What Did You Watch? 2019-07-10 (Wednesday)
2019-07-11 08:30:41 UTC

TOUR DE FRANCE:
Stage 5.

DIFF'RENT STROKES:
"Arnold's Tangled Web". Complications arise when Arnold hires Spiderman to
change an F to a B on his report card. Hmm, isn't Arnold a bit too old for
that nonsense and I am pretty sure this has happened before. I found it funny
that Spiderman was dressed similarly to the recent movie cartoon.

DIFF'RENT STROKES:
"Lifestyles of the Poor and Unknown". In this VSE, tired of a bullying
classmate, Sam prepares for a fist fight until he learns the reason for the
kid's hostility - he's an orphan. At the end, he hijacks a blond 1980's power
bitch's TV interview of Maggie to advocate for adoption of older children,
calling out his classmate in the process.

MISSION PLUTO AND BEYOND:
I'm not sure if this was a new show or a rerun from somewhere else on NatGeo.

Watching Democrats come up with schemes to "catch Trump" is like
watching Wile E. Coyote trying to catch Road Runner.
Ian J. Ball
2019-07-11 17:02:27 UTC
Stranger Things (Netflix) - "E Pluribus Unum" (ep. #3.6). Another good
one. Eleven saves Nancy (and Jonathan) in the hospital from the new
Negaverse beast. Steve Harrington and Robin are captured by the
Russians - Steve is tortured, and they're both given "truth serum"
(it's also revealed in her that Robin does, in fact, have a crush on
Steve, or at least did in high school...); meanwhile Dustin and Erica
remain free sneaking about in the shadows of the underground base, and
eventually plot Steve's and Robin's rescue. Alexei, the captured
Russian scientist, tells Hopper and Joyce that the Russians are trying
to open another "gate" in Hawkins. And Eleven probes Billy Hargrove's
mind (we get some background on why the character is the way he is -
and that Max is apparently his *half* sister, which I never got
before...) and finds the location of the Mind Flayer at the steel
factory... just as the Mind Flayer determines Eleven's location. And we
get final confirmation that the "podded" people aren't coming back from
being "podded" (this presumably includes Billy) - so they're going to
have a hard time explaining away this events of this season after it's
over!!
Just two more episodes to go...

soaps: DOOL - Tues ep.: They write out Claire in about as an
anticlimatic way as possible. Eve purloins the evidence of her
complicity in the Claire mess, but is forced by Jack to drop the
charges against Ben Weston.
Wed ep.: Gabi manages to get Nicole/Kristen fired by Stefan. (Also,
Chloe knows Gabi's "secret" - that Gabi is seducing Stefan to take him
down...)
GH - The reading of Oscar's will, which puts Shiloh in the driver's
seat. And new DA Robert Scorpio(!) refuses to subpeona Sam's witness
without a coorborating witness (which it looks like Jason will
produce...).

Grand Hotel (recorded) - "The Big Sickout" (ep. #4). Scrambling to make
Javi's blackmail payoff, Santiago cuts the staff bonuses at the hotel
but, led by Nelson (Matt Shivley), the staff retaliates with a
"sick-out". That forces Alicia, Santiago, Carolina, Yoli, and even Javi
(who has been cut off by his father anyway, and who now needs to work
for real - and pregnant Ingrid is not pleased to hear about this
development!) to "sub in" for the missing staff at the hotel. Alicia is
giving Danny the cold shoulder, until she overhears Danny shut Carolina
down. Later, Danny finds the blackmail note in Javi's trash, so Danny
knows that Javi is involved. (Oh, and Danny has a *girlfriend*
(Elizabeth McLaughlin) back home!!) Santiago finally lets Mrs. P in on
the circumstances of Santiago's "hotel loan". And Gigi tries to work
over a magazine editor for the hotel's P.R., but it turns out the
editor is just a messanger-stooge for Gigi's fugitive ex-husband - the
editor later visits Carolina without Gigi's knowledge.

NOS4A2 (recorded) - "The Dark Tunnel" (ep. #6). An episode that turned
out better than I was expecting... In the mental hospital, Vic is
roomed with old Jolene, and once Vic gets Jolene off her meds, Jolene
shows Vic her "power", and gives her some useful info on Charlie Manx.
Unfortuantely for Vic, Jolene 'taps out' of the fight immediately after
filling Vic in... And speaking of 'tapping out', Maggie bails on Vic
(who quickly talks her way out of the hospital after advice from
Jolene) after being traumatized by being run over by the Wraith... So
Vic is on her own in the fight against Manx.
Next episode: It looks like the fight resumes, though Manx is in bad
shape after what happened in this episode...

Recorded for later: Just "The InBetween".
2019-07-12 02:19:10 UTC
[...]
True... :-)
Post by Ian J. Ball
[...]
I had the same reaction.

Post by Ian J. Ball
with old Jolene, and once Vic gets Jolene off her meds, Jolene shows Vic
her "power", and gives her some useful info on Charlie Manx.
Unfortuantely for Vic, Jolene 'taps out' of the fight immediately after
filling Vic in... And speaking of 'tapping out', Maggie bails on Vic
(who quickly talks her way out of the hospital after advice from Jolene)
after being traumatized by being run over by the Wraith...
I found that completely unbelievable and totally out of character. That
happened for no other reason than plot.

So Vic is on
Watching it now. I should have a two day catch up tomorrow.
Ian J. Ball
2019-07-12 02:53:36 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
In the mental hospital, Vic is roomed
with old Jolene, and once Vic gets Jolene off her meds, Jolene shows
Vic her "power", and gives her some useful info on Charlie Manx.
Unfortuantely for Vic, Jolene 'taps out' of the fight immediately after
filling Vic in... And speaking of 'tapping out', Maggie bails on Vic
(who quickly talks her way out of the hospital after advice from
Jolene) after being traumatized by being run over by the Wraith...
I found that completely unbelievable and totally out of character.
That happened for no other reason than plot.
I agree. While a PTSD reaction like that is plausible, I found that
reaction unlikely from a character like Maggie. It does seem like
"writer fiat", yes.
So Vic is on
her own in the fight against Manx.
  Next episode: It looks like the fight resumes, though Manx is in bad
shape after what happened in this episode...
Recorded for later: Just "The InBetween".
Watching it now. I should have a two day catch up tomorrow.
I use "The InBetween" as a "gap-filler" show - I only get to watching
it when I've either already run through all of my other "good" stuff,
or when the only "good" stuff I have left to watch is "challenging" and
it's a day when I'd rather watch something "lighter"...
2019-07-12 04:20:02 UTC
Grand Hotel (recorded) - "The Big Sickout" (ep. #4). Scrambling to make
Javi's blackmail payoff,
I must have missed something. Javi is blackmailing Mateo? I didn't
remember that. I'd been wondering if Mateo faked the note himself.

Post by Ian J. Ball
but, led by Nelson (Matt Shivley),
That weasel!
Post by Ian J. Ball
the staff retaliates with a
"sick-out". That forces Alicia, Santiago, Carolina, Yoli, and even Javi
(who has been cut off by his father anyway, and who now needs to work
for real - and pregnant Ingrid is not pleased to hear about this
development!) to "sub in" for the missing staff at the hotel. Alicia is
giving Danny the cold shoulder, until she overhears Danny shut Carolina
down. Later, Danny finds the blackmail note in Javi's trash, so Danny
knows that Javi is involved. (Oh, and Danny has a *girlfriend*
(Elizabeth McLaughlin) back home!!)
Do we know the character's name? I assume she wants revenge for the
sister too.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Santiago finally lets Mrs. P in on
the circumstances of Santiago's "hotel loan". And Gigi tries to work
over a magazine editor for the hotel's P.R., but it turns out the
editor is just a messanger-stooge for Gigi's fugitive ex-husband - the
editor later visits Carolina without Gigi's knowledge.
Alicia has made herself more and more immature, while her brother has
been showing random signs of growth in fits and spurts.

Are they ever going to make Ingrid look pregnant?

I was largely bored with this episode. I was sure hoping we'd hear the
rest of the backstory that they started last week on how Javi lost his
leg.
Ian J. Ball
2019-07-12 06:16:53 UTC
Grand Hotel (recorded) - "The Big Sickout" (ep. #4).
You realize I started a separate thread on this for you, right?...
Scrambling to make
Javi's blackmail payoff,
I must have missed something. Javi is blackmailing Mateo? I didn't
remember that. I'd been wondering if Mateo faked the note himself.
Sorry, I meant Mateo, not Javi.
Post by Ian J. Ball
the staff retaliates with a
"sick-out". That forces Alicia, Santiago, Carolina, Yoli, and even Javi
(who has been cut off by his father anyway, and who now needs to work
for real - and pregnant Ingrid is not pleased to hear about this
development!) to "sub in" for the missing staff at the hotel. Alicia is
giving Danny the cold shoulder, until she overhears Danny shut Carolina
down. Later, Danny finds the blackmail note in Javi's trash, so Danny
knows that Javi is involved. (Oh, and Danny has a *girlfriend*
(Elizabeth McLaughlin) back home!!)
Do we know the character's name? I assume she wants revenge for the
sister too.
No - I rewound, and the character's name was never said.
David Barnett
2019-07-12 03:50:38 UTC
I watched on Wednesday June 10:

ANDREW DENTON INTERVIEW: Jane Hameister (& father)
Australian teen polar hiker: N & S poles & Greenland.
Accompanied by her father (of two).
Adventurous family who believe in risk taking.
As usual very interesting.
--
David Barnett