What Did You Watch? 2019-08-10 (Saturday)
2019-08-11 18:58:29 UTC
Let's see - what did I watch yesterday...:

Wu Assassins (The Netflix) - Episodes #3 & #4. In these episodes,
Kathryn Winnick's CG is drawn more firmly into the action when Kai
warns CG about his "vision" concerning her, and then she discovers that
Kai is the Wu assassin! and that Uncle Six is the Fire Wu!! The latter
happens when Kai (as the Wu assassin monk (Mark Dacascos)) finally
faces off against Uncle Six - and Uncle Six basically "wins", and then
Six figures out that Kai is the Wu assassin~ We also get background on
how Kai and his three friends crossed paths with Uncle Six. We also
learn that B-word Ying Ying was the "first" Wu assassin (Kai is
supposed to be the "last"...), and that the Scottish crime lord (Tommy
Flanagan) was a former Wu assassin (which means he must be one of the
other 4 Wu...).
Sidenote: There was a guest appearance from Jeff Fahey in episode #3.
I found ep's #3 & #4 more engrossing than #1 & #2, so I think the
series is picking up as it goes.

golf - Day 3 at the Northern Trust (this year in Jersey City, at a
course with some amazing views! - e.g. this course is right next to
Liberty Island!!), the first leg of the FedEx Cup playoffs. Some of the
usual suspects were at the top of the leaderboard - e.g. Patrick Reed.

Widows (HBO Go) - My appraisal of this is that is both over-long, and
overly-intracate. Basically, when the "heist" is actually a small part
of your overall "heist picture", you've done it wrong. (IOW, "Heat",
this ain't!) P.S. On the plus side, there is Elizabeth Debicki topless
nudity in this - Debicki has an unusual build: tall and skinny, but
with big boobs. You don't see that very often... OTOH, it comes in one
of those dumb scenes when somebody "has sex" with their underwear still
on... >:/

The 100 (recorded) - "The Blood of Sanctum" (ep. #6.13, the sixth
season finale). A mostly disappointing wrap-up to season #6 - they
firmly write out the very last of the long-term "adult" characters, a
development in shows like this that I absolutely hate. (Though,
inexplicably, Russell (JB Bourne) is still alive at the end of this...)
Meanwhile, Madi is "saved", but at the expense of frying the
"commanders" mind-drive (IOW Madi is no longer the "commander")... Oh,
and the EVOL!!1! commander has escaped into the ship's computer system
(most likely). Finally, there's more idiocy with the "time anomaly"
(though I think it faded away at the end...), and
REFORMED-QUEEN-BITCHFACE is mortally wounded (but at the same time
"involved"), and Diyoza's now adult kid (but not Diyoza herself, so I
guess Ivana Milicevic really has been written out too...) returns to do
the deed.
This was a really inauspicious set up for the final season #7. On
the one hand, I expected them to kill off Madi (and possibly Murphy)
and that didn't do that, which is good. But I thought this season might
end with them all leaving for "Beta world" ("Sanctum" is "Alpha
world"), but that didn't happen either. Bottom line: I'm not sure what
the final season's storyline is going to be, but this finale didn't
make me want to find out... :/

Fallen Hearts (Lifetime) - Kelly Rutherford's role in this one was
minor, but at least she still played it to the hilt! - luckily,
somebody passed Benz's and Rutherford's "note" on to Jessica Clement,
who plays Heaven's hillbilly jealous and vengeful "sister", Fanny, to
the hilt!! in this one, and who drives most of the action... Anyway,
there was a lot of stupid in this one (like Heaven getting her beloved
"brother" killed, and Heaven's husband falling for Fanny's pathetically
obvious attempts at "seduction", and Heaven's lover/uncle not being
dead after all). But I was entertained by Clement in this one, so I
think it actually rates ahead of the second flick, "Dark Angel".
The next flick in the series – #4: Gates of Paradise - disposes of
Annalise Basso's Heaven, transferring the action on to Heaven's
daughter, though it looks like Priestly will return (though in "old
age" make-up!). Suffice it to say, I'm not looking forward to this one
without Basso and Clement... :/
Sidenote: "Fallen Hearts" takes place in the late-70s or early-80s
(when was Connect Four first released?...), so I'm guessing "Gate of
Paradise" will take place circa 2000?...

Aquaman (HBO) - I'm not sure why this was such a monster hit - I didn't
think it was very good. (I certainly didn't enjoy it as much as the
movie I mention below!) I mean, yeah, it *looks* good (if you like
CGI). But I didn't think it was all that great a story (the "Mantis"
subplot was particularly lame...), and Amber Heard looked ridiculous in
the red wig.
Let's hope they do better with the sequel...

P.S. I also watched most of "Justice League" before "Aquaman" - for my
money this is still the "best" of the recent DC flicks, and I think
it's a shame that they pulled the plug on it, leaving just WW and
Aquaman flicks.

Recorded for later: Frankie Drake Mysteries (x2).

And what do you watch, on a lazy Saturday?...
2019-08-11 19:09:15 UTC
The 100 (recorded) - "The Blood of Sanctum" (ep. #6.13, the sixth
That's not the name
Post by Ian J. Ball
[...]
And we'll always have GONE
Post by Ian J. Ball
Aquaman (HBO) - I'm not sure why this was such a monster hit - I didn't
Because it had nothing whatsoever to do with Aquaman - they did a Prince
Namor the Sub-Mariner movie and just *called* it Aquaman.
Post by Ian J. Ball
think it was very good. (I certainly didn't enjoy it as much as the
Certainly it's the best of the DC movies of this millennium.
Post by Ian J. Ball
movie I mention below!) I mean, yeah, it *looks* good (if you like
CGI). But I didn't think it was all that great a story (the "Mantis"
subplot was particularly lame...), and Amber Heard looked ridiculous in
the red wig.
Let's hope they do better with the sequel...
P.S. I also watched most of "Justice League" before "Aquaman" - for my
money this is still the "best" of the recent DC flicks, and I think
No movie with Ben Afflac in it is better than any other movie without Ben
Afflac in it.
Post by Ian J. Ball
it's a shame that they pulled the plug on it, leaving just WW and
Aquaman flicks.
Recorded for later: Frankie Drake Mysteries (x2).
Double the skinny!
Post by Ian J. Ball
And what do you watch, on a lazy Saturday?...
NCISLA, disgust elsewhere
Hall Pass, extreme disgust elsewhere
2019-08-11 19:22:10 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
it's a shame that they pulled the plug on it, leaving just WW and
Aquaman flicks.
Recorded for later: Frankie Drake Mysteries (x2).
Double the skinny!
Doesn't that make her either normal size or non-existent?
instinct are running screaming.
anim8rfsk
2019-08-11 19:42:16 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
it's a shame that they pulled the plug on it, leaving just WW and
Aquaman flicks.
Recorded for later: Frankie Drake Mysteries (x2).
Double the skinny!
Doesn't that make her either normal size or non-existent?
Yeah, I'm not sure how the math works on that, but either way, she's
delectable!
2019-08-11 21:14:10 UTC
Wu Assassins (The Netflix) -
I'm not sure what this is, but i should probably not read your summaries
since it looks like something I might want to watch.
Post by Ian J. Ball
snip
Fallen Hearts (Lifetime) -
I have this and the first two on the DVR. I'll get to them. I'll get
to them...
Post by Ian J. Ball
Aquaman (HBO) - I'm not sure why this was such a monster hit - I didn't
think it was very good.
It was very watchable.

Post by Ian J. Ball
movie I mention below!) I mean, yeah, it *looks* good (if you like CGI).
But I didn't think it was all that great a story (the "Mantis" subplot
was particularly lame...), and Amber Heard looked ridiculous in the red
wig.
  Let's hope they do better with the sequel...
P.S. I also watched most of "Justice League" before "Aquaman" - for my
money this is still the "best" of the recent DC flicks, and I think it's
a shame that they pulled the plug on it, leaving just WW and Aquaman
flicks.
There are still a ton of DC movies in the works. But I would like it if
they were more explicitly interconnected with a Justice League 2 on the
schedule.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Recorded for later: Frankie Drake Mysteries (x2).
And what do you watch, on a lazy Saturday?...
Not much. But with my vacation coming real *soon* and my DVR on
overload I have been turning my attention to clearing out/deleting as
much as possible. I did get through:

Preacher - First two episodes from last week's season 4 premier. I
guess it was OK, but some of the jokes were too out there for my tastes.
But the show has always been that way.

BH90210 - "The Reunion" - Sort of mocumentary with fictionalized
versions of the original cast deciding to reboot the show. I never
watched the original series so I don't have that emotional attachment
and there were probably inside jokes that went right over my head. I
found myself on Wikipedia while watching looking up what was real and
what was fictionalized. From what I could tell 99% of it was
fictionalized. But I guess I more or less liked it. The fictionalized
Tori Spelling was really out there. I guess it's good she can laugh at
herself, but a little of her character went a long way. I did like that
they briefly acknowledged Luke Perry's death at the start with some
dialogue and then another tribute at the end.

Better Luck Tomorrow (TMC) 2002 Justin Lin movie about a group of Asian
American high school kids who get caught up in crime. To clear space
I've been deleting most of the movies on my DVR unwatched. But this one
managed to capture and hold my interest. Early in the movie I saw the
actor who played "Han" in several Fast and Furious movies (which Justin
Lin also directed). As soon as I saw him I thought to myself hey
that's "Han," then it was revealed the character's name was also "Han."
That sent me straight to Wikipedia where I learned that according to
both the actor and director Han from BLT is the *same* Han from the F&F
franchise. This movie serves as his backstory. Cool. The movie also
stars other actors who popped up in F&F movies but as different
characters as well as John Cho ("Harold" and "Sulu"), and Jason Tobin
who I just watched staring in the Cinemax series "Warrior."

Batman: Hush (4k disc) - Latest Warners direct to video animated movie.
Based on the comic book story where Batman goes up against a new villain
named Hush who is pulling the strings of all the other villains and even
manages to get control over Superman. It was an OK movie. Not great or
anything. I did like that it is also within the continuity of all the
other movies.

Boy (Netflix rental) 2010 Taika Waititi movie about an 11-year-old New
Zealand boy in 1984, with an overactive imagination. The boy tries to
connect with his ex-con father (Taika). I generally like Taika's movies
and sense of humor, but I struggled with this one. The movie itself
seemed fine. But the characters all spoke with *thick* and I do mean
THICK accents that made it almost impossible to understand what anyone
was saying half the time. To make matters worse, there were no
subtitles on the disc. So it was pretty much sink or swim when it came
to following along with what anyone was saying. The movie is dialogue
heavy. So I sank. It's not that I couldn't follow the plot, I just
didn't know what they were actually saying half the time. But while I
can't say it's a great movie, it is a quirky Taika Waititi movie, full
of humorous fantasy sequences, so it's worth checking out if you like
Taika's style.
anim8rfsk
2019-08-11 22:57:03 UTC
BH90210 - "The Reunion" - Sort of mocumentary with fictionalized
versions of the original cast deciding to reboot the show. I never
watched the original series so I don't have that emotional attachment
and there were probably inside jokes that went right over my head. I
found myself on Wikipedia while watching looking up what was real and
what was fictionalized. From what I could tell 99% of it was
fictionalized. But I guess I more or less liked it. The fictionalized
Tori Spelling was really out there. I guess it's good she can laugh at
herself, but a little of her character went a long way. I did like that
they briefly acknowledged Luke Perry's death at the start with some
dialogue and then another tribute at the end.
Is this a one-shot? They're advertising the snot out of it all over my DVR.
2019-08-11 23:47:18 UTC
BH90210 - "The Reunion" - Sort of mocumentary with fictionalized
versions of the original cast deciding to reboot the show. I never
watched the original series so I don't have that emotional attachment
and there were probably inside jokes that went right over my head. I
found myself on Wikipedia while watching looking up what was real and
what was fictionalized. From what I could tell 99% of it was
fictionalized. But I guess I more or less liked it. The fictionalized
Tori Spelling was really out there. I guess it's good she can laugh at
herself, but a little of her character went a long way. I did like that
they briefly acknowledged Luke Perry's death at the start with some
dialogue and then another tribute at the end.
Is this a one-shot? They're advertising the snot out of it all over my DVR.
It's a series. In the first episode they all went to a 90210 reunion
convention. While there Tori kept complaining about being broke and
complaining about not getting any money from the merchandising of the
show. Then she stole a dress on display and got arrested along with her
cast mates who helped. Brian Austin Green was portrayed as married to a
famous singer who overshadowed him. I looked up and in real life he's
married to Megan Fox. Jason Priestley was a bitter TV director with
anger issues, and couldn't get any respect. Ian Ziering was a bit of a
jerk and married to a successful woman who he caught cheating on him.
Shannen was portrayed as a Diva who didn't interact with the rest of the
cast. There was at least one more female character, I'm guessing Jennie
Garth, but I don't recall her story. I think she was mostly just there.
By the end of the episode, I think Tori came up with the idea that
they reboot the show to make money. It was generally amusing. But the
scenes with Tori Spelling were so over the top. It was like she was in
a different show as the rest of the them.

Checking Wikipedia...Priestly *is* a TV director and he directs the 3rd
episode of BH90210. is Priestly known in real life to have anger issues?
Ian J. Ball
2019-08-12 00:16:10 UTC
[...]
Not only that, but he directs the third movie in the "Heaven" series,
"Fallen Hearts", the one that aired last night!!
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
is Priestly known in real life to have anger issues?
I don't think in later life. I think there may have been an incident
back in the 90s, but I'm not sure...
2019-08-12 01:34:07 UTC
[...]
Thanks. That's ... bizarre.

Priestly directed the 'Die Hard' episode of Private Eyes.
2019-08-12 02:32:10 UTC
Sun, 11 Aug 2019 14:14:10 -0700 Arthur
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
Yep. Just saw it. There were things he did with lighting I liked
quite a bit. Also, he didn't cheat by having his character step out of
most of the episode -- although Cindy had more solo scenes than usual,
not that I minded looking at Cindy.