Comcast On-Demand adds Acorn TV
David
2018-04-09 11:24:57 UTC
http://deadline.com/2018/04/acorn-tv-brings-international-fare-to-xfinity-comcast-on-demand-1202360318/

Acorn TV Brings International Fare To Xfinity/Comcast On-Demand
by Bruce Haring

The crime drama No Offence, the BBC comedy Detectorists, and the
Aussie period drama A Place To Call Home are among the shows now
available to US customers as Acorn TV, the largest North American SVOD
specializing in British and international TV, makes its set-top box
debut with Xfinity TV/Comcast.

Xfinity On Demand and the Xfinity Stream App and portal will bring
Acorn to Xfinity TV customers nationwide. It marks the first time that
Acorn TV is available on an MVPD set-top box. Xfinity TV customers
with an X1 Voice Remote can say “Acorn TV” to begin watching today, or
use their remote to navigate to the service within the Xfinity on
Demand menu.

Xfinity TV customers can addAcorn TV to their service for $4.99 per
month.
Adam H. Kerman
2018-04-09 15:10:49 UTC
Post by David
[...]
Oh, fuck that. There are any of two dozen ways to subscribe to Acorn TV
for $4.99 a month.

I have no idea what SVOD and MVPD stand for.
anim8rfsk
2018-04-09 15:35:04 UTC
Post by David
[...]
"Multichannel video programming distributor"

SVOD is a little trickier. I assume from the context they mean "SVoD" -
Subscription Video on Demand, and, like the typical lazy dishonest
illiterate reporter, spelled it wrong. With the capital O it refers to
the Silicon Valley Open Doors conference.
2018-04-09 15:58:28 UTC
Post by David
[...]
Ok thanks. How exactly is that different from Comcast being described as
a cable operator or cable distributor? There's still a satellite channel
and an addressable set-top box, same as everything else.

Also, I've never understood the difference in technology between
switched digital video and Video on Demand, except the viewer was
addressing cached programming at the server of live programming versus
individual episodes and movies.

Your cable operator once offered switched digigal video, right?
Post by anim8rfsk
SVOD is a little trickier. I assume from the context they mean "SVoD" -
Subscription Video on Demand,
Ah. That makes sense. Thanks.
Hehehehehe
anim8rfsk
2018-04-09 16:16:46 UTC
Post by David
[...]
Here's a wiki on it. Comcast seems to be both; if there's a difference,
it's without distinction:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multichannel_television_in_the_United_State
Also, I've never understood the difference in technology between
switched digital video and Video on Demand, except the viewer was
addressing cached programming at the server of live programming versus
individual episodes and movies.
I honestly don't understand it either. SDV only sends you a signal when
you demand it, so there's not all this bandwidth being taken up if
you're not watching the channel, but that sounds exactly how OnDEMAND
works to me.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Your cable operator once offered switched digigal video, right?
Moi? IIRC Cox offers OnDEMAND and the regular service and that's it.
Well, PPV, which I've never gotten, but I assume it's just unlocked
OnDEMAND. Unlike other people's OnDEMAND, mine is live streaming only,
no recording. Cox recently went 'all digital' so you couldn't see even
basic off air stuff without paying for a decoder box.
Post by anim8rfsk
and, like the typical lazy dishonest illiterate reporter, spelled
it wrong. With the capital O it refers to the Silicon Valley Open
Doors conference.
Hehehehehe
;)
2018-04-09 16:35:48 UTC
Post by David
[...]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multichannel_television_in_the_United_States
It's a legal definition from the Telecom Act. MVPD includes cable
operators and direct broadcast satellite and other methods. I had no
idea.
Also, I've never understood the difference in technology between
switched digital video and Video on Demand, except the viewer was
addressing cached programming at the server of live programming versus
individual episodes and movies.
I honestly don't understand it either. SDV only sends you a signal when
you demand it, so there's not all this bandwidth being taken up if
you're not watching the channel, but that sounds exactly how OnDEMAND
works to me.
Yeah. On Demand includes signalling channels and channels for the
programming the viewer is watching. They make two dozen or so channels
available for VoD programming shared by a certain number of subscribers.
When a subscriber chooses a program, it's supplied on the next available
channel. That's got to be exactly how SDV works.

I've pointed out before that with the QAM tuner in my tv, I used to be
able to watch whatever pay-per-pr0n my neighbors had ordered, because
VoD used to be unencrypted. No more, alas.
. . .
Robin Miller
2018-04-09 18:20:07 UTC
Post by David
[...]
Yes, although I thought it meant "streaming video on demand," but that's
simply "VOD":

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/understand-svod-tvod-avod-terms-business-models-streaming-mads-kaysen

--Robin
anim8rfsk