Joy Behar: Tim Scott "Does Not Seem To Understand" Difference Between "Systemic Racism" And "A Racist Country"
2021-05-01 20:25:10 UTC
"The View" co-host Joy Behar said early Thursday that Republican
Senator Tim Scott (R-SC) does not seem to understand the difference
between racism and systemic racism.

Behar, who made the comments during an appearance on "The View," was
asked by co-host Whoopi Goldberg to weigh in on the Republican
senator's State of the Union rebuttal, during which Scott talked about
race and said that the United States isn't a racist country.

"He does not seem to understand - and a lot of them don't seem to
understand - the difference between a racist country and systemic
racism," Behar told the panel.

"Maybe it's not a racist country, maybe Americans - the majority - are
not racist. But we live in a country with systemic racism," said Behar,
who also called it "appalling" that Scott didn't "acknowledge" the
existence of systemic racism in the United States during his speech.

"At least acknowledge that there is systemic racism," she added.

Joy Behar says Tim Scott doesn't understand what systemic
racism means pic.twitter.com/pWKhOSxjVO

- The Post Millennial (@TPostMillennial) April 29, 2021

Sunny Hostin, another co-host of "The View," said that Scott was chosen
to give the rebuttal speech because of his race.

"Why was he chosen to give this rebuttal? He was chosen because he is
the only black Republican senator," said Hostin.

"He is the person that Republicans want to put out front because of the
problem of racism in this country and he knows that. So I was sort of
disappointed that he was used in this way and didn't take that
opportunity to address that type of - this type of issue head-on," she
added.

During Scott's speech Wednesday, the South Carolina senator said that
Americans need to find common ground in discussions about race, and
also shared a moving anecdote about his grandfather holding the
newspaper at the kitchen table in the morning to set a good example for
Scott - even though he had never learned to read himself.

Scott said that he himself knows the "pain of discrimination," having
been "pulled over for no reason" and "followed around a store." He also
added: "I've also experienced a different kind of intolerance. I get
called `Uncle Tom' and the N-word by progressives, by liberals. Just
last week, a national newspaper suggested my family's poverty was
actually privilege because a relative owned land generations before my
time."

After Scott's speech, the phrase "Uncle Tim" trended on Twitter, a
combination of the names Tim Scott and "Uncle Tom," a racial slur that
has historically been used to accuse black men of being submissive to
white men.

The South Carolina senator called out the responses to his speech
during an appearance on "Fox & Friends" the next morning.

"It is stunning in 2021 that those who speak about ending
discrimination want to end it by more discrimination," Scott said.

"I'll just tell you that it has been an amazing morning with so many
good people calling. But the Left, they have doubled down. They are not
going to attack my policies, but they are literally attacking the color
of my skin. You cannot step out of your lane according to the liberal
elite Left," he said.

Trump won.
BTR1701
2021-05-01 21:09:36 UTC
THE VIEW co-host Joy Behar said early Thursday that Republican
Senator Tim Scott (R-SC) does not seem to understand the difference
between racism and systemic racism.
Nothing like having a loudmouth pudgy white woman harridan-splain racism to
black man.
"Why was he chosen to give this rebuttal? He was chosen because he is
the only black Republican senator," said Hostin.
As opposed to the *two* black Democrat senators. The progs are doing sooo muc
better. FFS...
Scott said that he himself knows the "pain of discrimination," having
been "pulled over for no reason" and "followed around a store." He also
added: "I've also experienced a different kind of intolerance. I get
called 'Uncle Tom' and the N-word by progressives, by liberals. Just
last week, a national newspaper suggested my family's poverty was
actually privilege because a relative owned land generations before my
time."
Notice how Behar and her harridan choir had nothing to say about this kind o
pervasive leftist racism.
trotsky
2021-05-02 13:34:02 UTC
THE VIEW co-host Joy Behar said early Thursday that Republican
Senator Tim Scott (R-SC) does not seem to understand the difference
between racism and systemic racism.
Nothing like having a loudmouth pudgy white woman harridan-splain racism to a
black man.
Calling a black clearly behaving as an Uncle Tom indicative of a "black
man" is just trying to obfuscate the truth in typical right wing asshole
doublespeak fashion.
"Why was he chosen to give this rebuttal? He was chosen because he is
the only black Republican senator," said Hostin.
As opposed to the *two* black Democrat senators. The progs are doing sooo much
better. FFS...
I don't get it, Derp, are you going to own the Republiclowns systemic
racism or not? If you have no balls, just admit to that fact.
Scott said that he himself knows the "pain of discrimination," having
been "pulled over for no reason" and "followed around a store." He also
added: "I've also experienced a different kind of intolerance. I get
called 'Uncle Tom' and the N-word by progressives, by liberals. Just
last week, a national newspaper suggested my family's poverty was
actually privilege because a relative owned land generations before my
time."
Notice how Behar and her harridan choir had nothing to say about this kind of
pervasive leftist racism.
Without naming the paper we have to assume he is just another shitheaded
Republiclown liar. Would you like to guess again?
Ubiquitous
2021-05-02 16:06:24 UTC
THE VIEW co-host Joy Behar said early Thursday that Republican
Senator Tim Scott (R-SC) does not seem to understand the difference
between racism and systemic racism.
Nothing like having a loudmouth pudgy white woman harridan-splain racism
to a black man.
Calling a black clearly behaving as an Uncle Tom indicative of a "black
man" is just trying to obfuscate the truth in typical right wing asshole
doublespeak fashion.
Racism noted.
"Why was he chosen to give this rebuttal? He was chosen because he is
the only black Republican senator," said Hostin.
Scott said that he himself knows the "pain of discrimination," having
been "pulled over for no reason" and "followed around a store." He also
added: "I've also experienced a different kind of intolerance. I get
called 'Uncle Tom' and the N-word by progressives, by liberals. Just
last week, a national newspaper suggested my family's poverty was
actually privilege because a relative owned land generations before my
time."
Notice how Behar and her harridan choir had nothing to say about this
kind of pervasive leftist racism.
Without naming the paper we have to assume he is just another shitheaded
Republiclown liar. Would you like to guess again?
It is a trivial matter to look them up, actually, but this is just another
one of your attempts at deflection because you lost the debate.

BTW, it was the Washington Post who did that.
You're welcome.

Trump won.
BTR1701
Don't you get it? Racial slurs are okay when they do it!
Ubiquitous
2021-05-02 15:54:36 UTC
THE VIEW co-host Joy Behar said early Thursday that Republican
Senator Tim Scott (R-SC) does not seem to understand the difference
between racism and systemic racism.
Nothing like having a loudmouth pudgy white woman harridan-splain racism
to a black man.
Nag-splaining?
Joy-splainiung?
Post by BTR1701
"Why was he chosen to give this rebuttal? He was chosen because he is
the only black Republican senator," said Hostin.
As opposed to the *two* black Democrat senators. The progs are doing sooo
much better. FFS...
Scott said that he himself knows the "pain of discrimination," having
been "pulled over for no reason" and "followed around a store." He also
added: "I've also experienced a different kind of intolerance. I get
called 'Uncle Tom' and the N-word by progressives, by liberals. Just
last week, a national newspaper suggested my family's poverty was
actually privilege because a relative owned land generations before my
time."
Notice how Behar and her harridan choir had nothing to say about this kind
of pervasive leftist racism.
Didja ever notice how often this nonsense comes from the wealthy and
powerful?

Trump won.
NoBody
2021-05-02 15:36:46 UTC
Said a rich, white woman. Somehow this is ok with people...
BTR1701
2021-05-02 21:35:27 UTC
"The View" co-host Joy Behar said early Thursday that Republican
Senator Tim Scott (R-SC) does not seem to understand the difference
between racism and systemic racism.
Said a rich, white woman. Somehow this is ok with people...
Can we talk about how absurd it is that a Democrat called Tim Scott an "oreo
and the national press aren't even mentioning it, but when some random colleg
student makes an "okay" sign or a JEOPARDY! contestant holds up three finger
to celebrate his wins, it becomes a 48-hour news cycle?
moviePig
2021-05-02 21:43:10 UTC
"The View" co-host Joy Behar said early Thursday that Republican
Senator Tim Scott (R-SC) does not seem to understand the difference
between racism and systemic racism.
Said a rich, white woman. Somehow this is ok with people...
Can we talk about how absurd it is that a Democrat called Tim Scott an "oreo"
and the national press aren't even mentioning it, but when some random college
student makes an "okay" sign or a JEOPARDY! contestant holds up three fingers
to celebrate his wins, it becomes a 48-hour news cycle?
How is 'oreo' less acceptable than, say, 'rino'?
NoBody
2021-05-03 10:38:08 UTC
"The View" co-host Joy Behar said early Thursday that Republican
Senator Tim Scott (R-SC) does not seem to understand the difference
between racism and systemic racism.
Said a rich, white woman. Somehow this is ok with people...
Can we talk about how absurd it is that a Democrat called Tim Scott an "oreo"
and the national press aren't even mentioning it, but when some random college
student makes an "okay" sign or a JEOPARDY! contestant holds up three fingers
to celebrate his wins, it becomes a 48-hour news cycle?
How is 'oreo' less acceptable than, say, 'rino'?
Because one term is a racist term and the other is a political one.
Here I was thinking it was terrible to be racist. Oh that's right,
only the "correct" people may be racist.
moviePig
'Oreo' is racial, not racist.
BTR1701
2021-05-03 16:12:28 UTC
Post by NoBody
"The View" co-host Joy Behar said early Thursday that Republican
Senator Tim Scott (R-SC) does not seem to understand the difference
between racism and systemic racism.
Said a rich, white woman. Somehow this is ok with people...
Can we talk about how absurd it is that a Democrat called Tim Scott
an "oreo" and the national press aren't even mentioning it, but
when some random college student makes an "okay" sign or a JEOPARDY!
contestant holds up three fingers to celebrate his wins, it becomes
a 48-hour news cycle?
How is 'oreo' less acceptable than, say, 'rino'?
Because one term is a racist term and the other is a political one.
Here I was thinking it was terrible to be racist. Oh that's right,
only the "correct" people may be racist.
'Oreo' is racial, not racist.
Not according to the people to whom it applies. You and Joy Behar gonna
whitesplain racism to them?
moviePig
As I suggested, it's logically no more racist than 'rino' is anti-GOP.
BTR1701
2021-05-03 17:38:23 UTC
Post by NoBody
[...]
And logically "colored people" isn't any more racist than "people of
color".

Logic does not apply to these things.
moviePig
2021-05-03 19:10:45 UTC
Post by NoBody
[...]
I imagine the claim is that "colored people" has deep historical ties to
black oppression ...including my personal recall of it as the "polite"
way to refer to "them". So, I won't tell blacks what to feel about it.
'Oreo', otoh, I think is too new and "cute" to claim such ties -- and
I'm always predisposed toward retaining language's expressive power.
BTR1701
2021-05-03 19:24:46 UTC
Post by NoBody
[...]
And "oreo" has deep historical ties to black oppression by other blacks,
as well as whites that have used it to their advantage. You probably
shouldn't presume to tell blacks what to feel about that, either.
It's just an updated version of "Uncle Tom".
moviePig
2021-05-03 20:06:12 UTC
Post by NoBody
[...]
Yes, one draws one's line where one thinks most reasonable.
'Oreo', otoh, I think is too new and "cute" to claim such ties
It's just an updated version of "Uncle Tom".
I'm no expert, but, I think 'oreo' is not only relatively new, but also
references an internalized pretense at being white -- whereas 'Uncle
Tom' is a black man who "knows his place" and is "friends" with Massa.
suzeeq
2021-05-03 20:16:31 UTC
Post by NoBody
Post by moviePig
On May 2, 2021 at 8:36:46 AM PDT, "NoBody"
On Sat, 01 May 2021 16:25:10 -0400, Ubiquitous
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
I have acquaintances who married, he's black, she's white. She referred
to their children as being her 'oreo kids' when they were younger, about
30 years ago.
moviePig
2021-05-03 21:03:13 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
And I should imagine it was considered charming. I wonder if their kids
heard it then, and what they'd think about it today...
A Friend
2021-05-03 20:17:10 UTC
I'm no expert, but, I think 'oreo' is not only relatively new
Dictionary.com says it dates back to 1965-1970.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/oreo
moviePig
2021-05-03 20:59:53 UTC
I'm no expert, but, I think 'oreo' is not only relatively new
Dictionary.com says it dates back to 1965-1970.
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/oreo
...whereas 'Uncle Tom's Cabin' was published more than a century
earlier, though I don't know how quickly the "slur" took root.
A Friend
2021-05-03 21:19:17 UTC
I'm no expert, but, I think 'oreo' is not only relatively new
Dictionary.com says it dates back to 1965-1970.
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/oreo
...whereas 'Uncle Tom's Cabin' was published more than a century
earlier, though I don't know how quickly the "slur" took root.
It was during the 1860s, which is a lot earlier than I'd thought.

You don't hear much about Simon Legree anymore. His name used to be
invoked pretty often against bad bosses.
trotsky
Holy crap I just barely remember that.
T***@agent.com
2021-05-03 23:20:56 UTC
Post by NoBody
[...]
I don't know what you mean by "relatively new" but I've heard "oreo"
for at least 50 years.

Tom Benton

There are good days and there are bad days, and this is one of them.
moviePig
2021-05-04 02:18:33 UTC
Post by T***@agent.com
Post by NoBody
[...]
Yes, as 'a friend' posted, that seems right. But I suppose I'm feeling
that a witticism coined in my lifetime isn't owed my deference...
Rhino
2021-05-03 21:46:57 UTC
Post by moviePig
'Oreo', otoh, I think is too new and "cute" to claim such ties
It's just an updated version of "Uncle Tom".
"Oreo" (Brown on the outside, White on the inside) was formed the same
way "watermelon" ((politically) Green on the outside, (politically) Red
on the inside) was. Both terms imply deception and both made a political
statement out of something that was previously non-political.
Not when you're involved, of course it doesn't, Derp.
NoBody
2021-05-04 11:25:08 UTC
Post by NoBody
[...]
Once again, for the dumb folks in the gallery: "rino" is a political
term", "oreo" is referred to people of a specific race for their
beliefs. That is RACIST.
Ubiquitous
2021-05-04 10:58:19 UTC
Post by NoBody
"The View" co-host Joy Behar said early Thursday that Republican
Senator Tim Scott (R-SC) does not seem to understand the difference
between racism and systemic racism.
Said a rich, white woman. Somehow this is ok with people...
Can we talk about how absurd it is that a Democrat called Tim Scott
an "oreo" and the national press aren't even mentioning it, but
when some random college student makes an "okay" sign or a JEOPARDY!
contestant holds up three fingers to celebrate his wins, it becomes
a 48-hour news cycle?
How is 'oreo' less acceptable than, say, 'rino'?
Because one term is a racist term and the other is a political one.
Here I was thinking it was terrible to be racist. Oh that's right,
only the "correct" people may be racist.
'Oreo' is racial, not racist.
RAT's very own Norm Chomsky strikes again!
Post by BTR1701
Not according to the people to whom it applies. You and Joy Behar gonna
whitesplain racism to them?
Moviepig has obviously lost the debate and is pulling an "FPP".

Trump won.
NoBody
2021-05-04 11:23:40 UTC
Post by NoBody
"The View" co-host Joy Behar said early Thursday that Republican
Senator Tim Scott (R-SC) does not seem to understand the difference
between racism and systemic racism.
Said a rich, white woman. Somehow this is ok with people...
Can we talk about how absurd it is that a Democrat called Tim Scott an "oreo"
and the national press aren't even mentioning it, but when some random college
student makes an "okay" sign or a JEOPARDY! contestant holds up three fingers
to celebrate his wins, it becomes a 48-hour news cycle?
How is 'oreo' less acceptable than, say, 'rino'?
Because one term is a racist term and the other is a political one.
Here I was thinking it was terrible to be racist. Oh that's right,
only the "correct" people may be racist.
'Oreo' is racial, not racist.
No, it *racist* as it's used against people of a specific race in a
degrading fashion.
moviePig
No, it isn't, as it doesn't degrade/deplore their race.
NoBody
2021-05-05 11:28:21 UTC
Post by NoBody
Post by moviePig
Post by NoBody
[...]
Of course it does. Please try to stop excusing racism. That behavior
is racist itself.
moviePig
Empty denial, supported by catch-22. Very convincing...
NoBody
Look at you, all denial and no ability to respond with actual thought.
]v [etaphoid
2021-05-05 14:31:24 UTC
Post by NoBody
Post by moviePig
Post by NoBody
[...]
Tell me, do you consider how this sheboon treats this cop, racist?

The sow was using her spook privilege to get away with disrespecting an officer
trying to do his job. If the motorist was a white teacher talking that trash to a
black officer, she woulda lost her job for starters.
Here endeth the lesson...
Ubiquitous
2021-05-04 10:53:45 UTC
"The View" co-host Joy Behar said early Thursday that Republican
Senator Tim Scott (R-SC) does not seem to understand the difference
between racism and systemic racism.
Said a rich, white woman. Somehow this is ok with people...
Can we talk about how absurd it is that a Democrat called Tim Scott an
"oreo" and the national press aren't even mentioning it, but when some
random college student makes an "okay" sign or a JEOPARDY! contestant
holds up three fingers to celebrate his wins, it becomes a 48-hour news
cycle?
How is 'oreo' less acceptable than, say, 'rino'?
TROLL-O-METER

5* 6* *7
4* *8
3* *9
2* *10
1* | *stuporous
0* -*- *catatonic
* |\ *comatose
* \ *clinical death
* \ *biological death
* _\/ *demonic apparition
* * *damned for all eternity
trotsky
2021-05-03 10:09:19 UTC
"The View" co-host Joy Behar said early Thursday that Republican
Senator Tim Scott (R-SC) does not seem to understand the difference
between racism and systemic racism.
Said a rich, white woman. Somehow this is ok with people...
Can we talk about how absurd it is that a Democrat called Tim Scott an "oreo"
and the national press aren't even mentioning it, but when some random college
student makes an "okay" sign or a JEOPARDY! contestant holds up three fingers
to celebrate his wins, it becomes a 48-hour news cycle?
What are you going to do about it?