Ray Donovan not done yet
EGK
2020-02-14 13:20:56 UTC
Looks like they're going to bring it back for a better finish.

https://pagesix.com/2020/02/13/ray-donovan-will-get-a-proper-ending-after-sudden-cancellation/

“Ray Donovan” will return to give fans a proper ending after being
unceremoniously axed by Showtime, sources have exclusively confirmed.

The Liev Schreiber drama will either come back for a few final episodes or a
movie to lay the characters to rest, Page Six can reveal.

Fans were left fuming after Showtime canceled the show a week ago — denying
them a proper ending after the Season 7 finale finished with a cliffhanger.
Series showrunner David Hollander admitted that he and the show’s creative
team had been blindsided.

Schreiber hinted at possible news on Instagram, saying: “It seems like your
voices have been heard,” he told fans in message Wednesday evening. “Too
soon to say how or when, but with a little luck and your ongoing support,
there will be more ‘Ray Donovan.’”
Adam H. Kerman
2020-02-14 17:13:27 UTC
Post by EGK
[...]
A non-announcement announcement. Every time I see one of these, it hints
strongly of the producers trying to force programming executives to
order more episodes. How often to we hear that no deal results?

I wish they'd keep their mouths shut till they're actually contracted
for the episode order and there is something to announce. "Sources"
cannot "exclusively confirm" shit till the episodes have actually been
ordered.

Some of us fans may have enjoyed Season 7 as a stand-alone story, but it
sure as hell didn't fit into the overall story arc as the circumstanes
surrounding the sister's death were entirely retconned, mostly letting
Mickey off the hook, which gets rid of the justification in the back
story for Ray (I can't remember if Terry was part of it) with Ezra's
help set up Mickey to put him in prison for two decades.

They've retconned major story elements throughout, especially turning
Abby from a useless drudge and terrible mother into a saint.

I'm sure there's a way to wrap things up, but further retconning Mickey,
in which he's actually redeemed, won't be satisfactory.
suzeeq
2020-02-14 17:32:10 UTC
Post by EGK
[...]
\
I thought all along that Ray and Ezra framed Mickey to get back at him
for leaving Ray to deal with his dying mother and raise the other kids.
And for leaving virtually no money to do so. Bridget's death was partly
caused by this sure, but I never thought it was all Mickey's fault.
EGK
2020-02-14 18:18:00 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by EGK
[...]
I didn't think they framed Mickey for the armorded car heist but I did think
they turned him in for it. I can't even remember now but how did that actor
Ezra and Ray represented in season one figure in to Micky going to prison? I
thought that was the frame job.

At any rate, I agree with Adam that they retconned the hell out of it in
season 7.

I still found the show entertaining but there's no doubt it got more and
more ridiculous and convoluted as it went along.

I won't count on them being able to give a satisfying ending anyway since
Ray has proven to be as bad or worse than Mickey ever was. Terry and
Bunchy don't deserve long prison terms but Ray would be cell-mates with
Mickey for life if there was true justice.
Adam H. Kerman
2020-02-14 19:11:08 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by EGK
[...]
You're thinking too much about the backstory we saw on screen in season
7 and not what we were told years ago. Here's what I vaguely remember
about the previous backstory:

Bridget was using drugs. She got them from a guy who worked with Mickey.
Later that was retconned into the actor represented by Ezra that EGK was
talking about. I'm not sure they were consistent with whether Mickey
dealt for that guy or that guy dealt for Mickey, or it depended on who
had more drugs for sale.

Bridget was using drugs, and either jumped off a roof or fell off a roof
under the influence.

There's no way to be sympathetic to Ray for framing Mickey just because
Mickey was a shitty human being and an absent husband and absent father.
Ray realized that they had to put Mickey away to keep Ray, Terry, and
Bunchy alive; they didn't know Daryll existed.

It was all retconned away in Season 7. I'm sorry, but there's no
possible way to be sympathetic to Ray's betrayal of Mickey at this
point without Mickey being indirectly responsible for Bridget's death.
suzeeq
2020-02-14 20:42:00 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by EGK
[...]
I misunderstood what you were getting at. In this season, Sullivan and
gang got Mickey sent to prison for the heist, while previously, he had
been framed by Ezra and Ray. Mickey was indirectly responsible for
Bridget because if he hadn't been involved with Sullivan she wouldn't
have babysat his daughter and had more access to drugs. I thought she
comitted suicide because she was pregnant, which we found was Sullivan's
fault.
RichA
2020-02-15 01:47:13 UTC
Post by EGK
[...]
Yes, it is sad when one of the few adult programs that doesn't deal with scifi or fantasy is removed.