Universal Scraps THE HUNT
2019-08-10 18:45:03 UTC
Universal has decided to scrap the release of THE HUNT-- an R-rated satire
in which elites hunt "deplorables" for sport-- following a series of mass
shootings across the country. The film had been set to hit theaters on
Sept. 27.

The studio's Saturday announcement came a day after President Donald Trump
took aim at the film-- though he didn't name its title.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/universal-scraps-hunt-release-gun-violence-uproar-1230716
moviePig
2019-08-10 21:31:07 UTC
Universal has decided to scrap the release of THE HUNT-- an R-rated satire
in which elites hunt "deplorables" for sport-- following a series of mass
shootings across the country. The film had been set to hit theaters on
Sept. 27.
The studio's Saturday announcement came a day after President Donald Trump
took aim at the film-- though he didn't name its title.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/universal-scraps-hunt-release-gun-violence-uproar-1230716
I especially hate censorship at the box office. Fwiw, this flick has
a solid pedigree, and I'll now watch it on principle, ASAP.
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
FPP
2019-08-10 21:55:05 UTC
Universal has decided to scrap the release of THE HUNT-- an R-rated satire
in which elites hunt "deplorables" for sport-- following a series of mass
shootings across the country. The film had been set to hit theaters on
Sept. 27.
The studio's Saturday announcement came a day after President Donald Trump
took aim at the film-- though he didn't name its title.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/universal-scraps-hunt-release-gun-violence-uproar-1230716
 I especially hate censorship at the box office.  Fwiw, this flick has
a solid pedigree, and I'll now watch it on principle, ASAP.
Well, if North Korea couldn't stop The Interview... I doubt our Grate
Leader will stop this one.
Most likely, Ttump just made this turd a financial success.

The studio should send him a fruit basket... which he probably would
refuse because they were picked by Messicans.
--
Trump: "I'm rich." (* but you can't see my taxes.)
"I'm smart." (* but you can't see my grades.)
"I'm totally exonerated." (* but you can't see the report.)
The Horny Goat
2019-08-10 23:02:47 UTC
 I especially hate censorship at the box office.  Fwiw, this flick has
a solid pedigree, and I'll now watch it on principle, ASAP.
Well, if North Korea couldn't stop The Interview... I doubt our Grate
Leader will stop this one.
Most likely, Ttump just made this turd a financial success.
The studio should send him a fruit basket... which he probably would
refuse because they were picked by Messicans.
It'll probably turn up as 2019's "Band Candy" which was the Buffy the
Vampire Slayer episode that came out the week after Columbine - the
plot was that Buffy had to stop a would be high school age mass
murderer and one of the characters (Xander?) made a comment to the
effect that there were so many mass murders these days "it seems like
everybody's doing it".

A crude annoying comment from a dorky character but completely
unacceptable when the episode was supposed to run - which was less
than a week after Columbine though the schedule had been set months
before.

They skipped the episode in first run and slipped it in wiithout event
during the rerun portion at the end of the season. By then 3-4 months
had passed and they didn't censor the episode though no question it
was the sensation of alt.tv.buffy-the-vampire-slayer at the time.

(Which 20 years ago was at least as active a newsgroup as this one is
now)
Adam H. Kerman
2019-08-10 23:07:19 UTC
[...]
As I recall, the guy with the rifle in the tower wanted to commit
suicide, not take anyone out.
Ian J. Ball
2019-08-10 23:20:10 UTC
[...]
I think it was something like that... Which made the whole kerfuffle
come off as even more idiotic than it was at first glance.
2019-08-11 16:43:12 UTC
As I recall, the guy with the rifle in the tower wanted to commit
suicide, not take anyone out.
I think it was something like that... Which made the whole kerfuffle
come off as even more idiotic than it was at first glance.
I was mistaken - it was the season 3 episode "Earshot" that was
delayed after Columbine and it was an inane comment about 'mass murder
- seems everybody's doing it' that got the episode delayed.

It was said at the time CBS Legal figured broadcasting an episode with
that line the week after Columbine would be interpreted as a last
minute insertion that would land them in a world of hurt (probably
correctly) and that delaying the episode was called for. It is claimed
though not acknowledged an episode of Glee was later postponed for
similar reasons.

The connection to the "Band Candy" episode was that in "Earshot" Buffy
temporarily acquired telepathic powers (which she used to stop
Jonathan) and when talking to her mother came up with the memorable
line "You had sex with GILES? On the hood of the car? TWICE?!?"

This took place during the Band Candy episode where her mother and
Giles had both eaten from a tainted box of candy which was magically
treated to make people act out their most extreme atavistic teenage
impulses.
Rhino
2019-08-11 17:31:01 UTC
As I recall, the guy with the rifle in the tower wanted to commit
suicide, not take anyone out.
I think it was something like that... Which made the whole kerfuffle
come off as even more idiotic than it was at first glance.
I was mistaken - it was the season 3 episode "Earshot" that was
delayed after Columbine and it was an inane comment about 'mass murder
- seems everybody's doing it' that got the episode delayed.
Why not just show the episode with that one line of dialogue removed -
and maybe the one before it if the two really HAD to be heard together?
Post by The Horny Goat
It was said at the time CBS Legal figured broadcasting an episode with
that line the week after Columbine would be interpreted as a last
minute insertion that would land them in a world of hurt (probably
correctly) and that delaying the episode was called for. It is claimed
though not acknowledged an episode of Glee was later postponed for
similar reasons.
Glee had an episode in which there was a mass shooting? Glee??? I
watched that show for the first season or two but I don't remember any
Unless it was about killing radical leftists of course. I wonder how they Left would react to a movie about exterminating Antifa?
Michael OConnor
2019-08-11 02:03:53 UTC
And who can forget that movie from a few years back, "Death of a President" which featured George W. Bush's face CGI'd onto the face of the President who is assassinated in a alt-history faux documentary. Would everybody who thinks such a film would have been depicting the assassination of President Barack Obama please raise their hands? Hmm, I don't see any hands. Just checking.
FPP
2019-08-11 06:11:00 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
I especially hate censorship at the box office.
Unless it was about killing radical leftists of course. I wonder how they Left would react to a movie about exterminating Antifa?
And who can forget that movie from a few years back, "Death of a President" which featured George W. Bush's face CGI'd onto the face of the President who is assassinated in a alt-history faux documentary. Would everybody who thinks such a film would have been depicting the assassination of President Barack Obama please raise their hands? Hmm, I don't see any hands. Just checking.
Um... this was a British film.
moviePig
2019-08-11 14:40:46 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
   I especially hate censorship at the box office.
Unless it was about killing radical leftists of course.  I wonder how
they Left would react to a movie about exterminating Antifa?
And who can forget that movie from a few years back, "Death of a
President" which featured George W. Bush's face CGI'd onto the face of
the President who is assassinated in a  alt-history faux documentary.
Would everybody who thinks such a film would have been depicting the
assassination of President Barack Obama please raise their hands?
Hmm, I don't see any hands.  Just checking.
Um... this was a British film.
...and a mainly exploitative one, according to its title and buzz.
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
Rhino
2019-08-11 19:39:12 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
   I especially hate censorship at the box office.
Unless it was about killing radical leftists of course.  I wonder how
they Left would react to a movie about exterminating Antifa?
And who can forget that movie from a few years back, "Death of a
President" which featured George W. Bush's face CGI'd onto the face of
the President who is assassinated in a  alt-history faux documentary.
Would everybody who thinks such a film would have been depicting the
assassination of President Barack Obama please raise their hands?
Hmm, I don't see any hands.  Just checking.
Um... this was a British film.
So what?
It was a British film, with different sensibilities. It was not about
the assassination of Bush per se, but about what happened in the Middle
East as a consequence of it, since the assassination was pinned on a
Middle Easterner -- incorrectly, as it turned out. President Cheney
expanded the war on the pretext of combatting a grand conspiracy that
did not, in fact, exist. That was what the film was about.
moviePig
2019-08-11 20:15:37 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
[...]
Needed a different title. Badly.
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
moviePig
2019-08-11 14:38:08 UTC
Universal has decided to scrap the release of THE HUNT-- an R-rated satire
in which elites hunt "deplorables" for sport-- following a series of mass
shootings across the country. The film had been set to hit theaters on
Sept. 27.
The studio's Saturday announcement came a day after President Donald Trump
took aim at the film-- though he didn't name its title.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/universal-scraps-hunt-release-gun-violence-uproar-1230716
I especially hate censorship at the box office.
Unless it was about killing radical leftists of course. I wonder how they Left would react to a movie about exterminating Antifa?
A provocative movie with strong credentials should be anyone's must-see.
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
David Johnston
2019-08-11 18:56:02 UTC
Universal has decided to scrap the release of THE HUNT-- an R-rated satire
in which elites hunt "deplorables" for sport-- following a series of mass
shootings across the country. The film had been set to hit theaters on
Sept. 27.
The studio's Saturday announcement came a day after President Donald Trump
took aim at the film-- though he didn't name its title.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/universal-scraps-hunt-release-gun-violence-uproar-1230716
I especially hate censorship at the box office.
Unless it was about killing radical leftists of course. I wonder how they Left would react to a movie about exterminating Antifa?
The Purge series was quite popular. Here's a hint. In all of these
"Humans are the most dangerous game" stories, it isn't the hunters who
are being portrayed as the good guys.
The Horny Goat
2019-08-11 21:32:23 UTC
On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 12:56:02 -0600, David Johnston
Post by David Johnston
Post by RichA
Unless it was about killing radical leftists of course. I wonder how they Left would react to a movie about exterminating Antifa?
The Purge series was quite popular. Here's a hint. In all of these
"Humans are the most dangerous game" stories, it isn't the hunters who
are being portrayed as the good guys.
There's a flick I wouldn't have seen if not for the female lead Lena
Headey aka Cersei Lannister. When I was playing Evony our alliance was
proud of being "The 300" which she also appeared in as the Queen of
Sparta.

(A fairly small role as you would expect in a film about the battle of
Thermopylae - it's not the sort of material where female leads are
going to play a big role!)

Alan Smithee
2019-08-11 01:32:38 UTC
Universal has decided to scrap the release of THE HUNT-- an R-rated satire
in which elites hunt "deplorables" for sport-- following a series of mass
shootings across the country. The film had been set to hit theaters on
Sept. 27.
and Wal-Mart is removing all violent video games because that's what
caused this problem.
Dimensional Traveler
2019-08-11 02:13:40 UTC
Post by Alan Smithee
Post by BTR1701
Universal has decided to scrap the release of THE HUNT-- an R-rated satire
in which elites hunt "deplorables" for sport-- following a series of mass
shootings across the country. The film had been set to hit theaters on
Sept. 27.
and Wal-Mart is removing all violent video games because that's what
caused this problem.
Gotta make room for more guns to sell so people can defend themselves
against mass shootings!
instinct are running screaming.
shawn
2019-08-11 07:15:54 UTC
On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 19:13:40 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Post by Alan Smithee
Post by BTR1701
Universal has decided to scrap the release of THE HUNT-- an R-rated satire
in which elites hunt "deplorables" for sport-- following a series of mass
shootings across the country. The film had been set to hit theaters on
Sept. 27.
and Wal-Mart is removing all violent video games because that's what
caused this problem.
Gotta make room for more guns to sell so people can defend themselves
against mass shootings!
To be fair, Walmart is actually only removing the violent video games
from their in-store displays. Where they would have the game available
for playing as a demo. Not even sure they are doing it nationwide. So
it's not at all what is being described in the headlines. Shocker!!

That said they do that but don't do anything about the guns they have
on display. Maybe they should put those in the back room and only
bring them out when someone specifically asks for them? Though that
would hurt sales and would probably bring out a number of protestors
which would raise even more questions in the news for Walmart. While
it's easy to pass off the removal of violent video games from display
as Walmart being a good citizen, even though it really changes nothing
as the games are still there for purchase.
Dimensional Traveler
2019-08-11 15:22:48 UTC
Post by Alan Smithee
Post by BTR1701
[...]
Walmart _already_ has protesters wanting them to stop selling guns!
instinct are running screaming.
FPP
Ubiquitous
2019-08-11 03:48:50 UTC
"... and we would have gotten away with it if it were for those pesky apeshit shooters!
Neill Massello
2019-08-11 09:46:47 UTC
Universal has decided to scrap the release of THE HUNT-- an R-rated satire
in which elites hunt "deplorables" for sport
What a shame. It would have been more realistic than anything Hollywood
has released in years.
trotsky
2019-08-11 09:50:26 UTC
On 8/10/19 1:45 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

Thank God they listened to you.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rhino
2019-08-11 16:56:20 UTC
Universal has decided to scrap the release of THE HUNT-- an R-rated satire
in which elites hunt "deplorables" for sport-- following a series of mass
shootings across the country. The film had been set to hit theaters on
Sept. 27.
The studio's Saturday announcement came a day after President Donald Trump
took aim at the film-- though he didn't name its title.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/universal-scraps-hunt-release-gun-violence-uproar-1230716
The report I read said that the film wasn't being dropped entirely, just
that it's release would be delayed. To quote from the story in your link:

We stand by our filmmakers and will continue to distribute films in
partnership with bold and visionary creators, like those associated with
this satirical social thriller, but we understand that *now is not the
right time to release this film*." [Emphasis added]

As I read that passage, they're simply not releasing it NOW. That has
been standard practice for a few years now on TV: if an episode of a
show features a scene that is too reminiscent of something horrific that
has just happened, the episode is held back for a few weeks and then is
shown, probably with an extra-cautious advisory.

In any case, I suspect conservatives may come to regret their strong
reaction to the film. I could be wrong but when I saw the trailer, I got
the distinct impression that the hunted "deplorables" turn the tables on
the elites by the end. Of course that could have simply been some
misleading editing in the trailer.
EGK
2019-08-11 17:47:50 UTC
[...]
This will likely end up like The Interview, the Seth Rogan movie that
supposedly got withdrawn because of threats by North Korea. Then it was
released/leaked online and everyone clamored to see it. In the end, nobody
could figure out what the big deal was.
moviePig
2019-08-11 17:59:24 UTC
Post by EGK
[...]

That can be today's quote, coming soon to a coffee-mug near you...
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
EGK
2019-08-11 18:33:01 UTC
Post by EGK
[...]
I do see the inherent hypocracy in this though. I would expect if it was
the other way around that the usual suspects on social media would be going
nuts. It's like a national sport nowadays to look for things to be
offended or upset by.
Dimensional Traveler
2019-08-11 19:19:15 UTC
[...]
The speculation is that the movie will be released later either on a
streaming service or by a Universal "art-house" subsidiary.
instinct are running screaming.
A Friend
2019-08-11 19:45:04 UTC
Post by Dimensional Traveler
The speculation is that the movie will be released later either on a
streaming service or by a Universal "art-house" subsidiary.
I don't think *anybody* was going to go to a theater to see this dog.
The coverage (much of which has been pretty stupid) has been a gift to
Universal. They'll stream it, sooner rather than later, and with much
greater success than they would have had otherwise.
moviePig
2019-08-11 20:19:16 UTC
[...]
Let's form a search team. Wait, I think I know what to call it...
--
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
The Horny Goat
2019-08-11 21:29:30 UTC
On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 12:56:20 -0400, Rhino
[...]
This isn't new - it's basically what the Buffy producers did 25 years
ago with the Earshot episode and it wasn't new then either.

Nor would it be the first time a trailer was misleading :)