What Did You Watch? 2019-07-09 (Tuesday)
2019-07-10 08:30:41 UTC

TOUR DE FRANCE:
Stage 4.

DIFF'RENT STROKES:
"It's My Party and I'll Cry if I Want To". Mr D and the fake wife try
to stop Sam from whining ob his friend's Rambo birthday party by hiring
a "celebrity" I never heard of (Pirate Pete) to host his party, only
for the whiny brat to leave his party b/c no one is paying attention to
him.

DIFF'RENT STROKES:
"Bulimia". In the VSE, when massive quantities of food disappear,
Arnold and Sam discover that Kimberly is suffering from bulimia.

THE JEFFERSONS:
"Honeymoon Hotel". Tom and Helen try to make the best of a hotel where
they've chosen to celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary.

THE JEFFERSONS:
"Blood and Money". George pays Ralph to donate blood in his name---and
becomes a hero when the blood saves a life.

Watching Democrats come up with schemes to "catch Trump" is like
watching Wile E. Coyote trying to catch Road Runner.
Arthur Lipscomb
2019-07-10 14:34:09 UTC

Animal Kingdom - "Know Thy Enemy" - Jay plots his latest heist.
Presumably he's going to rob his new girlfriend then dump her. He's
already on the cops radar. If he does things like that it won't take
long for them to put 2 and 2 together.

Aziz Anzari Right Now (Netflix streaming) - Pretty good low key comedy
special. I think with Aziz you either like him or you don't. I like him.

The Blackcoat's Daughter (Netflix rental) - I don't even know where to
begin with this mess of a movie. It stars Emma Roberts and Kiernan
Shipka as two girls at a boarding school who are left alone when their
parents don't show up during a school break. What happens next is
anyone's guess. I know what I more or less saw happen, and to say it
might be considered a spoiler since that's not what's written on the
Netflix plot summary. Towards the middle of the movie I couldn't follow
what was happening so I started to read the Wikipedia summary and for
the first time learned the movie wasn't being told in a linear fashion.
The movie was such a mess I never even realized there were time jumps.
Regardless, this was a true Turkey and should be avoided.
anim8rfsk
2019-07-10 15:30:28 UTC
The Blackcoat's Daughter (Netflix rental) - I don't even know where to
begin with this mess of a movie. It stars Emma Roberts and Kiernan
Shipka as two girls at a boarding school who are left alone when their
parents don't show up during a school break. What happens next is
anyone's guess. I know what I more or less saw happen, and to say it
might be considered a spoiler since that's not what's written on the
Netflix plot summary. Towards the middle of the movie I couldn't follow
what was happening so I started to read the Wikipedia summary and for
the first time learned the movie wasn't being told in a linear fashion.
The movie was such a mess I never even realized there were time jumps.
Regardless, this was a true Turkey and should be avoided.
What was the last good movie you saw that had Emma Roberts in it?

Still, it has Lauren Holly, and that should be enough for Ian to watch it.

Va gur npnqrzl qbezvgbel, Xng oehgnyyl fgnof gur ahaf gb qrngu orsber
qrpncvgngvat gurz naq cynpvat gurve frirerq urnqf va cvyybjpnfrf.

It's the feel good movie of the summer!

Xng cebprrqf gb fynfu Ovyy'f guebng orsber seramvrqyl fgnoovat Yvaqn guebhtu
gur pne frng zhygvcyr gvzrf. Fur gura qrpncvgngrf gurz, cynpvat gurve urnqf
va ure fhvgpnfr, naq pneevrf gurz vagb gur fuhggrerq npnqrzl.

Sounds like Emma Roberts in real life.

But I'm confused. Jung, guvf vf byqre Xng, naq gurl punatrq bhg npgerffrf ba
hf?
2019-07-11 03:15:43 UTC
The Blackcoat's Daughter (Netflix rental) - I don't even know where to
begin with this mess of a movie. It stars Emma Roberts and Kiernan
Shipka as two girls at a boarding school who are left alone when their
parents don't show up during a school break. What happens next is
anyone's guess. I know what I more or less saw happen, and to say it
might be considered a spoiler since that's not what's written on the
Netflix plot summary. Towards the middle of the movie I couldn't follow
what was happening so I started to read the Wikipedia summary and for
the first time learned the movie wasn't being told in a linear fashion.
The movie was such a mess I never even realized there were time jumps.
Regardless, this was a true Turkey and should be avoided.
What was the last good movie you saw that had Emma Roberts in it?
I had to check her Wikipedia page. She has been in a *lot* of movies.
I had no idea. And out of her many, many movies, I saw one I actually
liked. Scream 4. So it's been a while...
Post by anim8rfsk
Still, it has Lauren Holly, and that should be enough for Ian to watch it.
Va gur npnqrzl qbezvgbel, Xng oehgnyyl fgnof gur ahaf gb qrngu orsber
qrpncvgngvat gurz naq cynpvat gurve frirerq urnqf va cvyybjpnfrf.
It's the feel good movie of the summer!
Xng cebprrqf gb fynfu Ovyy'f guebng orsber seramvrqyl fgnoovat Yvaqn guebhtu
gur pne frng zhygvcyr gvzrf. Fur gura qrpncvgngrf gurz, cynpvat gurve urnqf
va ure fhvgpnfr, naq pneevrf gurz vagb gur fuhggrerq npnqrzl.
Sounds like Emma Roberts in real life.
But I'm confused. Jung, guvf vf byqre Xng, naq gurl punatrq bhg npgerffrf ba
hf?
If they did, I didn't notice. I guess it has something to do with the
jumping around in time. But I wasn't even half trying to pay attention
by the end of it.

I rewatched the first few minutes with the director's commentary. The
first scene has one of the girls in an office talking to someone. The
director spends the entire scene patting himself on the back because the
scene had the girl sitting next to an empty chair. Seriously, he went on
at length about the artistry of having her sit next to an empty chair.

The very next scene shows the girl going to get her picture taken. Now,
I did not see anything out of the ordinary about what I thought was a
mundane scene. But on the commentary the director immediately refers to
it as a "dream sequence" then starts to talk about David Lynch and "Twin
Peaks" as being his influences. That's when I stopped the movie and
removed the disc.
anim8rfsk
2019-07-11 04:25:47 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
Yikes. Okay, I'm going to make a prediction, and then go check IMDb. I
predict that the director is wearing at least two of three hats - director,
producer, writer. That's usually where you run into this sort of thing, where
the same guy has too many jobs, and there's no one to tell him his in-jokes
aren't working.

Launching the IMDb ...

Yep, writer/director.
2019-07-10 15:13:52 UTC
My last super-long workday of the summer, so just:

Stranger Things (Netflix) - "The Flayed" (ep. #2.5). I thought this
episode was really good - we're starting to get some payoffs here.
Hopper and Joyce discover a Russian (satellite?) base on one of the
farms, and take the Russian scientist, Alexei, hostage during a run in
with the "Russian terminator" dude (I *love* how the Russian terminator
dude aped "Rambo" in a scene here! ;> ) - they take off with the
scientist (with the "terminator" in pursuit), eventually looking up the
"conspiracy nut", Murray (Brett Gelman) - I'd forgotten about this guy!!
Nancy Wheeler reassembles the group, incl. Jonathan Byers, after she
witnesses that Mrs. Driscoll has been "podded". But when they go back
to retrieve Driscoll to find the Mind Flayer, Nancy and Jonathan are
attacked by Tom Holloway (Michael Park) and Bruce Lowe (Jake Busey)
whom Nancy and Jonathan have to "kill", only to see them "disintegrate"
into a Negaverse "beast".
And Steve, Dustin, Robin (Maya Hawke) and Erica (Lucas' little
sister), are taken by the "elevator" to the underground bunker/lab,
where they eventually discover what's going on - that the idiot
Russians are trying to reopen the "rift".
Just 3 more episodes to go!

Recorded for later: Days of Our Lives, Blood & Treasure, and The Hundred[sic].
2019-07-10 16:15:50 UTC
[...]
I watched "A Hundred(sic) Days" on the Stargate SGI-AHD(s)
Stargate Back Side SBS report elsewhere.
Jim G.
2019-07-11 05:25:40 UTC
BLOOD & TREASURE / 1x08 / The Shadow of Projekt Athena

[Danny and Lexi seek out a famed Nazi hunter whose research leads them
to Montreal, where they suspect that the last of the Nazis who escaped
with Cleopatra may still be alive and in hiding. Also, tensions between
Gwen and Fabi come to a head.]

The absence of Chuck is getting annoying. Beyond that, this one didn't
really advance the story or reveal any new info other than the fact that
it was Lexi's mom, not her dad, who'd worked with Fabi's group in the
past. And Fabi's dead, taken out in Canadia by the son of a Nazi. That's
sort of a bummer, both in terms of his character being interesting and
the actor being more talented than the leads. And finally, there
continues to be zero chemistry between those same two leads, made worse
by the fact that both of them act as if they've never even done a
kissing scene before. They're fine individually, but when they're a
"couple," it's almost cringeworthy.

On a housekeeping note, someone apparently decided to renumber most of
the episodes because why not? And it has created some logistical
headaches since TVDB now reflects this new numbering system, but not
everyone else pulls their data from TVDB has made the switch yet. The
first two episodes that were aired back-to-back were originally 1x01 and
1x02, but now they're a combined 1x01. Meaning that 1x03 is now 1x02 and
so on, which is why I'm ultimately listing both last week's episode and
this week's as 1x08. It's stupid, especially since the first two outings
were initially represented as being back-to-back episodes by the network
pinheads.

Grade: C+
"She mustn't kill Aaron. I mean it. I hate to be strict but she really
mustn't kill anyone." -- Carolyn Martens, KILLING EVE
Ian J. Ball
2019-07-12 14:41:13 UTC
Post by Jim G.
BLOOD & TREASURE / 1x08 / The Shadow of Projekt Athena
[Danny and Lexi seek out a famed Nazi hunter whose research leads them
to Montreal, where they suspect that the last of the Nazis who escaped
with Cleopatra may still be alive and in hiding. Also, tensions between
Gwen and Fabi come to a head.]
[snip]
On a housekeeping note, someone apparently decided to renumber most of
the episodes because why not? And it has created some logistical
headaches since TVDB now reflects this new numbering system, but not
everyone else pulls their data from TVDB has made the switch yet. The
first two episodes that were aired back-to-back were originally 1x01
and 1x02, but now they're a combined 1x01. Meaning that 1x03 is now
1x02 and so on, which is why I'm ultimately listing both last week's
episode and this week's as 1x08. It's stupid, especially since the
first two outings were initially represented as being back-to-back
episodes by the network pinheads.
Grade: C+
Dang, I don't remember now - whether the pilot had credits in the
middle, or just "ran through". But Zap2It, The Futon Critic, and CBS
All Access (TV Guide is out to lunch on this, and doesn't lists the
pilot at all!!) are all now consistent in counting the two-hour pilot
as "one episode" and not two.
Jim G.
2019-07-12 23:20:47 UTC
Post by Jim G.
[...]
It hadn't been bumped from my DVR yet, so I was able to check and it
appears to "run through," suggesting a single entity, although I zipped
through the likely parts instead of watching them at normal speed. There
were also some credit references to Part I and Part II as part of the
early credits, which suggests two separate entities combined into one.
IOW, I need a judge's ruling on this one.
Post by Ian J. Ball
But Zap2It, The Futon Critic, and CBS
All Access (TV Guide is out to lunch on this, and doesn't lists the
pilot at all!!)
You'd almost think that people aren't taking this show seriously enough
to justify the effort. :)
Post by Ian J. Ball
are all now consistent in counting the two-hour pilot
as "one episode" and not two.
My guess is that the network made a late and badly announced change and
it's only now trickling down to the online TV services out there.
anim8rfsk
2019-07-12 23:57:05 UTC
What Did You Watch? 2019-07-09 (Tuesday)
July 12, 2019 at 4:20:47 PM MST
BLOOD & TREASURE / 1x08 / The Shadow of Projekt Athena
[Danny and Lexi seek out a famed Nazi hunter whose research leads them
to Montreal, where they suspect that the last of the Nazis who escaped
with Cleopatra may still be alive and in hiding. Also, tensions between
Gwen and Fabi come to a head.]
[snip]
On a housekeeping note, someone apparently decided to renumber most of
the episodes because why not? And it has created some logistical
headaches since TVDB now reflects this new numbering system, but not
everyone else pulls their data from TVDB has made the switch yet. The
first two episodes that were aired back-to-back were originally 1x01
and 1x02, but now they're a combined 1x01.
It's worse than that. My Canadian Metric copy is titled S01E01 in the
MetaData, but S01E01-E02 on the file name.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Meaning that 1x03 is now
1x02 and so on, which is why I'm ultimately listing both last week's
episode and this week's as 1x08. It's stupid, especially since the
first two outings were initially represented as being back-to-back
episodes by the network pinheads.
Grade: C+
Dang, I don't remember now - whether the pilot had credits in the
middle, or just "ran through".
It hadn't been bumped from my DVR yet, so I was able to check and it
appears to "run through," suggesting a single entity, although I zipped
through the likely parts instead of watching them at normal speed. There
were also some credit references to Part I and Part II as part of the
early credits, which suggests two separate entities combined into one.
IOW, I need a judge's ruling on this one.
IMDb lists it as one show called 'part 1 & 2' but it has 2 directors. I say
if one is credited for part one and the other for part 2, it's two separate
shows. It also has two writers but I can't tell how they'd be credited.

Okay, I'm going to the Canadian metric video.

Yeah, it's 2 shows.
Part 1 edited by Annie Ilkow, Part 2 edited by G. Gillian Truster
Part 2 Consulting Producer the creator of The MIDDLEMAN
Part 2 Supervising producer a guy the typing of whose name would break spell
check
Part 1 Executive Producer
Same writers for both parts, but different single directors for each part
All these credits are on the start BTW; I see no additional credits in the
middle. I got no end credits at all.
Jim G.
2019-07-14 06:47:41 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
[...]
Yeah, I still think two, as well. Combining the credits at the beginning
is an easy thing to do and shouldn't be the deciding factor, IMO.
anim8rfsk
2019-07-14 08:16:18 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
[...]
Of course now as I watch them and try to reply to you and Ian on specific
eps, I find that you're numbering them correctly and Ian ... not so much. So
you're out of sync. Grr.
Jim G.
2019-07-14 23:21:49 UTC
re: BLOOD & TREASURE / 1x08 / The Shadow of Projekt Athena
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
Well, I'm "wrong" according to the "authorities," but it's not as if I
can go back and change my numbering in my past posts here, anyway. I'm
just glad that I always include the episode title, as well. So for the
first eight episodes of this one, go by the title and not by the episode
number.
anim8rfsk
2019-07-15 02:31:46 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
Okay, let's talk about "The Curse of Cleopatra" - you know which one that is,
right?
Jim G.
2019-07-15 18:49:10 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Yeah, I still think two, as well. Combining the credits at the beginning
is an easy thing to do and shouldn't be the deciding factor, IMO.
Of course now as I watch them and try to reply to you and Ian on specific
eps, I find that you're numbering them correctly and Ian ... not so much. So
you're out of sync. Grr.
Well, I'm "wrong" according to the "authorities," but it's not as if I
can go back and change my numbering in my past posts here, anyway. I'm
just glad that I always include the episode title, as well. So for the
first eight episodes of this one, go by the title and not by the episode
number.
Okay, let's talk about "The Curse of Cleopatra" - you know which one that is,
right?
You're doing this on purpose and I'm not Ian.
anim8rfsk
2019-07-15 19:00:27 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Yeah, I still think two, as well. Combining the credits at the beginning
is an easy thing to do and shouldn't be the deciding factor, IMO.
Of course now as I watch them and try to reply to you and Ian on specific
eps, I find that you're numbering them correctly and Ian ... not so much. So
you're out of sync. Grr.
Well, I'm "wrong" according to the "authorities," but it's not as if I
can go back and change my numbering in my past posts here, anyway. I'm
just glad that I always include the episode title, as well. So for the
first eight episodes of this one, go by the title and not by the episode
number.
Okay, let's talk about "The Curse of Cleopatra" - you know which one that is,
right?
You're doing this on purpose and I'm not Ian.
Well, you're not wrong.
2019-07-13 01:48:39 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Jim G.
[...]
Yes, that's how it goes on Wikipedia: one set of credits = one episode;
two different sets of credits = 2 episodes.
Post by Jim G.
although I zipped through the likely parts instead of watching them at
normal speed. There were also some credit references to Part I and Part
II as part of the early credits, which suggests two separate entities
combined into one. IOW, I need a judge's ruling on this one.
In production terms, it's certainly two episodes (with production codes
something like #101 and #102). But in *broadcast* terms, it's one
episode, because of the one set of credits.

That CBS All Access is also distributing the whole two-hours as one
episode is the clincher - CBS considers it "one episode" (despite it
being produced as two...).
Post by Ian J. Ball
are all now consistent in counting the two-hour pilot
as "one episode" and not two.
My guess is that the network made a late and badly announced change and
it's only now trickling down to the online TV services out there.
Hard to say - a lot of people get confused by the "produced episodes"
vs. "broadcast/aired episodes" distinction...
2019-07-13 03:30:20 UTC
Post by Jim G.
although I zipped through the likely parts instead of watching them at
normal speed. There were also some credit references to Part I and Part
II as part of the early credits, which suggests two separate entities
combined into one. IOW, I need a judge's ruling on this one.
In production terms, it's certainly two episodes (with production codes
something like #101 and #102). But in *broadcast* terms, it's one
episode, because of the one set of credits.
That CBS All Access is also distributing the whole two-hours as one
episode is the clincher - CBS considers it "one episode" (despite it
being produced as two...).
Who gives a fuck what All Crapsess does? Try to enter it in an awards contest
as one episode and see what happens.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Ian J. Ball
are all now consistent in counting the two-hour pilot
as "one episode" and not two.
You left out 'incorrectly'
Jim G.
2019-07-14 06:49:07 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Jim G.
[...]
I don't agree with that system.
Post by Ian J. Ball
are all now consistent in counting the two-hour pilot
as "one episode" and not two.
My guess is that the network made a late and badly announced change and
it's only now trickling down to the online TV services out there.
Hard to say - a lot of people get confused by the "produced episodes"
vs. "broadcast/aired episodes" distinction...
Credits can be changed/combined at the last minute, though, which is
what I'm guessing happened here, for whatever reason.
anim8rfsk
2019-07-15 06:47:00 UTC
BLOOD & TREASURE / 1x08 / The Shadow of Projekt Athena
[Danny and Lexi seek out a famed Nazi hunter whose research leads them
to Montreal, where they suspect that the last of the Nazis who escaped
with Cleopatra may still be alive and in hiding. Also, tensions between
Gwen and Fabi come to a head.]
The absence of Chuck is getting annoying.
Especially when they're in his apartment. On the other hand, the absence of
Reece and Castillo is annoying too.
Beyond that, this one didn't
really advance the story or reveal any new info other than the fact that
it was Lexi's mom, not her dad, who'd worked with Fabi's group in the
past.
Did anybody not guess that from the fact that the first name was redacted?
And Fabi's dead, taken out in Canadia by the son of a Nazi.
Who previously had killed Lexi's mother when she and Fabi came to kill his
father. And everybody seemed to think they were going to take him in. For
being the son of a Nazi.

Why did the damn dam woman lie to Fabi about not knowing where our heroes
were going? And why was there a photo with the name of the son of a Nazi on
the wall in the dam?

Why was Scandinavian Interpol all shock and awed to trace Danny's phone to
Quebec, especially when they came back to Rome, and why did they come back to
Rome again?
That's
sort of a bummer, both in terms of his character being interesting and
the actor being more talented than the leads. And finally, there
continues to be zero chemistry between those same two leads, made worse
by the fact that both of them act as if they've never even done a
kissing scene before. They're fine individually, but when they're a
"couple," it's almost cringeworthy.
Given how incredibly hot she is, I'm gonna say that he's not really
interested in women.
On a housekeeping note, someone apparently decided to renumber most of
the episodes because why not? And it has created some logistical
headaches since TVDB now reflects this new numbering system, but not
everyone else pulls their data from TVDB has made the switch yet. The
first two episodes that were aired back-to-back were originally 1x01 and
1x02, but now they're a combined 1x01. Meaning that 1x03 is now 1x02 and
so on, which is why I'm ultimately listing both last week's episode and
this week's as 1x08. It's stupid, especially since the first two outings
were initially represented as being back-to-back episodes by the network
pinheads.
The IMDb app is calling the 2 hour premiere 1, and the next one hour ep 3,
which works for me.
Grade: C+
David Barnett
2019-07-12 03:42:32 UTC
On Tuesday July 9, I watched:

VAN HELSING: 1x10 Stay Away (Netflix)
This is where the show became watchable,
especially with Tom Kavanagh (only episode), & not background noise.
Grade B-
--
David Barnett