It Was Fun While It Lasted Righties... "Critical Hand Theory" Has Arrived
2021-10-20 02:29:21 UTC
Give it to me. I love it.

I mentioned the other day in the Demi Lovato A̶l̶i̶e̶n̶ Extraterrestrial'
blog, but I can't get enough of the triggered-ness. Enough of the freeloading
made-in-the-shade life right-handed people have enjoyed at the expense of th
left-handed for centuries. As a right-handed person myself, I never knew
should feel guilty for oppressing southpaws until this brave professor a
Coastal Carolina University so valiantly took up the torch. (And a studen
documented it)

https://twitter.com/OldRowViral/status/1450243272820076545?s=20

Fun Fact - Do you know where the term southpaw originated from? Supposedly
late 19th-century ballparks were all laid out so that the pitcher looked in
westerly direction when facing the batter. The throwing arm of a left-hande
pitcher would then be to the south-- hence the name southpaw.

When you really think about it, aside from the left-handed batter's box bein
closer to first base, what advantages do left handed people have in thi
world?

I would say zero.

Think of all the things designed with only the 90% right-handed population i
mind: scissors, binders and notebooks, pant zippers. And what about sportin
equipment like golf clubs, hockey sticks, and baseball mitts?

[BTR1701 note: And guns, too. All the levers and buttons to engage the safety
de-cock the pistol, and eject the magazine are placed for the convenience o
the right-handed shooter.]

Just total disregard.

As happy as I am to see society progressing to a point where we are rightin
every single wrong (see what I did there?), even ones nobody ever eve
considered until we started turning over every stone conceivable in search o
them, part of me fears for the older generations. The ones that just didn'
know any better.

Like my nana for instance.

She comes from a time and a land where they legitimately believed left-hande
people are evil. There are zillions of bizarre southern Italian superstitions
and the belief that left-handed people are close to the devil ranks up ther
with the craziest. The Latin word for sinister, "sinistra", originally mean
"left side" but evolved into meanings of "evil" or "unlucky". Everything i
the Bible, and all depictions of the devil, associate evil with the left side
left hand, even the left foot.

I feel like I need to call my grandmother stat, and try to explain thing
before she goes and gets herself canceled.

P.S. - If you're a father and you're not raising your son or daughter to thro
left-handed, or kick left-footed you're doing it all wrong. If you are
competent left-footed punter there's a spot for you on Bill Belichick's roste
always.

P.P.S. - Somewhere Ned Flanders weeps tears of joy.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3389583/it-was-fun-while-it-lasted-righties.-critical-hand-theory-has-arrived
anim8rfsk
2021-10-20 03:16:56 UTC
Give it to me. I love it.
I mentioned the other day in the Demi Lovato A̶l̶i̶e̶n̶ Extraterrestrial's
blog, but I can't get enough of the triggered-ness. Enough of the
freeloading,
made-in-the-shade life right-handed people have enjoyed at the expense of
the
left-handed for centuries. As a right-handed person myself, I never knew I
should feel guilty for oppressing southpaws until this brave professor at
Coastal Carolina University so valiantly took up the torch. (And a student
documented it)
Post by BTR1701
https://twitter.com/OldRowViral/status/1450243272820076545?s=20
Fun Fact - Do you know where the term southpaw originated from? Supposedly,
late 19th-century ballparks were all laid out so that the pitcher looked in
westerly direction when facing the batter. The throwing arm of a
left-handed
pitcher would then be to the south-- hence the name southpaw.
Post by BTR1701
When you really think about it, aside from the left-handed batter's box being
closer to first base, what advantages do left handed people have in this
world?
Post by BTR1701
I would say zero.
Think of all the things designed with only the 90% right-handed population in
mind: scissors, binders and notebooks, pant zippers. And what about
sporting
Post by BTR1701
[BTR1701 note: And guns, too. All the levers and buttons to engage the safety,
de-cock the pistol, and eject the magazine are placed for the convenience
of
the right-handed shooter.]
Post by BTR1701
Just total disregard.
As happy as I am to see society progressing to a point where we are righting
every single wrong (see what I did there?), even ones nobody ever even
considered until we started turning over every stone conceivable in search
of
them, part of me fears for the older generations. The ones that just didn't
know any better.
Post by BTR1701
Like my nana for instance.
She comes from a time and a land where they legitimately believed left-handed
people are evil. There are zillions of bizarre southern Italian
superstitions,
and the belief that left-handed people are close to the devil ranks up
there
with the craziest. The Latin word for sinister, "sinistra",
originally meant
"left side" but evolved into meanings of "evil" or "unlucky". Everything in
the Bible, and all depictions of the devil, associate evil with the left
side,
left hand, even the left foot.
Post by BTR1701
I feel like I need to call my grandmother stat, and try to explain things
before she goes and gets herself canceled.
Post by BTR1701
P.S. - If you're a father and you're not raising your son or daughter to throw
left-handed, or kick left-footed you're doing it all wrong. If you are a
competent left-footed punter there's a spot for you on Bill Belichick's
roster
always.
Post by BTR1701
P.P.S. - Somewhere Ned Flanders weeps tears of joy.
https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3389583/it-was-fun-while-it-lasted-righties.-critical-hand-theory-has-arrived
So now we have to support spawns of Satan?
2021-10-20 16:09:53 UTC
So now we have to support spawns of Satan?
Chill out, he didn't say critical hand job theory.
trotsky
2021-10-20 11:01:05 UTC
Give it to me. I love it.
Holy balls, you've graduated from talking about mental masturbation to
physical masturbation? Why isn't this surprising?
super70s
2021-10-20 23:23:12 UTC
Like my nana for instance.
She comes from a time and a land where they legitimately believed
left-handed people are evil. There are zillions of bizarre southern Italian
superstitions, and the belief that left-handed people are close to the devil
ranks up there with the craziest. The Latin word for sinister, "sinistra",
originally meant "left side" but evolved into meanings of "evil" or "unlucky".
Everything in the Bible, and all depictions of the devil, associate evil with
the left side, left hand, even the left foot.
I feel like I need to call my grandmother stat, and try to explain things
before she goes and gets herself canceled.
P.S. - If you're a father and you're not raising your son or daughter to
throw left-handed, or kick left-footed you're doing it all wrong. If you are
a competent left-footed punter there's a spot for you on Bill Belichick's
roster always.
As a very small kid I can remember my father correcting me at the dinner
table to hold the fork with my right hand instead of my left one. "I
want him to be right-handed."

I'm right-handed but strangely enough I'm "left-eyed" -- I use the left
eye when aiming a gun or bow and arrow.

I always get a kick when watching a movie with a firing squad scene,
sometimes one of the executioners will be left-eyed but most of the time
not.

I don't know how this all figures into the "left brain vs. right brain"
phenomenon, maybe my left eye is just dominant for some reason.
(https://www.simplypsychology.org/left-brain-vs-right-brain.html)
A Friend
2021-10-21 02:42:39 UTC
In article
Post by super70s
Post by BTR1701
[...]
My mom was left-handed and told me that the nuns in school would take
her pen out of her left hand and demand that she write with her right.

BTW I've read that trying to shift a kid from left to right like that
can resulting in stuttering.
Adam H. Kerman
It was a plot point in The King's Speech.
super70s
2021-10-21 13:38:08 UTC
Post by super70s
As a very small kid I can remember my father correcting me at the dinner
table to hold the fork with my right hand instead of my left one. "I
want him to be right-handed."
I'm right-handed but strangely enough I'm "left-eyed" -- I use the left
eye when aiming a gun or bow and arrow.
My mom was left-handed and told me that the nuns in school would take
her pen out of her left hand and demand that she write with her right.
BTW I've read that trying to shift a kid from left to right like that
can resulting in stuttering.
It was a plot point in The King's Speech.
Interesting, I happen to own The King's Speech but that didn't stick
with me.
Adam H. Kerman
2021-10-21 14:49:06 UTC
Post by super70s
Post by super70s
As a very small kid I can remember my father correcting me at the dinner
table to hold the fork with my right hand instead of my left one. "I
want him to be right-handed."
I'm right-handed but strangely enough I'm "left-eyed" -- I use the left
eye when aiming a gun or bow and arrow.
My mom was left-handed and told me that the nuns in school would take
her pen out of her left hand and demand that she write with her right.
BTW I've read that trying to shift a kid from left to right like that
can resulting in stuttering.
It was a plot point in The King's Speech.
Interesting, I happen to own The King's Speech but that didn't stick
with me.
Bertie tells Lionel about the evil nanny that raised him who showed
favoritism to his older brother and contempt for him, even as a baby.
The nanny and tutors repeatedly forced him to stop favoring his left
hand. Lionel deduced that this was what caused the stuttering as the
stuttering wasn't organic.
super70s
2021-10-22 00:38:44 UTC
On Thu, 21 Oct 2021 08:38:08 -0500, super70s
Post by super70s
Post by Adam H. Kerman
It was a plot point in The King's Speech.
Interesting, I happen to own The King's Speech but that didn't stick
with me.
If you'd got the DVD version in the extras there's an actual George VI
speech which shows if anything the problem was worse than shown in the
film.
Yeah I have the DVD and if I like the movie I'll always watch the
featurette(s).

Looks like I haven't watched it since 3/18/18 so I probably just forgot
about the left-handed thing.

I also saw it in the theater back in 2010, I remember walking into a
very packed audience and some nice lady motioned me over to an empty
seat beside her and her husband.

Speaking of the Royal Family I was looking at a description in a
books/movie catalog I get called The Queen's Sister (about the
"rebellious" Princess Margaret) that looked kind of interesting, I don't
think it was the big hit that The King's Speech was.
The Horny Goat
2021-10-22 04:08:22 UTC
Post by super70s
Post by Adam H. Kerman
It was a plot point in The King's Speech.
Interesting, I happen to own The King's Speech but that didn't stick
with me.
If you'd got the DVD version in the extras there's an actual George VI
speech which shows if anything the problem was worse than shown in the
film.
Yeah I have the DVD and if I like the movie I'll always watch the
featurette(s).
Looks like I haven't watched it since 3/18/18 so I probably just forgot
about the left-handed thing.
Thing is being left handed and having been labelled "gifted" in my
school days (I >DID< finish 7th in a field of 15000+ in a national
math contest in high school though that is 45+ years ago and induced
me to do mathematics at university which unless you get a graduate
degree is one of the less marketable science degrees unless you
combine it with comp sci ) I learned when researching the subject in
my high school years that IQ scores amongst male left handed people
was not your standard bell curve but lower at the mean and higher at
both extremes
Post by super70s
I also saw it in the theater back in 2010, I remember walking into a
very packed audience and some nice lady motioned me over to an empty
seat beside her and her husband.
I'm almost embarassed to say I took it out from the local public
library
Post by super70s
Speaking of the Royal Family I was looking at a description in a
books/movie catalog I get called The Queen's Sister (about the
"rebellious" Princess Margaret) that looked kind of interesting, I don't
think it was the big hit that The King's Speech was.
Queen Victoria was 18 when she became Queen while Elizabeth was 26.

I recently gave an anecdote about one of the lesser royals who opened
a cricket club in Hong Kong and the club exec got flak for bringing in
a royal until they found out that the royal in question worked in the
Hong Kong financial district and told them that "Actually nobody flew
me in, ____ phoned to invite me and I came on the subway from Central.
Will and Harry are the only ones on the public payroll - the rest of
us have to work for a living though it _is_ fun getting invited to the
royal weddings!" That was Margaret's son. (Which is more or less how
it was reported in the Hong Kong Morning Post)
Micky DuPree
2021-11-04 04:01:27 UTC
Thing is being left handed and having been labelled "gifted" in my
school days (I >DID< finish 7th in a field of 15000+ in a national
math contest in high school though that is 45+ years ago and induced
me to do mathematics at university which unless you get a graduate
degree is one of the less marketable science degrees unless you
combine it with comp sci ) I learned when researching the subject in
my high school years that IQ scores amongst male left handed people
was not your standard bell curve but lower at the mean and higher at
both extremes
Now that IS interesting. It flies in the face of how these things
usually distribute.
Post by The Horny Goat
I recently gave an anecdote about one of the lesser royals who opened
a cricket club in Hong Kong and the club exec got flak for bringing in
a royal until they found out that the royal in question worked in the
Hong Kong financial district and told them that "Actually nobody flew
me in, ____ phoned to invite me and I came on the subway from Central.
Will and Harry are the only ones on the public payroll - the rest of
us have to work for a living though it _is_ fun getting invited to the
royal weddings!" That was Margaret's son. (Which is more or less how
it was reported in the Hong Kong Morning Post)
Surely Charles, as Heir Apparent, gets a stipend and provisions. And it
would strike me as odd if his siblings -- the Queen's other offspring --
got nothing at all. But yeah, anyone more than one or two degrees of
separation from someone in the direct line of succession probably has to
find some sort of paying position. I would imagine even the ones
without titles to be in demand, though, if only for the reflected
prestige. Say you're a British-based bank, and you want someone to
personally handle the accounts for foreign dignitaries. It doesn't mean
there are any royal perks involved, but it may make some diplomat or
foreign royal feel more catered to if their account is handled by the
Queen's grandson.

-Micky
moviePig
2021-11-04 19:57:19 UTC
On Thu, 4 Nov 2021 04:01:27 +0000 (UTC),
Post by Micky DuPree
Post by The Horny Goat
Thing is being left handed and having been labelled "gifted" in my
school days (I >DID< finish 7th in a field of 15000+ in a national
math contest in high school though that is 45+ years ago and induced
me to do mathematics at university which unless you get a graduate
degree is one of the less marketable science degrees unless you
combine it with comp sci ) I learned when researching the subject in
my high school years that IQ scores amongst male left handed people
was not your standard bell curve but lower at the mean and higher at
both extremes
Now that IS interesting. It flies in the face of how these things
usually distribute.
Not really - if you have two different groups each with a normal
distribution but a different standard deviation that's exactly what
I'm talking about.
Post by Micky DuPree
Post by The Horny Goat
[...]
No doubt you're right on Charles - Anne's son is the same generation
as Will and Harry so was probably talking about his peers. After
Andrew's brush with scandal he was cut from royal appearances so
presume his stipend was also cut - whether to 0% I don't know.
As for Peter Philips, one can safely presume he is of reasonable
intelligence and has had a top-notch education which would make him a
excellent candidate for the Royal Bank of Scotland (#3 bank in the UK)
He was working for RBS in Hong Kong in 2010 and has since returned to
the UK still with RBS so one presumes a promotion was involved either
when he went to HK or returned to the UK. His Wiki bio says he is now
with another company. No doubt his royal connection hasn't hurt his
resume but as he says "Will and Harry are the only ones on the public
purse" which I presume refers to his cousins not his uncles and aunts.
Whatever else you can say about the judgement shown by various British
royals, there are no complete idiots in the family. His Wiki bio says
he is the Queen's oldest grandson and it would seem his main royal
perk was that he had a royal wedding at Windsor Castle.
I'm not seriously interested in third tier royals but have no
particular reason to dislike this particular 40-something Brit.
Aren't you saying that one bell-curve is much flatter than the other?
The Horny Goat
2021-11-05 04:29:07 UTC
I'm not seriously interested in third tier royals but have no
particular reason to dislike this particular 40-something Brit.
Aren't you saying that one bell-curve is much flatter than the other?
Well yes I was but that's a different point than the Queen's
descendents who aren't William and Harry.

As for the original point about different flatnesses in bell curves,
anybody who has taken any integral calculus at all (guilty - BSc math
with a minor in stats) knows that if you are talking the area under a
bell curve relating to probability the total area is always going to
be 1 no matter what shape it is. So if the highest point on one curve
is lower than the highest point on another that's going to mean the
"tails" have more area (probability) than the more tightly clustered
curve. And you know what that means with respect to all kinds of
subjects not just related to intelligence.
Micky DuPree
2021-11-17 03:37:09 UTC
Post by Micky DuPree
I learned when researching the subject in my high school years that
IQ scores amongst male left handed people was not your standard bell
curve but lower at the mean and higher at both extremes
Now that IS interesting. It flies in the face of how these things
usually distribute.
Not really - if you have two different groups each with a normal
distribution but a different standard deviation that's exactly what
I'm talking about.
Wait, neither being male nor being left-handed distributes on a bell
curve, so what's the second group you mean?
Post by Micky DuPree
[...]
Nah, I'm an antiroyalist (all that rah-rah American Revolution
upbringing), but I don't see any reason to have animosity towards the
individuals who are caught up in the tradition. The whole fishbowl
aspect of their lives makes them somewhat sympathetic to me. I can't
imagine living like that. They say that being in the White House is
kind of like being American royalty, but at least American presidents
and their families do get to stand down and take a few steps back when
the tenure is over. To have 24/7 public focus on you your entire life
like the British royal family does? Geez almighty.

-Micky