What Did You Watch? 2020-10-04 (Sunday)
2020-10-05 08:30:41 UTC
I day I configured TV+ on my smart TV, I watched:

WE ARE THE 80'S

WE ARE THE 80'S

WE ARE THE 80'S

WE ARE THE 80'S

THE NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN:
"The Monkey Mystery". Louis accidentally gets a secret message from an
organ-grinder monkey.

THE NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN:
"A Night of Terror". Lois is terrorized by a hoodlem at a cheap cabin
motel in Canada.

LIFE, LIBERTY, & LEVIN:
Mark's interview with Sen. Ted Cruz, for the entire hour!

FAMILY GUY:
"The Talented Mr. Stewie"
Stewie "breaks up with" Rupert after learning that he used to belong to
Chris. Unable to get over his feelings of betrayal, Stewie decides to take
action. Not particuarlt memorable.

"I know there is an argument that no [SCotUS] nominee should be voted
on in the last year of a presidency. But there is nothing in the
Constitution - or our history - to support this view.".
- Joe Biden 2016
Ian J. Ball
2020-10-05 16:29:28 UTC
The Society (Netflix) - "Poison" (ep. #8). For once (for once!!), this
show actually puts out an episode that delivers.
It's the Thanksgiving feast, and Elle is unable to intercept her
poisoned pumpkin pie before several people, including Allie! ingest it,
so Elle takes several big bites of her pie herself to either, 1) throw
suspicion off herself, or 2) because she just wants to die with her
plan to kill Campbell failed.
As they're all celebrating, the "improv" group puts on a show for
everyone in attendance, but it's quickly hijacked by Lexie (Grace
Victoria Cox, from UNDER THE DUMB season #2) who turns into an explicit
criticsm of Allie's "reign". That quickly brings the feativities to a
close.
Within a few hours, Allie and several others get violently ill. They
end up at the hospital, under Kelly's care!! (with Gordie assisting).
Elle actually goes into convulsions, and Campbell grabs her and brings
her to the hospital too. Kelly manages to figure out how to put IV's
in, and I guess she pumps them full of saline, which works. Elle
recovers, but doesn't want to, so they have to restrain her. Allie also
recoves, with Will looking on, and Kelly realizes the Will is in love
with Allie, not her.
Gordie soon realizes that this isn't "food poisoning", but an
*actual* poisoning. Campbell covers for Elle, and they quickly settle
on Lexie as the likely culprit, and she's humiliated by Clark and
especially Jason in interrogation. To further drive home that Allie is
terrible at this job, when Lexie complains about her interrogation
treatment to Allie, Allie totally dismisses Lexie, further inflaming
Lexie's rage.
Allie does however relent to Will's suggestion for an election (and
I'm guessing Lexie wil end up being her main opponent). Finally,
Campbell figures out that Elle was behind the poisoning, and instead of
being vengeful is actually *turned on* by it! Elle vigorously denies
it, but Elle's poisoning attempt and willingness to let others get sick
and potentially die from it shows to Campbell that "We're the same!"
Just two more episodes to go, and there's no way in Hell this ends
on anything other than a massive unresolved cliffhanger. :|

golf - Sergio Garcia manages his first win since 2017 by winning the
Sanderson Farms Championship (in Jackson, Miss.!) by birdieing the last
hole.

Coroner (recorded) - "Bridges" (ep. #1.8). We finally find out what
happened with the death of Jenny's older sister all those years ago,
and the revelation is... underwhelming. A development like this
probably works better in book form - in TV series form, it just comes
off kind of cliched and uninteresting. (But it does finally explain why
Jenny is such a headcase...)
Meanwhile, it turns out the the pathologist that Jenny fired was
murdered by the homeless-killing serial killer. The rib bone MacAvoy
found in the previous episode turns out to be the killer's first
victim, which also turns out to be the killer's father. With Jenny and
Mac having the killer dead-to-rights, the killer goes after Jenny, and
thus this storyline resolves too.
This coming Wednesday is episode #2.1, with Jenny sporting a
slightly different look, and appearing less twitchy. (But I'm not
looking forward to season #2 much with the knowledge that Nigel Bennett
won't be in it... :| )

Cheer Squad Secrets (Lifetime) - I actually didn't care too much for
this one - often a Lifetime flick is made by how good (or bad) the
"villain" is (e.g. Ashlynn Yennie usually makes for a good villain!!),
and I didn't find the deranged EVOL!!1! cheer coach in this flick
particularly interesting. Neither are 'roided out tenagers.
(This flick was also incredibly light on the actual cheerleading -
at least something like "The Secret Life of Cheerleaders" mostly
delivers on showing some cheerleading.)
On the plus side, I do like Margaret Anne Florence. And Karis
Cameron looks to have lost weight since "Identity Theft of a
Cheerleader" and looks better.

Recorded for later: Pandora (season premiere).
2020-10-05 19:35:45 UTC
[...]
What happened?

and
Post by Ian J. Ball
[...]
It's nice not having to wait several months for a new season to start.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Cheer Squad Secrets (Lifetime) - I actually didn't care too much for
this one - often a Lifetime flick is made by how good (or bad) the
"villain" is (e.g. Ashlynn Yennie usually makes for a good villain!!),
and I didn't find the deranged EVOL!!1! cheer coach in this flick
particularly interesting. Neither are 'roided out tenagers.
  (This flick was also incredibly light on the actual cheerleading - at
least something like "The Secret Life of Cheerleaders" mostly delivers
on showing some cheerleading.)
   On the plus side, I do like Margaret Anne Florence. And Karis
Cameron looks to have lost weight since "Identity Theft of a
Cheerleader" and looks better.
Recorded for later: Pandora (season premiere).
My DVR recorded it too. Now I have to finish watching the first season.

I watched:

Evolution (Starz) - 2001 Ivan Reitman comedy stars David Duchovny,
Orlando Jones, Seann William Scott and Julianne Moore. After a meteor
crashes in a small dessert community, a pair of college professors
Duchovny and Jones) discover it carried life that is evolving billions
of years in a matter of days. This is such a frustrating movie for me
to watch. I *want* to like it more than I do, but it never rises above
mediocre. It has such a great premise, but it just doesn't work as a
comedy. I haven't watched this since the original release. I was
hoping it would be better than I remember, but it's not.

Lovecraft Country "Jig-A-Bobo" - So last week we got the adventures of
Hippolyta through space and time. This week the focus is on her
daughter Diana. With her father dead and her mother missing Diana is
taking it hard enough. But when cops come looking for her mother, they
put a spell on her causing her to be haunted by a pair of truly ghoulish
looking demons that only she can see. Since no one bothered to tell her
magic exists, she's pretty much on her own in dealing with it. Another
solid episode with some great twists and turns throughout. And those
demons or whatever were *creepy*!

Blackish - "Election Special Pt. 1 & 2" - Two pretty good and
informative episodes. First up Jr. learns he's been removed from the
voting rolls. In the Second episode Dre's boss decides to run for
Congress. The second episode was all animated, I'm guess due to COVID.

Family Guy - "The Talented Mr. Stewie" - Steiw plots to murder Chris
after learning he also owned Rupert when he was a child.

Tremors 3: Back to Perfection (blu-ray) 2001 direct to video movie with
Burt returning to Perfection to kill more graboids. And this time there
are "ass blaster." I have *no* memory of this movie, but I must have
watched it because I remember the name.

Tremors 4: The Legend Begins (blu-ray) 2004 direct to video movie set in
the 1800s. It focused on Burts' ancestor (also played by Michael Gross)
as he comes to town and helps save the day from the town's graboid problem.
Ian J. Ball
2020-10-05 19:50:24 UTC
Coroner (recorded) - "Bridges" (ep. #1.8). We finally find out what
happened with the death of Jenny's older sister all those years ago,
What happened?
Jenny killed her sister (accidentally) as a child when she pushed her,
and the sister fell over the railing at the top of the stairs. I guess
the father than killed the dog, to blame the fall on the dog. Jenny
then blocked it all out until she finally remembers when the serial
killer is trying to kill her.
[...]
Yes.

It's too bad Fox is also not running the second season of "L.A.'s
Finest" by the same token.

(OTOH, I am not even bothering with "Tell Me a Story", not even season #2....)
2020-10-05 20:33:20 UTC
Coroner (recorded) - "Bridges" (ep. #1.8). We finally find out what
happened with the death of Jenny's older sister all those years ago,
What happened?
Jenny killed her sister (accidentally) as a child when she pushed her,
and the sister fell over the railing at the top of the stairs. I guess
the father than killed the dog, to blame the fall on the dog. Jenny then
blocked it all out until she finally remembers when the serial killer is
trying to kill her.
Thanks.
[...]
I had a backlog of Tell Me a Story then decided to just delete them. I
still "Charmed" sitting on the DVR. If I don't start watching before
season 2, I may delete it.
Ian J. Ball
2020-10-05 20:39:26 UTC
[...]
"Charmed" is up to *season #3* in January 2021! ;p
2020-10-06 00:24:15 UTC
[...]
Yes, I have the back half of season 2 sitting on my DVR. It's a bubble
show for me. I generally like it when I'm watching, but once it starts
to backlog, I never feel like catching up. Especially, if I hit a bad
patch, which is what I think I was in when I stopped watching.
Micky DuPree
2020-10-17 17:10:37 UTC
Blackish - "Election Special Pt. 1 & 2" - Two pretty good and
informative episodes. First up Jr. learns he's been removed from the
voting rolls. In the Second episode Dre's boss decides to run for
Congress. The second episode was all animated, I'm guess due to COVID.
They both did the serious themes well and also gave me some chuckles
along the way.

-Micky

David Johnston
2020-10-06 00:36:36 UTC
Mission Impossible: Butterfly: <wince> An angry Japanese magnate who
hates the Japanese relationship with the United States and white people
in general murders his sister because she married an American who he
wants to frame for the murder. There are some problems.

1. The bad guy holds his niece in contempt of course because of her
mixed blood. The actress however looks like her ancestry is entirely
Japanese.

2. Leonard Nimoy on the other is posing as a Japanese man in front of
the anti-European bigot with his taller than average for American
height, lantern jaw and big nose very much in evidence. The only way he
could look less Japanese is if he was blond.

3. They neither knew nor cared how Japan treats people in custody. No,
they do not leave them alone in a holding cell so that they can talk to
American agents or be murdered. They interrogate them non-stop until
they get the inevitable confession.

You know, it wasn't a bad idea for MI to set most of their foreign
adventures in imaginary countries. The great thing about imaginary
countries is that you can never get them wrong.

Superhero Girls: Diana gets an egg from home and after it hatches into
a griffin reconsiders her breakfast plans. The moral of the story turns
out to be "Don't try to make wild animals your pet".

American Greed: The perp du jour is a military veteran who fakes
serious injury and PTSD on his return from Iraq to defraud the United
States government. Never trust a a guy so fond making sure everyone
knows he has a purple heart.

Batman Year One. I find myself still annoyed by Selina Kyle as a
dominatrix. What is it with that guy and prostitutes? Gordon left
Flass naked at night in the snow. Flass was going to freeze to death.
I'm really tired of seeing Bruce Waynes parents get shot. It's
impossible for a bat to hit a window that hard. In the original story,
the window was just open. Prosecutor is not a blue collar job.