Netflix Sneaks Transgender Ideology Into "Baby-Sitters Club" Series
2020-08-02 13:57:39 UTC
Netflix has released an "original" series based on a popular book
series from my childhood, "The Baby-Sitters Club."

Like most stories targeted at "tween" girls, the topics in the books
revolved around boys, family, illness, and more. Much to my chagrin,
though, Episode 4 of the Netflix series sneaks in issues surrounding a
transgender child.

The novels, written by Ann M. Martin and published from 1986 to 2000,
were wildly popular and sold 176 million copies. The Netflix show also
is about a group of preteens and teenagers who operate their own
babysitting service.

But I don't appreciate Netflix using the sweet, nostalgic "Baby-Sitters
Club" series as a Trojan horse to discuss a controversial and
potentially harmful subject that young children often aren't equipped
to understand.

Netflix writer Rose Dommu posted a thread via the Netflix Twitter
account to explain why, as a trans woman, the transgender episode of
"Baby-Sitters Club" meant so much to her. The Twitter thread is worth
reading, providing insight into exactly why I think this was a bad idea
for the writers of the Netflix series to adapt the books into something
more progressive.

Dommu writes: "This generation's BSC handle[s] the same dramas as their
original incarnations, with the circumstances updated for 2020."

This is convenient and important: Parents who might give the OK for
their children to watch Netflix's "Baby-Sitter's Club" because it's
just like the familiar book series might not appreciate this particular
episode. Indeed, most of the series likely does stick more closely to
the books, just not Episode 4, which definitely updates "circumstances"
to reflect the very progressive era we now inhabit. Dommu calls this
episode a "timely and poignant modernization."

Mary Anne, one of the babysitters, ends up watching Bailey, a boy who
has decided to be a girl. The scene the writers used to demonstrate
this is related to clothing. Dommu describes the scene well:

Ready for an outfit change, Bailey explains that the closet
is full of her "old clothes," while her new clothes are much
more sparkly-taste! Mary Anne understands immediately that
Bailey knows who she is & has supportive parents who trust
their daughter and want her to be happy.

Later in the episode, Mary Anne confides in her friend Dawn about
babysitting a transgender child, Dawn, who prides herself on hailing
from California, explains: "The same way that you know you're right-
handed, Bailey knows she's a girl. And we all want our outsides to
match our insides right? And it's rad to have parents and a babysitter
who get it. She's really lucky."

Later, Bailey comes down with a fever and Mary Anne takes the child to
the hospital. This is clearly a ploy to allow the child to experience
what transgender people call being "misgendered." The doctors refer to
Bailey as "he" and suggest that he change into a blue gown for
examination.

Mary Anne pulls the doctors aside and explains that even though he
might look like a boy, and his chart might say he is a boy, and indeed
he was born an actual boy, he feels like a girl. And therefore the
doctors must refer to Bailey as a girl or they are "ignoring who she
is" and making "her feel insignificant or humiliated." The doctors, of
course, apologize.

Dommu, writing the Twitter thread about the importance of the episode,
explains: "What this episode ultimately gives me is hope. It
illustrates what was articulated so perfectly in @Disclosure_Doc: You
can't be what you can't see. Imagine the young trans children who are
going to watch this & see a version of themselves who is actualized,
supported, and HAPPY."

I'm disappointed to see the writers adapting this great book series use
it as an opportunity to sneak in such a complicated issue, which most
audience members, likely between 7 and 15 years old, are unable to
truly grasp-especially the younger ones.

That the creators of the show not only sneak in this subplot but later
highlight it on the Netflix Twitter account as a point of pride shows
how important it is to them to showcase progressive ideology, even to
small children.

Research shows that simply encouraging children to transition socially
is one of the more harmful ways to respond to gender dysphoria, which
is clearly what Bailey is experiencing in the show. Many health care
professionals encourage therapy first rather than a transition to the
other sex. It's too bad that option wasn't shown here at all.

Of course, parents can use their own discretion when it comes to
allowing their kids to watch this show. I have two daughters; I decided
they could watch this episode and we would discuss it together. I then
explained what I believed to be more accurate, honest, and helpful to
young children about transgender ideology.

Other parents may choose not to allow their children to see it. That's
up to them.

"The Baby-Sitters Club" so far is a charming series that discusses
topics that tweens already are thinking about, such as babysitting,
school, friends, and boys.

Why introduce to them a topic that's not only rare but actually harmful
for kids? It's disappointing to say the least.

--
Every American should want President Trump and his administration to
handle the coronavirus epidemic effectively and successfully. Those who
demands not only of civic responsibility but of basic decency.
anim8rfsk
2020-08-03 16:56:41 UTC
Netflix has released an "original" series based on a popular book
series from my childhood, "The Baby-Sitters Club."
Like most stories targeted at "tween" girls
This is one time you really should have cited the source Ubi. :)
https://www.dailysignal.com/2020/08/01/netflix-sneaks-transgender-ideology-into-baby-sitters-club-series
anim8rfsk
2020-08-03 17:59:31 UTC
Netflix has released an "original" series based on a popular book
series from my childhood, "The Baby-Sitters Club."
Like most stories targeted at "tween" girls
This is one time you really should have cited the source Ubi. :)
https://www.dailysignal.com/2020/08/01/netflix-sneaks-transgender-ideology-int
o-baby-sitters-club-series
I know that!

But by posting it as though he wrote it, he's portrayed as a teenage girl.
ah, ok, I see your point.
anim8rfsk
2020-08-19 04:16:43 UTC
Netflix has released an "original" series based on a popular book
series from my childhood, "The Baby-Sitters Club."
Like most stories targeted at "tween" girls
This is one time you really should have cited the source Ubi. :)
https://www.dailysignal.com/2020/08/01/netflix-sneaks-transgender-ideology-int
o-baby-sitters-club-series
I know that!
But by posting it as though he wrote it, he's portrayed as a teenage girl.
Nah. Based on that article he stopped being a teenage girl many years
ago. Baby Sitters Club is a pretty old series.

The Horny Goat
2020-08-03 23:05:28 UTC
On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 17:43:56 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
Netflix has released an "original" series based on a popular book
series from my childhood, "The Baby-Sitters Club."
Like most stories targeted at "tween" girls
This is one time you really should have cited the source Ubi. :)
https://www.dailysignal.com/2020/08/01/netflix-sneaks-transgender-ideology-into-baby-sitters-club-series
I'm pretty sure neither my two daughters (who devoured this series by
the bushel basket at that age) nor my wife or I were aware this was a
sub-text in this series.
kensi
2020-08-04 02:28:00 UTC
Why introduce to them a topic that's not only rare but actually harmful
for kids?
How, exactly, is it "harmful", bigoted k00k?
in here." ~Checkmate
Ed Stasiak
2020-08-04 21:14:25 UTC
kensi
2020-08-04 21:28:00 UTC
Post by kensi
kensi
Why introduce to them a topic that's not only rare but actually harmful for kids?
How, exactly, is it "harmful", bigoted k00k?
https://innovatemedtec.com/images/img/pic43.png
Better question: Who gives a *fuck* what Seamus thinks?
kensi
2020-08-05 03:26:18 UTC
Post by kensi
kensi
Why introduce to them a topic that's not only rare but actually harmful for kids?
How, exactly, is it "harmful", bigoted k00k?
https://innovatemedtec.com/images/img/pic43.png
Those are the negative consequences of forcing trans people to live a
lie, and persecuting the ones who come out. You are making the
progressive case for us.
in here." ~Checkmate
b***@gmail.com
2020-08-05 03:38:48 UTC
And LGBT kids get kicked out because their
parents believe that the magic man told them to.

This is why religion is destructive; it makes
people do things in the name of some faceless
"God" that hurts or kills people. Religion belongs
in the dark ages, not the 21st century.
Adam H. Kerman
Trans people? At age 8?
kensi
2020-08-05 06:21:10 UTC
kensi
Post by Ed Stasiak
Post by kensi
How, exactly, is it "harmful", bigoted k00k?
https://innovatemedtec.com/images/img/pic43.png
Those are the negative consequences of forcing trans people to live a
lie, and persecuting the ones who come out. You are making the
progressive case for us.
Trans people? At age 8?
Ed must think so, if he somehow thinks watching this show will lead them
to commit suicide at that age. (Just between you and me, he's nuts.)

(*snicker*)
in here." ~Checkmate
RichA
2020-08-04 02:42:04 UTC

Letting children young enough to be babysat decide they aren't the right sex sounds about par for the progressives. The only people in 10 years who will benefit from this are psychiatrists.
b***@gmail.com
2020-08-04 22:35:47 UTC
If it bothers you that much, don't watch
the episode.

At least they did not sneak in a message
telling kids to worship the invisible
sky monster, who says "I love you" and
"I will burn you for eternity", and
send the message that they have to fear him reading their
thoughts 24/7, and tell them to judge
and hate certain groups of people.
I watered down my post quite a bit,
because the Christian religion is much, much
worse than what I wrote here.

That would be far more damaging to kids
than what they did here.

Check out evilbible.com , which points
out the sheer nastyness and darkness
found in the Bible.
kensi
2020-08-05 03:27:44 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
If it bothers you that much, don't watch
the episode.
At least they did not sneak in a message
telling kids to worship the invisible
sky monster, who says "I love you" and
"I will burn you for eternity", and
Sounds like a classic abuser type to me. CPS should take sky monster's
kids away and give sole custody to the mother, from the sounds. :)
in here." ~Checkmate