Man strikes back against Seaside California order with boat mural
2024-05-13 20:49:19 UTC
I'm guessing that Seaside California is on the ocean and lots of
residents own boats?

A man had his boat on his property. He was told that municipal code
required him to install a 6 foot tall fence around it to comply with
code.

He built the fence then painted a realistic mural of a boat on the
fence.

Man strikes back against Seaside order with boat mural
by Torstein Rehn
KSBW-TV News Channel 8
Updated: 1:22 PM PDT May 13, 2024
https://www.ksbw.com/article/man-strikes-back-against-seaside-order-with-boat-mural/60749038
Rhino
2024-05-13 21:04:49 UTC
On Mon, 13 May 2024 20:49:19 -0000 (UTC)
Post by Adam H. Kerman
I'm guessing that Seaside California is on the ocean and lots of
residents own boats?
A man had his boat on his property. He was told that municipal code
required him to install a 6 foot tall fence around it to comply with
code.
He built the fence then painted a realistic mural of a boat on the
fence.
Man strikes back against Seaside order with boat mural
by Torstein Rehn
KSBW-TV News Channel 8
Updated: 1:22 PM PDT May 13, 2024
https://www.ksbw.com/article/man-strikes-back-against-seaside-order-with-boat-mural/60749038
I didn't see anything in the article explaining WHY he had to have a
fence around his boat. Is this a case of "Because we said so!" or is
there a sensible reason for the policy?

As for the fence he built, it's brilliant! We should all do that when
faced with unjust laws and rules: either fight them (if we can) or mock
them.
2024-05-13 21:44:44 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
I'm guessing that Seaside California is on the ocean and lots of
residents own boats?
A man had his boat on his property. He was told that municipal code
required him to install a 6 foot tall fence around it to comply with
code.
He built the fence then painted a realistic mural of a boat on the
fence.
Man strikes back against Seaside order with boat mural
by Torstein Rehn
KSBW-TV News Channel 8
Updated: 1:22 PM PDT May 13, 2024
https://www.ksbw.com/article/man-strikes-back-against-seaside-order-with-boa
t-mural/60749038
I didn't see anything in the article explaining WHY he had to have a
fence around his boat. Is this a case of "Because we said so!" or is
there a sensible reason for the policy?
People don't like to look at boats so the fence is supposed to make the
neighborhood look better.
them.
shawn
2024-05-13 22:50:26 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
Seems like the same people that got their HOAs to force everyone to
park in their garage. No parking on the street or in the driveway.
them.
Rhino
2024-05-14 00:00:11 UTC
On Mon, 13 May 2024 14:44:44 -0700
Post by Adam H. Kerman
I'm guessing that Seaside California is on the ocean and lots of
residents own boats?
A man had his boat on his property. He was told that municipal
code required him to install a 6 foot tall fence around it to
comply with code.
He built the fence then painted a realistic mural of a boat on the
fence.
Man strikes back against Seaside order with boat mural
by Torstein Rehn
KSBW-TV News Channel 8
Updated: 1:22 PM PDT May 13, 2024
https://www.ksbw.com/article/man-strikes-back-against-seaside-order-with-boa
t-mural/60749038
I didn't see anything in the article explaining WHY he had to have a
fence around his boat. Is this a case of "Because we said so!" or is
there a sensible reason for the policy?
People don't like to look at boats
They don't?? I've never heard of that particular phobia before.
2024-05-14 02:49:52 UTC
On Mon, 13 May 2024 20:00:11 -0400, Rhino
People don't like to look at boats
They don't?? I've never heard of that particular phobia before.
That got my attention as well - in my town we had a T-54 tank (Soviet
tank from the 1955-65 era) parked in a guy's backyard about 2 miles
from me and while the neighbors complained about drive-by traffic (it
could be seen from the road) that was the only issue. (He eventually
got tired of it and donated it to the nearest army base for their
museum which certainly made the local RCMP detachment happy as they
had stored the firing block at the police station in the 3 years he
had the tank in his backyard)
Adam H. Kerman
2024-05-14 03:50:21 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
I've got neighbors with boats and trailers. It's their property. They
aren't making the neighborhood look bad. People are idiots. It's an
oceanside community so you'd think they've seen boats.
them.
moviePig
2024-05-13 22:02:47 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
A mural of a boat is likely less of an eyesore than an actual boat. And
if somehow it weren't, it probably runs afoul of other community codes.
BTR1701
2024-05-13 22:36:54 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
But community codes are subordinate to the 1st Amendment. A boat isn't
speech but a mural of a boat *is* speech and community codes will have
to do a lot of heavy lifting to overcome the law's heavy presumption in
favor of protecting speech.
moviePig
2024-05-13 23:12:23 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
In this instance, the mural would seem to be "speech" only to the extent
that it argues against the ordinance it's responding to. And that, in
turn, would seem to validate the ordinance itself, thus requiring the
mural to be of adequate visual quality.
BTR1701
2024-05-13 23:29:46 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
Doesn't matter why it's speech or what it's trying to say. The
government isn't allowed to restrict speech based on content or the
speaker's message.
moviePig
Your 3-year-old's random finger-painting isn't "speech".
BTR1701
It is with regard to government censorship. Even 3-year-olds have rights.
trotsky
2024-05-14 08:08:39 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
So true, and yet some act like three year olds, like your guy Trump, and
wind up with multiple felony counts on multiple indictments while
whining all the while about his "rights." I guess he's to fucking
stupid and/or cowardly to talk about his wrongs.
moviePig
Of course it isn't, assuming he used more than his middle finger.
BTR1701
2024-05-14 22:19:46 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
Yes, it is.

You're doing that thing again where you confuse what you want the law to
be with what the law actually is.
moviePig
You mean... think?
BTR1701
2024-05-14 23:46:05 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
No, where you pretend the law is something other than what it actually
is.
moviePig
2024-05-15 15:04:46 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
Yes, I try to maintain awareness that a law is only how it's
interpreted, which on occasion does involve a rational judiciary.
trotsky
2024-05-14 08:31:34 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
Hey, maybe you didn't know this but sometimes the government does shit
and has to be told by a court of law that it's forbidden from doing such
a thing. That's how jurisprudence works in this country. What an
anonyshit asshole says about it doesn't have a whole hell of a lot of
legal bearing on this situation.
BTR1701
2024-05-13 21:43:48 UTC
I'm guessing that Seaside California is on the ocean and lots of
residents own boats?
A man had his boat on his property. He was told that municipal code
required him to install a 6 foot tall fence around it to comply with
code.
He built the fence then painted a realistic mural of a boat on the
fence.
I'm glad to see Wile E. Coyote has retired to a bungalow in Burbank and
is now living his best life.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Man strikes back against Seaside order with boat mural
by Torstein Rehn
KSBW-TV News Channel 8
Updated: 1:22 PM PDT May 13, 2024
The great thing is that unlike the actual boat, the mural is speech,
which severely limits the government's ability to do anything about it.
Adam H. Kerman
Good luck with trying to pound that clue through moviePig's thick skull.
BTR1701
2024-05-14 05:42:58 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Man strikes back against Seaside order with boat mural
by Torstein Rehn
KSBW-TV News Channel 8
Updated: 1:22 PM PDT May 13, 2024
The great thing is that unlike the actual boat, the mural is speech,
which severely limits the government's ability to do anything about it.
Good luck with trying to pound that clue through moviePig's thick skull.
I've already set the nail and given it a few blows but, as usual, it
doesn't seem to be taking.
trotsky
Verman and Twat--it doesn't get much shittier than this.
moviePig
Perhaps you can explain why the mural is "speech" but the boat isn't.
BTR1701
2024-05-14 22:18:33 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Man strikes back against Seaside order with boat mural
by Torstein Rehn
KSBW-TV News Channel 8
Updated: 1:22 PM PDT May 13, 2024
The great thing is that unlike the actual boat, the mural is speech,
which severely limits the government's ability to do anything about it.
Good luck with trying to pound that clue through moviePig's thick skull.
I've already set the nail and given it a few blows but, as usual, it
doesn't seem to be taking.
Perhaps you can explain why the mural is "speech" but the boat isn't.
The same reason WAR AND PEACE and Beethoven's ODE TO JOY are speech and
the boat isn't.
moviePig
Oh, but the boat is my symbol of protest against neighborhood thugs...
trotsky
2024-05-15 08:37:49 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Man strikes back against Seaside order with boat mural
by Torstein Rehn
KSBW-TV News Channel 8
Updated: 1:22 PM PDT May 13, 2024
The great thing is that unlike the actual boat, the mural is speech,
which severely limits the government's ability to do anything about it.
Good luck with trying to pound that clue through moviePig's thick skull.
I've already set the nail and given it a few blows but, as usual, it
doesn't seem to be taking.
Perhaps you can explain why the mural is "speech" but the boat isn't.
The same reason WAR AND PEACE and Beethoven's ODE TO JOY are speech and
the boat isn't.
This is so confused and stupid I actually feel sorry for you. In
actuality the car is speech twice over: a person "makes a statement"
with the vehicle he or she purchases, whether it be a Rolls, a Porsche
or a Ford Pinto. And like Beethoven or Tolstoy, the creator of
something is also making a statement with something created, so the
design team of the boat is making a statement with the type of boat they
put on the market. These are very simple concepts so I'm not surprised
you fucked them up royally.
Danart
2024-05-15 14:43:38 UTC
I'm guessing that Seaside California is on the ocean and lots o
residents own boats
A man had his boat on his property. He was told that municipal cod
required him to install a 6 foot tall fence around it to compl
wit
Post by Adam H. Kerman
code
He built the fence then painted a realistic mural of a boat on th
fence
Man strikes back against Seaside order with boat mura
by Torstein Reh
KSBW-TV News Channel
Updated: 1:22 PM PDT May 13, 202
https://www.ksbw.com/article/man-strikes-back-against-seaside-order-with-boat-mural/6074903

HO
sucks. They are corrupted, and what is even worst is when there is
neighborhood committee. Like in LA Manhattan Beach Neighborhood ( ID
why they named it that ) they literally have Joyce Karlin. Joyc
Karlin AKA was the judge that acquitted the shooter from the Killin
of Latasha Harlins. Where Latasha had money in her hand for the juic
she was going to buy, but the person ( the store owner'
dim-witted-murderous-looking wife ) literally assumed she stole th
item.

It was obvious what happen

A. The witch was racist paranoid immigrant who had a problem wit
black people.

B. IDK how that would pan out because it was one of those $0.25 cen
blue juices people talked about giving problems with mens body-parts
Those cheap barrel juices that probably was garbage to begin with.

Joyce Karlin literally said "She does not look the part"
look like a bad person ) and gave her next to nothing for the life sh
took. This one line fuel the L.A. Riots in which many minority group
( African Decents, Asian Decents, and others ) terrorized each othe
and created a push and fuel of racism.

Joyce Karlin daughter is a relationship advisor ( literall
Physiologist/Therapist for couples

Joyce Karlin herself is a "Jewish person" ( does not mea
she practices religion )

It is nutjobs like this which act like they are god, in th
neighborhood. The kind of losers out there. Just like the nutjob wh
slept with the police to terrorize her husband

This is a response to the post seen at
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=665301423#66530142
The Horny Goat
2024-05-16 06:20:51 UTC
The same reason WAR AND PEACE and Beethoven's ODE TO JOY are speech and
the boat isn't.
The lyrics in the Ode to Joy were definitely "speech" but Schiller's
not Beethoven's. )albeit Beethoven admired Schiller)
Adam H. Kerman
2024-05-16 10:58:55 UTC
The same reason WAR AND PEACE and Beethoven's ODE TO JOY are speech and
the boat isn't.
The lyrics in the Ode to Joy were definitely "speech" but Schiller's
not Beethoven's. )albeit Beethoven admired Schiller)
A musical performance, with lyrics or as an instrumental, is speech
under United States law. Publishing the sheet music is press.

Speech is more than just words.
moviePig
You don't say...
The Horny Goat
2024-05-17 07:38:38 UTC
The same reason WAR AND PEACE and Beethoven's ODE TO JOY are speech and
the boat isn't.
The lyrics in the Ode to Joy were definitely "speech" but Schiller's
not Beethoven's. )albeit Beethoven admired Schiller)
A musical performance, with lyrics or as an instrumental, is speech
under United States law. Publishing the sheet music is press.
Speech is more than just words.
You don't say...
Ah but is it YOUR speech or somebody else's? (Which was the point I
was making concerning who wrote the words to the Ode to Joy - which
I've listened to numerous times as I'm a huge fan of the 9th)
Adam H. Kerman
2024-05-17 16:11:06 UTC
The same reason WAR AND PEACE and Beethoven's ODE TO JOY are speech and
the boat isn't.
The lyrics in the Ode to Joy were definitely "speech" but Schiller's
not Beethoven's. )albeit Beethoven admired Schiller)
A musical performance, with lyrics or as an instrumental, is speech
under United States law. Publishing the sheet music is press.
Speech is more than just words.
You don't say...
Ah but is it YOUR speech or somebody else's? (Which was the point I
was making concerning who wrote the words to the Ode to Joy - which
I've listened to numerous times as I'm a huge fan of the 9th)
The performer -- in this case a full symphony orchestra with choir -- is
the speaker, not the composer.
moviePig
2024-05-17 19:09:23 UTC
The same reason WAR AND PEACE and Beethoven's ODE TO JOY are speech and
the boat isn't.
The lyrics in the Ode to Joy were definitely "speech" but Schiller's
not Beethoven's. )albeit Beethoven admired Schiller)
A musical performance, with lyrics or as an instrumental, is speech
under United States law. Publishing the sheet music is press.
Speech is more than just words.
You don't say...
Ah but is it YOUR speech or somebody else's? (Which was the point I
was making concerning who wrote the words to the Ode to Joy - which
I've listened to numerous times as I'm a huge fan of the 9th)
Alas, I was merely making a pun.

(But I don't think it's difficult, in practice, to distinguish the
actual meritorious "free speech" elements of most any given action.)
shawn
2024-05-14 22:24:52 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Man strikes back against Seaside order with boat mural
by Torstein Rehn
KSBW-TV News Channel 8
Updated: 1:22 PM PDT May 13, 2024
The great thing is that unlike the actual boat, the mural is speech,
which severely limits the government's ability to do anything about it.
Good luck with trying to pound that clue through moviePig's thick skull.
I've already set the nail and given it a few blows but, as usual, it
doesn't seem to be taking.
Perhaps you can explain why the mural is "speech" but the boat isn't.
The boat is an expression of an idea, hence speech, while the boat is
just a physical object. Though I likely would went with one of those
digital images that you can have printed out. Since it's easier and
quicker to take the photo and then send the image to a place that can
print it out.
moviePig
2024-05-14 23:02:47 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Man strikes back against Seaside order with boat mural
by Torstein Rehn
KSBW-TV News Channel 8
Updated: 1:22 PM PDT May 13, 2024
The great thing is that unlike the actual boat, the mural is speech,
which severely limits the government's ability to do anything about it.
Good luck with trying to pound that clue through moviePig's thick skull.
I've already set the nail and given it a few blows but, as usual, it
doesn't seem to be taking.
Perhaps you can explain why the mural is "speech" but the boat isn't.
The [mural] is an expression of an idea, hence speech, while the boat is
just a physical object. Though I likely would went with one of those
digital images that you can have printed out. Since it's easier and
quicker to take the photo and then send the image to a place that can
print it out.
[I think you meant 'mural', as I edited above...] But why can't the
boat be my expression of an idea, e.g., about boats and private yards?
shawn
2024-05-14 23:17:22 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
My guess is they would say that a physical object depresses the value
of their property while art work enhances the value. It's all made up
but it's like I mentioned in a previous post about HOAs that wanted
every vehicle to be parked inside the garage. Mostly due to them
thinking that the vehicles left outside detracted from the look of the
neighborhood.
moviePig
2024-05-15 15:20:20 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
Sure, I understand that a boat (as with a junker car on the lawn) can be
an eyesore especially in this neighborhood, and that a mural might well
be seen as an improvement. I just don't see how the often abused
concept of "free speech" excludes one and not the other. (Btw, the
"expression of an idea" is exactly what I've argued that free speech and
anti-censorship should be based on, rather than providing an umbrella
for aggressive acts that clearly have little to do with communication.)
BTR1701
2024-05-14 23:45:31 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
If you want to make the case that your boat is a sculpture, then sure,
it's speech, too.
moviePig
2024-05-15 15:27:56 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
Hell, not even that. My boat is a statement of pro-boat advocacy...

(Of course, an actual court would tell me to go jump in the lake.)
The Horny Goat
2024-05-16 06:23:25 UTC
(Of course, an actual court would tell me to go jump in the lake.)
And would said court give the prisoner of jumping from his boat or
from a pier?
moviePig
2024-05-16 19:29:24 UTC
As I understand it, my piers are in the jury...
shawn
I've always found piers in the water.
The Horny Goat
2024-05-17 07:39:47 UTC
On Thu, 16 May 2024 16:41:29 -0400, shawn
Indeed - MY peers are the ones on the jury...
anim8rfsk
2024-05-13 22:01:15 UTC
I'm guessing that Seaside California is on the ocean and lots of
residents own boats?
A man had his boat on his property. He was told that municipal code
required him to install a 6 foot tall fence around it to comply with
code.
He built the fence then painted a realistic mural of a boat on the
fence.
Man strikes back against Seaside order with boat mural
by Torstein Rehn
KSBW-TV News Channel 8
Updated: 1:22 PM PDT May 13, 2024
https://www.ksbw.com/article/man-strikes-back-against-seaside-order-with-boat-mural/60749038