What Did You Watch? 2020-07-31 (Friday)
2020-08-01 08:30:41 UTC

GHOST ADVENTURES:SCREAMING ROOM:
"The Annabelle Investigation". Scoobie Douche and the guys review their
investigation of the "possessed doll" that inspired a bunch of horror
movies.

"It took a worldwide pandemic. It took a 35% plunge in the stock
market. It took quarantining. It took many small businesses closing. It
took canceling practically everything, to bring the USA economy back to
the Obama high mark."
Ian J. Ball
2020-08-01 16:25:40 UTC
I had a long-ish meeting mid-afternoon, which cut down my movie viewing
by at least one... :(

Bad Kids Go To Hell (Prime) - Contrasting this with its sequel, "Bad
Kids of Crestview Academy", "Bad Kids Go To Hell" is much better at
character and character development, and I would say overall has the
better (young) cast. But "Bad Kids Go To Hell" also seems to be much
lower budget, and feels smaller in "scope". Conversely, "Bad Kids of
Crestview Academy" is much worse at character (only Sammi Hanratty's
character seems to be developed at all), but is much better at plotting
and has a stonger story, and seems to have higher budget and is filmed
more strongly.
In terms of "linkage", several characters are in both films: Max the
janitor (Ben Browder), Headmaster Nash (Judd Nelson here, Sean Astin in
the sequel), and Gov/Sen Wilkes (little more than an extra here, but
played by Gina Gershon in the sequel). But I can't figure out what
they're trying to do with Max the janitor - in the original, Max is
little more than a stooge of Wilkes' (though he's using her as much as
the other way around...), but in the sequel he's pretty much the
opposite, and there is no attempt to explain Max's motivations in the
sequel that I can recall...

soaps: B&B - Sally's collapse is caused by a panic attack. Liam shows
up at the hospital, and Bill tells Steffy that he's responsible for the
accident - Steffy is in a lot of pain.
DOOL - Einstein & Einstein (that's Crazy Claire and HottCiara to
you!) go through the list of "potential suspects" for Ben's kidnapping,
which include some ridiculous names (Sonny?! really?!!), but finally
Einstein #1 (Claire) figures out that it's Eve Donovan! (And they don't
immediately go to the cops with their suspicions?!?!!...) Eve plans to
brainwash Ben into strangle-murdering HottCiara (that better not be how
they write her off the show!!). EvenHotterGabi is none too pleased when
Gwen and Jake show up intending to move into the DiMera mansion! Stupid
Allie delivers her baby, and I think Sami is still plotting to figure
out a way into tricking Allie into keeping her baby...
GH - Last rerun of the last "new" episode that aired back in May -
mostly custody hearing stuff: Willow, Nelle, and Julian testify, and
Sam slaps him for it. At the end, NuNina gets ready to testify.

The Last Kingdom (Netflix) - Ep's #4.7 & 4.8. Decent stuff here.
Uhtred returns to the Mercian captial, and "crashes" the Witan
designed to pick the now-dead Aethelred's successor to expose
Eardwulf's treachery and King killing, which throws everything in a
tizzy. Edward throws a fit and imprisons Uhtred for this (Lord
Aethelhelm then has Uhtred beaten, which was a dumb move). Edward
finally realizes Aethelhelm is a snake, and dismisses him back to
Winchester... and then intends to name Uhtred temporary "Lord
Protector" of Mercia... Separately, Eadith brings the sick Aelfwynn
back to the capital in an attempt to save her, and then Aethelflead
hears of this and heads back herself. Aethelflead hears of Edward's
plans for Uhtred in Mercia and demures, thinking Uhtred is not the man
to lead Mercia. She successfully convinces Uhtred, who proposes at the
second Witan that Aethelflead rule Mercia instead! This displeases
Edward, who posts his own troops in the captial in response, but the
Mercians agree, and Aethelflead is named "Lady of Mercia"! (True
historical fact!!) Eventually Edward relents, and Uhtred intents to
return back to his home estate, as he can no longer bang Aethelflead
now that's she (effectively) the "Queen". Separately, Uhtred's son
decides to go back to the monestary, and Aethelflead has no choice but
to effectively "banish" Eadith, so she tags along with Uhtred's crew.
Meanwhile, horrible Brida is rescued in Wales by a new Dane
commander, Sigtryggr, and is then set to the task of sacking and
pillaging the Welsh countryside. Eventually, she comes across Eardwulf,
and together they hatch a plan to attack Winchester, which Sigtryggr
agrees to.

The Wrong Stepfather (LMN) - This would have been more fun if it hadn't
been so dang derivative of the last year's "The Wrong Stepmother",
right down to the new "stepparent" (but not even "official" yet!)
writing up their own essay for the daughter's college admission
application. :|
Still, it's pretty clear that Corin Nemec was having fun here, and
Krista Allen also seemed to enjoying herself playing a not "overtly
sexy" woman/mom (for once!). Sydney Malakeh, who is "new", was OK as
the suspicious ingenue.

Truth or Dare (Netflix) - No, not the 2018 feature film with Lucy Hale,
but the 2017 Siffy TV movie starring Cassie Scerbo. (Sidenote: Scerbo
looks to have put on some weight around the time of this flick - she's
downright "voluptuous" here!)
I guess this did air on Siffy back in 2017 - which is odd, as this
actually seems too "not low-budget enough" to actually be a "Siffy
Saturday night" TV movie. Regardless, I didn't see it back in 2017 on
Siffy - even by that point, Siffy must have stopped regularly running
Saturday night TV movies, and I must have already switched over to
watching Lifetime TV movies by then.
Anyway, the 2018 Lucy Hale flick turned out better than I was
expecting, and this 2017 flick also wasn't too bad - it gets into its
horror premise pretty quickly, and then is a pretty steady "ride" all
the way through to the ending. Added bonus: Heather Langenkamp shows up
in this in a key bit part.
This ends ambiguously, but I don't have a problem with it in the
case of this film...
2020-08-01 17:02:20 UTC
I think Allie runs away with her baby anyway.
Ian J. Ball
2020-08-01 17:58:36 UTC
#1 (Claire) figures out that it's Eve Donovan! (And they don't
immediately go to the cops with their suspicions?!?!!...) Eve plans to
brainwash Ben into strangle-murdering HottCiara (that better not be how
they write her off the show!!). EvenHotterGabi is none too pleased when
Gwen and Jake show up intending to move into the DiMera mansion! Stupid
Allie delivers her baby, and I think Sami is still plotting to figure
out a way into tricking Allie into keeping her baby...
I think Allie runs away with her baby anyway.
I that happens, she's way dumber than I thought.
But she keeps the baby. Just what her mom wants!
BTR1701
2020-08-01 17:23:19 UTC
The Wrong Stepfather (LMN) - This would have been more fun if it hadn't
been so dang derivative of the last year's "The Wrong Stepmother",
right down to the new "stepparent" (but not even "official" yet!)
writing up their own essay for the daughter's college admission
application. :|
I burst out laughing when Vivica Fox-- who now looks nothing like the
superhot stripper I first saw in INDEPENDENCE DAY-- intoned at the end
that the guy is on the run from the police and he won't bother them
anymore because "he's the wrong stepfather!"

Like they felt obligated to have one of the characters explain the title
of the movie to the audience.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Still, it's pretty clear that Corin Nemec was having fun here, and
Krista Allen also seemed to enjoying herself playing a not "overtly
sexy" woman/mom (for once!).
That's because Krista Allen's days of doing that are long over. She used
to be scorchingly hot but the combination of time, radical dieting, and
too much plastic surgery has turned her into a bag of bones with a
stretched out Joker face. "Overtly sexy" is no longer in her repertoire.
Ian J. Ball
2020-08-01 18:04:25 UTC
The Wrong Stepfather (LMN) - This would have been more fun if it hadn't
been so dang derivative of the last year's "The Wrong Stepmother",
right down to the new "stepparent" (but not even "official" yet!)
writing up their own essay for the daughter's college admission
application. :|
I burst out laughing when Vivica Fox-- who now looks nothing like the
superhot stripper I first saw in INDEPENDENCE DAY-- intoned at the end
that the guy is on the run from the police and he won't bother them
anymore because "he's the wrong stepfather!"
Like they felt obligated to have one of the characters explain the title
of the movie to the audience.
That's been added as a "trope" to the more recent "Wrong" TV films from
Hybrid - Vivica has been doing this shtick for about 2 years now.

On occasion, it's been amusing, but I think the trope is now overused,
and a lot of the time Vivica delivers the line wrong IMO.
Still, it's pretty clear that Corin Nemec was having fun here, and
Krista Allen also seemed to enjoying herself playing a not "overtly
sexy" woman/mom (for once!).
That's because Krista Allen's days of doing that are long over. She used
to be scorchingly hot but the combination of time, radical dieting, and
too much plastic surgery has turned her into a bag of bones with a
stretched out Joker face. "Overtly sexy" is no longer in her repertoire.
Yeah, but she's still been *trying* to until very recently (e.g. "Party
Mom"). This seemed like the first role I've seen her in where she was
actually *comfortable* in *not* trying to be hot. (And, FTR, because of
this, she looked better in this than she has in a while...)
2020-08-01 18:11:56 UTC
I had a long-ish meeting mid-afternoon, which cut down my movie viewing
by at least one...  :(
Bad Kids Go To Hell (Prime) - Contrasting this with its sequel, "Bad
Kids of Crestview Academy", "Bad Kids Go To Hell" is much better at
character and character development, and I would say overall has the
better (young) cast. But "Bad Kids Go To Hell" also seems to be much
lower budget, and feels smaller in "scope". Conversely, "Bad Kids of
Crestview Academy" is much worse at character (only Sammi Hanratty's
character seems to be developed at all), but is much better at plotting
and has a stonger story, and seems to have higher budget and is filmed
more strongly.
I generally agree. I thought the sequel was the slightly better movie.
Post by Ian J. Ball
  In terms of "linkage", several characters are in both films: Max the
janitor (Ben Browder), Headmaster Nash (Judd Nelson here, Sean Astin in
the sequel),
I didn't realize Neslon and Astin were the same character.

Post by Ian J. Ball
played by Gina Gershon in the sequel).
They give Gershon a lot more to do in the sequel.

But I can't figure out what
Post by Ian J. Ball
they're trying to do with Max the janitor - in the original, Max is
little more than a stooge of Wilkes' (though he's using her as much as
the other way around...), but in the sequel he's pretty much the
opposite, and there is no attempt to explain Max's motivations in the
sequel that I can recall...
AGREED!!! I could not figure out what was up with him. I think there
might have been a slight retcon with the first movie implying more of
supernatural element that might or might not have been real. Then in
the sequel when all the bugs crawl over him they seemed to be confirming
the supernatural aspect. Then they seemed to say no, it's not. I could
not figure out what was happening with his character and the bugs.
Although it was clear in both movies there was a lot more going on with
him than they made clear.

snip
Post by Ian J. Ball
The Wrong Stepfather (LMN) - This would have been more fun if it hadn't
been so dang derivative of the last year's "The Wrong Stepmother",
snip.
I have both of these saved for later. I started to watch, but didn't
finish, "The Wrong Wedding Planner". I thought all three movies might
be connected since they feature Vivica A. Fox, but I guess not. Are the
stepfather and stepmother connected? I know they both have Corin Nemec.
Post by Ian J. Ball
[...]
I've only seen the 2018 version, and didn't care for it.

I watched:

Bad Kids Go To Hell (Amazon streaming) - See above.
I watched the sequel this morning and commented in yesterday's thread.

The Umbrella Academy (Netflix streaming) - "Right Back Where We Started"
Season 2 kicks off with the gang failing to prevent the apocalypse in
2020 but being sent back in time to different periods around 1960-1963.
Number 5 is the last to arrive and learns there is a new apocalypse they
need to prevent in 1963.
Ian J. Ball
2020-08-01 18:43:26 UTC
The Wrong Stepfather (LMN) - This would have been more fun if it hadn't
been so dang derivative of the last year's "The Wrong Stepmother",
snip.
I have both of these saved for later. I started to watch, but didn't
finish, "The Wrong Wedding Planner". I thought all three movies might
be connected since they feature Vivica A. Fox, but I guess not.
These TV movies are all produced by Hybrid Pictures, and Vivica Fox is
one of the producers.

Vivica appears in something like 17-ish out of 20-ish "Wrong" pictures,
failing to appear in just a few of the early ones (e.g. I'm pretty sure
she's not in "The Wrong House" and one or two others...).

So they are "connected" in terms of production, overlapping cast, and
similar "themes" and plots. But I don't think any have led to "sequel"
"Wrong" movies yet.

(This is unlike something like "The Killer Downstairs" and "The Killer
in the Guest House", or "Stalker's Prey" and "A Predator's Obsession:
Stalker's Prey 2", with the latter explicitly being "sequels" to the
former, or the "Stalked by My Doctor" series. But this is relatively
rare with Lifetime flicks - they rarely have "sequels", even when they
probably should...)
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Are the stepfather and stepmother connected? I know they both have
Corin Nemec.
Not at all - in "The Wrong Stepmother", Corin is the "good guy" who is
"duped" by Cindy Busby (daughter Calli Taylor figures out she is
evil!). In "The Wrong Stepfather", Corin is a totally different
character, this time the "bad guy" (with daughter Sydney Malakeh
figuring out he is evil!).
[...]
I suspect you might like this one more than the 2018 one - the 2017
version is "grittier" and more traditional horror.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Bad Kids Go To Hell (Amazon streaming) - See above.
I watched the sequel this morning and commented in yesterday's thread.
The Umbrella Academy (Netflix streaming) - "Right Back Where We
Started" Season 2 kicks off with the gang failing to prevent the
apocalypse in 2020 but being sent back in time to different periods
around 1960-1963. Number 5 is the last to arrive and learns there is a
new apocalypse they need to prevent in 1963.
Just can't make myself to get into this one...
2020-08-01 19:12:19 UTC
[...]
Well that's just wrong! :-/
I guess I'll still watch them. I'll save reading your recap until then.
[...]
I just finished episode 2, and I was reminded how one of the major
problems with the first season was the character just never talking to
each other. Had they bothered to talk, a *lot* of the problems they
encountered could have been avoided. This season most of them are
separated so that can't talk. But even when they run into each other,
they still avoid coordinating their efforts. I forgot how frustrated
that could be until it started to play out again.

One of the most powerful characters can alter reality just by speaking.
So of course she's not using her powers, because reasons. This is
frustrating!

Nevertheless, it holds my interest and it's occasionally funny.
anim8rfsk
2020-08-03 05:51:00 UTC
The Wrong Stepfather (LMN) - This would have been more fun if it hadn't
been so dang derivative of the last year's "The Wrong Stepmother",
snip.
I have both of these saved for later. I started to watch, but didn't
finish, "The Wrong Wedding Planner". I thought all three movies might
be connected since they feature Vivica A. Fox, but I guess not.
These TV movies are all produced by Hybrid Pictures, and Vivica Fox is
one of the producers.
Vivica appears in something like 17-ish out of 20-ish "Wrong" pictures,
Your Wiki says she's been in 9 of them. It also says stuff like:

"In the same time, she was casted in the television film The Wrong Roommate"

You might want to give this a going over in, you know, English.
2020-08-03 06:31:09 UTC
The Wrong Stepfather (LMN) - This would have been more fun if it hadn't
been so dang derivative of the last year's "The Wrong Stepmother",
snip.
I have both of these saved for later. I started to watch, but didn't
finish, "The Wrong Wedding Planner". I thought all three movies might
be connected since they feature Vivica A. Fox, but I guess not.
These TV movies are all produced by Hybrid Pictures, and Vivica Fox is
one of the producers.
Vivica appears in something like 17-ish out of 20-ish "Wrong" pictures,
That's out-of-date: she's been in more than 9 of them. As of... let's
say, 6 months ago, she had been in 13 of 16 or 17, and there's
definitely been 2 or 3 more since then (and she was definitely in all
of those...).
Post by anim8rfsk
"In the same time, she was casted in the television film The Wrong Roommate"
You might want to give this a going over in, you know, English.
I am pretty tired of trying to "fix" the Wiki - there are many, many
idiots editing, and they are constantly making things worse.
2020-08-03 17:01:21 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
"In the same time, she was casted in the television film The Wrong Roommate"
You might want to give this a going over in, you know, English.
I am pretty tired of trying to "fix" the Wiki - there are many, many
idiots editing, and they are constantly making things worse.
Yeah, that's why I bailed, and studiously ignore their requests for money.
2020-08-10 05:22:07 UTC
[...]
YouTube suggested I watch this video:

I really have to wonder exactly *how* did the algorithm *know* to
recommend that video.
Adam H. Kerman
2020-08-10 05:34:39 UTC
http://youtu.be/E7mhMZKm1Ko
Creepy how it knows what you discussed on Usenet recently, ain't it.
Arthur Lipscomb
2020-08-10 07:22:50 UTC
[...]
Yes! I'm sure I didn't search Google or Youtube for anything related to
those movies.

Last year, I think a few days after I came home from vacation I received
an email, I think from Apple. It included my entire vacation literary.
Every where I went. The time of day I was there, and map/satellite
photos of the buildings. Now *that* was creepy! I have *no* idea why
someone thought it would be a good idea to email me something like that.
But at least after I received I was able to go into settings on my
phone and delete any and all tracking options I could find. If the
government was doing stuff like this there would be pitchforks out. But
when it's a private company people just shrug their shoulders and ignore
it. Well I guess until they get a friendly email with detailed
information on everywhere they went.

anim8rfsk
2020-08-10 05:49:38 UTC
[...]
It's all becoming very Forbin Project.
2020-08-10 06:00:30 UTC
[...]
Cool. So they're sending me a hot nubile young research assistant so I
can get secret messages out?