What Did You Watch? 2020-06-23 (Tuesday)
2020-06-24 08:30:41 UTC

GHOST ADVENTURES:
"Voices of the Dead". Zak, Nick and Aaron help a paranormal investigator and
his family find closure after a tragic loss. I've seen this one before but
they packaged it as a super long special for some reason.

Democrats and the liberal media hate President Trump more than they
love this country.
Ian J. Ball
2020-06-24 16:24:23 UTC
Despite yesterday being a workday, I got a couple of movies and "His
Dark Materials" in!!:

His Dark Materials (HBO Go (which will disappear in about a month...
:( ) - "Armour" (ep. #1.4). Better than episode #3, despite the sudden
introductions of what I felt were the contrived characters of Lee
Scoresby (played by Lin-Manuel Miranda) and the "armored bears".
Anyway, Lyra and the Gyptians make it to "The North" (which I assume
is supposed to be Norway, though they never say...), and immediated
Lyra makes an impression with a local bigwig. While Farder Coram (James
Cosmo) appeals to a northern witch for help, the aforementioned Lee
shows up in town too, looking for a particular armored bear, which
happens to coincide with Lyra's latest interest. In the end, all head
off further North (on foot). Meanwhile, there's more machinations back
at the Magisterium with Mrs. Coutler and Lord Boreal!! (though,
separately, this time...).

Harpoon (Showtime Beyond) - I actually don't even know how to describe
this! - "Survival horror comedy" I guess gets the closest...
Anyway, this kept me interested all the way through - a trust-fund
asshole, his nurse girlfriend, and his slacker-stoner best friend get
trapped at sea on a drifting boat after a huge fight in which secrets
among the three are revealed. (And this is after the fight led to them
throwing anything useful off the boat!!) The rest of the film is the
three of them in this predicament, as more secrets come to the surface.
So, basically, this is YA iteration of the film "Lifeboat" (which
itself, is likely based on a 1838 short story by Edgar Allan Poe, which
this film references extensively!).
Anyway, I thought this was pretty solid (though I'm not sure the
"humor" aspects worked all the time...), and the ending of this film
was... appropriate.

Malevolence 2: Bereavement (also known as just "Bereavement") (Prime) -
A film from relatively early in Alexandra Daddario's career - this is
from 2010 (the same year Daddario starred in the first "Percy Jackson"
flick).
Anyway, this is back in the days when Daddario was still doing
straight-up horror films (many of the films early in her career were
horror flicks...), and this is a straight-up horror flick.
But it's rather schizophrenic - half the flick is about Daddario as
high schooler! (Daddario was still 24 when this was filmed!!) and a
mopey recent orphan who is forced to go live on her uncle's (Michael
Biehn!) farm, with his wife and young daughter (amazing! Peyton List
The Younger and Daddario have been in a film together! Peyton List The
Elder can't claim that!). The other half of the film is about a
deranged serial killer who kidnaps a boy named Martin Bristol who has
the condition in which he can't feel physical pain - the deranged
serial killer then kills a series of women in an abadoned meat
processing plant while "training" the kidnapped boy to be his
"apprentice".
From this set-up I was pretty quickly able to predict the ending,
which was disappointing as I was hoping the film wouldn't be that
obvious.
Anyway, this one is only for fans of horror (though, frankly, it
also held back on the "slasher" parts of the serial killer storyline
IMO, which I also found disappointing...), or for fans of a film in
which Daddario runs around in a tank top showing headlights for half
the film.
Note: Apparently, this is a "horror film series" - "Malevolence [1]"
is from 2004, and there's a "Malevolence 3" from 2018, all from
writer/director Stevan Mena. All 3 are currently available on Amazon
Prime, if anyone is interested (and I may watch "3" now...).

Recorded for later: Stargirl.
2020-06-24 17:07:33 UTC
[...]
This sounds interesting. And I can watch it for free on OnDemand...
Post by Ian J. Ball
[...]
  From this set-up I was pretty quickly able to predict the ending,
which was disappointing as I was hoping the film wouldn't be that obvious.
  Anyway, this one is only for fans of horror (though, frankly, it also
held back on the "slasher" parts of the serial killer storyline IMO,
which I also found disappointing...), or for fans of a film in which
Daddario runs around in a tank top showing headlights for half the film.
  Note: Apparently, this is a "horror film series" - "Malevolence [1]"
is from 2004, and there's a "Malevolence 3" from 2018, all from
writer/director Stevan Mena. All 3 are currently available on Amazon
Prime, if anyone is interested (and I may watch "3" now...).
Is it an anthology or are the sequels connected?
Post by Ian J. Ball
Recorded for later: Stargirl.
I watched:

NOS4A2 - "Bad Mother" - Season 2 picks up after an 8 year time jump to
find Vic now the mother of a young boy. Vic is still having PTSD from
her dealings with Manx, and the fact that he's supposedly dead doesn't
help. I guess this was an OK premier. I did find myself interesting in
what was happening with Christmasland and how they were setting up those
kids as potential adversaries.

Stargirl - "The Justice Society" - With the Scooby gang now assembled
(mostly) the so-called new Justice Society heads out on their first
mission. Assuming they ignore the demand to turn in their costumes and
can sneak out past their parents curfews. I actually liked this one a
lot. The battle between the young inexperienced heroes and older
experienced villains reminded me a lot of the battles between the
parents and their kids on "Runaways." I got a bit of a chuckle when at
one point after the villains finished the slapping the kids around they
took time out to pose as if they were taking a picture. They were just
rubbing it in how much they outmatched the kids.

Tolkein (HBO) Bio pick about J.R.R. Tolkien, done somewhat in the style
of "Shakespeare in Love." It just barely held my interest. I watched
mainly as background noise to kill the time.
Ian J. Ball
2020-06-24 18:11:26 UTC
[...]
  From this set-up I was pretty quickly able to predict the ending,
which was disappointing as I was hoping the film wouldn't be that obvious.
  Anyway, this one is only for fans of horror (though, frankly, it also
held back on the "slasher" parts of the serial killer storyline IMO,
which I also found disappointing...), or for fans of a film in which
Daddario runs around in a tank top showing headlights for half the film.
  Note: Apparently, this is a "horror film series" - "Malevolence [1]"
is from 2004, and there's a "Malevolence 3" from 2018, all from
writer/director Stevan Mena. All 3 are currently available on Amazon
Prime, if anyone is interested (and I may watch "3" now...).
Is it an anthology or are the sequels connected?
They're connected through the character of Martin Bristol, apparently.
Recorded for later: Stargirl.
NOS4A2 - "Bad Mother"
DVR'ed, but I'm in no hurry to get to to. I will likely finish "His
Dark Materials", and season #6.1 of "Vikings", before I'll even touch
this.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Stargirl - "The Justice Society"
Will likely get to this tonight.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Tolkein (HBO) Bio pick about J.R.R. Tolkien, done somewhat in the style
of "Shakespeare in Love." It just barely held my interest. I watched
mainly as background noise to kill the time.
I liked this more than you did, but I've been interested in/studying
Tolkein (the man) since I was a lad. This film did introduce a few
things I didn't know, though I disliked that they seemingly whitewashed
Edith (whom I've never liked)...
2020-06-25 15:11:50 UTC
Stargirl - "The Justice Society" - With the Scooby gang now assembled
(mostly) the so-called new Justice Society heads out on their first
mission. Assuming they ignore the demand to turn in their costumes and
can sneak out past their parents curfews. I actually liked this one a
lot.
Me too.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
The battle between the young inexperienced heroes and older experienced
villains reminded me a lot of the battles between the parents and their
kids on "Runaways."
I like this show a lot more than "Runaways", despite them both covering
a lot of the same ground...
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
I got a bit of a chuckle when at one point after the villains finished
the slapping the kids around they took time out to pose as if they were
taking a picture. They were just rubbing it in how much they
outmatched the kids.
Actually, as I said in my review, Wildcat and Stargirl did decently in
holding their own. It was the Hourman kid who got his ass handed to him
royally.
2020-06-25 16:23:03 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
I got a bit of a chuckle when at one point after the villains finished
the slapping the kids around they took time out to pose as if they
were taking a picture.  They were just rubbing it in how much they
outmatched the kids.
Actually, as I said in my review, Wildcat and Stargirl did decently in
holding their own. It was the Hourman kid who got his ass handed to him
royally.
I agree the kids definitely held their own. But they went in expecting
an easy target and found themselves fighting off a pair of villains who
could surprisingly go toe to toe with them. I expected Hourman to do a
lot better given his power set, but it goes to show the difference
between training vs. brute force. His brute force was no match for
Sportsmaster and Tigress(?) training. If anything, the two villains
seemed to be holding back because they were fighting kids. If Icicle or
the brain guy had been there, it would have been a different and more
deadly fight.
Micky DuPree
2020-07-05 02:04:27 UTC
Stargirl - "The Justice Society" - With the Scooby gang now assembled
(mostly) the so-called new Justice Society heads out on their first
mission. Assuming they ignore the demand to turn in their costumes
and can sneak out past their parents curfews. I actually liked this
one a lot. The battle between the young inexperienced heroes and
older experienced villains reminded me a lot of the battles between
the parents and their kids on "Runaways." I got a bit of a chuckle
when at one point after the villains finished the slapping the kids
around they took time out to pose as if they were taking a picture.
They were just rubbing it in how much they outmatched the kids.
I was taking it as the director staging a panel-art-style tableau. To
be honest, the super-villains seem a bit over the top even by comic book
standards, but I'm not bored yet.

Is _Stargirl_ in its own universe, untouched by more mainstream DC
heroes and strictures?

-Micky
Arthur Lipscomb
2020-07-05 15:00:36 UTC
Post by Micky DuPree
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
At the end of the Crisis crossover they showed the various universes
restored, and hers was one of the universes they showed. Yes, I know
they contradicted themselves by also saying all the universes merged
into one, but they only play lip service to that occasionally.
Ian J. Ball
2020-07-05 16:44:58 UTC
Post by Micky DuPree
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
IIRC, they showed "Stargirl" as the "new" Earth-2 (replacing the
previous "Earth-2" which apparently no longer exists...).
2020-07-05 17:05:40 UTC
[...]
There's no reason to assume that all the infinite Earths don't still exist,
and that Stupidgirl is just stupid, girl.
Jim G.
2020-07-05 22:02:59 UTC
Post by Micky DuPree
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
That's the problem with numbers: you run out so quickly and then you
have to start reusing them.
"I'm really glad we're at this place in our relationship where we can
dig up graves together without having to talk." -- Major Lillywhite, iZOMBIE
anim8rfsk
2020-07-05 16:45:18 UTC
[...]
Where by 'constantly' you mean in every single CW episode I've watched since;
if not in the ep itself, in the 'previously on' or 'next on'
They made a point of STUPIDGIRL personally saying there are no other
realities now, but then she's stupid, girl.
Either Barry or Cisco says it every single time on Da Flash.
Apparently for some reason the Berlanti office deems it important for you to
realize that the heroes are wrong.
2020-06-24 17:18:03 UTC
[...]
From this set-up I was pretty quickly able to predict the ending,
which was disappointing as I was hoping the film wouldn't be that
obvious.
Anyway, this one is only for fans of horror (though, frankly, it
also held back on the "slasher" parts of the serial killer storyline
IMO, which I also found disappointing...), or for fans of a film in
which Daddario runs around in a tank top showing headlights for half
the film.
Note: Apparently, this is a "horror film series" - "Malevolence [1]"
is from 2004, and there's a "Malevolence 3" from 2018, all from
writer/director Stevan Mena. All 3 are currently available on Amazon
Prime, if anyone is interested (and I may watch "3" now...).
I tried to watch this, but the PRIME failed while Hi-Ho was jogging.

Not that I blame it.
Jim G.
2020-06-25 19:47:53 UTC
STARGIRL / 1x06 / The Justice Society

[Courtney makes a difficult decision after Pat confronts her about the
consequences of recruiting new members to the JSA. Barbara shows up in
support of Mike's science fair. Courtney, Yolanda, Beth and Rick prepare
for their first major mission.]

Okay, so this one was an improvement. Not only was it satisfying to see
Courtney on the receiving end of know-it-all young people who don't
listen, but it was nice to see them all get their backsides handed to
them when they went into battle without a clue. Fortunately Pat showed
up with his big Transformer that he's still somehow able to get in and
out of that midtown garage without anyone noticing...

Overall, I continue to like Yolanda, but Courtney is still iffy --
although I'm hoping that she will take the things that frustrated her in
this one and apply them to herself. OTOH, Beth and Rick are both still
mostly annoying. Especially Rick, which made it all the more enjoyable
to see him getting the snot knocked out of himself.

Grade: B-
Ian J. Ball
2020-06-25 19:52:09 UTC
Post by Jim G.
STARGIRL / 1x06 / The Justice Society
[Courtney makes a difficult decision after Pat confronts her about the
consequences of recruiting new members to the JSA. Barbara shows up in
support of Mike's science fair. Courtney, Yolanda, Beth and Rick
prepare for their first major mission.]
Okay, so this one was an improvement. Not only was it satisfying to see
Courtney on the receiving end of know-it-all young people who don't
listen, but it was nice to see them all get their backsides handed to
them when they went into battle without a clue. Fortunately Pat showed
up with his big Transformer that he's still somehow able to get in and
out of that midtown garage without anyone noticing...
Overall, I continue to like Yolanda, but Courtney is still iffy --
OK, so it's *not* just me... Actually, this was the first episode where
I didn't find Courtney incredibly annoying.
Post by Jim G.
although I'm hoping that she will take the things that frustrated her
in this one and apply them to herself. OTOH, Beth and Rick are both
still mostly annoying. Especially Rick,
Yes.
Post by Jim G.
which made it all the more enjoyable to see him getting the snot
knocked out of himself.
Definitely, yes. I also like that Yolanda/Wildcat mostly held her own
(until the very end of her fight).
Post by Jim G.
Grade: B-
I think Arthur and I liked this one more than you did.
Jim G.
2020-07-04 22:38:58 UTC
Post by Jim G.
STARGIRL / 1x06 / The Justice Society
[Courtney makes a difficult decision after Pat confronts her about the
consequences of recruiting new members to the JSA. Barbara shows up in
support of Mike's science fair. Courtney, Yolanda, Beth and Rick
prepare for their first major mission.]
Okay, so this one was an improvement. Not only was it satisfying to see
Courtney on the receiving end of know-it-all young people who don't
listen, but it was nice to see them all get their backsides handed to
them when they went into battle without a clue. Fortunately Pat showed
up with his big Transformer that he's still somehow able to get in and
out of that midtown garage without anyone noticing...
Overall, I continue to like Yolanda, but Courtney is still iffy --
OK, so it's *not* just me... Actually, this was the first episode where
I didn't find Courtney incredibly annoying.
It's definitely not just you. And for me, it's both the writing AND the
actress. Mostly the writing of the character, but I have a feeling that
I'd put up with it a lot more if the character had been cast differently.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Jim G.
although I'm hoping that she will take the things that frustrated her
in this one and apply them to herself. OTOH, Beth and Rick are both
still mostly annoying. Especially Rick,
Yes.
And a week later, he's STILL mostly annoying.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Jim G.
which made it all the more enjoyable to see him getting the snot
knocked out of himself.
Definitely, yes. I also like that Yolanda/Wildcat mostly held her own
(until the very end of her fight).
She's my fave, for sure.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Jim G.
Grade: B-
I think Arthur and I liked this one more than you did.
Well, like I said, this one was an improvement over the previous week,
but that's a low bar to clear.