What Did You Watch? 2020-07-03 (Friday)
2020-07-04 08:30:41 UTC

RUPAUL'S ALL STARS DRAG RACE:
"Snatch Game of Love". This season's "snatch game" spoofed The Dating
Game. One of the dragtestants did Flav O Flav, but did it so well that
no one cared. The one doing Ellen, tho... Anyhow, since they're now on
VH1, they introduced producer-driver drama, so it's not as good as it
used to be.

CHAPPELLE'S SHOW:
"The Love Contract & True Hollywood Stories: Rick James". The infamous
and hillarious one which made him famous.

HOGAN'S HEROES:
"Kommandant Gertrude". Burkaulder's battleaxe sister arrives to
announce she is getting married to some foppish man, much to Klinks
relief, but it is short-lived when she declares her finance is going to
replace him at Stalog 13. Hogan et al get rid of him by framing him for
fooling around with a pretty frauline.

HOGAN'S HEROES:
"Hogan's Double Life". After the "Fox Mulder" of gestapo agents who is
convinced that Colonel Hogan is a saboteur manages to get a photo of
Hogan and plans to use it to collaborate his theory, Hogan has to
convince him he has a Nazi doppleganger.

Democrats and the liberal media hate President Trump more than they
love this country.
Ian J. Ball
2020-07-04 17:05:55 UTC
Nearing the end of my summer session, so I took it super easy
yesterday, and just watched stuff!...:

The Man in the High Castle (Prime) - Ep's #1.4-1.6. Got caught into
binging this because I wanted to see where it goes. The main thread was
Juliana returning to S.F., basically getting the cold shoulder from
<s>Harry</s> Frank (understandable) who is freaking out about getting
the rap for the assassination attempt (after Frank chickened out on
it!), and then the resistance prompting Juliana to get a job in th
"Nippon Building" where she ends up working for Tagomi (Cary-Hiroyuki
Tagawa)!! At the end of episode #1.6, Juliana makes a key discovery
both about where the films come from, but also a revelation about
somebody she knows! Meanwhile, EVOL!!1! Obergruppenführer Smith (Rufus
Sewell) brings in the Nazi saboteur working with Tagomi, and then
tricks Joe.
Hey, look! - It's Michael Gaston playing a genuinely *good guy* and
not a smarmy asshole, for once!!

soaps: B&B - A more recent episode, as it starred the recent mousy
version of Hope Logan, who tells Liam that she's preggers.
DOOL - Gabi tries to use Vivian to get to "Jake", and Jake is
starting to believe that he's Stefan (apparently the DNA matched!!)
which Gwen doesn't like one bit! (I'm starting to wonder if it will
turn out that Jake is Stefan's twin...) Other stuff happened with
stupid preggers Allie, but it wasn't interesting.

Abducted (aka. Diverted Eden; Showtime Showcase) - This was not good -
obviously very low budget with only a couple of decent people in the
cast (mostly Scout Taylor-Compton, and Najarra Townsend in a bit part).
I didn't even really watch the whole thing, but I bring it up because I
wanted contrast it with another "action" movie I watched later...

Joker (HBO Go) - Arthur was right - you have to pay close attention to
this one, or you'll lose the details. For example, in the middle, there
was something that happened that didn't make any sense to me, but later
they provide the explanation for it, so it makes perfect sense.
Anyway, this is a tough watch, but a good origin story - this flick
definitely does sort of set it up so you can see how you get to from
this film to, say, the Joker we get in "The Dark Knight".
This flick also ends up being surprisingly topical.
Overall, this flick was well cast, but there was one (IMO) big
misstep - Douglas Hodge was *all wrong* as Alfred, and basically didn't
match *any* of the previous versions of Alfred. Maybe we can chalk it
up to Arthur's "impression" of Alfred, rather than it being the "real"
Alfred.

Reprisal (Prime) - Similar to "Abducted", but *a lot* better done.
Don't get me wrong - the way both Frank Grillo and Bruce Willis end up
portraying their characters (and/or the way they were *directed* to
play their characters!) was highly, *highly* cheesy. But this was a
much better action pic all around when compared to "Abducted" - better
casting (e.g. hottie Olivia Culpo!), better directed, better action set
pieces, and obviously a bigger budget.
I guess the moral of the story is, for an "action" picture, there is
a "minimum" budget level, below which there's no way you can do a
decent action movie. (Which isn't likely true of, say, horror...)
Anyway, in this one Grillo's bank manager suffers PTSD after a
vicious bank job by an ex-military psycho (Johnathon Schaech - didn't
know he was still around!!), and starts working with his neighbor - a
retried cop (Willis) - to track the bank robber down. Wackiness, and
shootouts! ensue.
2020-07-04 21:01:10 UTC
[...]
Netflix doesn't seem to have this movie. They have a movie called
"Abducted" but different cast and plot.
Joker (HBO Go) - Arthur was right - you have to pay close attention to
this one, or you'll lose the details. For example, in the middle, there
was something that happened that didn't make any sense to me, but later
they provide the explanation for it, so it makes perfect sense.
  Anyway, this is a tough watch, but a good origin story - this flick
definitely does sort of set it up so you can see how you get to from
this film to, say, the Joker we get in "The Dark Knight".
  This flick also ends up being surprisingly topical.
  Overall, this flick was well cast, but there was one (IMO) big
misstep - Douglas Hodge was *all wrong* as Alfred, and basically didn't
match *any* of the previous versions of Alfred. Maybe we can chalk it up
to Arthur's "impression" of Alfred, rather than it being the "real" Alfred.
I want to see this again, but I can't decide what exactly it goes with.
It's not in continuity with anything. And I have no intention of
watching Taxi Driver again. I'll probably watch it some random day when
nothing else is on and I'm in the "mood" to see it again. Or I'm
watching some other movie with the same actor or director.
[...]
Never heard of this before. Added to the queue.

I watched:

Hamilton (Disney Plus) Recording of the Broadway musical with the
original cast. I've seen the show live twice in San Francisco, and I've
listened to the Broadway cast recording soundtrack more times than I can
remember, so I went in as a huge fan with high expectations. I am very
happy to say this version did not disappoint. It was great to see
Lin-Manuel Miranda and all the other original cast members performing
for the first time. The only issue I had, and this has nothing to do
with the quality of the show itself, but since I'm so familiar with the
soundtrack album, I picked up on every little difference in this live
performance compared to the studio album. Little things like snapping a
finger, or taking an extra beat, even the audience applauding all stood
out to my ear. But then I'm really sensitive to things like that. I
own multiple copies of scores like Superman, and Poltergeist because of
minor differences that I notice while listening and have to get the
deluxe version of the soundtrack with every music cue and note in order
to properly enjoy it.

Mysterious Island (TCM) 1961 movie based on the Jules Verne novel using
Ray Harryhausen stop motion techniques. It's set during the civil war.
A group of union soldiers escape a confederate prison in a hot air
balloon and wind up on island populated with giant creatures. They
encounter other survivors, pirates, various giant creatures, and Captain
Nemo along the way. I went into this thinking I had never seen it
before, but about half way through when two people were getting encased
in a giant honey comb by a giant bee, then later when captain Nemo
showed up using a giant shell as a scuba tank, I realized I had actually
seen this before. It holds up well enough. I originally wanted to
watch the 1960 version of "The 3 Worlds of Gulliver" first, since it
also uses Ray Harryhausen stop motion, but I realized I might not have
time and since it had no other connection to the movies I planed to
watch, it could safely wait for later...or so I thought.

Journey to the Center of the Earth (3D blu-ray) 2008 movie based on the
Jules Verne book staring Brendan Fraser and Josh Hutcherson. The plot
is a bit muddled but basically Fraser plays an absentminded professor
who negligently brings his teenage nephew along with him to check out
some scientific data in Iceland. The two of them along with their guide
wind up learning Jules Vern's book was true, the hard way. It's not a
good movie or anything, but it has it's moments. This was an old school
3D movie with lots and lots of gratuitous in your face 3D effects. You
*know* it's that type of 3D movie the second someone pulls out a yo-yo.
They *always* have a yo-yo in these types of 3D movies!

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (3D blu-ray) 2012 sequel based on the
Jules Verne book. Following the events of Center of the Earth, Josh
Hutcherson has become obsessed with Verne and after receiving a
mysterious transmission from his grandfather (Michael Caine) he sets out
to find him. Dwayne Johnson replaces Frasier as the adult male who
comes along on the adventure. And Luis Guzmán and Vanessa Hudgens play
the tour guides whose helicopter they charter to get them to the island.
With the exception of the giant animals on the island, the plot of
this one had *nothing* to do with the 1961 version. But this movie did
make constant references to "Gulliver's Travels" as a plot point which
just poured salt on the wound since I didn't have time to watch it
earlier in the day like I originally hoped I would. The movie itself
was otherwise pretty mediocre. The 3D was flawless, but the plot bored
me most of the time. Say what you will about the first movie not being
good, it was at least interesting.
anim8rfsk
2020-07-05 01:25:31 UTC
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (3D blu-ray) 2012 sequel based on the
Jules Verne book. Following the events of Center of the Earth, Josh
Hutcherson has become obsessed with Verne and after receiving a
mysterious transmission from his grandfather (Michael Caine) he sets out
to find him. Dwayne Johnson replaces Frasier as the adult male who
comes along on the adventure. And Luis Guzmán and Vanessa Hudgens play
Play, Vanessa, play!
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
the tour guides whose helicopter they charter to get them to the island.
With the exception of the giant animals on the island, the plot of
this one had *nothing* to do with the 1961 version.
It had a Nautilus!
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
But this movie did
make constant references to "Gulliver's Travels" as a plot point which
just poured salt on the wound since I didn't have time to watch it
earlier in the day like I originally hoped I would. The movie itself
was otherwise pretty mediocre. The 3D was flawless,
Agreed
2020-07-05 03:50:14 UTC
[...]
I was amazed (and thrilled) when THE LAST JEDI was released on disc and
they included a version of the movie with all dialogue and sound effects
removed so that only the music is left. It didn't take long before the
technical kids stripped it off the disc into a downloadable file and now
I have the entire thing in my iTunes library from first note to last.
Arthur Lipscomb
2020-07-05 14:55:19 UTC
[...]
The Flash Gordon soundtrack wouldn't sound right to me without the
dialogue from the movie mixed in. On the other hand, I hate versions of
Rocky Horror and Phantom of the Opera that includes the spoken dialogue,
and in the case of Phantom different lyrics. I sort of cobbled together
my own versions of Rocky Horror and Phantom using multiple sources so I
get just the songs. It's far from perfect, but it gets the job done.
BTR1701
2020-07-05 17:39:53 UTC
[...]
I was actually disappointed that the album release of REEFER MADNESS
stripped out all the dialogue breaks in the songs. Not only does it take
away valuable context but in several cases, all the band is doing in the
background is vamping, so you have songs that suddenly seem to pause for
not reason while the band plays the same four measures over and over.
BTR1701
2020-07-05 03:44:52 UTC
Joker (HBO Go) - Arthur was right - you have to pay close attention to
this one, or you'll lose the details. For example, in the middle, there
was something that happened that didn't make any sense to me, but later
they provide the explanation for it, so it makes perfect sense.
Anyway, this is a tough watch, but a good origin story - this flick
definitely does sort of set it up so you can see how you get to from
this film to, say, the Joker we get in "The Dark Knight".
I completely disagree. The Joker is a criminal mastermind genius, whose
IQ rivals Batman's, and the idea that this sad sack loser somehow
becomes Batman's greatest nemesis is ridiculous. This would have been a
much better movie if it was completely unconnected to the Batman mythos.