Supernatural "Carry On" 11/19/2020 (spoilers)
2020-11-20 09:22:28 UTC

Without Chuck, there are fewer monsters. Sam has time to take Dean to a
pie festival.

The brothers have one last monster fight. A couple with two young sons
gets attacked by unnamed monsters in mime masks. The husband is killed;
the wife's tongue is cut out. The two children are taken.

Sam and Dean announce to the local cops that they are Agents Kripke and
Singer, hahahahahahahaha.

Dean recognizes it as one of their father's cases, and hauls out their
father's notebook, which we haven't seen for a very long time.

They kill the nest of monsters and rescue the boys. Jenny shows up, whom
I don't recall at all; Sam kills her.

During the fight, Dean is shoved against a menancing piece of rebar
sticking out from a wooden post holding up the barn. It has no reason to
be there.

Dean dies slowly. For once, he talks Sam out of resurrecting him and
just begs him to accept his death. He tells same he needs to hear him
say that he can let go of life.

Dean dies.

Dean really never got to live a life that hadn't been orchestrated by
Chuck. Fighting monsters with his brother was his life, and I guess the
lesson is he would have lived that life anyway. Dean died a hero's death.

We don't see Jack and Cass, but Heaven for Dean is no longer individual
cells. Everyone from Dean's life is nearby. Bobby receives him, having
been released from Heaven's prison. He tells Dean that, before Jack
went, he fixed Heaven as guided by Cass.

There are no angels.

A version of Baby is there, and Dean goes for a drive that lasts till
the end of Sam's life. Turning on the radio, of course "Wayward Son" is
playing, in the familiar version by Kansas.

Check out the comments, all about Sam and Dean anticipating the
Supernatural finale!

Back at the bunker, Sam answers one of Dean's cell phones (there never
has been an explanation for how they are always charged up) and goes off
on a case. I think he takes the fluffy dog.

Sam lives a long life and isn't killed by monsters. Baby has survived the
decades, mostly kept under a tarp. He has a son, whom he names Dean of
course. We don't see the woman he married; it's just an extra out of focus
in background. At the end, Sam's son Dean tells his father he can let go.

Dean's drive reaches its destination. He's reunited with Sam, once again
in his mid 30s. It's a bridge over a picturesque stream somewhere near
Vancouver.

End credits

Jensen and Jared say goodbye to the television audience, then the camera
pulls back to show us the entire crew standing on the bridge as well.
Robin Miller
2020-11-20 16:31:12 UTC
http://youtu.be/2X_2IdybTV0
[...]
Nice recap, thanks.

Medium, which ended back in 2011, had a similar ending, with the two
main characters, Allison and Joe, ending up in heaven together at the
end. Similar to Supernatural, he died much earlier in life, while she
aged throughout the final episode and died as an old woman. In heaven,
they were both their younger selves.

One question I had about the episode--why wasn't there a crowd at Dean's
funeral pyre? He and Sam were the stars of the hunters' world. They all
would have been there for the ceremony. I suppose the answer is Covid,
but at least bring in Canadian extras. This is the one thing that didn't
ring true for me in the episode. (Other issues, like where was everyone,
like their parents in heaven, were explained by Covid travel
restrictions, I assume.)

Another question: So did the people from the alternate-dimension earth,
like alt-Bobby, not come back when Jack restored the world? I thought at
least he would be at Dean's funeral. Maybe, since Dean met the "real"
Bobby in heaven, the writers didn't want alt-Bobby to also appear in the
episode.

--Robin
suzeeq
2020-11-20 16:42:58 UTC
Post by Robin Miller
[...]
I think it was meant to show a private moment between the brothers, Sam
sending Dean off.
Robin Miller
2020-11-20 17:18:37 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by Robin Miller
[...]
Well, I understand that, I just can't see that happening. Hunters always
went to other hunters' funerals in the show.

--Robin
suzeeq
2020-11-20 18:15:07 UTC
Post by Robin Miller
Post by suzeeq
Post by Robin Miller
[...]
As Adam said, the majority of the show was just Sam and Dean, none of
the other hunters.
Adam H. Kerman
2020-11-20 17:05:56 UTC
Post by Robin Miller
[...]
Wow. I watched Medium. Maybe I missed the last episode for I don't
remember that at all. Thanks.
Post by Robin Miller
One question I had about the episode--why wasn't there a crowd at Dean's
funeral pyre? He and Sam were the stars of the hunters' world. They all
would have been there for the ceremony. I suppose the answer is Covid,
but at least bring in Canadian extras. This is the one thing that didn't
ring true for me in the episode. (Other issues, like where was everyone,
like their parents in heaven, were explained by Covid travel
restrictions, I assume.)
I'm going to guess, yeah, it's cheaper, but mostly, artistic license. It
was intended to focus solely on Sam and Dean. Sam was going to go
through a period of extreme isolation and grief. They actually skipped
the part in which he came out of grief as he suddenly had the son.

I'm going to question why we ever saw well-attended funeral pyres on the
show. There is an extreme danger of the formation of an angry ghost. The
corpses should be burned as soon as possible without waiting for hunters
to gather from elsewhere in the country.
Post by Robin Miller
Another question: So did the people from the alternate-dimension earth,
like alt-Bobby, not come back when Jack restored the world? I thought at
least he would be at Dean's funeral. Maybe, since Dean met the "real"
Bobby in heaven, the writers didn't want alt-Bobby to also appear in the
episode.
Jack appears to have restored the one universe and the people who were
born into it, without anyone from any alternate universe.

The multiverse was simply a dropped plot point. Maybe every other
universe had its own Heaven and Hell. But Purgatory seemed to be
something in common among the multiverses.

It was never explained.

I don't think we are supposed to assume that Jack restored any other
universe or its people.
Robin Miller
2020-11-20 17:20:53 UTC
Post by Robin Miller
Another question: So did the people from the alternate-dimension earth,
like alt-Bobby, not come back when Jack restored the world? I thought at
least he would be at Dean's funeral. Maybe, since Dean met the "real"
Bobby in heaven, the writers didn't want alt-Bobby to also appear in the
episode.
Jack appears to have restored the one universe and the people who were
born into it, without anyone from any alternate universe.
The multiverse was simply a dropped plot point. Maybe every other
universe had its own Heaven and Hell. But Purgatory seemed to be
something in common among the multiverses.
It was never explained.
I don't think we are supposed to assume that Jack restored any other
universe or its people.
I agree with this last point, but I did wonder about it. I wish there
had been a line of dialog explaining it.

--Robin
Robin Miller
2020-11-20 18:37:19 UTC
Post by Robin Miller
[...]
Here's an article:

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/medium-last-episode-19081/

And the last three minutes (although I remember it ending with Allison
and Joe walking on an endless beach, so maybe this isn't everything):

--Robin
Robin Miller
2020-11-21 00:37:16 UTC
Post by Robin Miller
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Robin Miller
[...]
http://youtu.be/p-ohBAlv9l4
--Robin
Actually, scrap the "endless beach" scene reference. That was from
_another_ show that ended this way, Saving Hope:

https://theworldgoespop.com/2017/08/04/saving-hope-series-finale-hope-never-dies-recap/

--Robin
Alane Sue
2020-11-21 03:14:35 UTC
Post by Robin Miller
Nice recap, thanks.
Medium, which ended back in 2011, had a similar ending, with the two
main characters, Allison and Joe, ending up in heaven together at the
end. Similar to Supernatural, he died much earlier in life, while she
aged throughout the final episode and died as an old woman. In heaven,
they were both their younger selves.
I immediately thought of the finale for "Medium," too. And, I also
remembered the finale for "Lost," which also featured people dying at
various points in the timeline and ultimately being reunited in the
afterlife.
Robin Miller
2020-11-21 05:06:26 UTC
Post by Alane Sue
Post by Robin Miller
Nice recap, thanks.
Medium, which ended back in 2011, had a similar ending, with the two
main characters, Allison and Joe, ending up in heaven together at the
end. Similar to Supernatural, he died much earlier in life, while she
aged throughout the final episode and died as an old woman. In heaven,
they were both their younger selves.
I immediately thought of the finale for "Medium," too. And, I also
remembered the finale for "Lost," which also featured people dying at
various points in the timeline and ultimately being reunited in the
afterlife.
I really liked Medium and all of the actors. Thinking of the show again
made me realize that, while they're all pretty active, I really haven't
seen most of the actors since the show ended. Oddly, with the exception
of Sofia Vassilieva, who has appeared in single episodes of occasional
shows I watch.

--Robin
Jim G.
2020-11-24 01:19:05 UTC
Without Chuck, there are fewer monsters. Sam has time to take Dean to a
pie festival.
The brothers have one last monster fight. A couple with two young sons
gets attacked by unnamed monsters in mime masks. The husband is killed;
the wife's tongue is cut out. The two children are taken.
Sam and Dean announce to the local cops that they are Agents Kripke and
Singer, hahahahahahahaha.
That was great, and a fitting set of final fake IDs.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Dean recognizes it as one of their father's cases, and hauls out their
father's notebook, which we haven't seen for a very long time.
They kill the nest of monsters and rescue the boys. Jenny shows up, whom
I don't recall at all; Sam kills her.
I didn't remember her, either, but I've since learned that she was in an
episode from late in season one.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
During the fight, Dean is shoved against a menancing piece of rebar
sticking out from a wooden post holding up the barn. It has no reason to
be there.
Chekhov's rebar!
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Dean dies slowly. For once, he talks Sam out of resurrecting him and
just begs him to accept his death. He tells same he needs to hear him
say that he can let go of life.
Dean dies.
Dean really never got to live a life that hadn't been orchestrated by
Chuck. Fighting monsters with his brother was his life, and I guess the
lesson is he would have lived that life anyway. Dean died a hero's death.
We don't see Jack and Cass, but Heaven for Dean is no longer individual
cells. Everyone from Dean's life is nearby. Bobby receives him, having
been released from Heaven's prison. He tells Dean that, before Jack
went, he fixed Heaven as guided by Cass.
I'm assuming that the Asian pr0n is topnotch.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
There are no angels.
A version of Baby is there, and Dean goes for a drive that lasts till
the end of Sam's life. Turning on the radio, of course "Wayward Son" is
playing, in the familiar version by Kansas.
http://youtu.be/2X_2IdybTV0
Check out the comments, all about Sam and Dean anticipating the
Supernatural finale!
Back at the bunker, Sam answers one of Dean's cell phones
Dean's OTHER other cellphone...one of the many callbacks in this one.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
(there never
has been an explanation for how they are always charged up) and goes off
on a case. I think he takes the fluffy dog.
Sam lives a long life and isn't killed by monsters. Baby has survived the
decades, mostly kept under a tarp. He has a son, whom he names Dean of
course. We don't see the woman he married; it's just an extra out of focus
in background. At the end, Sam's son Dean tells his father he can let go.
Dean's drive reaches its destination. He's reunited with Sam, once again
in his mid 30s. It's a bridge over a picturesque stream somewhere near
Vancouver.
End credits
Jensen and Jared say goodbye to the television audience, then the camera
pulls back to show us the entire crew standing on the bridge as well.
I guess a lot of folks were whining that Cass and Jack were left out of
the finale, especially after the ridiculous Destiel fan service the week
before. But for my money, it was entirely appropriate that the show went
out with the focus on the same three characters who brought it in: Dean,
Sam...and Baby.
"I'm really glad we're at this place in our relationship where we can
dig up graves together without having to talk." -- Major Lillywhite, iZOMBIE
suzeeq
Yep. I agree.
Jim G.
2020-11-25 01:56:45 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
I figure that the haters can just pretend that the penultimate episode
was the actual finale since the writers did a nice job with that one, too.
BTR1701
2020-11-29 07:31:35 UTC
Without Chuck, there are fewer monsters. Sam has time to take Dean to a
pie festival.
I've never actually been to such a magnificent event, but someday I hope
to.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
A version of Baby is there, and Dean goes for a drive that lasts till
the end of Sam's life. Turning on the radio, of course "Wayward Son" is
playing, in the familiar version by Kansas.
http://youtu.be/2X_2IdybTV0
Check out the comments, all about Sam and Dean anticipating the
Supernatural finale!
Trivia:

The song was released November 19, 1976.

The SUPERNATURAL finale was November 19, 2020.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Back at the bunker, Sam answers one of Dean's cell phones (there never
has been an explanation for how they are always charged up) and goes off
on a case. I think he takes the fluffy dog.
He better have since he never came back to the bunker. There may be some
fluffy bones in a corner somewhere.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Dean's drive reaches its destination. He's reunited with Sam, once again
in his mid 30s. It's a bridge over a picturesque stream somewhere near
Vancouver.
End credits
Jensen and Jared say goodbye to the television audience, then the camera
pulls back to show us the entire crew standing on the bridge as well.
Great final episode. Put a nice bow on it.

Hard to imagine how long this show has been on. I started watching it
when I was just a rookie. Now I'm retired.

It's okay. You can go...
Robin Miller
2020-11-29 15:40:52 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Dean's drive reaches its destination. He's reunited with Sam, once again
in his mid 30s. It's a bridge over a picturesque stream somewhere near
Vancouver.
End credits
Jensen and Jared say goodbye to the television audience, then the camera
pulls back to show us the entire crew standing on the bridge as well.
Great final episode. Put a nice bow on it.
Hard to imagine how long this show has been on. I started watching it
when I was just a rookie. Now I'm retired.
It's okay. You can go...
I took off the season pass from my DVR last night. <sigh>

--Robin