What Did You Watch? 2021-11-23 (Tuesday)
2021-11-24 09:30:41 UTC

THE REAL HOUSEWIVES ULTIMATE GIRLS TRIP:
"When Wives Collide". Several women from the different "Real
Housewives" shows share a house in the Caribean. What could go wrong?

Let's go Brandon!
anim8rfsk
2021-11-24 14:38:24 UTC
Hey, thanks for asking!

DA FLASH (covered separately)

LA BREA S01E09 “father and son“
Watched it, erased it.
What happened to the carcass of that sabertooth that they hit with the
jeep? Did it not occur to anybody to saw off a haunch?
We have a cow! We can make ice cream!
Why is pothead surprised the cow is from the future?
Is anybody else hoping that the kids don’t make it to the portal in time
and disappear forever?
How stupid is the kid and how big a slut is his mother that he thinks their
affair started there in the past given that the newest of her many many
many many many lovers got there like 16 hours ago?

THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN “the secret of Bigfoot”
Just about what you’d expect. This time he outruns an atomic bomb while
carrying Stephanie Powers with six seconds on the clock.

FIRE WITH FIRE (2012) THE NETFLIX
Recommended by Ian based on a recommendation by obvious
Quoting myself to obvious:
“Just finished FIRE WITH FIRE.
Enjoyable flick, thanks for the recommend.
Lots of little stuff I liked, like the Heroes best friend, the black guy
who ended up in the hospital, also played the heroes best friend on Las
Vegas. And the blonde cop that was helping Bruce Willis played Bruce
Willis‘s daughter on friends.”

What could have just been another episode of Law & Order somehow got turned
into a pretty good little movie in no small part thanks to the casting. How
come it took us a whole decade to find this?

I am watching the season of S.H.I.E.L.D. I missed, the one with the
framework, but I’m finding it impossible to binge. It needs a breather
between episodes. Ghost Rider was annoying at first but when he started
kicking some serious ass he turns pretty cool.
Post by Ubiquitous
—> Let’’ go Brandon!

2021-11-24 16:06:29 UTC
Hey, thanks for asking!
DA FLASH (covered separately)
I will get to this soon, possibly tonight.
Post by anim8rfsk
LA BREA S01E09 “father and son“
I have no idea if I will ever get back to this... Probably never.
Post by anim8rfsk
FIRE WITH FIRE (2012) THE NETFLIX
Recommended by Ian based on a recommendation by obvious
It was Obveeus' highest recommendation, EVER!! ;)
Post by anim8rfsk
“Just finished FIRE WITH FIRE.
Enjoyable flick, thanks for the recommend.
Lots of little stuff I liked, like the Heroes best friend, the black guy
who ended up in the hospital, also played the heroes best friend on Las
Vegas. And the blonde cop that was helping Bruce Willis played Bruce
Willis‘s daughter on friends.”
And Eric Winter from THE NOOKIE also had a promient supporting role.
Post by anim8rfsk
What could have just been another episode of Law & Order
Ha!
Post by anim8rfsk
somehow got turned
into a pretty good little movie in no small part thanks to the casting. How
come it took us a whole decade to find this?
Critics didn't like it's violence! ;)
2021-11-25 23:52:41 UTC
Hey, thanks for asking!
DA FLASH (covered separately)
I will get to this soon, possibly tonight.
You’re already behind on part three!
LA BREA S01E09 “father and son“
I have no idea if I will ever get back to this... Probably never.
Yeah, it seems pointless. Usually you give up on the show when it’s not
renewed. In this case I give up because it was renewed so I know they
aren’t going to solve anything.
Post by anim8rfsk
“Just finished FIRE WITH FIRE.
Enjoyable flick, thanks for the recommend.
Lots of little stuff I liked, like the Heroes best friend, the black guy
who ended up in the hospital, also played the heroes best friend on Las
Vegas. And the blonde cop that was helping Bruce Willis played Bruce
Willis‘s daughter on friends.”
And Eric Winter from THE NOOKIE also had a promient supporting role.
I didn’t even recognize him.

And Dr. Doom from CHARMED betrayed them.
Post by anim8rfsk
somehow got turned
into a pretty good little movie in no small part thanks to the casting. How
come it took us a whole decade to find this?
Critics didn't like it's violence! ;)
That was my favorite part. Although it certainly could’ve benefited from
some nudity.

2021-11-26 00:27:53 UTC
In article
Post by anim8rfsk
"Just finished FIRE WITH FIRE.
Enjoyable flick, thanks for the recommend. Lots of little stuff I liked,
like the Heroes best friend, the black guy who ended up in the hospital,
also played the heroes best friend on Las Vegas. And the blonde cop that
was helping Bruce Willis played Bruce Willis's daughter on friends."
She wasn't a cop. She was the A.D.A.
Post by anim8rfsk
somehow got turned into a pretty good little movie in no small part
thanks to the casting. How come it took us a whole decade to find this?
Critics didn't like it's violence! ;)
That was my favorite part. Although it certainly could've benefited from
some nudity.
Maybe that cute blonde prosecutor but not Rosario Dawson. I don't need
to see her naked. Never could figure out why people think she has such
appeal.

I watched it last night and there was some real big stoopid in it. Like
the fact that Studly Firefighter only went into WitSec for the duration
of the trial; that after he testified, he was going to go back to
California (with his new Marshal fuck-toy in tow-- no explanation how
that was supposed to happen-- was she just gonna quit the Marshals?) and
resume his old life.

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

If you go into WitSec, you go in forever. Rest of your life kinda thing.
There's no point in expending all those resources to build a new life
for someone only for a few weeks or months. And if the person on trial
is bad enough to require WitSec for the witnesses against him, then the
threat doesn't disappear upon conviction. He can still send people after
you from inside prison, a fact that the movie itself highlighted at one
point.

I also thought it was funny how Bruce Willis-- who is somehow both a
detective and a lieutenant at the same time-- had pictures of Studly
Firefighter's fuck-toy in his file and the picture was of her standing
by the car watching Studly Firefighter target shoot in Louisiana. Where
they were alone in the middle of the swamp. With no one around. So who
took the picture? And how did Bruce Willis get it all the way out in
California?

And I want to know what was in those two little spray bottles that
Studly Firefighter sprayed up and down the stairs of that building at
the end. Not only did a few squirts manage to light up the whole
building, they caused the building to repeatedly explode as well. That's
some real potent stuff!
Ian J. Ball
2021-11-26 01:29:23 UTC
In article
Post by anim8rfsk
somehow got turned into a pretty good little movie in no small part
thanks to the casting. How come it took us a whole decade to find this?
Critics didn't like it's violence! ;)
That was my favorite part. Although it certainly could've benefited from
some nudity.
Maybe that cute blonde prosecutor but not Rosario Dawson. I don't need
to see her naked. Never could figure out why people think she has such
appeal.
I watched it last night and there was some real big stoopid in it.
But it was Obveeus' highest recommendation *ever*!!!1!!11!!
2021-11-26 02:15:19 UTC
In article
Post by anim8rfsk
"Just finished FIRE WITH FIRE.
Enjoyable flick, thanks for the recommend. Lots of little stuff I liked,
like the Heroes best friend, the black guy who ended up in the hospital,
also played the heroes best friend on Las Vegas. And the blonde cop that
was helping Bruce Willis played Bruce Willis's daughter on friends."
She wasn't a cop. She was the A.D.A.
Thanks. That’s what I assumed at the beginning of the movie but since she
seem to work full-time in the same room with Bruce I thought she must be a
cop.
Post by anim8rfsk
somehow got turned into a pretty good little movie in no small part
thanks to the casting. How come it took us a whole decade to find this?
Critics didn't like it's violence! ;)
That was my favorite part. Although it certainly could've benefited from
some nudity.
Maybe that cute blonde prosecutor but not Rosario Dawson. I don't need
to see her naked. Never could figure out why people think she has such
appeal.
I figure it’s best to see her naked while she’s young and make my own
decision.
Post by BTR1701
I watched it last night and there was some real big stoopid in it.
Definitely. And yet it’s still seem to work.
But it was Obveeus’ highest recommendation *ever*!!!1!!11!!
I know!
Post by BTR1701
Like
the fact that Studly Firefighter only went into WitSec for the duration
of the trial; that after he testified, he was going to go back to
California (with his new Marshal fuck-toy in tow-- no explanation how
that was supposed to happen-- was she just gonna quit the Marshals?) and
resume his old life.
That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.
Much less that he apparently lived in a storage locker?
Post by BTR1701
If you go into WitSec, you go in forever. Rest of your life kinda thing.
There's no point in expending all those resources to build a new life
for someone only for a few weeks or months. And if the person on trial
is bad enough to require WitSec for the witnesses against him, then the
threat doesn't disappear upon conviction. He can still send people after
you from inside prison, a fact that the movie itself highlighted at one
point.
My big objection was that he didn’t take the time to tell anybody about the
threats D’Onofrio had made. Especially given all the people he named!
Post by BTR1701
I also thought it was funny how Bruce Willis—who is somehow both a
detective and a lieutenant at the same time— had pictures of Studly
Firefighter's fuck-toy in his file and the picture was of her standing
by the car watching Studly Firefighter target shoot in Louisiana. Where
they were alone in the middle of the swamp. With no one around. So who
took the picture? And how did Bruce Willis get it all the way out in
California?
I love it when they do that. My favorite example is Batman the movie 1966.
Early on Conditioner Gordon’s computer shows them the four super criminals
currently at large. The TV displays them all posing in Miss Kitka’s (A
charming acronym) borrowed penthouse apartment. Something we wouldn’t see
until halfway through the film!
Post by BTR1701
And I want to know what was in those two little spray bottles that
Studly Firefighter sprayed up and down the stairs of that building at
the end. Not only did a few squirts manage to light up the whole
building, they caused the building to repeatedly explode as well. That's
some real potent stuff!
That was so over the top I loved it. Firefighters are the greatest
arsonists in the world! He also was an expert at all the electronics and
structures but then he announced that he was earlier in the film so I just
took it on face value.

2021-11-26 00:38:16 UTC
Hey, thanks for asking!
DA FLASH (covered separately)
I will get to this soon, possibly tonight.
You’re already behind on part three!
Probably not getting to it tonight either - with "Hawkeye" out of the
way, I think I am now going to prioritize "Hanna" over the next 3 days.
2021-11-24 18:02:47 UTC
Hey, thanks for asking!
DA FLASH (covered separately)
LA BREA S01E09 “father and son“
Saved for later.
Post by anim8rfsk
I am watching the season of S.H.I.E.L.D. I missed, the one with the
framework, but I’m finding it impossible to binge. It needs a breather
between episodes. Ghost Rider was annoying at first but when he started
kicking some serious ass he turns pretty cool.
You like watching Ghost Rider Terminate people?

This will be a quick two-day catch up. I watched:

The Equalizer - "Shooter" - Once again the city is in trouble so they
raise the Bat Signal, I mean Equalizer signal, and ask McCaul for help
dealing with a psycho sniper. This was a pretty good one.

4400 - "The Way We Were" - The 7, I mean 4400, are finally released,
well most of them. But there's a sinister looking government agency
still keeping an eye on them.

The Flash - "Armageddon, Part 3" - Apparently there's a thread on this I
need to locate.

The Madam of Purity Falls (LMN) Lifetime movie about a high school
teenager (they make a point to say several times he's 18) who moves next
door to a woman who runs a prostitution ring made up of high school
boys. This teen has Marvel superhero abs so she immediately sets her
sights on adding him to her stable. He's reluctant at first, but his
family needs the money so he agrees. But this being a lifetime movie,
things obviously escalate to the point of murder and the usual Lifetime
movie wackiness ensues.

Escape from Pretoria (Netflix rental) 2020 biopic drama starring Daniel
Radcliffe and Daniel Webber as two South Africans in the 70s who get
arrested and sent to prison for opposing the apartheid government.
Radcliffe's character is mechanically inclined and immediately starts
plotting their escape. His plan is to make keys for all the different
locks in the prison. He does this just by looking at the keys then from
memory, proceeds to manufacture keys out of wood. It's an OK escape
from prison movie. And a bit impressive considering it's based on a
true story.

Encanto (theatrical) New Disney animated musical. It's about a young
woman who grows up in a magical family where everyone has a unique
magical ability, except for her. She has to save the day when the magic
begins to fade. I did not care for this. I guess technically, maybe it
wasn't bad. But this was not a Pixar movie, and you could feel the lack
of quality difference. First, I didn't care for the music. That's the
kiss of death for a musical. There was one, maybe two songs that were
OK. The rest fell flat. And another thing that really bugged me, and
maybe little kids wouldn't notice or care, but I could not tell when
this movie was supposed to be taking place. Early on it seemed like it
could be set in the 19th or even 18th century. But then during some of
the songs, or jokes, there would be modern touches. At one point there
was even a reference to a TV show. That sort of thing works when it's
Robin Williams playing a genie in Aladdin, but here it just took me out
of the movie.

And I went in expecting a movie about a hero going on a journey to save
the day. But this movie had no hero's journey. And to the degree the
characters grew from their experience and became better people, I have
no idea *why*. It happened because the movie says it happened, not
because of any on screen experience that I saw. Sure stuff happened,
but there was no explanation connecting the character's growth to what
was happening on screen or why it was happening. For example, there was
never any on screen explanation as to why the magic started to fade or
come back, yet the characters on screen acted as if there was. Again,
maybe it would go over a kid's head, but I was paying attention. This
was just full of sloppy, lazy writing, and not a single memorable song.

To put this in contrast, there was a short about 5 minutes long,
traditional animated movie that ran first. It was about some wild
raccoons (I think) and had no dialogue. Yet, that movie actually showed
character development, and you could trace how and why the raccoons were
doing what they were doing, and growing as individuals, without any
dialogue. Now that is filmmaking.
Ian J. Ball
2021-11-24 19:02:21 UTC
The Flash - "Armageddon, Part 3" - Apparently there's a thread on this
I need to locate.
"Armageddon, Part 2" is the one that aired yesterday.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
The Madam of Purity Falls (LMN) Lifetime movie about a high school
teenager (they make a point to say several times he's 18) who moves
next door to a woman who runs a prostitution ring made up of high
school boys. This teen has Marvel superhero abs so she immediately
sets her sights on adding him to her stable. He's reluctant at first,
but his family needs the money so he agrees. But this being a lifetime
movie, things obviously escalate to the point of murder and the usual
Lifetime movie wackiness ensues.
You forgot to mention it's an older Olivia d'Abo who plays the madam,
while Kristanna Loken plays the mom!!
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Encanto (theatrical) New Disney animated musical.
I would never have watched this in the first place, but your
(negative!) review definitely guarantees that I never will!
2021-11-24 20:07:20 UTC
The Flash - "Armageddon, Part 3" - Apparently there's a thread on this
I need to locate.
"Armageddon, Part 2" is the one that aired yesterday.
Fine. You get cranberry sauce flavored ice cream. Shaped like you just
dumped it intact out of the can.
Encanto (theatrical) New Disney animated musical.
I would never have watched this in the first place, but your
(negative!) review definitely guarantees that I never will!
It’s amazing that they can’t even make an appealing ad for this mess. How
can you not find 30 seconds worth watching?
2021-11-24 20:05:08 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
I am watching the season of S.H.I.E.L.D. I missed, the one with the
framework, but I’m finding it impossible to binge. It needs a breather
between episodes. Ghost Rider was annoying at first but when he started
kicking some serious ass he turns pretty cool.
You like watching Ghost Rider Terminate people?
I liked it when the cocky ghost who had been the big bad up till then
stepped up to him like he was gonna be easy pickings and he vanquished her
effortlessly.

And I liked it when the khaki inhuman who is the new head of shield stepped
up to him like he was gonna be easy pickings and he beat the pelikan out of
the guy.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
The Flash - "Armageddon, Part 3" - Apparently there's a thread on this I
need to locate.
Might want to start with the thread for part two first. :-)
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
I am annoyed beyond belief by the ads where the announcer wildly over
pronounces ENCANTO the way BTR hates newscasters with Spanish surnames that
don’t have an accent except when they use their name and then they turn it
up to 11 for just that word.

anim8rfsk
2021-11-24 22:53:26 UTC
In article
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
http://youtu.be/nWMp_z7Jnxw
LOL

If only he’d explained to them that nuclear power didn’t have the oomph to
travel from Arizona to Los Angeles that would be perfect.

2021-11-24 22:55:25 UTC
In article
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
I know several spanish speaking people who don't have any accent when
speaking english, but do use the proper pronunciation/accent in spanish.
anim8rfsk
2021-11-25 00:47:02 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by BTR1701
In article
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
But do you know anybody that swings wildly back-and-forth when saying a
Spanish word in English?

2021-11-25 01:24:27 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by BTR1701
In article
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
You mean they don't speak the spanish word properly? I'm talking about
people using a spanish word while speaking english, but it's spoken
correctly, not as a non-native speaker might say it.
anim8rfsk
2021-11-25 02:32:20 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by suzeeq
Post by BTR1701
In article
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
I don’t know anyone that does that in real life.
You don't hang out with the right people....
Dimensional Traveler
2021-11-25 16:35:53 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by suzeeq
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by suzeeq
Post by BTR1701
In article
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
Well, this IS Anim.... :D
dirty old man.
suzeeq
2021-11-25 16:44:35 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by suzeeq
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by suzeeq
Post by BTR1701
In article
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
Well, this IS Anim....  :D
I Know!
Dimensional Traveler
2021-11-25 18:31:22 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by suzeeq
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by suzeeq
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by suzeeq
I know several spanish speaking people who don't have any accent when
speaking english, but do use the proper pronunciation/accent in spanish.
But do you know anybody that swings wildly back-and-forth when saying a
Spanish word in English?
You mean they don't speak the spanish word properly? I'm talking about
people using a spanish word while speaking english, but it's spoken
correctly, not as a non-native speaker might say it.
I don’t know anyone that does that in real life.
You don't hang out with the right people....
Well, this IS Anim....  :D
I Know!
So why are you expecting him to even know who the right people are to
hang out with?
dirty old man.
suzeeq
I wasn't expecting him to.
BTR1701
2021-11-25 03:15:27 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by BTR1701
In article
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
It's ridiculous. They never do it in reverse. If you watch the news o
Univision or Telemundo, their reporters don't suddenly adopt a bland America
accent when saying the names of places like New York. They just say "Nuev
York" in Spanish.
Ian J. Ball
2021-11-24 16:27:07 UTC
After seeing my brother out of town, and going in for a work
thing/doing some work, I got to my first "half day" of Thanksgiving
Break in the afternoon. This allowed me to start tackling some movies!!:

soaps: DOOL - Belle manages to get Doug home for Julie! - How long is
it going to be before Doug "blows the whistle" on The Devil!! Steve
(Black Patch!!) and Kayla semi-interrogate "Demon Marlena", and don't
believe a word of what she is peddling! Olivia, aka. "Big Mama" (Marla
Gibbs!!), and Paulina (Jackee!!) have a heart-to-heart that starts
accusatorially, but ends comfortingly. Other stuff: In bed, Johnny
tries to convince Chanel to go to Italy with him, and she sneaks home
to get some clothes when she is caught by Paulina; and Allie and Tripp
take holiday cookies to everyone.
GH - Jesus! - The show has also fired Steve Burton as Jason Morgan
the same day they fired Ingo R. as Jax! What a bunch of assholes! So
now I guess we are to assume that Jason was buried under all of the
rubble of the cave-in... >:/ Meanwhile, Sonny conforts Gladys!! over
the baby situation. Brando visits the baby in the NICU. Brook Lynn and
Chase cut Maxie in on what they have done (and why). Nina tries to get
Valentin to go easy on Brook Lynn. And on Cassidine Island, they find
no sign of Jason (as he's just been fired!!).

Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rigns (Disney+) - Already covered
extensively by Arthur, and BTR.
As a "fantasy" picture, this was all right. But while watching it, I
couldn't shake the feeling that they really could have told this story
in about half the time it took them.
Amazingly, Aquafina was actually not annoying in this, which was a
pleasant surprise.
Why the hell was Wong (Benedict Wong) in this?!
I have no idea what either the mid- or the post-credits scenes are
supposed to mean... Hey, look! It's "old Banner", and the incredibly
annoying Cap'n Marvel (though at least her hair is grown out again)!

Love Hard (Netflix) - This was actually a mildly pleasant surprise.
This is a straight rom-com (with a bit of a raunchiness), but it's nice
to be reminded that Nina Dobrev actually can act, and Jimmy O. Yang is
pretty good in this... Meanwhile, I still want to know if Darren Barnet
is a distant cousin of mine (from what I can tell, the answer appears
to be "no"...).

Recorded for later: The Flash, and "Gingerbreak Miracle" (a X-Mas flick
with Merritt Patterson, off Hallmark).