What Did You Watch? 2016-01-01 (Friday)
2016-01-02 09:30:41 UTC
On the first day of 2016, I watched:

THE TWILIGHT ZONE:
No, not the lame one on Sci Fi CHannel.

THE A-TEAM:
Several eps. I'd rather watch BALL FONDLERS.

MORAL OREL:
"Innocence". The townsfolk of Moralton decide, in light of past
experience, to stop giving Orel advice when he asks for it, but
inadvenrtantly convince him to soak in a bathtub of children's blood.
I loved the opening sequence with everyine in church singing the Judas
song from the musical theatre ep:

I hate you Jeezus, You rotten little fink,
Your sermon never pleases and Your parables all stink
Your eyes are beady,
Nose is weird,
A goofy basket case,
I'd like to take your stupid beard and rip it off your face.
Prancing gaily on the water,
A long-haired scrawny clod,
You may be someone's daughter, BUT
You sure ain't the Son of
God God God God God God God God.
God I hate you Jeezus with Your boring miracles,
You smell like a hundred cheeses have been
Shoved right up
Shoved right up
Shoved right up my nose!

MORAL OREL:
"Alone". Three women in Moralton (Nurse Bendy, Miss Sculptham, and Ms.
Censordall) are shown as intensely disturbed people living in solitude.
Bendy pretends her teddy bears are her family, Sculptum learns that the
man who raped her died (as she puts away a bloody coat hanger), and
Censordall plots her control of Moralton. This is one of the more
depressing and dark eps of the series.

MORAL OREL:
"Trigger". Clay uses Doughy to teach Orel how to use a gun.

MORAL OREL:
"Dumb". Bad boy Joe discovers his mother is alive.

MORAL OREL:
"Help". A flashback showing why Bloberta married Clay.

MORAL OREL:
"Passing". A flashback showing Clay's relationship with his parents.

MORAL OREL:
"Closeface". Oral decides to take Christina, the girl his parents
forbade him from seeing after learning she says a different version of
The Lord's Prayer, to the annual Arm's-Length dance.

THE TWILIGHT ZONE:
Yes, the one on Sci Fi CHannel they do every holiday.

--
Cosby's problem is that he doesn't have a Hillary to cover for him and
discredit all those women.
Arthur Lipscomb
2016-01-02 17:33:15 UTC

Grey's Anatomy - Finished off the remaining episodes. Things actually
picked up a little as the episodes went on.

Scream Queens - The three episodes before the 2 hour season finale. The
show continues to be intentionally ridiculous. It's from the creator of
Glee and I was just thinking it's basically Glee characters in the
Scream universe. At times I find the absurd things the characters say
and do amusing but other times it's just frustrating because *no* one is
taking what's happening seriously.

Sherlock: The Abominable Bride - We sort of get a classic style Sherlock
mystery as he attempts to figure out how a woman who killed herself rose
from the dead to murder her husband. It was OK.

I went ahead and deleted TVD and The Originals. I looked at the upcoming
episode summaries and nothing I read convinced me the series was worth
keeping. Ian, just let me know when the series finale airs, and *maybe*
I'll watch that. :-)

Inside Out (3d blu-ray) - Pixar film about the emotions inside a girl's
head. This held up extremely well on second viewing.

Joy (theatrical) - The commercials don't really explain *what* this
movie is about. I was vaguely aware it had something to do with the
woman who invented the "Miracle Mop". However I knew going in that it
had the same director, writer and cast as "American Hustle" and "Silver
Linings Playbook". Based on the strength of those two movies and the
Golden Globes nominations, I decided to give it a look.

Overall it's an OK movie. Very much a "Silver Linings Playbook" type of
movie. If you like David O. Russell movies, you'll probably like this.
If you don't like his movies/cast you probably won't like this. I'm
intentionally ignoring the plot because it doesn't really matter.
You're either going to go see the latest Sorceress/Spielberg/Nolan movie
or you're not. The plot (usually) doesn't matter. It's about the woman
who invented the Miracle Mop...And it's OK.
anim8rfsk
2016-01-02 18:00:12 UTC
Sherlock: The Abominable Bride - We sort of get a classic style Sherlock
mystery as he attempts to figure out how a woman who killed herself rose
from the dead to murder her husband. It was OK.
I seem to have liked it better than most, even if it was a bit annoying.
:)
2016-01-02 18:07:05 UTC
Sherlock: The Abominable Bride - We sort of get a classic style Sherlock
mystery as he attempts to figure out how a woman who killed herself rose
from the dead to murder her husband. It was OK.
I seem to have liked it better than most, even if it was a bit annoying.
:)
I thought the story was pretty good, and even how they wove in the
ending of S3, then went back and forth a little. Good setup for S 4.
Adam H. Kerman
2016-01-02 18:34:55 UTC

Sherlock: The Abominable Bride - We sort of get a classic style Sherlock
mystery as he attempts to figure out how a woman who killed herself rose
from the dead to murder her husband. It was OK.
I seem to have liked it better than most, even if it was a bit annoying.
:)
A bit? That's the understatement of the brand new year. Why the fuck can't
Gatiss and Moffat tell a straight story? They wanted to set a story in
the time period in which Conan Doyle had set the stories; great! Just do
it. Instead, we had to mix in elements from the future, and we got stupid
story-telling games in which paradoxes have been created upon paradoxes,
Sherlock telling stories of the future to Watson (yes, I know one short
story was written "autobiographically" and another was written in third
person). We got not one, but two sex-changing characters, Molly Hooper
and the late Moriarity/Irene Adler, and story-telling devices in which the
dreamer is dreaming a dream and can't wake up AND in which Moriarity/Adler
is used as the internal enemy. Since Moriarity is fake and Adler was real,
why wouldn't his internal nemesis by Irene Adler?

Most annoyingly, why were the characters from the future used in the
story in the past as they were revised for the future story, instead of
being used as Conan Doyle had created them? It was especially annoying that
Mrs. Watson was also working for Mycroft.

Gatiss in the fat suit; gah. Yeah, I know he's the producer, but he blew
the entire makeup budget on himself. It's too bad there wasn't a subtler
way to let us know that there's rivalry between the two brothers. I just
had no idea.

When they stuck with the story of the Bride, it was decently told.
I even liked the running gags--Watson getting complaints from the real
people he put in his stories not getting any interesting dialogue, Sherlock
organizing his thoughts by seeing newspaper clippings. But Gatiss and
Moffat snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with the framing elements,
which have always been annoying.
anim8rfsk
2016-01-02 19:07:56 UTC
Sherlock: The Abominable Bride - We sort of get a classic style Sherlock
mystery as he attempts to figure out how a woman who killed herself rose
from the dead to murder her husband. It was OK.
I seem to have liked it better than most, even if it was a bit annoying.
:)
A bit? That's the understatement of the brand new year. Why the fuck can't
Gatiss and Moffat tell a straight story? They wanted to set a story in
the time period in which Conan Doyle had set the stories; great! Just do
it.
Agreed, that 'alternatively' was all the set up they needed.

Post by Adam H. Kerman
story-telling games in which paradoxes have been created upon paradoxes,
Sherlock telling stories of the future to Watson (yes, I know one short
story was written "autobiographically" and another was written in third
person). We got not one, but two sex-changing characters, Molly Hooper
and the late Moriarity/Irene Adler,
Oh, I think we got more than that. I'm sure that Baker Street Irregular
was a girl dressed as a boy, and I'd bet there were others. What I
wasn't clear on was if Hooper was supposed to be a female character
passing as a man to get that job, although that would be my guess.

Post by Adam H. Kerman
dreamer is dreaming a dream and can't wake up AND in which Moriarity/Adler
is used as the internal enemy. Since Moriarity is fake and Adler was real,
why wouldn't his internal nemesis by Irene Adler?
I was unclear as to what Irene was doing there at all.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Most annoyingly, why were the characters from the future used in the
story in the past as they were revised for the future story, instead of
being used as Conan Doyle had created them? It was especially annoying that
Mrs. Watson was also working for Mycroft.
It explains how she got into MI-5's records so easily though.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Gatiss in the fat suit; gah. Yeah, I know he's the producer, but he blew
the entire makeup budget on himself. It's too bad there wasn't a subtler
way to let us know that there's rivalry between the two brothers. I just
had no idea.
Was anybody else thinking about Monty Python's Meaning of Life?
Post by Adam H. Kerman
When they stuck with the story of the Bride, it was decently told.
I even liked the running gags--Watson getting complaints from the real
people he put in his stories not getting any interesting dialogue, Sherlock
organizing his thoughts by seeing newspaper clippings. But Gatiss and
Moffat snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with the framing elements,
which have always been annoying.
May I repost this to RAT-FaceBook? Cheryl Deering is foaming about the
story there. :)
2016-01-02 19:58:17 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
story-telling games in which paradoxes have been created upon paradoxes,
Sherlock telling stories of the future to Watson (yes, I know one short
story was written "autobiographically" and another was written in third
person). We got not one, but two sex-changing characters, Molly Hooper
and the late Moriarity/Irene Adler,
Oh, I think we got more than that. I'm sure that Baker Street Irregular
was a girl dressed as a boy, and I'd bet there were others. What I
wasn't clear on was if Hooper was supposed to be a female character
passing as a man to get that job, although that would be my guess.
Was she the doctor? If so, yes. Watson even called her out on it.
What I don't get is how Sherlock missed it. Unless Watson was mistaken
about Sherlock not noticing. I found the whole thing distracting until
Watson pointed out the obvious. Then I was waiting for a later reveal
that never came. Although I guess she was probably revealed with the
other women at the end.
story there. :)
Adam H. Kerman
2016-01-02 21:01:30 UTC
. . . We got not one, but two sex-changing characters, Molly Hooper
and the late Moriarity/Irene Adler,
Oh, I think we got more than that. I'm sure that Baker Street Irregular
was a girl dressed as a boy, and I'd bet there were others. What I
wasn't clear on was if Hooper was supposed to be a female character
passing as a man to get that job, although that would be my guess.
I think telegraphing that to the audience was the point of Watson's line
to her, pointing out that Sherlock didn't spot the sex change.
Post by anim8rfsk
and story-telling devices in which the dreamer is dreaming a dream and
can't wake up AND in which Moriarity/Adler is used as the internal
enemy. Since Moriarity is fake and Adler was real, why wouldn't his
internal nemesis by Irene Adler?
I was unclear as to what Irene was doing there at all.
Just in a photograph he carries. There was an episode in which Moriarity
and Adler were merged, and Moriarity was Adler's front, unless I'm confusing
something in Elementary with this show.
Post by anim8rfsk
When they stuck with the story of the Bride, it was decently told.
I even liked the running gags--Watson getting complaints from the real
people he put in his stories not getting any interesting dialogue, Sherlock
organizing his thoughts by seeing newspaper clippings. But Gatiss and
Moffat snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with the framing elements,
which have always been annoying.
May I repost this to RAT-FaceBook? Cheryl Deering is foaming about the
story there. :)
I guess, but I'm still unfriending all of Facebook. Mark Zuckerberg can
go suck an egg.
suzeeq
2016-01-02 21:34:44 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
and story-telling devices in which the dreamer is dreaming a dream and
can't wake up AND in which Moriarity/Adler is used as the internal
enemy. Since Moriarity is fake and Adler was real, why wouldn't his
internal nemesis by Irene Adler?
I was unclear as to what Irene was doing there at all.
Just in a photograph he carries. There was an episode in which Moriarity
and Adler were merged, and Moriarity was Adler's front, unless I'm confusing
something in Elementary with this show.
I saw that in Elementary, but don't recall it in Sherlock.
go suck an egg.
Adam H. Kerman
2016-01-02 22:48:11 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
and story-telling devices in which the dreamer is dreaming a dream and
can't wake up AND in which Moriarity/Adler is used as the internal
enemy. Since Moriarity is fake and Adler was real, why wouldn't his
internal nemesis by Irene Adler?
I was unclear as to what Irene was doing there at all.
Just in a photograph he carries. There was an episode in which Moriarity
and Adler were merged, and Moriarity was Adler's front, unless I'm confusing
something in Elementary with this show.
I saw that in Elementary, but don't recall it in Sherlock.
I could be wrong, or both shows found a way to annoy me with the same
change to Conan Doyle.
anim8rfsk
2016-01-02 23:33:10 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
and story-telling devices in which the dreamer is dreaming a dream and
can't wake up AND in which Moriarity/Adler is used as the internal
enemy. Since Moriarity is fake and Adler was real, why wouldn't his
internal nemesis by Irene Adler?
I was unclear as to what Irene was doing there at all.
Just in a photograph he carries. There was an episode in which Moriarity
and Adler were merged, and Moriarity was Adler's front, unless I'm confusing
something in Elementary with this show.
I saw that in Elementary, but don't recall it in Sherlock.
Thanks, I though Moriarity in Sherlock was just there to provide
homosexual subtext.
Subtext? I don't think Gatiss and Moffat grasp the concept of subtlety.
anim8rfsk
2016-01-03 18:30:05 UTC
I went ahead and deleted TVD and The Originals.
Oh, boo! BBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
I looked at the upcoming
episode summaries and nothing I read convinced me the series was worth
keeping. Ian, just let me know when the series finale airs, and *maybe*
I'll watch that. :-)
I fully expect that this is the last season of TVD. (Of course, I have
no idea if they can properly resolve the show at this point - it'll be
even worse because I'll bet that Nina Dobrev will refuse to return for
the finale, too...)

As for "The Originals", I dunno if the viewership increases it sees from
DVR viewing will be enough to get it renewed or not... :\
--
"Shall we sit and ponder the futility of caring?" - Morotia M. Black (aka.
2016-01-02 17:58:07 UTC
[What did you watch?]
Not much:

Nashville (recorded) - Penultimate episode before the "Winter finale".
Still no Juliette or Layla, so the episode was a total snooze... >:\

The Rose Bowl - Stanford *manhandled* Iowa to the point where I actually
felt bad for Iowa... :(

Legends (recorded) - Episode #2.6. This was better again, and you can
finally see this starting to move towards a resolution...
In this one "Martin" again has to assume the identity of "legend"
Dmitri (but this has me confused, as I'm pretty sure he did this legend
already back in season #1, which season #2 is basically ignoring as
never having happened... :| ) in order to track down their missing
asset - teenaged Kate. This involves getting both the Czech cop babe,
and Kate's mother, to help "Martin" become "Dmitri" again.
What's left is the "3-episode finale".

Olympus Has Fallen (OnDemand) - I literally missed being able to watch
"Prometheus" for free off OnDemand *by a day*, so I decided to watch
this instead.
This movie doesn't make a lick of sense. I mean, if you seriously
think about it, even just for a second, it completely falls apart...
Thus it's good that having Gerald Butler as the "action hero" helps
distract from that... But the absolute worst part was Dylan McDermott's
character, who may be one of the worst written "villains" I've ever seen
on film!!
Anyway, if you're going to watch this, go into it with *zero*
expectations - 'cos anything more than that, and it will completely ruin
the viewing experience!

Recorded for later: Of all things, *Chiller* was rerunning the Angela
Bettis TV movie version of "Carrie", which I've wanted to see for years
to double-check Emilie de Ravin's performance, so I recorded that for
"lazy day" viewing...
--
"Shall we sit and ponder the futility of caring?" - Morotia M. Black (aka.
Obveeus
2016-01-02 21:45:37 UTC
The Rose Bowl - Stanford *manhandled* Iowa to the point where I actually
felt bad for Iowa... :(
Most all the NCAAF games yesterday were blowouts. On the up side, the
PAC-12 is doing well this bowl season, with only UCLA and USC blowing it
so far.

I watched:

COMEDIANS IN CARS GETTING COFFEE: Typical low key Jerry Seinfeld humor.
There were some good moments/one-liners, but also a lot of stuff that
seemed like talk show level budget cheapness.

THE EXPANSE: I watched the latest episodes over the past week and am
very much enjoying this new series. Mormons in space as an expanding
plotline...too funny. Some good 'sci-fi' within the constraints of the
budget and a show where you cannot simply expect the main/face
characters to survive every situation while the red shirts die.
anim8rfsk
2016-01-02 23:34:59 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Post by Ian J. Ball
The Rose Bowl - Stanford *manhandled* Iowa to the point where I actually
felt bad for Iowa... :(
Most all the NCAAF games yesterday were blowouts. On the up side, the
PAC-12 is doing well this bowl season, with only UCLA and USC blowing it
so far.
COMEDIANS IN CARS GETTING COFFEE: Typical low key Jerry Seinfeld humor.
There were some good moments/one-liners, but also a lot of stuff that
seemed like talk show level budget cheapness.
THE EXPANSE: I watched the latest episodes over the past week and am
very much enjoying this new series. Mormons in space as an expanding
plotline...too funny. Some good 'sci-fi' within the constraints of the
budget and a show where you cannot simply expect the main/face
characters to survive every situation while the red shirts die.
Somebody on my Larry Niven group who is always wrong about everything is
expounding on the wonderfulness of both Childhood's End and The Expanse.
This is not encouraging to me.
2016-01-03 03:03:17 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Post by Ian J. Ball
[...]
If you haven't been watching The Expanse, you missed the younger,
annoying, Royal Pains brother getting beheaded mid-sentence.
--
Now the Force-Ghost of DTravel since he was forced by shame to commit
hara-kiri with a dull light-spork after liking the Abrams/Bad Robot Star
Wars movie.
anim8rfsk
2016-01-03 03:08:44 UTC
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Obveeus
Post by Ian J. Ball
[...]
Oh, Christ, that would be worth it right there.
Not too late to go look it up...
anim8rfsk
2016-01-03 04:44:16 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Obveeus
Post by Ian J. Ball
[...]
Yeah, but do I want to watch JUST that ep?
Wars movie.
Obveeus
2016-01-03 13:33:38 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Post by Ian J. Ball
[...]
Ian is on the Larry Niven Group? ...or is someone trying to steal his
title?
Post by anim8rfsk
is
expounding on the wonderfulness of both Childhood's End and The Expanse.
This is not encouraging to me.
CHILDHOOD'S END was garbage. THE EXPANSE is good and you should watch
all the episodes in order. It may end up as a giant chain yank, ala
LOST, but so far it has been a good sci-fi mystery set in space.
anim8rfsk
2016-01-03 14:44:31 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Obveeus
Post by Ian J. Ball
[...]
Oh, this guy makes Ian seem like a real boy.
Post by Obveeus
Post by anim8rfsk
is
expounding on the wonderfulness of both Childhood's End and The Expanse.
This is not encouraging to me.
CHILDHOOD'S END was garbage. THE EXPANSE is good and you should watch
all the episodes in order. It may end up as a giant chain yank, ala
LOST, but so far it has been a good sci-fi mystery set in space.
Yeah, but you see the conundrum ...
2016-01-03 17:48:16 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Obveeus
Post by anim8rfsk
is
expounding on the wonderfulness of both Childhood's End and The Expanse.
This is not encouraging to me.
CHILDHOOD'S END was garbage. THE EXPANSE is good and you should watch
all the episodes in order. It may end up as a giant chain yank, ala
LOST, but so far it has been a good sci-fi mystery set in space.
Yeah, but you see the conundrum ...
No one's saying you have to tell Ian Senior you're watching it....
Wars movie.
Ian J. Ball
2016-01-03 18:32:25 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Obveeus
THE EXPANSE: I watched the latest episodes over the past week and am
very much enjoying this new series. Mormons in space as an expanding
plotline...too funny. Some good 'sci-fi' within the constraints of the
budget and a show where you cannot simply expect the main/face
characters to survive every situation while the red shirts die.
Somebody on my Larry Niven group who is always wrong about everything
Ian is on the Larry Niven Group? ...or is someone trying to steal his
title?
Oh, this guy makes Ian seem like a real boy.
Is this a Farkle from "Girl Meets World" reference?...
2016-01-04 04:04:36 UTC
In article
Post by Obveeus
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Obveeus
THE EXPANSE: I watched the latest episodes over the past week and am
very much enjoying this new series. Mormons in space as an expanding
plotline...too funny. Some good 'sci-fi' within the constraints of the
budget and a show where you cannot simply expect the main/face
characters to survive every situation while the red shirts die.
Somebody on my Larry Niven group who is always wrong about everything
Ian is on the Larry Niven Group? ...or is someone trying to steal his
title?
Oh, this guy makes Ian seem like a real boy.
Is this a Farkle from "Girl Meets World" reference?...
No. Pinocchio.

"Pinocchio flew with children, Lois ... in a fairy tale."
Hunter >
2016-01-05 05:24:45 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Post by Ian J. Ball
The Rose Bowl - Stanford *manhandled* Iowa to the point where I actually
felt bad for Iowa... :(
THE EXPANSE: I watched the latest episodes over the past week and am
very much enjoying this new series. Mormons in space as an expanding
plotline...too funny. Some good 'sci-fi' within the constraints of the
budget and a show where you cannot simply expect the main/face
characters to survive every situation while the red shirts die.
------
And the Mormons are still wearing the same "uniform" two hundred years
later. :-) But I guess that's okay since Orthodox Jews and the Amish
are still wearing mid to late 19th century clothing and Catholic
Cardinals for example are still wearing clerical garb from a thousand
years ago. :-)

------>Hunter

"No man in the wrong can stand up against
a fellow that's in the right and keeps on acomin'."

-----William J. McDonald
Captain, Texas Rangers from 1891 to 1907

David Barnett
2016-01-03 22:50:52 UTC
On Fri Jan 1 I watched:

INSPECTOR MONTALBANO: A Voice in the Night
This is a 2 hour show with only a few ads.
This episode seems to be the 2nd last one for the time
being.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)(most)
Another long show with interminable battles, and the book
is so slim.
David Barnett
Your Name
2016-01-04 00:30:44 UTC
Post by David Barnett
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)(most)
Another long show with interminable battles, and the book
is so slim.
He had to make it into three movies some how. ;-)