What Did You Watch? 2020-08-03 (Monday)
2020-08-04 08:30:41 UTC
After my workout, I watched:

HOW THE UNIVERSE WORKS:
Several eps combined into a super-sized one.

"It took a worldwide pandemic. It took a 35% plunge in the stock
market. It took quarantining. It took many small businesses closing. It
took canceling practically everything, to bring the USA economy back to
the Obama high mark."
Ian J. Ball
2020-08-04 16:33:09 UTC
Cursed (Netlfix) - "Cursed" (ep. #2). They finally explain why the
villagers all thought Katherine Langford's Nimue was a freaky weirdo...
but the explanation is still unsatisfactory.
Nimue is still being chased by the Red Monks(?), but manages to
sneak back into the port city (at the expense of a tooth!) - there she
hacks of the hand of the thug she conned in the pilot, and then Arthur
escapes with her. Meanwhile, Floki-Merlin escapes from the King's
castle, and later meets up with the mysterious Widow(?), and admits
that Excalibur has stolen his magic - the Widow tells him to go find it
(which means finding Nimue) anyway.
Next episode: Arthur takes off (with Excalibur!) on Nimue! This
freaky weirdo can't keep a man either!!

soaps: B&B - Sally didn't get her pleaded-for forgiveness from Wyatt
(or even, really from, Flo... the bitch!), and it's still not clear
what is going to happen to Sally, or Dr. Penny. (I'm shocked no one in
here stated the obvious - that Sally is crazy, and should be
institutionalized, at least temporarily...) Meanwhile, Steffy is still
in pain from the accident. (Zzzzzz.)
DOOL - HottCiara, Crazy Claire, Shawn and Hope head to New York to
try to track Eve down, but discover that Eve has abandoned her
appartment. Eve and her henchman (a student of Dr. Rolf!!) being their
plan to "brainwash" Ben Weston into murdering HottCiara. (I'm going to
barf if this works after all of one day!!) Meanwhile, Sami still
"doesn't get it" about her interfering with stupid Allie (who wasn't in
this episode). And Will & Sonny are told that Allie never signed the
adoption papers.
GH - Whoa! GH is back with new episodes, and I was *not* expecting
to see Dominic Zamprogna back as Dante - they managed to keep that
little nugget a secret! Meanwhile, in a total shock I did not see
coming, NuNina *totally sandbags* EVOL!!1! Nelle at the custody
hearing, so Nelle is all but certain to lose her custody case (and is
now going to swear revenge on her real Mommy, Nina!!). Valentin reveals
to Brook Lynn (Amanda Setton!!) that he took her shares in ELQ, and
tries to make Brook Lynn "an offer she can't refuse" to stay quiet.

The Witcher (Netflix) - "Four Marks" (ep. #1.2). I must say, I didn't
care for this episode nearly as much as the pilot - they introduce a
host of new characters, which gives short shrift to the "originals",
especially Princess Cirilla.
That said, I did like the new character of the cynical Bard (Joey
Batey) who follows Geralt and gets caught up with Geralt's latest
adventure (which involves getting held captive by exiled elves).
But I'm not seeing the point of the whole subplot of the sorceress
played by MyAnna Buring and the hunchback apprentice she takes on.
Finally, Cirilla hooks up with, first "Rat Boy" (hey! it's Wilson
Radjou-Pujalte from Nickelodeon's "Hunter Street"!!), and then with
refuges of her own people... But it's not long before the bad guys show
up to slaughter them all. Cirilla barely escapes.

The Nice Guys (HBO Zone) - OK, I liked this - it was generally amusing.
I thought Angourie Rice as Ryan Gossling's teen daughter was especially
good... That said, I thought the plot (and ultimate "revelation")
didn't make a lick of sense, but ultimately that was all just a
MacGuffin to let these couple of losers find each other, work "a case",
and provide amusement.
Sidenote: There are a lot of interesting people in supporting or bit
parts in this - for example, I guess Yvonne Zima can now say she's
acted a scene with Russell Crowe!
2020-08-04 16:51:12 UTC
The Nice Guys (HBO Zone) - OK, I liked this - it was generally amusing.
I thought Angourie Rice as Ryan Gossling's teen daughter was especially
good... That said, I thought the plot (and ultimate "revelation")
didn't make a lick of sense, but ultimately that was all just a
MacGuffin to let these couple of losers find each other, work "a case",
and provide amusement.
Sidenote: There are a lot of interesting people in supporting or bit
parts in this - for example, I guess Yvonne Zima can now say she's
acted a scene with Russell Crowe!
I saw it when HBO first got it, I guess. It was amusing but a lot of the
comedy didn't work, which means I have no interest in seeing it again. I
think I blame the way the comedy failed on Crowe; it was a weak
performance. And for the 2000th time, you DON'T need to put on a 100
pounds of fat and blubber to act. It doesn't help you create the
character.

I agree with you about the plot. They made no effort whatsoever.
anim8rfsk
2020-08-04 16:56:05 UTC
Cursed (Netlfix) - "Cursed" (ep. #2). They finally explain why the
villagers all thought Katherine Langford's Nimue was a freaky weirdo...
but the explanation is still unsatisfactory.
And will continue to steadfastly remain so.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Nimue is still being chased by the Red Monks(?), but manages to
sneak back into the port city (at the expense of a tooth!) - there she
hacks of the hand of the thug she conned in the pilot, and then Arthur
escapes with her. Meanwhile, Floki-Merlin escapes from the King's
castle, and later meets up with the mysterious Widow(?),
Yeah, I don't think they ever explain her name.
Post by Ian J. Ball
and admits
that Excalibur has stolen his magic -
There's a huge plothole here but I'm avoiding spoilers for you.
Post by Ian J. Ball
the Widow tells him to go find it
(which means finding Nimue) anyway.
Next episode: Arthur takes off (with Excalibur!) on Nimue! This
freaky weirdo can't keep a man either!!
heh
Post by Ian J. Ball
[...]
Wait - what now?
Post by Ian J. Ball
The Witcher (Netflix) - "Four Marks" (ep. #1.2). I must say, I didn't
care for this episode nearly as much as the pilot - they introduce a
host of new characters, which gives short shrift to the "originals",
especially Princess Cirilla.
Okay, understand that the source material is a series of sometimes almost
unrelated short stories, like reading Grimm fairy tales or something, that
they're stringing together in to a (n attempted) coherent narrative in non
linear order. Think of it as a Witcher anthology with a thru line that won't
make sense 'til the end.
Post by Ian J. Ball
That said, I did like the new character of the cynical Bard (Joey
The Bard is Joxer from Xena *exactly*
They also originally appeared almost simultaneously; I wasn't able to figure
out who ripped off whom
Post by Ian J. Ball
Batey) who follows Geralt and gets caught up with Geralt's latest
adventure (which involves getting held captive by exiled elves).
But I'm not seeing the point of the whole subplot of the sorceress
played by MyAnna Buring and the hunchback apprentice she takes on.
She's my favorite character!
Post by Ian J. Ball
Finally, Cirilla hooks up with, first "Rat Boy" (hey! it's Wilson
Radjou-Pujalte from Nickelodeon's "Hunter Street"!!), and then with
refuges of her own people... But it's not long before the bad guys show
up to slaughter them all. Cirilla barely escapes.
The Nice Guys (HBO Zone) - OK, I liked this - it was generally amusing.
I thought Angourie Rice as Ryan Gossling's teen daughter was especially
good... That said, I thought the plot (and ultimate "revelation")
didn't make a lick of sense, but ultimately that was all just a
MacGuffin to let these couple of losers find each other, work "a case",
and provide amusement.
Sidenote: There are a lot of interesting people in supporting or bit
parts in this - for example, I guess Yvonne Zima
Best known for her older sister being nudely nekkid in the first ep of the
new Perry Mason, P.I.
2020-08-04 17:14:18 UTC
The Nice Guys (HBO Zone) - OK, I liked this - it was generally amusing.
I thought Angourie Rice as Ryan Gossling's teen daughter was especially
good... That said, I thought the plot (and ultimate "revelation")
didn't make a lick of sense, but ultimately that was all just a
MacGuffin to let these couple of losers find each other, work "a case",
and provide amusement.
Sidenote: There are a lot of interesting people in supporting or bit
parts in this - for example, I guess Yvonne Zima
Best known for her older sister being nudely nekkid in the first ep of the
new Perry Mason, P.I.
Actually, Yvonne is best known for playing spacey headcase psychos in
Lifetime movies.

But, yes - Madeline is best known for "The Nanny", and for getting
nakedly nude a lot as an adult (see also: "Californication"...).
(Sidenote: Madeline actually stars in her own Lifetime flick as well,
which, probably not coincidentally, is as close as Lifetime has ever
come to an "erotic thriller"...)
2020-08-04 18:57:53 UTC
The Nice Guys (HBO Zone) - OK, I liked this - it was generally amusing.
I thought Angourie Rice as Ryan Gossling's teen daughter was especially
good... That said, I thought the plot (and ultimate "revelation")
didn't make a lick of sense, but ultimately that was all just a
MacGuffin to let these couple of losers find each other, work "a case",
and provide amusement.
Sidenote: There are a lot of interesting people in supporting or bit
parts in this - for example, I guess Yvonne Zima
Best known for her older sister being nudely nekkid in the first ep of the
new Perry Mason, P.I.
Actually, Yvonne is best known for playing spacey headcase psychos in
Lifetime movies.
But, yes - Madeline is best known for "The Nanny", and for getting
nakedly nude a lot as an adult (see also: "Californication"...).
Clearly staged by the same guy that did Sarah Power on the same show.
2020-08-04 17:15:29 UTC
Cursed (Netlfix) - "Cursed" (ep. #2). They finally explain why the
villagers all thought Katherine Langford's Nimue was a freaky weirdo...
but the explanation is still unsatisfactory.
  Nimue is still being chased by the Red Monks(?), but manages to sneak
back into the port city (at the expense of a tooth!) - there she hacks
of the hand of the thug she conned in the pilot, and then Arthur escapes
with her. Meanwhile, Floki-Merlin escapes from the King's castle, and
later meets up with the mysterious Widow(?), and admits that Excalibur
has stolen his magic - the Widow tells him to go find it (which means
finding Nimue) anyway.
  Next episode: Arthur takes off (with Excalibur!) on Nimue! This
freaky weirdo can't keep a man either!!
I need to get to this soon.
Post by Ian J. Ball
[...]
Expect this to be an ongoing problem. Especially as they jump around in
time. At least you have the benefit of knowing they are jumping around.
Post by Ian J. Ball
[...]
I know I saw this before, but I don't remember if I liked it or not.

I watched:

The Wrong Stepmother (LMN) – Another Vivica A. Fox production. A woman,
who could have *easily* been the same character and actress as The Wrong
Wedding Planner, worms her way into a man's (Corin Nemec) heart. His
teenage daughter (Calli Taylor) doesn't trust her, but the youngest
daughter likes her. As Taylor starts to look into the wrong
stepmother's past, the bodies start to pile up to keep those secrets
hidden from the daughter. No one seemed to even notice when the evil
would be stepmother murdered dad's best friend. They might as well have
just hired the Wedding Planner actress and called this a sequel.
Towards the end Vivica A. Fox, who plays the high school principal,
looked right at the camera (or near enough) and said, "You are the Wrong
Stepmother!" It was a LOL moment. I'm pretty sure she did the exact
same thing in "The Wrong Wedding Planner."

Game of Death (blu-ray) - Bruce Lee's last movie. He originally wrote
it and was directing it, then he stopped filming half way through so he
could go make "Enter the Dragon." Lee died before he could return to
finish Game of Death, so the studio wrote an entirely new story as a
framing device for the footage they already had in the can. The new
story is about an actor who gets mixed up with the mob. The mob thinks
they killed him (real footage of Bruce Lee's death and his body in the
coffin was used). But the character faked his death. His final
confrontation at the end reuses edited versions of Lee's original
footage. By far the best parts of the movie are the parts that use the
original Lee footage at the end where he's wearing the now iconic yellow
suit and fights Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

I watched this with the commentary. It was very useful in pointing out
what was original footage and all the various script and behind the
scenes issues. The guy on the commentary said they only used about 11
minutes of the original footage when there was a *lot* more they
ignored. I haven't gotten around to watching it yet, but just produced
this year, is a remastered version of the original footage on the
blu-ray. I think it's basically going to be 35 minutes of the final
fight, the way it was originally meant to be seen. So I have that to
look forward to.

Penn & Teller: Fool Us – "P&T in 3D...Glasses"

The first magician was an illusionist. He started off with an escape.
Hen he balanced himself on a sharp needle. Since I assumed he had a
plate on his back, I was not impressed. When he was impaled I still
wasn’t impressed since I was expecting that. Although I didn’t expect
him to come back on stage still impaled with the sword and his hands
covered in blood. Not fooled.

The next magician drew a picture and had Alyson do the same. They each
put the picture in a paper folder and held it. Then they touched
fingers and when they pulled the pictures out they had swapped. I have
*no* idea how he did it. Not fooled. When Penn was talking, he said
"Gene Anderson." I looked the name up on YouTube and saw another
magician doing the exact same trick. I still don’t know how he did it.

The third magician did a card trick. He let Alyson and a guy from the
audience pick some cards talked a bit then did his big reveal that he
knew what cards they were going to pick. Not fooled. After Penn gave
his explanation I probably should have gone back and watched the trick
again. But I had already replayed the start of the trick twice and both
time it made my eyes glaze so I just didn't care enough to watch it
again and see if I could figure out what he did.

The fourth magician had Alyson put on a helmet and the audience wear 3D
glasses. The audience then all correctly shouted out a card Alyson was
holding. The magician then put the helmet on Teller and Alyson wore the
glasses and correctly read teller's mind to reveal what was on a piece
of paper Teller was wearing. Penn said, "We saw the light" whatever
that means. Not fooled.

Penn & Teller’s trick was a little similar to the third magician's
trick. P&T handed out 52 cards to the audience. He had someone call a
friend on their cell phone. The friend picked a card. The person in
the audience stood to reveal that card. Then everyone else in the
audience revealed their cards were never an option. I didn't really
care at the time I watched, but in hindsight, my guess is the audience
person was a plant. This episode just didn't really work for me. Maybe
because none of the magicians fooled them.
Ian J. Ball
2020-08-04 17:24:50 UTC
The Wrong Stepmother (LMN) – Another Vivica A. Fox production. A
woman, who could have *easily* been the same character and actress as
The Wrong Wedding Planner,
Yeah, but Cindy Busby is a lot better looking than Kristin Booth.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
worms her way into a man's (Corin Nemec) heart. His teenage daughter
(Calli Taylor) doesn't trust her, but the youngest daughter likes her.
Calli Taylor is much hotter-to-trot in her other flick, "The Wrong Boy
Next Door".

Personally, if they want to keep casting Taylor in these, I'm not going
to mind!... ;)
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
As Taylor starts to look into the wrong stepmother's past, the bodies
start to pile up to keep those secrets hidden from the daughter. No
one seemed to even notice when the evil would be stepmother murdered
dad's best friend. They might as well have just hired the Wedding
Planner actress and called this a sequel. Towards the end Vivica A.
Fox, who plays the high school principal, looked right at the camera
(or near enough) and said, "You are the Wrong Stepmother!" It was a
LOL moment.
I told you, that's become a "trope" of these.

My favorite one is "Looks like you messed with the wrong cheerleader!"
which Vivica delivers with a smirk! ;)
2020-08-04 18:16:24 UTC
[...]
I just had an idea. What if they made a meta one of these with Vivica
playing herself. She can be "The Wrong Producer" who has to kill anyone
who gets in her way to making the next "Wrong" movie.
Ian J. Ball
2020-08-04 18:19:01 UTC
[...]
I like that a lot, though I doubt they'll ever let Vivica play the villain. ;)
2020-08-04 19:11:21 UTC
Cursed (Netlfix) - "Cursed" (ep. #2). They finally explain why the
villagers all thought Katherine Langford's Nimue was a freaky weirdo...
but the explanation is still unsatisfactory.
Nimue is still being chased by the Red Monks(?), but manages to sneak
back into the port city (at the expense of a tooth!) - there she hacks
of the hand of the thug she conned in the pilot, and then Arthur escapes
with her. Meanwhile, Floki-Merlin escapes from the King's castle, and
later meets up with the mysterious Widow(?), and admits that Excalibur
has stolen his magic - the Widow tells him to go find it (which means
finding Nimue) anyway.
Next episode: Arthur takes off (with Excalibur!) on Nimue! This
freaky weirdo can't keep a man either!!
I need to get to this soon.
Take your time!
The Witcher (Netflix) - "Four Marks" (ep. #1.2). I must say, I didn't
care for this episode nearly as much as the pilot - they introduce a
host of new characters, which gives short shrift to the "originals",
especially Princess Cirilla.
Expect this to be an ongoing problem. Especially as they jump around in
time. At least you have the benefit of knowing they are jumping around.
Not sure if that's a benefit or not. :)
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
I finally got around to watching ENTER THE DRAGON last night as part of my
John Saxon tribute.
There are some plot gaps but still a good flick.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Penn & Teller: Fool Us – "P&T in 3D...Glasses"
The first magician was an illusionist. He started off with an escape.
Hen he balanced himself on a sharp needle. Since I assumed he had a
plate on his back, I was not impressed. When he was impaled I still
wasn’t impressed since I was expecting that. Although I didn’t expect
him to come back on stage still impaled with the sword and his hands
covered in blood. Not fooled.
Some of these guys clearly just come on to plug their acts.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
The next magician drew a picture and had Alyson do the same. They each
put the picture in a paper folder and held it. Then they touched
fingers and when they pulled the pictures out they had swapped. I have
*no* idea how he did it. Not fooled. When Penn was talking, he said
"Gene Anderson." I looked the name up on YouTube and saw another
magician doing the exact same trick. I still don’t know how he did it.
Yeah, me either. Though it seemed like something you could just buy from a
magic shop.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
The third magician did a card trick. He let Alyson and a guy from the
audience pick some cards talked a bit then did his big reveal that he
knew what cards they were going to pick. Not fooled. After Penn gave
his explanation I probably should have gone back and watched the trick
again. But I had already replayed the start of the trick twice and both
time it made my eyes glaze so I just didn't care enough to watch it
again and see if I could figure out what he did.
Same here
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
The fourth magician had Alyson put on a helmet and the audience wear 3D
glasses. The audience then all correctly shouted out a card Alyson was
holding. The magician then put the helmet on Teller and Alyson wore the
glasses and correctly read teller's mind to reveal what was on a piece
of paper Teller was wearing. Penn said, "We saw the light" whatever
that means. Not fooled.
From what Penn said, including "almost all the 3D glasses are the same" I'm
sure that Alyson's glasses were rigged to tell her the answer, maybe with a
light projection only she could see. My only question was whether she was in
on it from the beginning, or if they took a chance on her not blurting out
HEY I CAN SEE THE ANSWER THERE ON THE TABLE!
2020-08-04 19:28:29 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Penn & Teller: Fool Us – "P&T in 3D...Glasses"
The first magician was an illusionist. He started off with an escape.
Hen he balanced himself on a sharp needle. Since I assumed he had a
plate on his back, I was not impressed. When he was impaled I still
wasn’t impressed since I was expecting that. Although I didn’t expect
him to come back on stage still impaled with the sword and his hands
covered in blood. Not fooled.
Some of these guys clearly just come on to plug their acts.
He practically said as much! It was so obviously that Penn name dropped
where he performs. It was like, "There I told them where you perform,
now get off my stage!"
The next magician drew a picture and had Alyson do the same. They each
put the picture in a paper folder and held it. Then they touched
fingers and when they pulled the pictures out they had swapped. I have
*no* idea how he did it. Not fooled. When Penn was talking, he said
"Gene Anderson." I looked the name up on YouTube and saw another
magician doing the exact same trick. I still don’t know how he did it.
Yeah, me either. Though it seemed like something you could just buy from a
magic shop.
Penn regularly just says the name of another magician who also performed
the trick, probably first. But just because Penn knows *who* performed
the trick before does not mean Penn knows *how* the trick was performed.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
The fourth magician had Alyson put on a helmet and the audience wear 3D
glasses. The audience then all correctly shouted out a card Alyson was
holding. The magician then put the helmet on Teller and Alyson wore the
glasses and correctly read teller's mind to reveal what was on a piece
of paper Teller was wearing. Penn said, "We saw the light" whatever
that means. Not fooled.
From what Penn said, including "almost all the 3D glasses are the same" I'm
sure that Alyson's glasses were rigged to tell her the answer, maybe with a
light projection only she could see. My only question was whether she was in
on it from the beginning, or if they took a chance on her not blurting out
HEY I CAN SEE THE ANSWER THERE ON THE TABLE!
I went to a magic show once and I got called on by a magician (actually
I was called on a couple of times). I could feel him lifting my watch
when he did it. I just kept my mouth shut and didn't say anything.
Then he did his big reveal, hey look I have your watch. On the other
hand when I was younger and saw a "hypnotist" I got weeded out early on.
I think he could tell that I (and the others weeded out) had no
intention of pretending to be hypnotized for his routine.

It's probably understood that Alyson will play along with whatever they
are doing. Even those exaggerated faces she makes are probably just
part of the act. That might be why the other guy is gone. Not that I
don't prefer Alyson! :-)
anim8rfsk
2020-08-04 19:39:13 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Penn & Teller: Fool Us – "P&T in 3D...Glasses"
The first magician was an illusionist. He started off with an escape.
Hen he balanced himself on a sharp needle. Since I assumed he had a
plate on his back, I was not impressed. When he was impaled I still
wasn’t impressed since I was expecting that. Although I didn’t expect
him to come back on stage still impaled with the sword and his hands
covered in blood. Not fooled.
Some of these guys clearly just come on to plug their acts.
He practically said as much! It was so obviously that Penn name dropped
where he performs. It was like, "There I told them where you perform,
now get off my stage!"
And 'comp my daughter next time she goes to your show' :D
The next magician drew a picture and had Alyson do the same. They each
put the picture in a paper folder and held it. Then they touched
fingers and when they pulled the pictures out they had swapped. I have
*no* idea how he did it. Not fooled. When Penn was talking, he said
"Gene Anderson." I looked the name up on YouTube and saw another
magician doing the exact same trick. I still don’t know how he did it.
Yeah, me either. Though it seemed like something you could just buy from a
magic shop.
Penn regularly just says the name of another magician who also performed
the trick, probably first. But just because Penn knows *who* performed
the trick before does not mean Penn knows *how* the trick was performed.
Hmm. Is saying "You used the Lipscomb method" good enough?
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
The fourth magician had Alyson put on a helmet and the audience wear 3D
glasses. The audience then all correctly shouted out a card Alyson was
holding. The magician then put the helmet on Teller and Alyson wore the
glasses and correctly read teller's mind to reveal what was on a piece
of paper Teller was wearing. Penn said, "We saw the light" whatever
that means. Not fooled.
From what Penn said, including "almost all the 3D glasses are the same" I'm
sure that Alyson's glasses were rigged to tell her the answer, maybe with a
light projection only she could see. My only question was whether she was in
on it from the beginning, or if they took a chance on her not blurting out
HEY I CAN SEE THE ANSWER THERE ON THE TABLE!
I went to a magic show once and I got called on by a magician (actually
I was called on a couple of times). I could feel him lifting my watch
Remember those guys on variety shows who would whip off an audience members
shirt without removing their jacket? There's just no way those guys weren't
in on it!
when he did it. I just kept my mouth shut and didn't say anything.
Then he did his big reveal, hey look I have your watch. On the other
hand when I was younger and saw a "hypnotist" I got weeded out early on.
I think he could tell that I (and the others weeded out) had no
intention of pretending to be hypnotized for his routine.
Penn & Teller have a great BULLSHIT! episode savaging hypnotism. I think
it's free on Amazon PRIME. I always want somebody to bring it up on shows
like Law & Order when their 'experts' act like it's a real thing.
It's probably understood that Alyson will play along with whatever they
are doing. Even those exaggerated faces she makes are probably just
yeah
part of the act. That might be why the other guy is gone. Not that I
don't prefer Alyson! :-)
hee hee
2020-08-04 19:13:50 UTC
[...]
Clicked send too soon.

But Alyson's prediction at the start SAID nobody would fool them!

:D

In the early days, when Jonathan was hosting, one of the firm rules was 'no
plants in the audience'

Of course

A) times may have changed, or

2) the rules may not apply to P&T, or

third) they may have lied about the rules all along