What Did You Watch? 2019-08-06 (Tuesday)
2019-08-07 08:30:41 UTC

CHIPS:
"Bright Flashes". Marcia Brady's husband and the guy who runs this new
thing called a "laser light show" use the laser to rob people blind. A
silly idea looks even sillier when a cheesy red line added in
post-production that hits people in the general direction of their
face.

CHIPS:
"Battle of the Bands". The patrolmen track a band of punk rockers. A
lame attempt at being "hip and mod" by Hollywood, fer sure!
Commentary:
UBI: Wow, that was the WORST version of Twist And Shout I have EVER
heard!
UBI: Casting one of the daughters from EIGHT IS ENOUGH for the role of
Snow Pink was a very poor decision. I don't believe she's "New
Wave" at all.
UBI: The punk rockers aren't much better... I swear the leader is
wearing a mohawk wig!
UBI: Hee hee, I remember Grossman trying to explain mosh pit dancing
when it origionally aired...
UBI: Wow, Snow Pink sucks. I don't blame the audience for getting
rowdy.
UBI: We're not sppsd to like the punk band, right?
UBI: ... and here come the cops.
UBI: Well, that was anticlimactic... the punker was going immoliate
himself but Ponch foiled his plan by blowing out his lighter.
UBI: Oh. My. GAWD! Ponch is dressed like a gay disco cowboy lip syncing
a cover of Celebration!
UBI: No, that can't be lip syncing to be THAT bad! He really IS
singing!
UBI: And the winner of the battle of the bands is... Snow Pink?!?!
Boo! Shenanigans!

CHIPS:
"Alarmed".Bonnie is determined to bring a former mentor who became a
car thief to justice. Did you know Chipendales used to feature female
mud wrestling? I have no clue why Ponch, Jon, Bonnie, and her cousin
went there but it turned out to be foreshadowing of Bonnie making her
arrest. Meanwhile, someone is toying around with s car alarm expert's
efforts to secure the mayor's car. Well, it was fairly obvious from the
start it was his daughter trying to get attention.

ELI ROTH'S HISTORY OF HORROR:
"Zombies". The history of hungry zombies, begining with NIGHT OF THE
LIVING DEAD.

ACTION BRONSON WATCHES ANCIENT ALIENS [WHILE STONED]:
"The Replicants". Action Bronson, The Alchemist and Big Body Bes
remember life before reincarnation with a freestyle from Sisqo, Dru
Hill and a one-man-band from the future. Not nearly as good as it used
to be, as they pretty much ignore the ep of ANCIENT ALIENS being
played.

FAMILY GUY:
"Guy Robot".

Watching Democrats come up with schemes to "catch Trump" is like
watching Wile E. Coyote trying to catch Road Runner.
Arthur Lipscomb
2019-08-07 14:32:34 UTC
This is a two day catch up. I watched:

Animal Kingdom - "Julia" - I didn't give it my full attention.

Penn & Teller: Fool Us - "2nd Chance Foolers" - Past failed foolers
return for a second chance. The first magician did a card trick that he
created. It fooled them bad. The next magician magically transferred
the Chinese language into Alison’s head. I know I normally don't say
this, but this trick screamed Alison was in on it. Penn's guess that he
was palming the answers for Alison implies she could have been in on it,
although that wasn't the answer, so 2 foolers in a row. The third
magician did a sleight of hand trick involving Alison's phone appearing
in a locked safe. But P&T weren't fooled. The 4th magician did a trick
making numbers on a phone calculator disappear. Not fooled, but I
learned something new about my phone's calculator. For P&T's trick
teller was placed in two boxes with the audience offered the opportunity
to close their eyes if they didn't want to see how he escapes. He then
escaped. Funny trick.

City on a Hill - "High On Th Looming Gallows Tree" - The ending of this
episode will blow your mind.

And while stuck at a hotel that for some reason didn't have the CW so I
couldn't watch P&T, I watched "My Demon Lover" (DVD) 1987 movie staring
Scott Valentine as a young man with a curse that causes him to literally
get horny, whenever he gets horny. Michelle Little also stars as the
stereotypical 80s ditzy love interest. It has a fairly predictable plot
with Valentine being mistaken for a serious killer who is also out and
about the same time as Valentine. The movie never does explain why the
killer chose that exact moment to go on a killing spree. But the movie
is more comedy than anything else, so you're not to think too hard about
those sorts of things. I've been carrying this (and other) DVD around
with me for several years for whenever I travel and need a movie to
watch at a hotel. I've got a few DVDs with mono sound and I figure if
I'm going to be stuck watching a movie with bad picture quality and no
surround sound anyway, a hotel room is as good a place as any...
Originally the idea was to watch on a laptop, but thanks to modern
technology, I can plug a HDMI cable into the hotel TV for a slightly
better viewing experience. And after years and years of lugging this
stupid disc around, I *finally* had the chance to watch it. Which I'm
thinking is the first time I've watched the movie since it was airing on
cable in the 80s. It was pretty much how I remembered it. Outside of
nostalgia, it's not worth revisiting.
anim8rfsk
2019-08-07 16:00:49 UTC
Penn & Teller: Fool Us - "2nd Chance Foolers" - Past failed foolers
This was a strangely unengaging episode. I found myself struggling to pay
attention.
return for a second chance. The first magician did a card trick that he
created. It fooled them bad.
From P&T's expressions (I'm never sure if they cut to them live or just edit
in a reaction later) he started fooling them right from the start when he
filled the card box.
He did a whole bunch of different things, some of which was obvious, some of
which wasn't. I'm not sure just exactly which got P&T.
The next magician magically transferred
the Chinese language into Alison’s head. I know I normally don't say
this, but this trick screamed Alison was in on it.
Oh, absolutely. It was obvious from her expressions that she was seeing
English. By the time they got to CHICKEN she wasn't even trying to hide it.
Plus what if she didn't like Boba Fett tea?

While he's getting the trophy, Penn mimes seeing a card in his palm to
Alyson, and she shakes her head 'no'
Penn's guess that he
was palming the answers for Alison implies she could have been in on it,
although that wasn't the answer, so 2 foolers in a row.
The word 'palming' itself seemed to be the only thing they got wrong.
The third
magician did a sleight of hand trick involving Alison's phone appearing
If Alyson isn't in on this, how did he know in advance what kind of phone she
had? Or that Penn had her number? Or that both of them had their phones on
them? Or that both of them had their phones turned on? I for one wouldn't.
And why don't their phones ring with telemarketing calls?

But OMG I hate his partner. She's the Janice Karman to his Ross Bagdasarian,
Jr.
in a locked safe. But P&T weren't fooled.
Yeah, he had his hands all over that safe. Penn's keyword seemed to be
'elevate'
The 4th magician did a trick
making numbers on a phone calculator disappear. Not fooled, but I
learned something new about my phone's calculator.
LOL, yeah, me too. And Penn gave it away when he mentioned screen captures.
For P&T's trick
teller was placed in two boxes with the audience offered the opportunity
to close their eyes if they didn't want to see how he escapes. He then
escaped. Funny trick.
Yep. :) BTW, that trick box design looked a lot like the earlier iPhone safe
2019-08-08 05:22:50 UTC
Penn & Teller: Fool Us - "2nd Chance Foolers" - Past failed foolers
This was a strangely unengaging episode. I found myself struggling to pay
attention.
Same. I completely forgot what the 4th trick was. I had to go back and
rewatch it.
Post by anim8rfsk
return for a second chance. The first magician did a card trick that he
created. It fooled them bad.
From P&T's expressions (I'm never sure if they cut to them live or just edit
[...]
I assumed details like that were worked out ahead of time. The same way
they sometimes pick audience members ahead of time.
Post by anim8rfsk
But OMG I hate his partner. She's the Janice Karman to his Ross Bagdasarian,
Jr.
I honestly struggled with should I shouldn't I comment on the partner.
Oh I had some things to say. Then I decided to keep with my
longstanding policy of if I don't have something nice to say about
someone, then don't say anything at all.
Post by anim8rfsk
in a locked safe. But P&T weren't fooled.
Yeah, he had his hands all over that safe. Penn's keyword seemed to be
'elevate'
I missed that. I thought it was a pretty good trick although not
particularly original.
2019-08-08 06:46:52 UTC
Penn & Teller: Fool Us - "2nd Chance Foolers" - Past failed foolers
This was a strangely unengaging episode. I found myself struggling to pay
attention.
Same. I completely forgot what the 4th trick was. I had to go back and
rewatch it.
I had to rewatch even to reply to you!
Post by anim8rfsk
return for a second chance. The first magician did a card trick that he
created. It fooled them bad.
From P&T's expressions (I'm never sure if they cut to them live or just edit
[...]
Pre-arranged audience picks is one of the things that Penn has said is
absolutely against the rules.

One of the funniest things I've seen was a magician in Vega$ who picked a
pretty girl out of the audience at random to help with a trick.
"You, the blonde in the red, could you come up on stage?
He asks the series of questions about if they've ever met before etc. except
he's getting the opposite answers than you'd expect. Finally:
"Are you my wife?"
"Yes!"
Post by anim8rfsk
But OMG I hate his partner. She's the Janice Karman to his Ross Bagdasarian,
Jr.
I honestly struggled with should I shouldn't I comment on the partner.
Oh I had some things to say. Then I decided to keep with my
longstanding policy of if I don't have something nice to say about
someone, then don't say anything at all.
:)
Post by anim8rfsk
in a locked safe. But P&T weren't fooled.
Yeah, he had his hands all over that safe. Penn's keyword seemed to be
'elevate'
I missed that. I thought it was a pretty good trick although not
particularly original.
I never got past the "I have several replicas of your iPhone here"
I mean, the fix is in!
2019-08-07 17:13:37 UTC
Not much:

The Worst Witch (Netflix) - Ep's #3.2-3.4. I actually watched ep. #3.2
& 3.3 over the weekend, but forgot to mention them.
Season #3 still continues to be the weakest of the three, what with
making Mildred pretty unlikeable, and making Ethel Hallow pretty much
100% EVOL!!1! by this point. They've also bumped a recurring character
teacher, Mrs. Tapioca the cook, up to main cast, and added her
heretofore unseen daughter to the cast.
Anyway, these episodes continue with Mildred acting like a little
s*** and breaking the rules to "turn her mom into a witch too". Mildred
succeeds in actually *stealing* the "Make a Wish"(?) potion, and gives
her mom magic powers. Wackiness ensues. Meanwhile, Ethel doubles-down
on being a EVOL b**** trying to take down Mildred and Mildred's mother
(who's now the school's art teacher). They even get Miss Hardbroom
acting like more of a b**** about the latter development than usual,
which kind of ruins her shtick.
The one episode which was kind of OK was ep. #3.4, "The Swamp
Troll", where Ethel's "casting magic with EVOL!!1! (intent)" finally
catches up to her and turns her into a hideous troll (i.e. the
"outside" now matches the "inside"!). This episode also seems to
possibly resolve the storyline with Mildred's mom, as she "gives" her
magic up, which should keep them all out of trouble.
So, there's lot's about season #3 I don't like: Mildred, Mildred's
mom, Ethel, Maud and Enid seemingly being shoved more in the
background, Ethel trying to "corrupt" Clarice. The one thing I do kind
of like is Sybil Hallow being wary, if not downright dismissive, of
older sister Ethel.
Hopefully, with the Mildred's-mom-gets-magic storyline (seemingly)
resolved this season will improve.

soaps: DOOL - Ted is dead (shocker), so Kristen has to dispose of the
body. Hope continues to snoop, and may make common cause with Stefan
DiMera. Gabi reports her "triumph" to Brady, and then warns Brady that
she's not going to "hand over" DiMera Enterprises to him - instead she
intends to use it to be his rival.
GH - Jason frantically searches for Sam. Michael tries to tell Sonny
about meeting whom we know is Cassandra Pierce, but doesn't get to
finish the story. Honestly, I fell asleep near the end of this episode,
so I'm not sure what happened at the end.

Grand Hotel (recorded) - "Long Night's Journey Into Day" (ep. #8). Javi
suffers no permanent damage from the balcony collapse, but the doctors
tell Santiago and Alicia that Javi is a pill-popping addict! We then
get background on Javi's accident where he lost his leg, and Santiago
wears Javi down and gets him to go to rehab. Danny and Alicia are "back
on". Carolina and Yoli visit their father (Adrian Pasdar) and *of
course* he's actually conning them! Ingrid loses the baby. Mrs. P gets
inadvertantly stoned (don't ask), nearly blows it with an 'internet
influencer" (Joe Adler from the latter-days of "The Mentalist"), and
spills the secret about why Santiago keeps Mateo on at the hotel.
Next episode: We meet Mateo's big mob boss, and it's... Katey Sagal?!??!!

Betch (recorded yesterday) - And we *finally* get an "earlier" episode
of this (IMDb indicates that this was season #3, ep. #3...). This
episode was from 2016, and guest-starred Liza Koshy (among others) - in
fact, the first thing I notice about these episodes compared to the
most recent ones (season #6(?)) is that there's a lot less "naval
gazing" in these episodes, and there are a lot more "featured players"
and guest stars beyond the main "betches". In addition, while she's
"credited" main cast, this episode is early enough that they don't even
feature Jessica Marie Garcia in the pictures of the cast in the show's
title sequence!
Anyway, this episode was OK - there were a few bits of amusing parts
(the opening sequence where Koshy shows her mad "pun" skills I found
pretty amusing...). So far, I think I prefer earlier "Betch" to later
"Betch"...

Guidance (recorded) - Ep. #2.6(?). After confirming that Mr. Ridley was
the victim of the dance shooting at the end of the previous episode,
this episode confirms that Ridley (Ryan Rottman) is indeed seducing
students (currently it's Chachi Gonzales' cheerleader Brianna
character, and possibly Leah Lewis' musician character Liddy), and was
responsible for knocking up the former student Polly ("Last Man
Standing's" Molly McCook). Ridley also moves to convince the principal
(Eric Allan Kramer) to put the guidance counsellor Alana (Erica Dasher)
on "sick leave" (mostly to stop her investigation into Ridley). But the
kids, primarily Hilary, Smiley and Tyler James are gathering evidence
against Ridley, and Alana ends up joining them.

Zac & Mia (recorded) - I ended up recording the last episode of season
#2, just to see how this series ended. It was still cloying treacle,
right up to the end, and I'm honestly not even sure what the ending
*meant*!! >:/

Recorded for later: Pandora (ick!), Guidance (x4!), Blood & Treasure
(season finale!), and The HUNDRED[sic] (penultimate season finale!!).
2019-08-07 19:22:30 UTC
Recorded for later: Pandora (ick!), Guidance (x4!), Blood & Treasure
(season finale!), and The HUNDRED[sic] (penultimate season finale!!).
Yeah, I haven't managed to bring myself to watch Pandora yet.
Bonus points for using the full name of The 100.
2019-08-08 08:35:04 UTC
Recorded for later: Pandora (ick!), Guidance (x4!), Blood & Treasure
(season finale!), and The HUNDRED[sic] (penultimate season finale!!).
Yeah, I haven't managed to bring myself to watch Pandora yet.
I think I'm now two eps behind, but seeing a total of six postings about it
in my TV show site is not motivating me to catch up.

suzeeq
2019-08-07 19:29:25 UTC
soaps: DOOL - Ted is dead (shocker), so Kristen has to dispose of the body.
I like how she just left the trunk in the middle of the room, but it was
no longer there by the time she left!
Hope continues to snoop, and may make common cause with Stefan
DiMera. Gabi reports her "triumph" to Brady, and then warns Brady that
she's not going to "hand over" DiMera Enterprises to him - instead she
intends to use it to be his rival.
I don't forsee a problem with this at all.
Arthur Lipscomb
2019-08-08 05:26:27 UTC
snip
Post by Ian J. Ball
Grand Hotel (recorded) - "Long Night's Journey Into Day" (ep. #8). Javi
suffers no permanent damage from the balcony collapse, but the doctors
tell Santiago and Alicia that Javi is a pill-popping addict! We then get
background on Javi's accident where he lost his leg, and Santiago wears
Javi down and gets him to go to rehab. Danny and Alicia are "back on".
Carolina and Yoli visit their father (Adrian Pasdar) and *of course*
he's actually conning them!
I don't think I saw that coming, then again I wasn't paying close enough
attention to give it much thought.

Post by Ian J. Ball
inadvertantly stoned (don't ask), nearly blows it with an 'internet
influencer" (Joe Adler from the latter-days of "The Mentalist"), and
spills the secret about why Santiago keeps Mateo on at the hotel.
I *hated* this episode especially that stupid high on drugs sequence.
#2, just to see how this series ended. It was still cloying treacle,
right up to the end, and I'm honestly not even sure what the ending
*meant*!!  >:/
Recorded for later: Pandora (ick!),
Now wait a minute, I watch *one* episode and refuse to declare it the
worst show ever and people crawl out of the woodwork to come down on
this show. And you're on episode fricken 4!?!?!?!

Well I still have them all on the DVR, I guess they must be good enough
to keep watching. :-P

Guidance (x4!), Blood & Treasure
Ian J. Ball
2019-08-08 06:05:18 UTC
Recorded for later: Pandora (ick!),
Now wait a minute, I watch *one* episode and refuse to declare it the
worst show ever and people crawl out of the woodwork to come down on
this show. And you're on episode fricken 4!?!?!?!
Well I still have them all on the DVR, I guess they must be good enough
to keep watching. :-P
It's summer, and we're near the end of the "summer TV season" (IOW,
"new" programming is about to get *real* sparse for the next few
weeks!!), and I'm actually coming up on an approximately 4 week "lull"
in my work, so I've been recording it in sort of for sort of a "how low
can it go?!" exercise.

But if it were the "regular" TV season, and this were up against
"regular" programming, I promise you that I wouldn't give it the time
of day...
2019-08-08 06:49:01 UTC
What Did You Watch? 2019-08-06 (Tuesday)
August 7, 2019 at 11:05:18 PM MST
Recorded for later: Pandora (ick!),
Now wait a minute, I watch *one* episode and refuse to declare it the
worst show ever and people crawl out of the woodwork to come down on
this show. And you're on episode fricken 4!?!?!?!
Well I still have them all on the DVR, I guess they must be good enough
to keep watching. :-P
It's summer, and we're near the end of the "summer TV season" (IOW,
"new" programming is about to get *real* sparse for the next few
weeks!!), and I'm actually coming up on an approximately 4 week "lull"
in my work, so I've been recording it in sort of for sort of a "how low
can it go?!" exercise.
But if it were the "regular" TV season, and this were up against
"regular" programming, I promise you that I wouldn't give it the time
of day...
I'm not even certain I can bring myself to snark it.
2019-08-08 06:48:10 UTC
Recorded for later: Pandora (ick!),
Now wait a minute, I watch *one* episode and refuse to declare it the
worst show ever and people crawl out of the woodwork to come down on
this show. And you're on episode fricken 4!?!?!?!
Well I still have them all on the DVR, I guess they must be good enough
to keep watching. :-P
No. It's becoming physically painful.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Guidance (x4!), Blood & Treasure
Has no one at all posted about the senses shattering series finale of Blood &
Treasure?
2019-08-08 07:03:48 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Guidance (x4!), Blood & Treasure
Has no one at all posted about the senses shattering series finale of
Blood & Treasure?
I'll be covering it in tomorrow's WDYW? thread for Wednesday, though I
may not post that until late morning tomorrow...
2019-08-08 07:08:40 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Guidance (x4!), Blood & Treasure
Has no one at all posted about the senses shattering series finale of
Blood & Treasure?
I'll be covering it in tomorrow's WDYW? thread for Wednesday, though I
may not post that until late morning tomorrow...
K, thanks. I'll be happy to react but I didn't feel like starting it off.
2019-08-08 08:10:56 UTC
Has no one at all posted about the senses shattering series finale of Blood &
Treasure?
Sigh. I'm glad that's over. I'm sorry it was renewed, and yes, I'd have
preferred more Hooten and the Lady instead of this crap.

None of it wasn't STOOPID.

Danny takes some meaningless clue and with record-setting leaps of logic
decides that the James Callis character is Karim Farouck, not the Oded
Fehr character.

In case we, the audience, think Danny's great leap of illogic isn't the
least bit convincing, we get backstory featuring reverse Helsinki
syndrome: the hostage (Farouk as Simon) convinces the terrorist (I
forgot the character's birth name) that he's going to use him for
revenge upon his father (Jay Reece, the John Larroquette character) by
using his mother's name.

The set-piece finale is again at Reece's museum, who has invited Our
Heroes to the opening even though he's starting to suspect them.

Reece has named it for Ana Castillo, whom he'd murdered last week.

Farouk's great strike against the west is in Egypt at the museum against
Reece's guests: He's weaponized the poison that killed his mother in
that convoluted back story plot. Oh! But there's an antidote, which
Farouk waits until after the poison has been released to take. Why?
There's no reason for it.

At some point during the melee, Father Chuck gets kidnapped and neither
Danny nor Lexi notice.

At some point, Lexi wanders off without telling her allies and discovers
the biological warfare containers.

Shaw tries to leave the party when things start getting bad (they
noticed that Farouk's men are in the building), then rescues Danny and
Lexi and Father Chuck. It's not like he changed his mind, but the
terrorists chained the doors. They're just chains. You'd think someone
could have found a tool or something in the workroom. All the doors are
chained on the outside but the terrorists are all inside. It's not clear
what their escape route was.

Lexi decides not to murder Reece's henchwoman who is probably the one
who murdered her father (not Farouk), claiming Danny gave her a
conscience. Oh, the writing is klever with a capital K 'cuz she gets to
talk Danny out of letting Reece die of the biological agent. There's a
moment of, uh, humor in which Father Chuck proclaims that he's had
medical training but Lexi just jabs the antidote into his tricep, hard.

At some point, Danny joins the melee by... it makes no sense...
climbing over a partition (which we don't see, and how the hell is that
supposed to secure antiquities?) and crashing through a skylight ever
though there's no possible access to the roof.

There is no explanation at all as to how our heroes, breathing the same
air as our dying museum guests, are entirely unaffected by the
biological agent.

Gwen leads Egyptian soldiers into the museum so there can be an exchange
of gunfire (which if the biological agent hasn't killed the guests,
collateral damage will), destroying all the artifacts.

Farouk escapes. Danny asks Gwen to use her magic international police
powers to deputize him. Finding Farouk over the commercial break, Danny
dramatically arrests him. Danny then undeputizes himself, handing the
badge (why would he get a badge?) back to Gwen.

Early in the episode, lots of Brotherhood men and women are killed. The
Brotherhood has a paramilitary unit; who knew? They're after Farouk's
men, but it's a diversion. No biological agent, just a booby trapped
truck. The female leader of the unit takes a phone call from Lexi during
the battle! That was probably the biggest STOOPID of all.
Adam H. Kerman
2019-08-08 16:56:55 UTC
Has no one at all posted about the senses shattering series finale of Blood
& Treasure?
Sigh. I'm glad that's over. I'm sorry it was renewed, and yes, I'd have
preferred more Hooten and the Lady instead of this crap.
Yes; yes; and yes.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
None of it wasn't STOOPID.
My major problem with it was that it was BOORING.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Danny takes some meaningless clue and with record-setting leaps of logic
decides that the James Callis character is Karim Farouck, not the Oded
Fehr character.
Mostly because 'he's always there' by which logic he and Lexi and Shaw are
prime suspects. And Gwen.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
In case we, the audience, think Danny's great leap of illogic isn't the
least bit convincing, we get backstory featuring reverse Helsinki
syndrome: the hostage (Farouk as Simon) convinces the terrorist (I
forgot the character's birth name) that he's going to use him for
revenge upon his father (Jay Reece, the John Larroquette character) by
using his mother's name.
And the stupid begins, or at least ignites into full flame.
So this name swap only happened a couple years ago? Baltar went his whole
life, went to boarding school in England, came to visit his father, under his
real name, and nobody freaking remembers him? And why is his name scarier
again? And didn't the terrorist just throw away his own reputation? And why
don't people think Baltar is the terrorist when they meet him under his new
name? And even if using the name Baltar is a good idea, why let Baltar live?
That the Oded Fehr character had been committing terrorism under the
name Farouk only back to 2014 seemed like a retcon. No one linked the
previous crimes he'd committed, particularly the kidnapping of Simon, to
the subsequent crimes?

Farouk's henchmen knew Simon had killed fake Farouk, but they never went
after Simon, apparently regarding Simon as their new leader, even though
Simon just betrayed their cause.

I'm not sure what name Simon used at boarding school, but I had assumed
it was Simon. Maybe I'm wrong.
There really needs to be a subplot somewhere where Baltar is fabulously
wealthy, perhaps through his father, and is funding this stuff.
He'd been, I guess, fencing antiquities for years, which begs the
question: Why did the Oded Fehr character kidnap Simon? He thought he
could get ransom, but it was Simon's idea to use stolen antiquities as a
major source of terrorism funding.

He couldn't have possibly thought Simon was all that wealthy in the
first place, if he was doing large scale fencing of antiquities
at that point.
Of course, all in all, I'm not entirely sure why he's so mad at his father in
the first place. Or why his father hid them. Or why his father was so
obsessed with Cleopatra that it set this entire chain of events into motion.
It's dumber than that. There was no reason whatsoever for Reece to have
abandoned Farouk's mother. He didn't want his father's life. The search
for Cleopatra was his father's obsession, not his. It only became his
passion after his father died.

Even if he didn't want to marry her and raise the spawn, nothing at all
prevented him from supporting her and paying child support, given that
he claimed he loved her. Certainly after his father died, nothing at all
prevented him from reuniting with her.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
The set-piece finale is again at Reece's museum, who has invited Our
Heroes to the opening even though he's starting to suspect them.
Reece has named it for Ana Castillo, whom he'd murdered last week.
I wonder if he arranged that before or after he croaked her.
I had the same thought, given that it wasn't just a temporary sign.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Farouk's great strike against the west is in Egypt at the museum against
Reece's guests: He's weaponized the poison that killed his mother in
that convoluted back story plot. Oh! But there's an antidote, which
Farouk waits until after the poison has been released to take. Why?
There's no reason for it.
At least they called it an antidote and not a vaccine. Did you notice the
good guys had Gwen MAKE their antidote, hundreds of doses, on her way in from
the helicopter boom? She just didn't pick it up, she had them MAKE it.
Yeah. Given that the disease was somewhat common in that part of the
world, there should have been plenty available for pickup.

Also, they knew several episodes back what biological agent Farouk had
weaponized. Why weren't they more ready?
Post by Adam H. Kerman
At some point during the melee, Father Chuck gets kidnapped and neither
Danny nor Lexi notice.
And gets taken to a different room than they will be too.
What was the point of demonstrating to the audience that Lexi and Danny
had stopped giving a shit about the danger they'd led Chuck into and
that he was in trouble?
Post by Adam H. Kerman
At some point, Lexi wanders off without telling her allies and discovers
the biological warfare containers.
Remember they thought Farouk (whichever) was going to sell Anthony and
Cleopatra for funding for this? And ... he didn't? What *did* either set of
terrorists do for funding here?
They were stealing antiquities between commercial breaks, then fencing
them between episodes.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Shaw tries to leave the party when things start getting bad (they
noticed that Farouk's men are in the building), then rescues Danny and
Lexi and Father Chuck. It's not like he changed his mind, but the
terrorists chained the doors.
see below
Post by Adam H. Kerman
They're just chains. You'd think someone
could have found a tool or something in the workroom. All the doors are
chained on the outside but the terrorists are all inside. It's not clear
what their escape route was.
It's worse than that. There are two ways out of the storeroom where they were
fighting. Danny goes left and ends up on the wrong side of chained doors to
the exhibit. Lexi goes right and ends up in the lobby, and ... there ARE NO
CHAINED DOORS BETWEEN THE LOBBY AND THE EXHIBIT. People from that direction
just come and go.
Yeah, good point.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Lexi decides not to murder Reece's henchwoman who is probably the one
who murdered her father (not Farouk),
Well, Farouk ordered it, Cute Shorts Girl just planted the bimb.
No, they decided (with no evidence at all) that she was Reece's
henchman, not Farouk's, and that her father knew about Reece's
background, something he had plenty of time to reveal in the pilot episode.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
claiming Danny gave her a
conscience. Oh, the writing is klever with a capital K 'cuz she gets to
talk Danny out of letting Reece die of the biological agent.
It's like he ate his own peanut butter cups.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
There's a
moment of, uh, humor in which Father Chuck proclaims that he's had
medical training but Lexi just jabs the antidote into his tricep, hard.
And these people dyeing of mummy cancer just get better just like that.
Oh. Did we see any of the guests recover?

btw, that's another thing that made no sense. I thought the weaponized
biological agent was a bacteria, because whatever deadly pathogen grew
in tombs would have been mold, not bacteria. It's still not clear to me
how the mother died of it.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
At some point, Danny joins the melee by... it makes no sense...
climbing over a partition (which we don't see, and how the hell is that
supposed to secure antiquities?) and crashing through a skylight ever
though there's no possible access to the roof.
It never occurred to me he actually went outside. I thought it was some sort
of false ceiling to make the display seem like a tomb. In the pyramids. With
a skylight.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
There is no explanation at all as to how our heroes, breathing the same
air as our dying museum guests, are entirely unaffected by the
biological agent.
Nope. Nor, for that matter, the villains. I mean, did the henchmen take shots
earlier but Baltar waited?
That's what I figured, but as I said earlier, it made no sense that the
James Callis character hadn't taken the antidote before entering the
museum.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Gwen leads Egyptian soldiers into the museum so there can be an exchange
of gunfire (which if the biological agent hasn't killed the guests,
collateral damage will), destroying all the artifacts.
I'm still not sure what the Hell the purpose of the convoy boom distraction
was except to kill off another cute character.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Farouk escapes. Danny asks Gwen to use her magic international police
powers to deputize him.
Somewhere BTR howled in rage, and mountain goats were startled.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Finding Farouk over the commercial break, Danny
dramatically arrests him. Danny then undeputizes himself, handing the
badge (why would he get a badge?) back to Gwen.
How else would you know he was a deputy? Probably got a gun with one bullet
in it, too. And wouldn't this have been more effective had he arrested Reese?
Andy made Barney keep the bullet in his shirt pocket! Get the reference
right!
And they point out, quite rightly, that Farouk hasn't killed anybody except
the evil terrorist who would have killed them, and what can they pin on him
without Cute Short Girl's testimony? For that matter, what can they pin on
Reese?
After all those weeks, it's amazing that they gathered... no evidence
whatsoever.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Early in the episode, lots of Brotherhood men and women are killed. The
Brotherhood has a paramilitary unit; who knew? They're after Farouk's
men, but it's a diversion. No biological agent, just a booby trapped
truck. The female leader of the unit takes a phone call from Lexi during
the battle! That was probably the biggest STOOPID of all.
AND hangs up without the vital information Lexi called to give her.
Series finale for me.
anim8rfsk
2019-08-08 17:19:09 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
Yeah
Post by Adam H. Kerman
No one linked the
previous crimes he'd committed, particularly the kidnapping of Simon, to
the subsequent crimes?
None of that made sense.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Farouk's henchmen knew Simon had killed fake Farouk, but they never went
after Simon, apparently regarding Simon as their new leader, even though
Simon just betrayed their cause.
Or that
Post by Adam H. Kerman
I'm not sure what name Simon used at boarding school, but I had assumed
it was Simon. Maybe I'm wrong.
He was sent there as a boy, and they tormented him because they all knew he
was a bastard. I'm hard pressed to believe he wasn't using his real name.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
There really needs to be a subplot somewhere where Baltar is fabulously
wealthy, perhaps through his father, and is funding this stuff.
He'd been, I guess, fencing antiquities for years, which begs the
question: Why did the Oded Fehr character kidnap Simon? He thought he
could get ransom, but it was Simon's idea to use stolen antiquities as a
major source of terrorism funding.
The only reason I see to kidnap Baltar is that you knew he was Galahad's son.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
He couldn't have possibly thought Simon was all that wealthy in the
first place, if he was doing large scale fencing of antiquities
at that point.
Yep
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Of course, all in all, I'm not entirely sure why he's so mad at his father in
the first place. Or why his father hid them. Or why his father was so
obsessed with Cleopatra that it set this entire chain of events into motion.
It's dumber than that. There was no reason whatsoever for Reece to have
abandoned Farouk's mother. He didn't want his father's life. The search
for Cleopatra was his father's obsession, not his. It only became his
passion after his father died.
Maybe. I'm not clear on the timeline there, and Galahad could have been lying
about the obsession.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Even if he didn't want to marry her and raise the spawn, nothing at all
prevented him from supporting her and paying child support, given that
he claimed he loved her.
He wrote her that one time check.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Certainly after his father died, nothing at all
prevented him from reuniting with her.
Yeah, I see *no* reason to turn away his son when the mother was dying.
The set-piece finale is again at Reece's museum, who has invited Our
Heroes to the opening even though he's starting to suspect them.
Reece has named it for Ana Castillo, whom he'd murdered last week.
I wonder if he arranged that before or after he croaked her.
I had the same thought, given that it wasn't just a temporary sign.
But then I thought "he's rich enough to get that done over the weekend"
Farouk's great strike against the west is in Egypt at the museum against
Reece's guests: He's weaponized the poison that killed his mother in
that convoluted back story plot. Oh! But there's an antidote, which
Farouk waits until after the poison has been released to take. Why?
There's no reason for it.
At least they called it an antidote and not a vaccine. Did you notice the
good guys had Gwen MAKE their antidote, hundreds of doses, on her way in from
the helicopter boom? She just didn't pick it up, she had them MAKE it.
Yeah. Given that the disease was somewhat common in that part of the
world, there should have been plenty available for pickup.
Maybe they kept it in gallon drums and just had to fill the epi-pens
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Also, they knew several episodes back what biological agent Farouk had
weaponized. Why weren't they more ready?
see above?
At some point during the melee, Father Chuck gets kidnapped and neither
Danny nor Lexi notice.
And gets taken to a different room than they will be too.
What was the point of demonstrating to the audience that Lexi and Danny
had stopped giving a shit about the danger they'd led Chuck into and
that he was in trouble?
I was hoping it was so we'd cheer when Cute Shorts Girl killed Danny.
At some point, Lexi wanders off without telling her allies and discovers
the biological warfare containers.
Remember they thought Farouk (whichever) was going to sell Anthony and
Cleopatra for funding for this? And ... he didn't? What *did* either set of
terrorists do for funding here?
They were stealing antiquities between commercial breaks, then fencing
them between episodes.
lol
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Lexi decides not to murder Reece's henchwoman who is probably the one
who murdered her father (not Farouk),
Well, Farouk ordered it, Cute Shorts Girl just planted the bimb.
No, they decided (with no evidence at all) that she was Reece's
henchman, not Farouk's, and that her father knew about Reece's
background, something he had plenty of time to reveal in the pilot episode.
Oh. Yeah, you're right. One less reason to be mad at Farouk. Either Farouk.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
There's a
moment of, uh, humor in which Father Chuck proclaims that he's had
medical training but Lexi just jabs the antidote into his tricep, hard.
And these people dyeing of mummy cancer just get better just like that.
Oh. Did we see any of the guests recover?
Reese got better instantly. He couldn't breath before the shot.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
btw, that's another thing that made no sense. I thought the weaponized
biological agent was a bacteria, because whatever deadly pathogen grew
in tombs would have been mold, not bacteria. It's still not clear to me
how the mother died of it.
Long term exposure from the many artifacts she handled (no, seriously)
Post by Adam H. Kerman
There is no explanation at all as to how our heroes, breathing the same
air as our dying museum guests, are entirely unaffected by the
biological agent.
Nope. Nor, for that matter, the villains. I mean, did the henchmen take shots
earlier but Baltar waited?
That's what I figured, but as I said earlier, it made no sense that the
James Callis character hadn't taken the antidote before entering the
museum.
My only wank is that if you aren't already sick, it makes you sick. Like the
flu vaccine does to me every other year. :D
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Finding Farouk over the commercial break, Danny
dramatically arrests him. Danny then undeputizes himself, handing the
badge (why would he get a badge?) back to Gwen.
How else would you know he was a deputy? Probably got a gun with one bullet
in it, too. And wouldn't this have been more effective had he arrested Reese?
Andy made Barney keep the bullet in his shirt pocket! Get the reference
right!
Andy *told* him to, but Barney shot the one bullet plenty of times.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
And they point out, quite rightly, that Farouk hasn't killed anybody except
the evil terrorist who would have killed them, and what can they pin on him
without Cute Short Girl's testimony? For that matter, what can they pin on
Reese?
After all those weeks, it's amazing that they gathered... no evidence
whatsoever.
Oh, that was a great moment. Lexi says to Danny "we're the only ones that
know Reese is a rat bastard!"

Uh ... except for the people that just told YOU. And the people you
immediately told! At least a half a dozen people you know know!
2019-08-08 18:25:44 UTC
Has no one at all posted about the senses shattering series finale of
Blood & Treasure?
Sigh. I'm glad that's over. I'm sorry it was renewed,
As I said elsewhere, it depends what they do in season #2 - if they
"start fresh", I think there's hope for it.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
and yes, I'd have
preferred more Hooten and the Lady instead of this crap.
That goes without saying.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
None of it wasn't STOOPID.
[snip]
Early in the episode, lots of Brotherhood men and women are killed.
Oh, yeah - I forgot that they killed off Maxim Roy. She was Fred's hope
for season #2, but they needlessly killed her off here... :/
2019-08-08 18:28:13 UTC
Has no one at all posted about the senses shattering series finale of
Blood & Treasure?
Sigh. I'm glad that's over. I'm sorry it was renewed, . . .
As I said elsewhere, it depends what they do in season #2 - if they
"start fresh", I think there's hope for it.
Where are you hiding all these highly creative producers and writers from
Hollywood that you are always convinced exist, Ian?
Ian J. Ball
2019-08-08 18:37:21 UTC
Has no one at all posted about the senses shattering series finale of
Blood & Treasure?
Sigh. I'm glad that's over. I'm sorry it was renewed, . . .
As I said elsewhere, it depends what they do in season #2 - if they
"start fresh", I think there's hope for it.
Where are you hiding all these highly creative producers and writers from
Hollywood that you are always convinced exist, Ian?
Well, as I also said elsewhere, if they *refuse* to learn from the
mistakes of "summer TV series past", and simply rehash Farouk and Reece
in season #2, than I'm also *out*!

But I'm hoping against hope that they realize that this show should be
an "anthology series", with a new "treasure hunt" (with mostly new
characters) every season... They do that, and I'll definitely stick
with it! :)
2019-08-08 18:42:20 UTC
Has no one at all posted about the senses shattering series finale of
Blood & Treasure?
Sigh. I'm glad that's over. I'm sorry it was renewed, . . .
As I said elsewhere, it depends what they do in season #2 - if they
"start fresh", I think there's hope for it.
Where are you hiding all these highly creative producers and writers from
Hollywood that you are always convinced exist, Ian?
Well, as I also said elsewhere, if they *refuse* to learn from the
mistakes of "summer TV series past", and simply rehash Farouk and Reece
in season #2, than I'm also *out*!
But I'm hoping against hope that they realize that this show should be
an "anthology series", with a new "treasure hunt" (with mostly new
characters) every season... They do that, and I'll definitely stick
with it! :)
Very little of what we saw this season had anything to do with hunting
antiquities. How many episodes has it been since we saw Lexi use her
world's greatest thief skills?

It would have been a much more entertaining show if it had actually been
about what we were promised. Simon could have been a villain just
because he was fencing antiquities, enitrely without the fake terrorist/
revenge against the father plot.
anim8rfsk
2019-08-08 18:56:23 UTC
[...]
When they broke into the bank vault.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
It would have been a much more entertaining show if it had actually been
about what we were promised. Simon could have been a villain just
because he was fencing antiquities, enitrely without the fake terrorist/
revenge against the father plot.
Almost any alternate decisions they made would have been better.
2019-08-11 13:23:59 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Danny takes some meaningless clue and with record-setting leaps of logic
decides that the James Callis character is Karim Farouck, not the Oded
Fehr character.
Mostly because 'he's always there' by which logic he and Lexi and Shaw are
prime suspects. And Gwen.
Chuck could also be a candidate since he's been around for much of the
planning.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
We don't know that he came to visit his father under his Farouk name.
Though he may have used that when he got to Reece's offices.

I get the idea that Farouk wasn't a scary name until he hooked up with
that terrorist. Which means that Farouk the terrorist has only been in
existence for a very short time and yet is seen as the most dangerous
guy in the world? Fast work.

In one sense the guy did throw away his reputation but in another
sense he protected himself as Farouk is guilty of the crimes and I
doubt there's any ID showing him as Farouk. Meaning it would have
gotten really messy if he had been arrested as they try to unwind who
he is and just what crimes he committed and what crimes were committed
by someone else. I believe the only reason they let Baltar live is
because he was both their source of new antiquities to steal and a
good front man for selling them. Something they could do on the black
market but at only a fraction of what Baltar could get.
There really needs to be a subplot somewhere where Baltar is fabulously
wealthy, perhaps through his father, and is funding this stuff.
Of course, all in all, I'm not entirely sure why he's so mad at his father in
the first place. Or why his father hid them. Or why his father was so
obsessed with Cleopatra that it set this entire chain of events into motion.
They explained that as his mother getting sick, Baltar coming to Reece
for money and Reece turning him away which ended up killing his
mother. Apparently Reece was embarrassed so he hid the two of them
away. Perhaps because of what his dad might do? As for his obsession
with Cleopatra I guess we just have to take that as one of Reece's
oddities. The way some people really like old cars or fast cars.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
The set-piece finale is again at Reece's museum, who has invited Our
Heroes to the opening even though he's starting to suspect them.
Reece has named it for Ana Castillo, whom he'd murdered last week.
I wonder if he arranged that before or after he croaked her.
I'm going to guess after. Reece really does have a heart.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Farouk's great strike against the west is in Egypt at the museum against
Reece's guests: He's weaponized the poison that killed his mother in
that convoluted back story plot. Oh! But there's an antidote, which
Farouk waits until after the poison has been released to take. Why?
There's no reason for it.
At least they called it an antidote and not a vaccine. Did you notice the
good guys had Gwen MAKE their antidote, hundreds of doses, on her way in from
the helicopter boom? She just didn't pick it up, she had them MAKE it.
She's very good at her job, and at medical work as well.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
At some point, Lexi wanders off without telling her allies and discovers
the biological warfare containers.
Remember they thought Farouk (whichever) was going to sell Anthony and
Cleopatra for funding for this? And ... he didn't? What *did* either set of
terrorists do for funding here?
They did say the group had other trinkets at some point. Was it enough
to fund everything? Sure, let's say it was. :)
Post by Adam H. Kerman
They're just chains. You'd think someone
could have found a tool or something in the workroom. All the doors are
chained on the outside but the terrorists are all inside. It's not clear
what their escape route was.
It's worse than that. There are two ways out of the storeroom where they were
fighting. Danny goes left and ends up on the wrong side of chained doors to
the exhibit. Lexi goes right and ends up in the lobby, and ... there ARE NO
CHAINED DOORS BETWEEN THE LOBBY AND THE EXHIBIT. People from that direction
just come and go.
I think by this point the continuity person just said 'Screw it all,
I'm getting drunk."
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Lexi decides not to murder Reece's henchwoman who is probably the one
who murdered her father (not Farouk),
Well, Farouk ordered it, Cute Shorts Girl just planted the bimb.
So it's not like Anna Silk's character actually did anything bad,
right?
Post by Adam H. Kerman
claiming Danny gave her a
conscience. Oh, the writing is klever with a capital K 'cuz she gets to
talk Danny out of letting Reece die of the biological agent.
Ugh... That was less than enjoyable.
It's like he ate his own peanut butter cups.
If only he had been allergic to peanuts. They could have saved a lot
of money. But then Farouk/Baltar wouldn't have had the enjoyment of
seeing Reece and friends die the same way his mother did, and any good
terrorist can't let an important act like the death of his mother go
without taking proper revenge.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
There's a
moment of, uh, humor in which Father Chuck proclaims that he's had
medical training but Lexi just jabs the antidote into his tricep, hard.
And these people dyeing of mummy cancer just get better just like that.
Hey, Gwen is REALLY good at making antidotes on helicopter trips.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
There is no explanation at all as to how our heroes, breathing the same
air as our dying museum guests, are entirely unaffected by the
biological agent.
Nope. Nor, for that matter, the villains. I mean, did the henchmen take shots
earlier but Baltar waited?
For Lexi and Danny they already got the antidote/vaccine/whatever back
when they found the dead scientist. I guess they are going off the
idea that once given a shot you are protected forever.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Gwen leads Egyptian soldiers into the museum so there can be an exchange
of gunfire (which if the biological agent hasn't killed the guests,
collateral damage will), destroying all the artifacts.
I'm still not sure what the Hell the purpose of the convoy boom distraction
was except to kill off another cute character.
It suggests that Farouk knew the Brotherhood was following the 'virus'
tanks and so set up a trap for them. Luckily for him the Brotherhood
was stupid enough to have everyone gather round the trucks.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Farouk escapes. Danny asks Gwen to use her magic international police
powers to deputize him.
Somewhere BTR howled in rage, and mountain goats were startled.
Deputizing him is the least of her offences against normal LEO
procedures.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Finding Farouk over the commercial break, Danny
dramatically arrests him. Danny then undeputizes himself, handing the
badge (why would he get a badge?) back to Gwen.
How else would you know he was a deputy? Probably got a gun with one bullet
in it, too. And wouldn't this have been more effective had he arrested Reese?
Can't be the sheriff without a badge.
And they point out, quite rightly, that Farouk hasn't killed anybody except
the evil terrorist who would have killed them, and what can they pin on him
without Cute Short Girl's testimony? For that matter, what can they pin on
Reese?
Seems like they should be able to pin the whole virus/poison plot on
him as he was clearly involved with the terrorist attack on the place
and admitted as much to Reece and everyone else around him. Though we
didn't get to see anyone else obviously listening though they should
have been.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Early in the episode, lots of Brotherhood men and women are killed. The
Brotherhood has a paramilitary unit; who knew? They're after Farouk's
men, but it's a diversion. No biological agent, just a booby trapped
truck. The female leader of the unit takes a phone call from Lexi during
the battle! That was probably the biggest STOOPID of all.
AND hangs up without the vital information Lexi called to give her.
Yeah, I don't know what the writer was thinking there. Other than a
way to draw things out a bit more.
Series finale for me.
It's hard to see where they go in a second season.