman Emperors, starting
with Julius Caesar...

Some Emperors could cover a season, or half a season. Others would just
cover an episode... ;)
2018-02-14 05:24:13 UTC
Post by David
[...]
Not a great idea... CAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR was never Emperor of Rome (or
anywhere else).
Dictator, yes...

Augustus (Gaius Octavius of the equestrian branch) was the First Imperator.
--
"Politicians can be cheered for the promises they make. Our country will
be judged by the promises we keep. That is the measure of our
1-30-18
anim8rfsk
2018-02-14 07:08:13 UTC
Post by David
[...]
Aren't you going to yell JULES!!!111!!!?
David
And they're all played by Rowan Atkinson.
Ian J. Ball

2018-02-15 03:49:57 UTC
Post by David
Post by Ian J. Ball
Some Emperors could cover a season, or half a season. Others would just
cover an episode... ;)
And they're all played by Rowan Atkinson.
Could be worse - I remember one time when an Episcopal priest confused
Rowan Williams and Rowan Atkinson then partially recovered by saying
"Rowan Atkinson as Archbishop of Canterbury! That would make for some
interesting services!"
Ed Stasiak
2018-02-14 04:59:23 UTC
Post by David
David
The Caesars will tell the story of the early rulers of ancient Rome
I can’t wait to see Julia Caesar, a strong independent Roman womyn
who don’t need no man, beating the shit out of misogynistic German
barbarians single handedly and turning the Roman patriarchy on its ear!
Ubiquitous
2018-02-14 18:22:25 UTC
I can't wait to see Julia Caesar, a strong independent Roman womyn
who don't need no man, beating the shit out of misogynistic German
barbarians single handedly and turning the Roman patriarchy on its ear!
Would you settle for a "clever" allegory about President Trump?
2018-02-14 20:31:52 UTC
I can't wait to see Julia Caesar, a strong independent Roman womyn
who don't need no man, beating the shit out of misogynistic German
barbarians single handedly and turning the Roman patriarchy on its ear!
Would you settle for a "clever" allegory about President Trump?
I don't think that that's what this will be. Michael Hirst already has
a strong trackrecord of writing historical dramas (some of which are
actually mostly historically accurate!!) that lack that kind of
nonsense.

I don't have much worry that this will be anything other than a
(semi?)faithful historical rendering of the events.
2018-02-15 12:17:34 UTC
I can't wait to see Julia Caesar, a strong independent Roman womyn
who don't need no man, beating the shit out of misogynistic German
barbarians single handedly and turning the Roman patriarchy on its ear!
Would you settle for a "clever" allegory about President Trump?
I don't think that that's what this will be. Michael Hirst already has
a strong trackrecord of writing historical dramas (some of which are
actually mostly historically accurate!!) that lack that kind of
nonsense.
I don't have much worry that this will be anything other than a
(semi?)faithful historical rendering of the events.
You are a lot more opitimstic tahn me!