What Did You Watch? 2020-06-30 (Tuesday)
2020-07-01 08:30:41 UTC

UNEARTHED:
"Lost Cities Of ThE Bible". I suspect this was several eps repackaged into a
big one.

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION:
"Homeward". Oh, crap! It's that ep of NextGen in which Worf's stepbrother
sneaks a village of doomed villagers onto the holodeck! Worf's brother then
decides to take them on a fake trip thru the magic caves to the new planet.
Naturally, the holodeck is malfuntioning and they cannot turn it off to
reboot. I am sure flooding it with sleeping gas at night would give them
plenty of time to reboot it. Wait, there seem to be about a dozen people in
this village! How are they going to populate their new world? Ooops! One of
them escaped the holodeck! Why didn't they leave the door locked? How
conveeeeeennnient that Crusher was unable to erase the guy who eascape's
memory. Picard is like "Crap, he wants to rejoin his people!" and he's like
"telling my people will fuck up our beliefs!" but how, exactly? Picard said
they would think he's a lunatic or think he had a vision from their gawds.
It's kinda funny, but this is the only guy who questioned how traveling theu
a cave would take them to where the stars were different. You could tell Worf
wanted to smack the guy for asking so many questions. Also funny how no one
seems to have noticed he's gone. I guess he annoyed them too? Just as they
reach the new planet, the holodeck has a full meltdown, so they tell everyone
to hide in their tents and then transport everyone to the planet. Wait,
aren't you aware of being transported? Meanwhile, Picard and Crusher are like
"Problem solved! The kid killed himself!" Don't hurt your arms from patting
yourself on the back. Epilogue: Worf's brother stays with them and gives Worf
their history ladder (cultural appropriation?). I guess these people don't
really care about their past being lost?

Democrats and the liberal media hate President Trump more than they
love this country.
anim8rfsk
2020-07-01 15:43:54 UTC
[...]
What did you watch?
Was this the episode where Picard was an idiot, Crusher was incompetent, and
Worf was snarly and horny?
2020-07-01 15:58:09 UTC
[...]
Yes, it was a TNG episode.
<to be filled in at a later date>
anim8rfsk
2020-07-01 16:09:44 UTC
Post by Dimensional Traveler
[...]
Awful as it was, it was better than a Voyager episode I watched about 20
minutes of last night, that I didn't remember at all - they find a robot (guy
in jumpsuit wearing $2 spray painted halloween mask) and B'lanna wants to
help his but Janeway completely misstates everything about the Prime
Directive (they found the guy in space, he's from a race of space faring
robots, so he clearly knows about other worlds) and says they can meddle in
robot evolution (what?) so the robots decide to kill her, and, quite frankly,
I don't blame them.
2020-07-01 17:08:33 UTC
Having completed most of my grading for summer session, I spend
yesterday watching movies, and a new streaming show:

Roswell, New Mexico (recorded) - "Mr. Jones" (ep. #2.13, the season #2 finale).
Luckily, season #2 of this turkey ends with a truly stupid and awful
ending (probably even worse than anything the original "Roswell" came
up with), so I think I can say I am done with this one. (The only
pausible saving throw here is if who they found in the cave is the
equivalent of Nacedo from the original series, in which case then the
ending would at least make some sense...)
Among the many things that bugged me about season #2 was the lack of
any attempt to tie Noah from season #1 back into the "flashback"
reveleations in season #2 - as it is, I still have no idea how EVOL!!1!
Noah fits into this whole thing, especially with the stupyfing
"revelation" at the end of this episode.
With any luck, Liz will stay out of Roswell, which will allow
Jeanine Mason (and hopefully Amber Midtunder) to get on a TV show
worthy of her talents!

soaps: B&B - A truly boring episode in which stupid Rick and Maya het
married. The only thing I liked in this one was the 'B' plot, where I'm
reminded that they killed off another Forrester besides Phoebe - Aly
Forrester who was insane and hated Steffy (which, actually doesn't seem
very insane to me at all!).
DOOL - I did love Gabi crashing the wedding and rubbing it in all of
their faces that she was found innocent of the charges of trying to
"poison" Crazy Abby. Besides Lani and Eli getting married, I don't
think much else happened... Oh, Brady and Krazy Kristen were
temporarily reunited.

Man in the High Castle (Prime) - Episodes 1.1 & 1.2. Likely not going
to go into huge details with this one, as most people who were
interested saw it years ago. But, so far, I'm liking this one - it has
an "alt-"Mad Men"" vibe which I like, and I'm enjoying Cary-Hiroyuki
Tagawa's performance. Hey, look! It's Harry from "Charmed" and Dean
Fogg from "The Magicians"!!
These episodes were mostly set-up, with Alexa Davalos' character
trying to figure out what's going on.

Atonement (Showtime Anytime) - I've been meaning to watch this for
years, as it's considered Saoirse Ronan's "big break" role. Overall, I
liked it, though it did feel like the ending kind of pulled the rug out
from a lot of what happened before.

Apollo 18 (Showtime Anytime, though it was on Showtime Beyond last
night just not at a convenient time!...) - There's... something on the
moon!... Some... *thing*!! ;p
This movie is not well received, but it's the kind of malarkey that
I respond to. And, besides - it has a good Canadian cast, with Warren
Cristie and Ryan Reynolds!! What's not to like with that, and monsters
on the moon!?!

Recorded for later: Stargirl's "Shiv, Part 1"!!
2020-07-01 17:10:44 UTC
Apollo 18 (Showtime Anytime, though it was on Showtime Beyond last
night just not at a convenient time!...) - There's... something on the
moon!... Some... *thing*!! ;p
This movie is not well received, but it's the kind of malarkey that
I respond to. And, besides - it has a good Canadian cast, with Warren
Cristie and Ryan Reynolds!! What's not to like with that, and monsters
on the moon!?!
P.S. These guys get mad props for using _Yes_ songs in the film.
2020-07-01 17:54:51 UTC
[...]
I will be vague so as to not spoil anything. One of the aspects I
picked up on from the first episode was...how to put this...what was
being shown in the episode didn't make any sense. I don't mean that in
a bad way, and I don't mean it was confusing. I mean logically, what
was being depicted could not be depicted unless there was *more* going
on that what we were initially being shown. And over the course of the
season, they slowly revealed what that "more" actually was.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Atonement (Showtime Anytime) - I've been meaning to watch this for
years, as it's considered Saoirse Ronan's "big break" role. Overall, I
liked it, though it did feel like the ending kind of pulled the rug out
from a lot of what happened before.
This has been in my Netflix queue since 2016. I guess technically, I've
been meaning to watch this for years too. I moved it to the top.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Apollo 18 (Showtime Anytime, though it was on Showtime Beyond last night
just not at a convenient time!...) - There's... something on the
moon!... Some... *thing*!!  ;p
  This movie is not well received, but it's the kind of malarkey that I
respond to. And, besides - it has a good Canadian cast, with Warren
Cristie and Ryan Reynolds!! What's not to like with that, and monsters
on the moon!?!
I don't remember this movie, but I gave it 1 star review on Netflix. I
only give 1 stars for movies I *hate* and never under any circumstances
want to see again.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Recorded for later: Stargirl's "Shiv, Part 1"!!
I watched:

Stargirl - "Shiv Part One" - this was another solid episode. There was
also a lot to unpack with this one. For the most part, Shiv is the star
of the episode. The episode plays out contrasting Shiv to Stargirl as
each other's mirror opposite. Actually this *just* popped into my head,
but perhaps Shive is Faith, to Stargirl's Buffy. Anyway, STRIPE
attempts to train the new League but Stargirl is ridiculously annoying
and impatient. I've been defending Stargirl all along from complaints
about her, but this time she went too far and came off as extremely
unlikable. While Stargirl is anxiously trying to fight for the forces
of good, her opposite counterpart Shiv is actively trying to join the
forces of evil. Stargirl's annoying antics notwithstanding this was a
solid episode, which raised a lot of questions to be answered later.

Hardcore (TCM) 1979 movie staring George C. Scott as a religiously
conservative father whose teenage daughter goes missing while on a
school trip to California. He hires a private investigator (Peter
Boyle) who discovers she made an adult film. But when the cops aren't
helping and the PI is squandering his money, Scott takes the matter into
his own hands. This was basically a "R" rated Lifetime movie with the
father tracking down his daughter instead of the mother. I wasn't sure
if I had seen this before so I checked Netflix, and according to Netflix
I rented this movie 15 years ago, but I have *no* memory of it. I
really like that I can use Netflix to help me track which movies I've
watched before. Especially when I don't remember them.
Ian J. Ball
2020-07-01 18:54:04 UTC
[...]
Well, in terms of "world building", I've already picked up one
"mistake" IMO - they portray the Nazis as airing a "Dragnet"-type show,
but there's no way the Nazis would ever air a show that depicted crime,
like theft, happening on a weekly basis! There's just no way that would
happen!! - It would undermine the whole "perfect world" totalitarian
system they're trying for!

But I'll keep my eyes open for what you're talking about. I already
quite like the Japanese-vs-Nazi poltical power game that's going on in
the background.
Atonement (Showtime Anytime) - I've been meaning to watch this for
years, as it's considered Saoirse Ronan's "big break" role. Overall, I
liked it, though it did feel like the ending kind of pulled the rug out
from a lot of what happened before.
This has been in my Netflix queue since 2016. I guess technically,
I've been meaning to watch this for years too. I moved it to the top.
It's decent - it's YA flick I've seen recently sporting a very young
(looking) James McAvoy, and he's in it more than I was expecting.

Also, note: It would make a very good double-feature with "Dunkirk"
(watch "Atonement" first, then "Dunkirk"!!).
Apollo 18 (Showtime Anytime, though it was on Showtime Beyond last
night just not at a convenient time!...) - There's... something on the
moon!... Some... *thing*!!  ;p
  This movie is not well received, but it's the kind of malarkey that I
respond to. And, besides - it has a good Canadian cast, with Warren
Cristie and Ryan Reynolds!! What's not to like with that, and monsters
on the moon!?!
I don't remember this movie, but I gave it 1 star review on Netflix. I
only give 1 stars for movies I *hate* and never under any circumstances
want to see again.
I doesn't shock me that you'd hate this. ;) But I liked it well enough.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Stargirl - "Shiv Part One"
I'll get to this tonight.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Hardcore (TCM) 1979 movie staring George C. Scott as a religiously
conservative father whose teenage daughter goes missing while on a
school trip to California. He hires a private investigator (Peter
Boyle) who discovers she made an adult film. But when the cops aren't
helping and the PI is squandering his money, Scott takes the matter
into his own hands. This was basically a "R" rated Lifetime movie with
the father tracking down his daughter instead of the mother. I wasn't
sure if I had seen this before so I checked Netflix, and according to
Netflix I rented this movie 15 years ago, but I have *no* memory of it.
I really like that I can use Netflix to help me track which movies
I've watched before. Especially when I don't remember them.
So, it sounds like a "revenge" flick - would I like it?
2020-07-01 19:04:31 UTC
[...]
I'll respond in the form of a ROT13 question.

Ubj qvq gurl trg sbbgntr bs gur Anmvf ybbfvat gur jne vs gurl ernyyl
jba? Fhccbfrqyl gur sbbgntr jnf snxrq. Ohg nyy V pbhyq guvax bs juvyr
jngpuvat jnf gung sbbgntr jnf boivbhfyl erny sbbgntr sebz gur raq bs JJ
VV. Fb jurer qvq vg pbzr sebz?

I already
quite like the Japanese-vs-Nazi poltical power game that's going on in
the background.
So did I. That was some of the best parts. Unfortunately as the
seasons progress you'll get less and less of it. As the two sides sort
of do their own thing.
I really wouldn't classify it as revenge. More searching for a missing kid.
Ian J. Ball
2020-07-01 19:15:56 UTC
[...]
Let's just say, I had a feeling that this would make a good
"double-feature" with my erpragyl-jngpurq UVF QNEX ZNGREVNYF. ;)
I already
quite like the Japanese-vs-Nazi poltical power game that's going on in
the background.
So did I. That was some of the best parts. Unfortunately as the
seasons progress you'll get less and less of it. As the two sides sort
of do their own thing.
I'm already dreading the final season, as it looks like they lose most
the main cast before that season.
[...]
That's a lot less interested then. :(

Speaking of that, though, I've been meaning to watch "The Missing" with
Cate Blanchett and Tommy Lee Jones for a long time - I just added that
to my list yesterday.
2020-07-02 00:56:33 UTC
Speaking of that, though, I've been meaning to watch "The Missing" with
Cate Blanchett and Tommy Lee Jones for a long time - I just added that
to my list yesterday.
I never heard of this movie before. But looking at that cast...added to
the queue.
suzeeq
2020-07-01 19:36:39 UTC
[...]
Nabgure gvzryvar.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
I already
of do their own thing.
Robin Miller
2020-07-01 18:11:49 UTC
I have started watching City on a Hill from last summer on Showtime.
It's been sitting on my DVR since then and I decided it was time to make
a decision.

It's a police drama of sorts set in racially-turbulent Boston in the
early 1990s. I recorded it because of the cast; the main cast includes
Kevin Bacon, Aldis Hodge, Jill Hennessy and Kevin Chapman (Fusco from
Person of Interest), as well as Jonathan Tucker, Mark O'Brien, and
Amanda Clayton, whom I'm not familiar with. The wonderful Sarah Shahi
has been in most of the episodes (I've started episode five of 10)
although she's credited as recurring rather than main cast. Gloria
Reuben and Kathryn Erbe have made guest appearances already.

Kevin Bacon is just amazing in his role. I'm really only watching this
for the performances, but it's pretty compelling, even though I'm not
sure if they're going to be able to wrap up the many story lines. It has
been renewed for a season two.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_on_a_Hill_(TV_series)

--Robin
Arthur Lipscomb
2020-07-01 18:20:24 UTC
Post by Robin Miller
[...]
I forgot all about Season on a Hill. I'm surprised it's getting a
second season. It feels like forever since season 1 aired.
suzeeq
2020-07-01 19:34:21 UTC
Post by Robin Miller
[...]
City on a Hill. and it's been a year. I started it but after about 4
episodes decided I didn't like it much so quit.
BTR1701
I quit, too, but if I'd known Sarah Shahi was in it, I'd muddled through.
Adam H. Kerman
2020-07-02 04:54:06 UTC
Post by Robin Miller
[...]
I watched season one. Kevin Bacon was compelling. Aldis Hodge was
decent, most of the time, but they wrote too many Dramatic Moments for
Hodge's character and ruined the flow. The stuff with Hodge's wife was .
. .

I don't want to say any more.

I liked what Jill Hennessy did with her underwritten, if not poorly
written role. She's better than the plot they gave her.

You should be able to find some single-episode threads I started last
year if you want to discuss it.
Micky DuPree
2020-07-15 05:50:32 UTC
Post by Robin Miller
[...]
"Me too." The writing is "only" decent, but the acting is superb, with
Bacon doing Emmy-worthy work. Hodge's role is less nuanced because he
has to be the most-of-the-time Boy Scout in a sea of morally murky or
outright deplorable figures. Hodge was what convinced me to give the
series a try, because his track record for picking superior projects is
excellent.

The series seems to try to do for Boston what _The Wire_ did for
Baltimore in the first season, depicting both sides of the law
surrounding a case while making everyone three-dimensional, and the
Bostonian detail feels right (speaking as someone who lived in metro
Boston for most of her adult life). No other series is as good as _The
Wire_, but _City on a Hill_ is a good effort.

-Micky

BTR1701
2020-07-01 19:31:24 UTC
Man in the High Castle (Prime) - Episodes 1.1 & 1.2. Likely not going
to go into huge details with this one, as most people who were
interested saw it years ago. But, so far, I'm liking this one - it has
an "alt-"Mad Men"" vibe which I like, and I'm enjoying Cary-Hiroyuki
Tagawa's performance. Hey, look! It's Harry from "Charmed" and Dean
Fogg from "The Magicians"!!
These episodes were mostly set-up, with Alexa Davalos' character
trying to figure out what's going on.
I'm ahead of you, but I'm still in the first season. It's much better
than the book, which I couldn't get through.
Adam H. Kerman
2020-07-02 05:04:10 UTC
Man in the High Castle (Prime) - Episodes 1.1 & 1.2. Likely not going
to go into huge details with this one, as most people who were
interested saw it years ago. But, so far, I'm liking this one - it has
an "alt-"Mad Men"" vibe which I like, and I'm enjoying Cary-Hiroyuki
Tagawa's performance. Hey, look! It's Harry from "Charmed" and Dean
Fogg from "The Magicians"!!
These episodes were mostly set-up, with Alexa Davalos' character
trying to figure out what's going on.
I'm ahead of you, but I'm still in the first season. It's much better
than the book, which I couldn't get through.
I find Philip K. Dick absolutely compelling, at least before he decided
to create that religion. The later works, not so much.

A Scanner Darkly was famously adapted into a Playboy pictorial. I had
the issue at one time.
Arthur Lipscomb
Sure you don't mean L. Ron Hubbard? Or did PKD start a religion too?
Adam H. Kerman
2020-07-02 19:53:39 UTC
Man in the High Castle (Prime) - Episodes 1.1 & 1.2. Likely not going
to go into huge details with this one, as most people who were
interested saw it years ago. But, so far, I'm liking this one - it has
an "alt-"Mad Men"" vibe which I like, and I'm enjoying Cary-Hiroyuki
Tagawa's performance. Hey, look! It's Harry from "Charmed" and Dean
Fogg from "The Magicians"!!
These episodes were mostly set-up, with Alexa Davalos' character
trying to figure out what's going on.
I'm ahead of you, but I'm still in the first season. It's much better
than the book, which I couldn't get through.
I find Philip K. Dick absolutely compelling, at least before he decided
to create that religion.
Sure you don't mean L. Ron Hubbard? Or did PKD start a religion too?
I certainly do not mean Hubband and Scientology.

Dick wasn't really trying to recruit anybody, but he wrote some weird
books set in a world with this religion toward the end of his life.
Jim G.
2020-07-04 22:46:15 UTC
Having completed most of my grading for summer session, I spend
Man in the High Castle (Prime) - Episodes 1.1 & 1.2. Likely not going
to go into huge details with this one, as most people who were
interested saw it years ago. But, so far, I'm liking this one - it has
an "alt-"Mad Men"" vibe which I like, and I'm enjoying Cary-Hiroyuki
Tagawa's performance. Hey, look! It's Harry from "Charmed" and Dean
Fogg from "The Magicians"!!
These episodes were mostly set-up, with Alexa Davalos' character
trying to figure out what's going on.
You're in for a treat. Solid acting, good writing, interesting
characters. The entire series is in my Keeper library.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Atonement (Showtime Anytime) - I've been meaning to watch this for
years, as it's considered Saoirse Ronan's "big break" role. Overall, I
liked it, though it did feel like the ending kind of pulled the rug out
from a lot of what happened before.
I mainly remember an elegant Keira in a green dress up against a wall
and a soaking wet Keira climbing out of a fountain. Memories can be
fickle like that.
"I'm really glad we're at this place in our relationship where we can
dig up graves together without having to talk." -- Major Lillywhite, iZOMBIE
anim8rfsk
Jim G.
2020-07-05 21:56:03 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
Atonement (Showtime Anytime) - I've been meaning to watch this for
years, as it's considered Saoirse Ronan's "big break" role. Overall, I
liked it, though it did feel like the ending kind of pulled the rug out
from a lot of what happened before.
I mainly remember an elegant Keira in a green dress up against a wall
and a soaking wet Keira climbing out of a fountain. Memories can be
fickle like that.
rowr
It was a...war movie, IIRC. :-)
Adam H. Kerman
2020-07-06 17:52:15 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Atonement (Showtime Anytime) - I've been meaning to watch this for
years, as it's considered Saoirse Ronan's "big break" role. Overall, I
liked it, though it did feel like the ending kind of pulled the rug out
from a lot of what happened before.
I mainly remember an elegant Keira in a green dress up against a wall
and a soaking wet Keira climbing out of a fountain. Memories can be
fickle like that.
rowr

I've always disliked this movie, so if you don't want to watch the rest
of it, here you are.
anim8rfsk
2020-07-06 20:00:30 UTC
http://youtu.be/axUqoxmPLhw
http://youtu.be/IkF3M_FE4MM
I've always disliked this movie, so if you don't want to watch the rest
of it, here you are.
Rowr, and rowr again!

That's a pretty awesome job of surfacing she does there. I suspect
shenanigans.
2020-07-06 20:35:52 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Atonement (Showtime Anytime) - I've been meaning to watch this for
years, as it's considered Saoirse Ronan's "big break" role. Overall,
I liked it, though it did feel like the ending kind of pulled the
rug out from a lot of what happened before.
I mainly remember an elegant Keira in a green dress up against a wall
and a soaking wet Keira climbing out of a fountain. Memories can be
fickle like that.
rowr
http://youtu.be/axUqoxmPLhw
http://youtu.be/IkF3M_FE4MM
I've always disliked this movie, so if you don't want to watch the rest
of it, here you are.
Rowr, and rowr again!
That's a pretty awesome job of surfacing she does there. I suspect
shenanigans.
That's a pretty deep fountain, too.

I've always thought of Keira as the British version of Winona Ryder.
Adam H. Kerman
Oh that's mean. As far as I know, she's sober.
anim8rfsk
Jim G.
2020-07-10 01:08:23 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by Ian J. Ball
[...]
Oh that's mean.
He just out-meaned us both...if that's possible.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
As far as I know, she's sober.
And not batshit crazy.
BTR1701
2020-07-10 01:41:05 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by Jim G.
Post by Ian J. Ball
[...]
Post by Adam H. Kerman
As far as I know, she's sober.
And not batshit crazy.
I don't mean by her behavior or anything. Just she reminds me of Winona
and takes the same kind of roles.
anim8rfsk
2020-07-10 02:27:13 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
As far as I know, she's sober.
And not batshit crazy.
I don't mean by her behavior or anything. Just she reminds me of Winona
and takes the same kind of roles.
Are you thinking of Winona in the Pirates movies or the Chanel ads?
Jim G.
2020-07-10 03:58:52 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
As far as I know, she's sober.
And not batshit crazy.
I don't mean by her behavior or anything. Just she reminds me of Winona
and takes the same kind of roles.
Too late. Put down the shovel and slowly back away from that hole.

But to be fair, I was mostly thinking about the women and not their
roles. And I really don't know enough about either one's entire credit
list to make an argument either way.
anim8rfsk
2020-07-07 00:38:23 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Atonement (Showtime Anytime) - I've been meaning to watch this for
years, as it's considered Saoirse Ronan's "big break" role. Overall,
I liked it, though it did feel like the ending kind of pulled the
rug out from a lot of what happened before.
I mainly remember an elegant Keira in a green dress up against a wall
and a soaking wet Keira climbing out of a fountain. Memories can be
fickle like that.
rowr
http://youtu.be/axUqoxmPLhw
http://youtu.be/IkF3M_FE4MM
I've always disliked this movie, so if you don't want to watch the rest
of it, here you are.
Rowr, and rowr again!
That's a pretty awesome job of surfacing she does there. I suspect
shenanigans.
That's a pretty deep fountain, too.
Pretty deep and crystal clear.
Post by BTR1701
I've always thought of Keira as the British version of Winona Ryder.
That was just mean.
Jim G.
Jim G.
2020-07-10 01:07:09 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Atonement (Showtime Anytime) - I've been meaning to watch this for
years, as it's considered Saoirse Ronan's "big break" role. Overall, I
liked it, though it did feel like the ending kind of pulled the rug out
from a lot of what happened before.
I mainly remember an elegant Keira in a green dress up against a wall
and a soaking wet Keira climbing out of a fountain. Memories can be
fickle like that.
rowr
http://youtu.be/axUqoxmPLhw
http://youtu.be/IkF3M_FE4MM
I've always disliked this movie, so if you don't want to watch the rest
of it, here you are.
I'll be in my bunk...looking for the continuation of the scene with her
in the green dress. I mean, seriously, who in their right mind ends the
clip there?!?
Adam H. Kerman
2020-07-10 07:21:29 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Atonement (Showtime Anytime) - I've been meaning to watch this for
years, as it's considered Saoirse Ronan's "big break" role. Overall, I
liked it, though it did feel like the ending kind of pulled the rug out
from a lot of what happened before.
I mainly remember an elegant Keira in a green dress up against a wall
and a soaking wet Keira climbing out of a fountain. Memories can be
fickle like that.
rowr
http://youtu.be/axUqoxmPLhw
http://youtu.be/IkF3M_FE4MM
I've always disliked this movie, so if you don't want to watch the rest
of it, here you are.
As so many of you were discussing Atonement, and I got to thinking about
how good/strong/fragile/vulnerable Keira Knightly was in this, and James
McAvoy was one of the best romantic leads ever and Saoirse Ronan was the
evilist little sisters ever... Have I been wrong about this movie all
this time? I haven't seen it since I saw it in theater in 2007.

I looked again on YouTube and still can't find a good clip of the green
dress in the library scene. Any number of clips extract from it, with
other music, and one is in the wrong aspect ratio. I guess you'll just
have to watch the movie.

Keira Knightly as Cecelia is grace and elegance and sensuality. James
McAvoy as Robbie looks at her with love and a powerful lust. The two
grew up together. Cecelia is the daughter of a wealthy man and the
family lives on an elegant estate. The home and grounds used in the
movie are in Shropshire and much of the movie's interiors are filmed in
the home's interior.

Robbie works on the estate, taking care of the grounds. His mother is a
servant. But before he died, Cecelia's father wanted to ensure his
future. He thought he was a bright young man and put him through
college. Robbie wants to become a doctor.

Everything Robbie does irritates Cecelia till she succombs to her
passions. In that vintage green dress. In the library. With Robbie. In
fact, Robbie is making love to both Cecelia and the dress.

Saoirse Ronan plays Briony at age 13, the brattiest little sister ever
seen in a movie. The performance is brilliant and you will hate Briony
with a passion. She was nominated for Best Supporting Actress but lost
to Tilda Swinton for Michael Clayton; she should have won.

Briony at age 18 is played by Romola Garai. The resemblance is uncanny
and the two actresses worked on movement and gestures to allow us to
suspend disbelief that it's the same character. It doesn't work with
Vanessa Redgrave in the epilogue.

The first act of the story takes place on the estate on a hot summer
day, 1935. In a key moment establishing Briony's character (which other
people writing reviews of this movie skip commenting on for reasons I
don't understand), Briony, a budding author, has written a play for the
family to perform. The house is filled with people, including children
from another family, two twin boys and their teenage sister Lola. Their
parents are going through a bitter divorce. The boys are miserable,
thinking they've been abandoned by their parents, and Lola is in denial.

Briony demands a rehearsal; no one cooperates. Briony has written her
fiction and wants to direct/manipulate everyone around her into the
imaginary world she's created.

If only Briony had directed her rehearsal, would she have created any of
the ensuing drama that would destroy so many lives?

Friends of the older brother are also at the estate, including Paul
Marshall (Benedict Cumberbatch) who is supplying hard-shelled chocolate
to the British Army for soldiers' kits. He expresses an unnatural
interest in Lola.

We see the fountain scene from two perspectives: Briony watches from
upstairs and doesn't understand that Cecelia and Robbie are flirting.
She misses what's going on and thinks Cecelia could be in danger. But
the scene is repeated from the perspective of the two would-be lovers;
Briony was entirely wrong.

Robbie had played the fool for a beautiful woman and, back in his rooms,
drafts and redrafts a letter. One version isn't romantic but a Letter to
Penthouse, expressing his lust and wanting to kiss her cunt, her wet
cunt. In a, er, Freudian slip, he grabs the Penthouse letter, puts it in
an envelope, and hands it to Briony to give to her sister. Briony opens
the letter, of course, reads it, then discusses it with Lola. The two
decide Robbie is a perverted sex maniac.

No, as Tallulah Bankhead famously said about Chico Marx, Robbie is just
an old-fashioned boy.

Cecelia finally gets the letter and knows her sister read it. She's not
offended. This leads to confessing her love to Robbie and the green
dress in the library scene.

We see the scene from Briony's perspective, who has interrupted them. She
sees that her older sister is being harmed, slammed against the library
shelves, by Robbie the perverted sex maniac. But seeing the scene from the
perspective of the two lovers and the green dress, it's full-on passion.

There's a brief moment of humor: Robbie, suffering from coitus
interruptus, takes several very long beats, keeping his back to Briony,
before he can pull himself together, re-fasten his clothes, and turn
around for a most undignified exist from the library.

Now, you have to realize: The movie isn't a romance but melodrama. Truly
terrible things happen to the characters. In my opinion not shared by
lots of people who love this movie, the scenes that are not about
romance between them are weak and I blame the director.

The twin boys have run away to find their father. We learn this after
dinner. A search party is organized. Briony wanders around by herself,
eventually coming upon Lola being raped. From Briony's perspective only,
she isn't looking at the man's face but just knows it's Robbie. Lola,
terrified, says she didn't see the face of her assailant. Lola is
helped into the house and the doctor and police are called. Briony
announces to her mother and others that it's Robbie.

But it can't be Robbie. He's elsewhere on the estate, and has returned
with the twin boys. After a ridiculous interview with a police inspector
who has led Briony into exactly what to say and how to say it to be a
witness for the prosecution at trial, Briony states that she clearly saw
that it was Robbie raping Lola. Cecelia warns the police not to believe
Briony because she convinces herself to believe the stories she makes
up, but she's ignored.

Second act

Robbie will spend the next four years in prison, only to be let out due
to Britain's entry into WWII. He enlists but will never be promoted
beyond private.

Cecelia will not go to college. She's broken things off with her own
family, especially Briony. She's trained to become a nurse and will
serve at an evacuation hospital in Balham, South London. There is a
lovely, important scene at lunch in Balham between Cecelia and Robbie.

In France, 1940, the British army is in full retreat. Robbie and two
other men have become separated after a German Panzer attack and slowly
make their way to Dunkirk. We see that Robbie has one of those major
wounds in the center of his chest, untreated and not even cleaned or
bandaged. There are apparently no vital organs in the center of his
chest. The wound doesn't prevent him from walking miles.

Trying to find his way and briefly leaving his two soldiers, one of whom
never stops talking, we have a scene that's disconnected from everything
else. Robbie has come upon a major crime in the middle of the war: Girls
from a Catholic school were murdered, then lain gently on the ground in
an orderly fashion. Robbie is depressed and saddened at the sight. We
don't know how or why it happened. It doesn't appear that the bodies
were pulled from the rubble of a bombed schoolhouse building because no
one looks like she died of crush injuries.

There's no further reference to the incident and Robbie hasn't even
shown the two men he's travelling to Dunkirk with.

Arriving at Dunkirk, we get the scene at which the director spent 1/4 of
the movie's budget on: Massive sets of shipwrecks and destroyed
buildings. There is a long long long long tracking shot, stated to be 6
1/2 minutes long. The director thinks he's David Lean. No, seriously. He
says this in interviews.

David Lean's daughter hated the shot, said it was boring, but I think
it's pretty cool. I have a vague recollection of noticing some of the
CGI in theater, but on television, it's not noticeable.

Third act

Briony is now age 18. She's followed her sister into nursing school and
won't go to college either. She's desperate to reconnect with her
sister, to apologize. We see her scrubbing beds, floors, and her own
fingers.

She sees newsreel footage showing Paul Marshall, now an industrial
supplying the Army with soldier's rations, about to marry Lola. She
shows up at the church in the middle of the ceremony and remembers that
the rapist was Paul.

She finds her sister, now living with an evacuated but slightly shell
shocked Robbie, and says she'll officially recant her testimony and
otherwise make amends. There's a ridiculous discussion that Lola,
married to the perpetrator, cannot testify against him.

She continues to make excuses for the crime she committed at age 13 just
because she was so young and didn't understand what she saw.

Uh, no, that's not how marital privilege works. That has to do with
things said in confidence between the spouses, not covering up crimes
that occurred before the marriage. In any event, the reason why Lola
cannot testify was established shortly after the rape as she never saw
her assailant's face.

So Briony has ruined more lives, now that Lola married her own
assailant.

Epilogue

Briony has become a most famous and acclaimed novelist. She's published
her 21st novel and tells the interviewer that it's her last. She's dying
a horrible death from vascular dementia, a series of small strokes that
will take her memory and kill her. She won't be able to write.

Her last work is Atonement. It's not a memoir, but fiction. She names
names, including her own, and she claims to have learned from third-hand
accounts what happened to Robbie in the war and at Dunkirk and at
prison and has put it all in the book.

She tells the interviewer that she's faced up to the unvarnished truth
and has written with honesty, but what's the point of honesty if it
won't give the reader anything to enjoy?

Oh yeah. NOW I remember why I despised this movie so intensely and
didn't want to rewatch it since I first saw it in 2007.

She tells the interviewer the truth. Robbie died at Dunkirk from
septicaemia from his untreated wound before he could be evacuated.
Cecelia died later in 1940. During a London air raid, she and dozens of
others took shelter in a tube station in Balham, which collapsed during
a bombing raid. Nearly all died.

In the novel, she gave her sister and Robbie the happy ending she denied
them in life, because the truth wouldn't do any good. She simply made up
the scene in which she had visited her sister and Robbie in Balham and
agreed to recant her testimony. They were both dead at this point. She
actually never saw her sister again.

She's still and forever the 13 year old child using fiction to
manipulate the people in her life. She's deluded herself into thinking
that writing a happy ended for the two dead lovers has made up in any
way what she did to them in life.

At no point has she atoned.

I don't despise because Briony refused to face up, still believes
honesty won't do any good, and will die without her memories in a self
deluded state.

It's just that a movie called Atonement has simply lied to the audience.
It failed to deliver what was promised.

Aside from all that, the movie is just oh so pretensious. We follow bees
and dropped jewelry as the shiny things that catch Briony's eye, which
then lead her to seeing and misinterpreting what the two lovers are
doing. Dunkirk isn't the only tracking shot, but it's the longest.

The movie had seven Oscar nominations. I already mentioned Saoirse
Ronan's. The others were best picture, adapted screenplay,
cinematography, art direction, and costume, so yeah, the green dress
lost. Other critics have named it the single most important dress in the
movies, beating out Audrey Hepburn's little black dress in Breakfast at
Tiffany's.

It had one win: Best score.

Jeeze. I don't like the score because I find a lot of it intrusive and
not incidental as a movie score is supposed to be. "Percussion" is
provided unsubtly by keys clacking on a typewriter, an unsubtle hint
that Briony is making shit up at that moment. Also, the rest of the
sound effects are deliberately unsubtle and blended into the score.

Also, if you listen to the composition for our doomed lovers, especially
after what we learn at movie's end was final meeting at lunch, those
chord changes are very very familiar.

It's Nature Boy.

That doesn't belong in an award-winning score.
Jim G.
2020-07-12 01:50:12 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Atonement (Showtime Anytime) - I've been meaning to watch this for
years, as it's considered Saoirse Ronan's "big break" role. Overall, I
liked it, though it did feel like the ending kind of pulled the rug out
from a lot of what happened before.
I mainly remember an elegant Keira in a green dress up against a wall
and a soaking wet Keira climbing out of a fountain. Memories can be
fickle like that.
rowr
http://youtu.be/axUqoxmPLhw
http://youtu.be/IkF3M_FE4MM
I've always disliked this movie, so if you don't want to watch the rest
of it, here you are.
As so many of you were discussing Atonement, and I got to thinking about
how good/strong/fragile/vulnerable Keira Knightly was in this,
Yes.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
and James
McAvoy was one of the best romantic leads ever and Saoirse Ronan was the
evilist little sisters ever... Have I been wrong about this movie all
this time? I haven't seen it since I saw it in theater in 2007.
I looked again on YouTube and still can't find a good clip of the green
dress in the library scene.
What is WRONG with people?!?
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Any number of clips extract from it, with
other music, and one is in the wrong aspect ratio. I guess you'll just
have to watch the movie.
Keira Knightly as Cecelia is grace and elegance and sensuality.
Yes. Three words that I would never apply to Winona Ryder (in case BTR
is Paying Attention).
Post by Adam H. Kerman
James
McAvoy as Robbie looks at her with love and a powerful lust. The two
grew up together. Cecelia is the daughter of a wealthy man and the
family lives on an elegant estate. The home and grounds used in the
movie are in Shropshire and much of the movie's interiors are filmed in
the home's interior.
Robbie works on the estate, taking care of the grounds. His mother is a
servant. But before he died, Cecelia's father wanted to ensure his
future. He thought he was a bright young man and put him through
college. Robbie wants to become a doctor.
Everything Robbie does irritates Cecelia till she succombs to her
passions. In that vintage green dress. In the library. With Robbie. In
fact, Robbie is making love to both Cecelia and the dress.
Can you blame him?
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Saoirse Ronan plays Briony at age 13, the brattiest little sister ever
seen in a movie. The performance is brilliant and you will hate Briony
with a passion.
Yep.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
She was nominated for Best Supporting Actress but lost
to Tilda Swinton for Michael Clayton; she should have won.
Briony at age 18 is played by Romola Garai. The resemblance is uncanny
and the two actresses worked on movement and gestures to allow us to
suspend disbelief that it's the same character. It doesn't work with
Vanessa Redgrave in the epilogue.
Vanessa probably couldn't have cared less as long as the check cleared.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
You say that like it's a bad thing.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Briony watches from
upstairs and doesn't understand that Cecelia and Robbie are flirting.
She misses what's going on and thinks Cecelia could be in danger. But
the scene is repeated from the perspective of the two would-be lovers;
Briony was entirely wrong.
Robbie had played the fool for a beautiful woman and, back in his rooms,
drafts and redrafts a letter. One version isn't romantic but a Letter to
Penthouse, expressing his lust and wanting to kiss her cunt, her wet
cunt.
It's good to have goals.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
In a, er, Freudian slip, he grabs the Penthouse letter, puts it in
an envelope, and hands it to Briony to give to her sister. Briony opens
the letter, of course, reads it, then discusses it with Lola. The two
decide Robbie is a perverted sex maniac.
No, as Tallulah Bankhead famously said about Chico Marx, Robbie is just
an old-fashioned boy.
Cecelia finally gets the letter and knows her sister read it. She's not
offended. This leads to confessing her love to Robbie and the green
dress in the library scene.
We should be eternally thankful for people who write two drafts.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
We see the scene from Briony's perspective, who has interrupted them. She
sees that her older sister is being harmed, slammed against the library
shelves, by Robbie the perverted sex maniac. But seeing the scene from the
perspective of the two lovers and the green dress, it's full-on passion.
There's a brief moment of humor: Robbie, suffering from coitus
interruptus, takes several very long beats, keeping his back to Briony,
before he can pull himself together, re-fasten his clothes, and turn
around for a most undignified exist from the library.
And if he didn't hate the kid before...
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
Years later, Christopher Nolan would say, "Hold my beer."
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
It's almost enough to make her unlikable.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
IIRC, my takeaway was that she DID atone, but only as far as she could
-- in a fictional way, which is consistent with a lot of the ways in
which she lived her entire life. She preferred the world of make-believe
and thought that atoning THERE -- by giving them a fictional happy
ending -- was sufficient.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Aside from all that, the movie is just oh so pretensious. We follow bees
and dropped jewelry as the shiny things that catch Briony's eye, which
then lead her to seeing and misinterpreting what the two lovers are
doing. Dunkirk isn't the only tracking shot, but it's the longest.
The movie had seven Oscar nominations. I already mentioned Saoirse
Ronan's. The others were best picture, adapted screenplay,
cinematography, art direction, and costume, so yeah, the green dress
lost. Other critics have named it the single most important dress in the
movies, beating out Audrey Hepburn's little black dress in Breakfast at
Tiffany's.
That's a tough call, actually. But it's really apples and oranges once
you consider what takes place in the green dress...
BTR1701
2020-07-12 05:03:46 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Any number of clips extract from it, with
other music, and one is in the wrong aspect ratio. I guess you'll just
have to watch the movie.
Keira Knightly as Cecelia is grace and elegance and sensuality.
Yes. Three words that I would never apply to Winona Ryder
Winona was a smokeshow in her prime. I will brook no dissent. I don't
care if she was drunk and shoplifting half of Hollywood.
Jim G.
2020-07-12 23:31:17 UTC
Post by Jim G.
http://youtu.be/axUqoxmPLhw
http://youtu.be/IkF3M_FE4MM
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Any number of clips extract from it, with
other music, and one is in the wrong aspect ratio. I guess you'll just
have to watch the movie.
Keira Knightly as Cecelia is grace and elegance and sensuality.
Yes. Three words that I would never apply to Winona Ryder
Winona was a smokeshow in her prime. I will brook no dissent.
I must've blinked and missed it. :-)
Post by BTR1701
I don't
care if she was drunk and shoplifting half of Hollywood.
Well, the cutting was getting old and just not getting much attention,
so it's not her fault that she had to ramp it up a bit. (Okay, I don't
know what did or didn't precede the theft stage, but I saw the theft as
a cry for attention from the very start.)
--
Jim G. | Often found between a chair and a keyboard
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov
Capricorne
2020-07-01 17:23:18 UTC
[...]
I've watched two episodes of DARK Season3. I still don't understand
what's going on, but I keep watching. WHY???
suzeeq
2020-07-01 19:31:33 UTC
Post by Capricorne
I've watched two episodes of DARK Season3. I still don't understand
what's going on, but I keep watching. WHY???
You keep hoping for something to make sense? I'm still stuck in S1 due
to not being able to find an english sub or dub version, think I'll have
to subscribe to Netflix this summer. But I did find the wikipedia
article helped me figure out some of it, both in ep summaries and the
list of characters, their relationships and what timelines they were in.
Capricorne
Thanks for the tip.
anim8rfsk
2020-07-01 22:29:02 UTC
What Did You Watch? 2020-06-30 (Tuesday)
July 1, 2020 at 12:31:33 PM MST
Post by Capricorne
I've watched two episodes of DARK Season3. I still don't understand
what's going on, but I keep watching. WHY???
You keep hoping for something to make sense? I'm still stuck in S1 due
to not being able to find an english sub or dub version
I looked for you and struck out too.
2020-07-01 19:30:16 UTC
[...]
Not to mention, isn't Federation people dressing up as and surgically
altering themselves to fit in with these primitive populations the
equivalent of 24th-century blackface?
Ubiquitous
2020-07-01 21:24:26 UTC
[...]
*GASP*
The Federation is so CANCELLED!

--
Democrats and the liberal media hate President Trump more than they
love this country.
anim8rfsk
Jim G.
2020-07-04 22:45:58 UTC
STARGIRL / 1x07 / Shiv (1)

[As Pat teaches Courtney, Yolanda, Beth and Rick the importance of
teamwork, the ISA converge to figure out who is trying to take them down.]

Bullet points once more:

* We learn that Cindy is a multifaceted beeyatch, but a beeyatch
nonetheless.
* Courtney is all about Courtney once again and ruins things for the
rest of the team.
* Speaking of the team, we really needed a couple more messages about it
all being about teamwork.
* We get a Big Hint about Chekov's Janitor.

Grade: B