Netflix series about Menendez brothers prompts Gascon to consider retrial/resentencing
Add Reply
Rhino
2024-10-04 15:36:05 UTC
Uber-progressive District Attorney George Gascon thinks that the
Menendez brothers may deserve a new trial or resentencing (which sounds
more like parole) in the wake of evidence from a Netflix series that the
brothers were molested by their father and therefore was justifiably
killed. (Presumably, this logic will be extended to the mother by
arguing that she knew what was going on and didn't do enough to stop the
abuse and therefore killing her was also justified.)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/monicamercuri/2024/10/03/the-menendez-brothers-will-get-a-new-court-hearing-following-netflixs-monsters/

While it is very much "on brand" for Gascon to find reasons to excuse
heinous acts, I have to imagine that this is not going to help his
chances of being re-elected. As I understand it, there was virtually NO
sympathy for the brothers during their original trials.
Rhino
BTR1701
2024-10-04 18:50:22 UTC
Post by Rhino
Uber-progressive District Attorney George Gascon thinks that the
Menendez brothers may deserve a new trial or resentencing (which sounds
more like parole) in the wake of evidence from a Netflix series that the
brothers were molested by their father and therefore was justifiably
killed. (Presumably, this logic will be extended to the mother by
arguing that she knew what was going on and didn't do enough to stop the
abuse and therefore killing her was also justified.)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/monicamercuri/2024/10/03/the-menendez-brothers-wi
ll-get-a-new-court-hearing-following-netflixs-monsters/
While it is very much "on brand" for Gascon to find reasons to excuse
heinous acts, I have to imagine that this is not going to help his
chances of being re-elected. As I understand it, there was virtually NO
sympathy for the brothers during their original trials.
Gascon is polling at 25% to his challenger Nathan Hochmann at 70%. His
campaign is bankrupt-- his last report to the state controller listed
his funds at $15,000 vs $3,000,000 for his opponent. He's not running
any ads on TV-- he can't afford them-- and seems like he's all but given
up.

Fingers crossed that if Prop 36 (the overhaul of Prop 47) passes and
Hochmann wins, life in L.A. County will start to return to normal again.
Ian J. Ball
2024-10-04 19:06:18 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Rhino
[...]
I'm amazed there's not a big campaign to defeat Prop 36. All the money
seems to be going into the dumb rent control initiative which is on the
ballot for like the 10th time in a row (which should not be allowed -
defeated props should automatically have a significant "cooldown time"
before they can be brought back to the ballot...)
BTR1701
2024-10-04 19:32:06 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by BTR1701
Post by Rhino
[...]
his funds at $15,000 vs $3,000,000 for Hochmann. He's not running
any ads on TV-- he can't afford them-- and seems like he's all but given
up.
Fingers crossed that if Prop 36 (the overhaul of Prop 47) passes and
Hochmann wins, life in L.A. County will start to return to normal again.
I'm amazed there's not a big campaign to defeat Prop 36.
I think they blew their wad trying to defeat 36 before it was certified
with all the sneaky tricks and maneuvers in the Assembly that ultimately
failed. They see the polls on 36 and just don't think it's worth it to
throw millions away trying to defeat what seems to be a fait accompli.
Agreed. At least 10 years.
Rhino
2024-10-04 20:10:24 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Rhino
[...]
I hope Californians are soon able to look back on the recent years as
just a very bad patch that might have been a worthy experiment on paper
but needs to be remembered so that it never gets tried again.
Rhino
Ian J. Ball
2024-10-05 00:06:24 UTC
Post by Rhino
Post by BTR1701
Post by Rhino
[...]
No chance - the "progressive" voters and pols here are only likely to do
other things that will make it worse and worse.
Rhino
2024-10-05 03:04:19 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Rhino
Post by BTR1701
Post by Rhino
[...]
What is WRONG with these people? Are they incapable of learning from
their mistakes? Even the Soviets eventually understood that the jig was
up on their social experiment....
Rhino
BTR1701
2024-10-15 00:24:23 UTC
Post by Rhino
Post by Rhino
Uber-progressive District Attorney George Gascon thinks that the
Menendez brothers may deserve a new trial or resentencing (which sounds
more like parole) in the wake of evidence from a Netflix series that the
brothers were molested by their father and therefore was justifiably
killed. (Presumably, this logic will be extended to the mother by
arguing that she knew what was going on and didn't do enough to stop the
abuse and therefore killing her was also justified.)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/monicamercuri/2024/10/03/the-menendez-brothers-wi
ll-get-a-new-court-hearing-following-netflixs-monsters/
While it is very much "on brand" for Gascon to find reasons to excuse
heinous acts, I have to imagine that this is not going to help his
chances of being re-elected. As I understand it, there was virtually NO
sympathy for the brothers during their original trials.
Gascon is polling at 25% to his challenger Nathan Hochman at 70%. His
campaign is bankrupt-- his last report to the state controller listed
his funds at $15,000 vs $3,000,000 for his opponent. He's not running
any ads on TV-- he can't afford them-- and seems like he's all but given
up.
Fingers crossed that if Prop 36 (the overhaul of Prop 47) passes and
Hochman wins, life in L.A. County will start to return to normal again.
I hope Californians are soon able to look back on the recent years as
just a very bad patch that might have been a worthy experiment on paper
but needs to be remembered so that it never gets tried again.
Since she's a registered Los Angeles County voter, Kammie has been asked
several times how she's going to vote on Prop 36 and who she's going to vote
for in the district attorney's race. She refuses to say. Which pretty much
means "No" and "Gascon".

Considering she was one of the architects of the scam that got Prop 47 passed
in the first place by lying and naming it the "Safe Neighborhoods and Schools
Act" rather than the much more accurate "Let's Decriminalize Drugs and Let
People Steal Anything That's Not Nailed Down Act", it's no surprise she wants
nothing to do with the utter repudiation of her best work called Prop 36.

And she was one of Gascon's biggest cheerleaders the first time around, so of
course she'll be voting for him again.

But Kammie's people know that the California public has had enough of both
(Prop 36 is polling at 88% for passage and Gascon is losing to Hochman by a
margin of 4-1) that they won't let her voice public support for Gascon or
opposition to Prop 36. They don't want to draw any attention to how much of
the filth and degradation that has descended on California in the last 10
years can be laid at her door.
Ian J. Ball
2024-10-15 00:43:41 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Rhino
Post by Rhino
[...]
Which kind of shows you how bad the Trump campaign is - they should be
running ads on all of that, 24/7.
Post by BTR1701
But Kammie's people know that the California public has had enough of both
(Prop 36 is polling at 88% for passage and Gascon is losing to Hochman by a
margin of 4-1) that they won't let her voice public support for Gascon or
opposition to Prop 36. They don't want to draw any attention to how much of
the filth and degradation that has descended on California in the last 10
years can be laid at her door.
I saw the first anti-Prop 36 ad yesterday. (I'm shicked I haven't seem
more.)

While I still expect it to pass, if they can run anti-Prop 36 ads over
the next month, I bet they can get the "Yes" vote down to 60% or even
55%. This is California, afterall...
BTR1701
2024-10-15 01:01:41 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by BTR1701
Post by Rhino
Post by Rhino
[...]
Agreed. There's *so* much more they could be doing and so many opportunities
missed.
Don't even say such things lest you speak it into existence!
The Horny Goat
2024-10-15 04:15:03 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Since she's a registered Los Angeles County voter, Kammie has been asked
several times how she's going to vote on Prop 36 and who she's going to vote
for in the district attorney's race. She refuses to say. Which pretty much
means "No" and "Gascon".
If I were her and asked that question I'd probably say laughingly "Oh
probably for the Democrat..." just like I'd expect Trump to say the
opposite.

Why anybody is surprised surprises me.

Ubiquitous
2024-10-06 08:30:41 UTC
Post by Rhino
Uber-progressive District Attorney George Gascon thinks that the
Menendez brothers may deserve a new trial or resentencing (which sounds
more like parole) in the wake of evidence from a Netflix series that the
brothers were molested by their father and therefore was justifiably
killed. (Presumably, this logic will be extended to the mother by
arguing that she knew what was going on and didn't do enough to stop the
abuse and therefore killing her was also justified.)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/monicamercuri/2024/10/03/the-menendez-brothers-will-get-a-new-court-hearing-following-netflixs-monsters/
While it is very much "on brand" for Gascon to find reasons to excuse
heinous acts, I have to imagine that this is not going to help his
chances of being re-elected. As I understand it, there was virtually NO
sympathy for the brothers during their original trials.
Sympathy shouldn't have anything to do with it. They killed their parents.

Let's go Brandon!
Adam H. Kerman
2024-10-06 15:33:43 UTC
Post by Rhino
Uber-progressive District Attorney George Gascon thinks that the
Menendez brothers may deserve a new trial or resentencing (which sounds
more like parole) in the wake of evidence from a Netflix series that the
brothers were molested by their father and therefore was justifiably
killed.
Have pity on the poor orphans.