NBC Censors Norm Macdonald
2018-09-12 13:53:39 UTC
How dare he hold an opinion that that doesn’t toe the politically correct party line!…

https://news.avclub.com/the-tonight-show-just-canceled-tonights-norm-macdonald-1828985742/amp
Sept.12, 2018

The Tonight Show just canceled tonight's Norm Macdonald appearance

History repeated itself tonight, as an NBC late-night program abruptly booted comedian
Norm Macdonald from a high-profile gig. This time, it wasn’t Saturday Night Live and
Weekend Update, though, but The Tonight Show, which announced just a few minutes
ago that it was killing Macdonald’s planned appearance on tonight’s episode, in the
wake of a controversial interview with the veteran stand-up that ran in The Hollywood
Reporter today.

As previously reported, Macdonald’s interview managed to fall on the “predictable
but disappointing” side of a shocking number of pop-culture issues, from his hearsay
objections to Hannah Gadsby’s Nanette, to his support for old friends like Louis CK
and Roseanne Barr, to his belief that Chris Hardwick was a hapless victim of the
#MeToo movement. And while Macdonald has now issued an apology for “minimizing
the pain” of the people hurt by CK and Barr’s actions, it doesn’t appear to have been
enough to stop The Tonight Show producers from wanting to distance themselves
from his comments and the anger surrounding them.

“Roseanne and Louis have both been very good friends of mine for many years.
They both made terrible mistakes and I would never defend their actions. If my
words sounded like I was minimizing the pain that their victims feel to this day,
I am deeply sorry.”

“Out of sensitivity to our audience and in light of Norm Macdonald’s comments in the
press today, The Tonight Show has decided to cancel his appearance on Tuesday’s
telecast,” the show said in a statement tonight. (They’ll be extending a Matthew
McConaughey interview in the Macdonald segment’s place.)

As it happens, Macdonald touched on Tonight host Jimmy Fallon during the interview,
defending him from accusations of “humanizing” Donald Trump during the run-up to
the 2016 election.

Meanwhile, Macdonald’s new Netflix series, Norm Macdonald Has A Show, debuts
on September 14.
BTR1701
2018-09-12 14:38:52 UTC
[...]
I like the way they deflect responsibility and pretend they have to do this
because the viewers are just too weak to handle the shock of it all.
Ed Stasiak
2018-09-12 14:42:15 UTC
2018-09-12 14:52:36 UTC
On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 09:38:52 -0500, BTR1701
Post by BTR1701
[...]
Yeah, it makes no sense as he still said the things he did in the
past. If they were going to bring it up then why not just add this to
the discussion. If, as is more likely for a light hearted show, they
were going to skip his past mis-steps then why not skip this one too?
After all most people wouldn't even know about the interview and what
he said.
super70s
2018-09-13 08:54:32 UTC
Post by BTR1701
I like the way they deflect responsibility and pretend they have to do this
because the viewers are just too weak to handle the shock of it all.
Yeah, it makes no sense as he still said the things he did in the
past. If they were going to bring it up then why not just add this to
the discussion. If, as is more likely for a light hearted show, they
were going to skip his past mis-steps then why not skip this one too?
After all most people wouldn't even know about the interview and what
he said.
How about one of those cable news disclaimers: "We want to warn you,
some of you may find this video disturbing."
anim8rfsk
2018-09-14 14:11:11 UTC
Post by BTR1701
I like the way they deflect responsibility and pretend they have to do this
because the viewers are just too weak to handle the shock of it all.
Yeah, it makes no sense as he still said the things he did in the
past. If they were going to bring it up then why not just add this to
the discussion. If, as is more likely for a light hearted show, they
were going to skip his past mis-steps then why not skip this one too?
After all most people wouldn't even know about the interview and what
he said.
How about one of those cable news disclaimers: "We want to warn you,
some of you may find this video disturbing."
Does that make anybody pay attention? It makes me change the channel.
2018-09-12 15:35:48 UTC
[...]
It's 'The Tonight Show'. I haven't watched it for decades, but I could
believe they have their viewers pegged exactly...
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
Ed Stasiak
2018-09-12 17:05:18 UTC
I like the way they deflect responsibility and pretend they have to do this
because the viewers are just too weak to handle the shock of it all.
It's 'The Tonight Show'.  I haven't watched it for decades, but I could
believe they have their viewers pegged exactly...
Yes, I’m sure the “Tonight Show” viewer base is all up in arms over Norm’s
comments about Hannah Gadsby’s “Nanette”.

(who’s what?…)
Ian J. Ball
2018-09-12 18:25:07 UTC
How dare he hold an opinion that that doesn’t toe the politically
correct party line!…
https://news.avclub.com/the-tonight-show-just-canceled-tonights-norm-macdonald-1828985742/amp
Sept.12, 2018
The Tonight Show just canceled tonight's Norm Macdonald appearance
History repeated itself tonight, as an NBC late-night program abruptly booted comedian
Norm Macdonald from a high-profile gig. This time, it wasn’t Saturday Night Live and
Weekend Update, though, but The Tonight Show, which announced just a few minutes
ago that it was killing Macdonald’s planned appearance on tonight’s episode, in the
wake of a controversial interview with the veteran stand-up that ran in The Hollywood
Reporter today.
[snip]
“Out of sensitivity to our audience
I like the way they deflect responsibility and pretend they have to do
this because the viewers are just too weak to handle the shock of it
all.
It's 'The Tonight Show'. I haven't watched it for decades, but I could
believe they have their viewers pegged exactly...
"The Tonight Show" is absolutely *awful* under Jimmy Fallon. I avoid it
even more than I avoid Colbert (which is saying something!).

It's actually an absolute outrage what has become of the once great
"Tonight Show"...
2018-09-12 18:46:54 UTC
[...]

I haven't watched The Tonight Show regularly since NBC forced Jack Paar
to resign.
RichA
2018-09-12 21:15:39 UTC
Was that poor intellectual bastard deleted due to wrong speak as well?
m***@hotmail.com
2018-09-12 21:17:39 UTC
[...]
I like the way
... you talk to yourself?