Supergirl season 5
2021-04-08 05:16:03 UTC
I've mentioned before that I had several CW series from 2019-20 sitting
unwatched on the DVR. A few weeks ago, I started watching Supergirl and
sort of got into it. Yeah, the plot makes no sense and the casting of
the villains sucks. Leviathan was boring. What idiot thought Duckie
could play a Supergirl villain? Duckie?

The show didn't miss the loss of Mechad Brooks nor Jeremy Jordan. The
latter came back as Toyman Junior in a couple of episodes.

Plenty of the plotting in the pre-Crisis first half of the season didn't
work, like Lena creating a Hope A.I. and giving her Eve Teschmacher's body
to keep Andrea Brooks in the cast, and then just having the A.I. parrot
back what Lena wanted to hear.

The script was stupid (do I really need to say that?) but I like Katie
McGrath so much, I was rooting for Lena to win. Lena's motivations were
stupid (Supergirl didn't tell me she was Kara! Whoa is me!) but I didn't
care. She performed the hell out of those stupid lines. I liked her
playing off Andrea Brooks too.

Why can't there be an Emmy for best performance of a dreadful script?

When Lena worked with a resurrected Lex post-Crisis, I could no longer
root for them. I just can't buy Lex being a smart-enough supervillain,
nor Lena being unable to see through his manipulations.

Jesse Rath played a toned way down Brainy this season. The performance
was a lot better and I didn't mind the episodes in which he was manic.
Once he removed the inhibitors, the performance was more interesting.

Nicole Maines as Dreamer, sigh... They don't know what to do with the
character. She's absurdly superpowered and rivals a lot of Supergirl's
powers (at least in the absurdly weakened Supergirl that have in this tv
series) and pretty much just takes away from Melissa Benoist's screen
time.

Chyler Leigh isn't giving the kind of performance she's capable of. I
guess the scripts have sucked out any interest she has in acting.

Julie Gonzalo, well, they don't really know what to do with the Andrea
Rojas character either. She took screen time away from Gemma Cooper,
one of the Leviathan. Andrea is essentially a villain since the V.R.
crap was mostly her technology, and she deliberately ignored its life-
threatening problems till it was too late to stop the evil plot.

The V.R.'s problem was the "end program" button didn't work and left you
inside the program. That's kind of a serious flaw. Lex screwed up the
code. But then the resolution to get billions of simultaneous users out
of V.R., to prevent Leviathan from killing much of humanity, was that a
vastly replicated Supergirl (seen speaking English only) was able to use
her super-empathy power to get everyone to willingly exit the program.
The flawed code was to prevent exactly that.

As usual, nothing about Lex works. At the end, Brainy defeated Leviathan
on his own, then Lex just walks in, snatches away Brainy's victory, and
claims to have anticipated Brainy's actions. Lex is all hand-waiving.
anim8rfsk
2021-04-08 06:20:49 UTC
I've mentioned before that I had several CW series from 2019-20 sitting
unwatched on the DVR. A few weeks ago, I started watching Supergirl and
sort of got into it. Yeah, the plot makes no sense and the casting of
the villains sucks. Leviathan was boring. What idiot thought Duckie
could play a Supergirl villain? Duckie?
You do realize that Jon cryer played Lenny Luther in the worst of the
Christopher Reeve superman movies? Presumably he’s Katie McGrath son.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
The show didn’t miss the loss of Mechad Brooks nor Jeremy Jordan. The
latter came back as Toyman Junior in a couple of episodes.
They got rid of Jordan because they were getting rid of all straight white
men. I’m not sure why they got rid of Brooks. And then they brought in
crier and had a white guy again but they fixed that when they cast Luthor
for the superman show. And then the war extended to blonde hair as well.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Plenty of the plotting in the pre-Crisis first half of the season didn’t
work, like Lena creating a Hope A.I. and giving her Eve Teschmacher’s body
to keep Andrea Brooks in the cast, and then just having the A.I. parrot
back what Lena wanted to hear.
This is the season I bailed completely during and only watched a few
episodes necessary surrounding the crisis.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
The script was stupid (do I really need to say that?) but I like Katie
McGrath so much, I was rooting for Lena to win. Lena's
Did you watch Merlin? McGrath‘s character and motivations were lifted
directly from there.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
motivations were
stupid (Supergirl didn’t tell me she was Kara! Whoa is me!) but I didn't
care. She performed the hell out of those stupid lines. I
She always does. Even when she’s naked in bed with Gemma Chan it’s a
pleasure to watch her act.

liked her
Post by Adam H. Kerman
playing off Andrea Brooks too.
Why can’t there be an Emmy for best performance of a dreadful script?
When Lena worked with a resurrected Lex post-Crisis, I could no longer
root for them. I just can't buy Lex being a smart-enough supervillain,
nor Lena being unable to see through his manipulations.
In season six Lex wins his trial by simply revealing his true personality
to the world. Or so they said. I had sort of grayed out by then.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Jesse Rath played a toned way down Brainy this season. The performance
was a lot better and I didn’t mind the episodes in which he was manic.
Once he removed the inhibitors, the performance was more interesting.
He’s so over the top now that he’s a gayer vampire then the gay vampire.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Nicole Maines as Dreamer, sigh... They don’t know what to do with the
character. She's absurdly superpowered and rivals a lot of Supergirl's
powers (at least in the absurdly weakened Supergirl that have in this tv
series) and pretty much just takes away from Melissa Benoist's screen
time.
Not that that’s a bad thing.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Chyler Leigh isn’t giving the kind of performance she's capable of. I
guess the scripts have sucked out any interest she has in acting.
She compensates now by wearing lots and lots and lots of eye make up.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Julie Gonzalo, well, they don’t really know what to do with the Andrea
Rojas character either. She took screen time away from Gemma Cooper,
one of the Leviathan. Andrea is essentially a villain since the V.R.
crap was mostly her technology, and she deliberately ignored its life-
threatening problems till it was too late to stop the evil plot.
For some reason they decided they needed Catco after Cat left. I have no
idea why. Brooks was gone, toyman Junior got fired for being white and
straight, and they re-purposed miss Tessmacher. There was just no reason
for Kara to have a regular job anymore. And they made Gonzalo be season
one bitchy incompetent cat. There’s just no reason somebody doesn’t push
her off the balcony.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
The V.R.’s problem was the “end program” button didn’t work and left you
inside the program. That’s kind of a serious flaw. Lex screwed up the
code. But then the resolution to get billions of simultaneous users out
of V.R., to prevent Leviathan from killing much of humanity, was that a
vastly replicated Supergirl (seen speaking English only) was able to use
her super-empathy power to get everyone to willingly exit the program.
The flawed code was to prevent exactly that.
As usual, nothing about Lex works. At the end, Brainy defeated Leviathan
on his own, then Lex just walks in, snatches away Brainy's victory, and
claims to have anticipated Brainy's actions. Lex is all hand-waiving.
I missed all that and I don’t miss having missed it at all.
2021-04-08 14:05:50 UTC
I've mentioned before that I had several CW series from 2019-20 sitting
unwatched on the DVR. A few weeks ago, I started watching Supergirl and
sort of got into it. Yeah, the plot makes no sense and the casting of
the villains sucks. Leviathan was boring. What idiot thought Duckie
could play a Supergirl villain? Duckie?
You do realize that Jon cryer played Lenny Luther in the worst of the
Christopher Reeve superman movies? Presumably he's Katie McGrath son.
I knew he was in the cast of Superman IV, a movie it's not possible to
sit through.
The show didn't miss the loss of Mechad Brooks nor Jeremy Jordan. The
latter came back as Toyman Junior in a couple of episodes.
They got rid of Jordan because they were getting rid of all straight white
men. I'm not sure why they got rid of Brooks. And then they brought in
crier and had a white guy again but they fixed that when they cast Luthor
for the superman show. And then the war extended to blonde hair as well.
Hehehehehe
Plenty of the plotting in the pre-Crisis first half of the season didn't
work, like Lena creating a Hope A.I. and giving her Eve Teschmacher's body
to keep Andrea Brooks in the cast, and then just having the A.I. parrot
back what Lena wanted to hear.
This is the season I bailed completely during and only watched a few
episodes necessary surrounding the crisis.
I watched only the Supergirl Crisis episodes. You know, I tried watching
the other series' episodes that week but they only reminded me why I'd
stopped watching them. I sort of paid attention to what you and A Friend
discussed, but so much later, I've forgotten. I remembered the All
Realities Merged crap and billions on each infinite Earths dying and how
exactly was that an acceptable resolution to the Crisis? Spare me from
Superheros.
The script was stupid (do I really need to say that?) but I like Katie
McGrath so much, I was rooting for Lena to win. Lena's
Did you watch Merlin? McGrath‘s character and motivations were lifted
directly from there.
I know. I recognized every tv series and movie last year's scripts had
ripped off.
motivations were
stupid (Supergirl didn't tell me she was Kara! Whoa is me!) but I didn't
care. She performed the hell out of those stupid lines. I
She always does. Even when she's naked in bed with Gemma Chan it's a
pleasure to watch her act.
Hehehe
liked her playing off Andrea Brooks too.
Why can't there be an Emmy for best performance of a dreadful script?
When Lena worked with a resurrected Lex post-Crisis, I could no longer
root for them. I just can't buy Lex being a smart-enough supervillain,
nor Lena being unable to see through his manipulations.
In season six . . .
Do not throw in spoilers for later episodes into this thread, please.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Nicole Maines as Dreamer, sigh... They don't know what to do with the
character. She's absurdly superpowered and rivals a lot of Supergirl's
powers (at least in the absurdly weakened Supergirl that have in this tv
series) and pretty much just takes away from Melissa Benoist's screen
time.
Not that that's a bad thing.
I'm saying it's a bad thing. Nicole Maines is just stunt casting. She's
cast so Berlanti can have scripts written to hector the audience about
shoving transgender acceptance down the throat of the audience. She's
famous for having won a bathroom access lawsuit when she was a child. In
the hectoring episode, Dreamer was going to flat out murder a guy in
revenge. Supergirl tried to calm her down but she responded that she was
giving Supergirl a few hours to solve the problem. In the end, having
defeated the guy, she was STILL about to murder him but once again
Supergirl talked her down.

By Supergirl morality as established on the series, that makes Dreamer
the enemy but the script forgot to deal with that huge point.
Chyler Leigh isn't giving the kind of performance she's capable of. I
guess the scripts have sucked out any interest she has in acting.
She compensates now by wearing lots and lots and lots of eye make up.
I hate the way her face is made up, and the hair/wig.
Julie Gonzalo, well, they don't really know what to do with the Andrea
Rojas character either. She took screen time away from Gemma Cooper,
one of the Leviathan. Andrea is essentially a villain since the V.R.
crap was mostly her technology, and she deliberately ignored its life-
threatening problems till it was too late to stop the evil plot.
For some reason they decided they needed Catco after Cat left. I have no
idea why. Brooks was gone, toyman Junior got fired for being white and
straight,
I get nothing of his sexuality from the performance of Jeremy Jordan. He's
a strangely off-putting actor who has a career for inexplicable reasons. In
the few programs I've seen him on, I don't recall they've ever written
a love scene for him because no one watching would buy it.
Post by anim8rfsk
and they re-purposed miss Tessmacher. There was just no reason
for Kara to have a regular job anymore. And they made Gonzalo be season
one bitchy incompetent cat. There's just no reason somebody doesn't push
her off the balcony.
They kept hinting she had some sort of Leviathan power 'cuz they rescued
her as a baby, and then she was used to attempt to kill Supergirl's body
while her mind was in V.R., but Lena's performance of her stupid lines
saved Supergirl, and then they forgot she tried to kill Supergirl.
I'm not saying you're wrong.
anim8rfsk
2021-04-08 14:48:06 UTC
I've mentioned before that I had several CW series from 2019-20 sitting
unwatched on the DVR. A few weeks ago, I started watching Supergirl and
sort of got into it. Yeah, the plot makes no sense and the casting of
the villains sucks. Leviathan was boring. What idiot thought Duckie
could play a Supergirl villain? Duckie?
You do realize that Jon cryer played Lenny Luther in the worst of the
Christopher Reeve superman movies? Presumably he's Katie McGrath son.
I knew he was in the cast of Superman IV, a movie it's not possible to
sit through.
It was my first Snark review, written on my old coal burning Mac plus long
long ago.
The show didn’t miss the loss of Mechad Brooks nor Jeremy Jordan. The
latter came back as Toyman Junior in a couple of episodes.
They got rid of Jordan because they were getting rid of all straight white
men. I'm not sure why they got rid of Brooks. And then they brought in
crier and had a white guy again but they fixed that when they cast Luthor
for the superman show. And then the war extended to blonde hair as well.
Hehehehehe
Plenty of the plotting in the pre-Crisis first half of the season didn't
work, like Lena creating a Hope A.I. and giving her Eve Teschmacher's body
to keep Andrea Brooks in the cast, and then just having the A.I. parrot
back what Lena wanted to hear.
They keep talking about that in season six and all I hear is blah blah
blah.
This is the season I bailed completely during and only watched a few
episodes necessary surrounding the crisis.
I watched only the Supergirl Crisis episodes. You know, I tried watching
the other series' episodes that week but they only reminded me why I'd
stopped watching them. I sort of paid attention to what you and A Friend
discussed, but so much later, I've forgotten. I remembered the All
Realities Merged crap and billions on each infinite Earths dying and how
exactly was that an acceptable resolution to the Crisis? Spare me from
Superheros.
And yet the multi-verse is still out there and the superheroes are just too
stupid to notice. Even though people from it keep showing up. Multiple
times.

I wish they had just all forgotten that it ever was.
The script was stupid (do I really need to say that?) but I like Katie
McGrath so much, I was rooting for Lena to win. Lena’s
Did you watch Merlin? McGrath‘s character and motivations were lifted
directly from there.
I know. I recognized every tv series and movie last year's scripts had
ripped off.
motivations were
stupid (Supergirl didn't tell me she was Kara! Whoa is me!) but I didn't
care. She performed the hell out of those stupid lines. I
She always does. Even when she's naked in bed with Gemma Chan it's a
pleasure to watch her act.
Hehehe
:)
liked her playing off Andrea Brooks too.
Why can't there be an Emmy for best performance of a dreadful script?
When Lena worked with a resurrected Lex post-Crisis, I could no longer
root for them. I just can't buy Lex being a smart-enough supervillain,
nor Lena being unable to see through his manipulations.
In season six . . .
Do not throw in spoilers for later episodes into this thread, please.
Is “so far it all sucks” a spoiler?
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
Manes is terrible on screen, and her constant whining back-and-forth with
brainy is just annoying as hell, but in season six even that’s better than
listening to Benoist (rhymes with moist).
Chyler Leigh isn’t giving the kind of performance she’s capable of. I
guess the scripts have sucked out any interest she has in acting.
She compensates now by wearing lots and lots and lots of eye make up.
I hate the way her face is made up, and the hair/wig.
I stared at it wondering if it was supposed to be a disguise as part of her
costume or what the hell they were doing.
Julie Gonzalo, well, they don’t really know what to do with the Andrea
Rojas character either. She took screen time away from Gemma Cooper,
one of the Leviathan. Andrea is essentially a villain since the V.R.
crap was mostly her technology, and she deliberately ignored its life-
threatening problems till it was too late to stop the evil plot.
For some reason they decided they needed Catco after Cat left. I have no
idea why. Brooks was gone, toyman Junior got fired for being white and
straight,
I get nothing of his sexuality from the performance of Jeremy Jordan. He's
a strangely off-putting actor who has a career for inexplicable reasons. In
the few programs I've seen him on, I don't recall they've ever written
a love scene for him because no one watching would buy it.
But right from the pilot he was the best friend who loved Supergirl but she
was too much of a self-absorbed bitch to notice. So he had to go. Two white
people of different genders in love? Even one way love? Not a chance. Same
notation for Mon-El (and there is no justification for that name)
2021-04-08 14:54:47 UTC
Chyler Leigh isn’t giving the kind of performance she’s capable of. I
guess the scripts have sucked out any interest she has in acting.
She compensates now by wearing lots and lots and lots of eye make up.
I hate the way her face is made up, and the hair/wig.
I stared at it wondering if it was supposed to be a disguise as part of her
costume or what the hell they were doing.
Of course, the irony is that Leigh quit(?) "Grey's Anatomy", and this
is all she ended up with.

She would have been much better off sticking it out on "Grey's"!!
2021-04-08 15:10:16 UTC
Chyler Leigh isn’t giving the kind of performance she’s capable of. I
guess the scripts have sucked out any interest she has in acting.
She compensates now by wearing lots and lots and lots of eye make up.
I hate the way her face is made up, and the hair/wig.
I stared at it wondering if it was supposed to be a disguise as part of her
costume or what the hell they were doing.
Of course, the irony is that Leigh quit(?) "Grey's Anatomy", and this
is all she ended up with.
She would have been much better off sticking it out on "Grey's"!!
I have never watched grays because they threw Boston legal under the bus
for it.
2021-04-08 18:07:41 UTC
When Lena worked with a resurrected Lex post-Crisis, I could no longer
root for them. I just can't buy Lex being a smart-enough supervillain,
nor Lena being unable to see through his manipulations.
In season six . . .
Do not throw in spoilers for later episodes into this thread, please.
Yeah, right, like you're going to watch season six!
Not that that's a bad thing.
I'm saying it's a bad thing. Nicole Maines is just stunt casting. She's
cast so Berlanti can have scripts written to hector the audience about
shoving transgender acceptance down the throat of the audience. She's
famous for having won a bathroom access lawsuit when she was a child.
I did not know that!

[Kerman's incorrect quoted material formatting fixed.]

--
Trump won.